CorePack, or, How Speck Brought Classy Fabrics to MacBook Bags
There were dozens of new computer bags on display at this year’s Macworld Expo, ranging from exceptionally generic to absolutely low-class in design. Early on, we spotted a set of new Speck cases that wound up really standing out from the crowd, and featured them in our Other 20 Sights Worth Caring About article. One of them, CorePack ($90), is here for testing, and while we’re doing that, we wanted to show you what was so compelling about these bags.
Last year, Speck came up with an iPhone 3G case that really stood out from its peers: the Fitted Case managed to blend truly a truly classy fabric exterior with a hard plastic shell, giving the iPhone’s glossy body the equivalent of a black pinstripe suit, a black and white plaid, or a brown houndstooth pattern to wear. For Speck, a company that has been playing with fabric cases for years—notably, in Converse shoe-inspired iPod cases, then in a number of leatherette and leather designs—it was like moving on from grade school to high school, college, and then professional attire. CorePack and several other Speck designs continue the professional angle, wrapping your MacBook or MacBook Pro (15” only) in a shoulder bag that’s dressed for success.
Rather than getting into all the details at this point, we’ll leave you with a bunch of pictures and a few quick notes. CorePack comes in this black pinstripe and a new brown plaid version, both fabrics forming the front flap and a top portion, but not continuing through the sides or back. There’s a highly padded mesh rear, and lots of zippers: one in the top to convert the bag into a handled briefcase, one on the side to expose a mesh pocket, one above the padded rear for a fleece-lined MacBook pocket, and a couple inside, both leading to multi-compartment pockets. A sign of Speck’s playful design is the interior color, which is bright blue on the pinstripe version and green on the plaid; it’s the only hint that you’re not all business. There are other models called AftPack and PortPack, as well as a small sleeve called TuckPack, which we’re hoping to check out as well. Additional photos of CorePack can be seen by clicking on this article’s title or Read More below; we’ll add more thoughts in the near future.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Apple working on app to diagnose problems with iOS devices?
- Apple Music: Iovine apologizes for remarks about women; Adele won’t stream new album
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?