Churrascaria Plataforma in Manhattan? Eh.
Published: Saturday, September 3, 2005
Once in a while, I put up a Brazilian steakhouse story here to gather reader opinions on the best such restaurants in the United States. This particular establishment has served as a taunt for literally years now. “Oh,” friends would say, “[Brazilian steakhouse] Fogo de Chao is great, but Churrascaria Plataforma in Manhattan is the best.” As a fan of rodizio and churrasco - the endless cavalcade of grilled meats brought to your table on skewers and cut off by the slice to your liking - this was torture for me. It was (nearly) like being told that you hadn’t experienced your very favorite food ever until you went to this one special place - on the other side of the country.
So since I just happened to be in town anyway, I went there with my cousin and his wife - a vegetarian - to experience what was billed by friends as a premium-quality all-you-can-eat dinner and dessert experience, with filet mignon and an incredible cart full of exotic desserts (“I’ll take 3,” a friend claimed he’d said, before receiving them) as the anticipated highlights. Unlike Fogo, which is typically crowded and quiet, Plataforma was crowded and loud, smaller than I’d imagined, and yet not as cozy. A good but not astounding salad bar was there for my cousin’s wife. At the start of the meal, as is custom, we each received a card with green and red sides: green meant “keep bringing meat,” red meant “I’m pausing.”
Let’s just say that Fogo de Chao (now in Beverly Hills, Chicago, Atlanta, two cities in Texas, and Brazil) doesn’t have anything to be worried about. If Plataforma once served filet and all-you-can-eat desserts, and had exemplary service, they don’t any more, which we learned the hard way after discontinuing our meat service early. After two of us had eaten roughly $10 worth of meat - and not in any sort of boorish, loud, or crazy way - that process was hastened along by a waiter who walked by and pocketed two of our red and green cards without explanation. We found out that filet is not served, and dessert is now a la carte at around $7 a plate. When the check arrived, we were also charged for a $40 bottle of wine we’d neither ordered nor received. This charge was almost incidental given the size of the bill.
Generally, what we were served was good, but not special. One of our three desserts - chocolate mousse - was amazingly rich and delicious, while the other two were finished without comment and not finished, respectively. And not because of full stomachs. The meats and salad bar were almost forgettable, especially by comparison with Fogo, which consistently serves staggeringly tasty cuts of beef, regardless of grade.
It was a lot of hype without delivery, the sort of thing that so often makes me indifferent (or worse) about Manhattan. Apparently this is a recent problem, and with restaurants, I’ve now learned that I should check recent reviews before getting too excited. Thankfully, the company was good, and made the experience worthwhile, but I’m glad I didn’t come all the way here for this. Anyone else try Plataforma? Thoughts? Comparisons?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Razer iOS controller leaked
- U.S. Apple Stores now using iBeacon
- Apps: Assassin’s Creed Pirates, Doctor Who: Legacy, Double Dragon Trilogy + Foursquare 7.0
- Apple patent reveals ‘smart dock’ for Siri use
- Bluetooth 4.1 announced as free update for 4.0 devices
- Apple and China Mobile make iPhone deal?
- Startup uses iBeacon to allow Newsstand publication access
- Honda announces iPhone-powered car touchscreen
- Report: Apple may launch two 12.9-inch iPads
- Apps: Jetpack Joyride 1.6, The Lonely Beast 123, LoryStripes + Shazam 7.2
- Tabu Lumen TL800 App Enabled LED Color Smart Bulb
- Wren V5BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Incipio offGRID Pro Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
- STM Studio for iPad Air
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Air
- Belkin LEGO Builder Case for iPad mini
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air
- Incipio Atlas ID for iPhone 5s
- JBL Spark Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Speaker
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
- Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
- Resuming incomplete iCloud backups
- Adding multiple photos to a Shared Photo Stream
- Quality of videos sent via Messages
- Text messages being delivered to wrong iPhone
- Problems logging in to iTunes Store
- Receiving FaceTime calls on multiple devices
- iOS 7: Incorrect display of Company-only contacts