Christmas gifts & paradigm shifts | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Christmas gifts & paradigm shifts

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Monday, December 25, 2006
Backstage Categories:

It’s Christmas morning - between this and the end of Hanukkah, the presents have been flowing a plenty around iLounge HQ, and at least speaking for myself, there have been a couple of big non-iPod surprises.

Out: Sirius Satellite Radio. Despite my continued interest in one of the radio’s channels - Howard 100 - I turned down gift renewals of my current two Sirius subscriptions because there just wasn’t enough else there to keep me interested for the price. Unless there’s a major price drop in 2007 to spur subscriptions, I think I’m giving up on satellite radio for the time being; some smart new ideas (paid podcasts of content, iTunes sales of past shows) are going to be needed to offset subscription costs and make this format more viable.

In: PlayStation 3. I had no idea that I’d wind up with one of these, and honestly would not have bought one for myself - the price is really just insane, and with exclusive titles bleeding off left and right (Virtua Fighter 5 to Xbox 360 and Dragon Quest 9 to Nintendo DS this past week), we’re now taking bets as to whether the PS3 will sell 10 million units by the end of calendar year 2007. (My bet: Despite the poor decisions made to date, Sony can’t afford not to have this happen, and will do what it takes.) Though the games I’m most interested in aren’t yet available (VF5, Virtua Tennis 3), and the games that are out are also crazy expensive ($60 each? No.), for now, I’m glad to have Ridge Racer 7, Resistance, and Fight Night 3 to play with.

One really positive note on the PS3: Though it’s loaded up with way too many license agreements - guys, it’s time to find some better lawyers - Sony’s download service for the system is otherwise easy to use, and packed with lots of free demos, most for PS3 but also some for the PSP. Hook up the console, and within 15 minutes, you can start loading the hard disk up with all sorts of cool high-def games to play, or transfer a LocoRoco demo to your PSP. I was impressed, and have to concede that even though Sony’s hardware isn’t priced right, a major problem, it now has the basics of the big picture (console, portable, online) infrastructure in place to win the interactive entertainment battle. But then, Nintendo is quite well-poised, too, and the only big piece Microsoft lacks is a portable Xbox. Hmmmm….

What sorts of non-iPod gifts did you guys get? What do you think?

« MacBook gets RhinoSkinned

Wii Weather: Will iTV match its stickiness? »

Comments

Arg!!! I got a white DS but i really want a black one.  I’ve checked everywhere but can’t seem to find one.  Don’t want to regret opening the white one like I did with my MacBook.  ARG!

Posted by Zac Shuck on December 27, 2006 at 12:15 AM (PDT)

i got some jammies :D

Posted by Just me on December 27, 2006 at 4:14 AM (PDT)

Got a picture of a wii. I am continuing my hunt for the real thing.

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on December 27, 2006 at 11:16 AM (PDT)

Digital Camera… smile

Posted by iPodFreq---|| on December 27, 2006 at 5:07 PM (PDT)

“the games that are out are also crazy expensive ($60 each? No.)”

I’m suprised that they are that cheap. In the UK, DS games are £30 ($58), PSP games are £35 ($68), PS2 games are £30 ($58), Wii games are £40 ($77) and Xbox 360 games are £40-50 ($77-$97).
And yes, I know we pay more fo everything, but PS3 games are a bargain in America.

Posted by K. Pilkington on January 2, 2007 at 10:12 AM (PDT)

I couldn’t disagree more about satellite radio.  I have Sirius and I could never go back to FM radio again.  For only $12 a month, I have so much music to listen to, it’s amazing.  Add to that Howard Stern (worth the price alone) and news and it’s the greatest deal in entertainment.

Posted by Fred on January 5, 2007 at 10:42 AM (PDT)