Did 1.1.3 update break your iPod touch? | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Did 1.1.3 update break your iPod touch?

Just curious, as this happened to me last night: did the 1.1.3 software update break your iPod touch? As in, render it completely unusable and unable to come out of Recovery mode on the occasions that iTunes recognizes that it’s connected?

Since I haven’t seen similar comments from readers yet, I’m guessing that this might be an isolated event, but as it’s the first time that an Apple update has broken one of my iPods, it seemed worth asking about. For reference: this iPod touch was never (underscore never) jailbroken. And it was connected to a MacBook Pro for the update using Apple’s official USB cable.

« Wrapping Up the Expos: You Asked, My Thoughts

From Blu-Ray to PSP, and DVD to iPod? »

Comments

I had a similar experience with my iPhone. Never hacked/jailbroken/unlocked/whatever, I repeatedly got error 1603 or 1604 before the restore could complete.

I took it to my local Apple Store and they tried the update on one of their computers, and it went fine.

I’ll also note that I’ve never successfully gotten a firmware update installed on this iPhone without it failing the first time and necessitating a complete restore, though this was the first time I was unable to complete the restore.

However, after I got the iPhone home it was recognized, and its backup settings were restored fine and it synced fine. I think the issue might be local to my computer, something interacting poorly with iTunes.

Posted by lkalliance on January 16, 2008 at 11:49 AM (CST)

No, it didn’t break it that much, but smart playlists aren’t updating at all anymore.

In 1.1.2 it was the “Date Added” function that didn’t work. If you tried to make a playlist with the song you bought the last month, it showed completely different songs on the iPod Touch. The play lists were updating, though.

In 1.1.3, the correct songs are in the playlists, but they don’t update. I just don’t get why they can’t fix this. Smart Playlists is an old thing. If they can add location triangulation they should be able to get smart playlists working, I think.

Posted by Olf on January 16, 2008 at 12:22 PM (CST)

It happened to my son’s touch, and he had to do a couple of force restarts to get it to work. But it now seems ok.

Posted by Kirk on January 16, 2008 at 1:12 PM (CST)

Updated by iPhone to 1.1.3 last night.  As a result, I no long get wi-fi.  When I go into Settings, Wi-Fi shows, “No Wi-Fi” and is greyed out.  Did a full restore to factory settings and a sync to no avail.  Network reset also did not work.  Will bring it to Apple store tonight…

Anyone have similar experience?

Posted by cmarkell on January 16, 2008 at 1:52 PM (CST)

After the firmware update my touch came up ok but when I tried to resync it to my PC it took about 4 tries at docking it before iTunes would see it. All is working now…

Posted by bsuggsx on January 16, 2008 at 2:03 PM (CST)

Happened to me.  Had to do total reboot on iTouch AND my new Dell~

Took 3 tries, 2 hours, but finally worked.

Posted by Jim on January 16, 2008 at 2:27 PM (CST)

Did update 1.1.3 change your ipods display at all. Now my youtube and contacts icon buttons have switched places and there is a weird background where the music, videos, photos, and itunes buttons are. I really don’t like the greyish background behind the music etc buttons. Its really ugly. Did this happen to anyone else?

Posted by Chris on January 16, 2008 at 5:08 PM (CST)

It happened to my iPhone - I realized it was because I tried to update my iPhone before my iTunes version was updated.

Once I updated my iTunes to the newest version, it was able to restore my iPhone.

Posted by Tim on January 17, 2008 at 8:43 AM (CST)

I got an error during the update and now all that displays is the “Connect to iTunes” icon on the screen of my iPod Touch.  I called Apple twice and they walked me through uninstalling everything and reinstalling but it hasn’t worked.  I can’t go into recovery mode either.  It turns off fine, but when I turn it on, it shows the Apple logo, then goes straight to the “connect” logo again.  iTunes doesn’t recognize it either.

Posted by Cyrix on January 17, 2008 at 11:14 AM (CST)

Yeah, this happened to me too. i was gonna update to get the new applications but suddenly it said it is in recovery mode and wont let me come out of it. I tried everything but it didnt wanna come out of its little coma. i had to format it and redownload all my music. EVEN THE ONES IVE PAID FOR from the ipod touch.

Posted by Adam Case on January 17, 2008 at 8:17 PM (CST)

this happened to me to. and the restore failed as well a 1603 error. now im trying to restore on another computer to see if this works.

Posted by Liam on January 18, 2008 at 4:25 PM (CST)

success had to install new itunes and another 1.1.3 firmware. but it has updated. now need to put all my songs back on which will take ages :@

Posted by Liam on January 18, 2008 at 5:14 PM (CST)

another version of firmware 1.1.3 what is that mean: where can you find another version fo the 1.1.3 firmware,....i’d like to try it also….since the one itunes is trying to install always end with the happy 1604 error….?

Posted by guessWho on January 18, 2008 at 6:42 PM (CST)

Same here, my never jailbroken touch crashed when i installed 1.1.3.
Went into recovery mode, but couldn’t get it to recover even after trying reinstalling itunes, restaring pc, deleting backupfiles as it looked as if they were corrupted, etc. but nothing worked. Had a brick for a while until i finally downgraded to 1.1.1.
Had to refil it with all my songs (took me all of last night) so it basically works now.
Retried updating, but again, error message 1604 (also got 1605 and 5 a couple of times.).

Posted by tds on January 20, 2008 at 5:36 AM (CST)

No probs for me. I did the upgrade, then bought the applets. I have a Week 38 and did the update via a WinXP machine.

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on January 21, 2008 at 3:49 PM (CST)

same happened to me but if you keep pluging it in itunes makes you restore and re upgrade then it starts working atleast thats how it worked for me

Posted by angel arambula on January 21, 2008 at 11:44 PM (CST)

I also have never messed with my iPod…in any way. But when I installed 1.1.3 it completely messed it up. Now, it crashes constantly and can be completely frozen for 15 minutes at a time. Also, the battery only charges half way before the iPod freezes and won’t charge anymore.

Posted by Joy on February 3, 2008 at 8:56 PM (CST)

Tried installing an update which I assume is 1.1.3. Totally wiped out everything on my IPod. Can’t wait to see what Apple Tech has to say.

Posted by Ira on March 2, 2008 at 4:43 PM (CST)

i just tryed to update my ipod touch software the 19 dollar stuff and it crashed and i have no clue what to do…..

Posted by Dustin on March 3, 2008 at 11:38 PM (CST)

I have ripped some movies on my hard drive and moved them into iTunes and initally all was OK.  Now the movies will “time-out” and most times my PC doesn’t recognize each time I want to sync and I have to restore and them reorganize the Touch.  Any suggestions?  I use a Dell PC which is only 5 months old.
Thanks

Posted by Tre on April 25, 2008 at 4:16 PM (CDT)

ipod touches such when it comes to updateing.apple is good at screwing people over on exspensive things that will break eventually and will run you alot of money to get working agian

Posted by dustin on May 20, 2009 at 12:48 AM (CDT)

Never messed with itouch, but today when i was updating itunes and itouch, it said itouch need recover and later came 1603 error.

Posted by Felipe Santana on February 3, 2010 at 8:33 PM (CST)

I have downloaded this update and it has screwed me over big time! Apple is the most useless company in the world and it just breaks everything! I am literally going mad. All i get is error 1603 and when I unplug it, it tells me to connect to itunes and the cycle begins again! Gahhhh

Posted by Tony on February 28, 2010 at 7:12 PM (CST)