Early Details On 2012’s Redesigned iPad, iPhone + MacBook Pro
Published: Friday, November 18, 2011
Our most reliable source has spoken: expect body changes for the next iPad, iPhone, and MacBook Pro. Here’s what we’ve heard.
(1) The third-generation iPad will become modestly thicker (0.7mm) in order to accommodate the twin light bar system needed for its higher-resolution display. It’s currently on track for a March timeframe release, and according to our source could be publicly shown as early as January, depending on conditions.
(2) Our source says that the next-generation iPhone will not look like the teardrop-shaped version that was widely rumored for release in 2011. We’ve been told that the device will have a 4-inch display and will be 8mm longer than before, with a metal casing (probably aluminum). It is on track to be introduced in summer of 2012, and is still in the engineering phase, not early production. We suspect that poor battery life doomed the prior prototype version, and that this one is being built with LTE-ready battery drain in mind.
(3) Barring some huge and unexpected issue, 2012 will be the year when the MacBook Pro line gets its new design. Think thinner.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Beyond Gravity
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, July giveaway reminder
- Report: iPhone 6 A8 chip to reach 2GHz range
- Apple joins SupplierPay program to pay small suppliers faster
- China calls iPhone tracking a ‘national security concern’
- Apps of the Week: Capo touch, Dino Dog, Minecraft 0.9 + more
- iTunes 11.3 brings HD Extras to Mac; iTunes Extras comes to Apple TV (Update)
- iPhone 6 to feature haptic feedback?
- WSJ: TSMC shipping microprocessors to Apple
- iPhone 6 part leaks point to possible color variations
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- JBL Synchros E50BT Over-Ear Headphones
- JBL Synchros E40BT On-Ear Headphones
- JBL Synchros E30 On-Ear Headphones
- Dog & Bone Backbone Wireless Charging Case + Pad, Battery for iPhone 5/5s
- Hisy Hisy Wireless Smartphone Camera Remote
- Kensington KeyFolio Thin X3 for iPad Air
- Braven BRV-BANK Smart Rugged Portable Power Bank
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads