CorePack, or, How Speck Brought Classy Fabrics to MacBook Bags
There were dozens of new computer bags on display at this year’s Macworld Expo, ranging from exceptionally generic to absolutely low-class in design. Early on, we spotted a set of new Speck cases that wound up really standing out from the crowd, and featured them in our Other 20 Sights Worth Caring About article. One of them, CorePack ($90), is here for testing, and while we’re doing that, we wanted to show you what was so compelling about these bags.
Last year, Speck came up with an iPhone 3G case that really stood out from its peers: the Fitted Case managed to blend truly a truly classy fabric exterior with a hard plastic shell, giving the iPhone’s glossy body the equivalent of a black pinstripe suit, a black and white plaid, or a brown houndstooth pattern to wear. For Speck, a company that has been playing with fabric cases for years—notably, in Converse shoe-inspired iPod cases, then in a number of leatherette and leather designs—it was like moving on from grade school to high school, college, and then professional attire. CorePack and several other Speck designs continue the professional angle, wrapping your MacBook or MacBook Pro (15” only) in a shoulder bag that’s dressed for success.
Rather than getting into all the details at this point, we’ll leave you with a bunch of pictures and a few quick notes. CorePack comes in this black pinstripe and a new brown plaid version, both fabrics forming the front flap and a top portion, but not continuing through the sides or back. There’s a highly padded mesh rear, and lots of zippers: one in the top to convert the bag into a handled briefcase, one on the side to expose a mesh pocket, one above the padded rear for a fleece-lined MacBook pocket, and a couple inside, both leading to multi-compartment pockets. A sign of Speck’s playful design is the interior color, which is bright blue on the pinstripe version and green on the plaid; it’s the only hint that you’re not all business. There are other models called AftPack and PortPack, as well as a small sleeve called TuckPack, which we’re hoping to check out as well. Additional photos of CorePack can be seen by clicking on this article’s title or Read More below; we’ll add more thoughts in the near future.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Happy Thanksgiving 2014 from iLounge!
- Apple highlights more Apple Watch info
- Verizon sponsoring ad-free listening to all U.S. iTunes Radio users
- Microsoft, Yahoo hope to replace Google for Safari default search?
- T-Mobile required to fully disclose throttled data speeds
- Steve Jobs biopic picked up by Universal, Fassbender to star
- Handbrake updated to 0.10, adds new encoders + more
- Report: ‘Deep Organizational Issues’ at Apple affecting iCloud progress
- Apple announces Product(RED) Gift Cards for Black Friday
- Apple unveils Product(RED) apps for World AIDS Day 2014
- Verus Case Damda Slide for iPhone 6 Plus
- Heckler Design @Rest Stand for iPad (2014)
- Kerf Case Wood Cases for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio for iPhone 6 Plus
- ZeroChroma FluxStand-Compatible Car Vent Mount + Reflective Armband
- Griffin Slim Folio and Survivor All-Terrain for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Slide-Mount Combo Pack for iPad Folio-Slide Cases
- G-Project G-Go Outdoor Wireless Speaker (2014)
- SteelSeries Stratus XL Gaming Controller
- Belkin/Jarden Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Smart Coffeemaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0