Christmas gifts & paradigm shifts
It’s Christmas morning - between this and the end of Hanukkah, the presents have been flowing a plenty around iLounge HQ, and at least speaking for myself, there have been a couple of big non-iPod surprises.
Out: Sirius Satellite Radio. Despite my continued interest in one of the radio’s channels - Howard 100 - I turned down gift renewals of my current two Sirius subscriptions because there just wasn’t enough else there to keep me interested for the price. Unless there’s a major price drop in 2007 to spur subscriptions, I think I’m giving up on satellite radio for the time being; some smart new ideas (paid podcasts of content, iTunes sales of past shows) are going to be needed to offset subscription costs and make this format more viable.
In: PlayStation 3. I had no idea that I’d wind up with one of these, and honestly would not have bought one for myself - the price is really just insane, and with exclusive titles bleeding off left and right (Virtua Fighter 5 to Xbox 360 and Dragon Quest 9 to Nintendo DS this past week), we’re now taking bets as to whether the PS3 will sell 10 million units by the end of calendar year 2007. (My bet: Despite the poor decisions made to date, Sony can’t afford not to have this happen, and will do what it takes.) Though the games I’m most interested in aren’t yet available (VF5, Virtua Tennis 3), and the games that are out are also crazy expensive ($60 each? No.), for now, I’m glad to have Ridge Racer 7, Resistance, and Fight Night 3 to play with.
One really positive note on the PS3: Though it’s loaded up with way too many license agreements - guys, it’s time to find some better lawyers - Sony’s download service for the system is otherwise easy to use, and packed with lots of free demos, most for PS3 but also some for the PSP. Hook up the console, and within 15 minutes, you can start loading the hard disk up with all sorts of cool high-def games to play, or transfer a LocoRoco demo to your PSP. I was impressed, and have to concede that even though Sony’s hardware isn’t priced right, a major problem, it now has the basics of the big picture (console, portable, online) infrastructure in place to win the interactive entertainment battle. But then, Nintendo is quite well-poised, too, and the only big piece Microsoft lacks is a portable Xbox. Hmmmm….
What sorts of non-iPod gifts did you guys get? What do you think?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?