CorePack, or, How Speck Brought Classy Fabrics to MacBook Bags
There were dozens of new computer bags on display at this year’s Macworld Expo, ranging from exceptionally generic to absolutely low-class in design. Early on, we spotted a set of new Speck cases that wound up really standing out from the crowd, and featured them in our Other 20 Sights Worth Caring About article. One of them, CorePack ($90), is here for testing, and while we’re doing that, we wanted to show you what was so compelling about these bags.
Last year, Speck came up with an iPhone 3G case that really stood out from its peers: the Fitted Case managed to blend truly a truly classy fabric exterior with a hard plastic shell, giving the iPhone’s glossy body the equivalent of a black pinstripe suit, a black and white plaid, or a brown houndstooth pattern to wear. For Speck, a company that has been playing with fabric cases for years—notably, in Converse shoe-inspired iPod cases, then in a number of leatherette and leather designs—it was like moving on from grade school to high school, college, and then professional attire. CorePack and several other Speck designs continue the professional angle, wrapping your MacBook or MacBook Pro (15” only) in a shoulder bag that’s dressed for success.
Rather than getting into all the details at this point, we’ll leave you with a bunch of pictures and a few quick notes. CorePack comes in this black pinstripe and a new brown plaid version, both fabrics forming the front flap and a top portion, but not continuing through the sides or back. There’s a highly padded mesh rear, and lots of zippers: one in the top to convert the bag into a handled briefcase, one on the side to expose a mesh pocket, one above the padded rear for a fleece-lined MacBook pocket, and a couple inside, both leading to multi-compartment pockets. A sign of Speck’s playful design is the interior color, which is bright blue on the pinstripe version and green on the plaid; it’s the only hint that you’re not all business. There are other models called AftPack and PortPack, as well as a small sleeve called TuckPack, which we’re hoping to check out as well. Additional photos of CorePack can be seen by clicking on this article’s title or Read More below; we’ll add more thoughts in the near future.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- CBS Sports to stream Super Bowl 50, select NFL games on Apple TV
- Report: New Apple TV gets A8 chip, but not 4K support
- Report: New Apple TV will feature universal search, cost $149
- Retrial for damages in Apple patent case set for March or April
- Google omits HealthKit support from Android Wear iOS app
- Apple eyed Bill Simmons for exclusive podcast deal
- Amazon Video app update lets Prime users download movies, TV shows for offline viewing
- Report: Apple considering move into original programming
- Malware steals 225,000+ Apple account logins from jailbroken iPhones
- Apple announces partnership with Cisco for iOS business users
- IK Multimedia iKlip Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Odoyo KickStand Charging Dock for Apple Watch
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?