Evidence of Saddam using iPhone at MWSF | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Evidence of Saddam using iPhone at MWSF

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Thursday, March 8, 2007
Backstage Categories:

Submitted for your approval: convincing photographic evidence* that Saddam Hussein had the opportunity to test Apple’s iPhone on stage at Macworld Expo in San Francisco prior to his widely publicized execution.

image

Why run this photo now? Well, why not, if this photo and this video are supposed to be ‘news’ these days. What do you think, readers, should we be running stuff like this on Backstage, or ignoring it on principle as we’ve been trying to do for a long time now?

(* = While you’re expressing your views on the question above, feel free to list your top 3 reasons a photo like this wouldn’t convince you of anything. Yes, it’s (obviously) a fake.)

image

Updated: By reader request, we’ve added an additional photo* of Osama Bin Laden attending the debut of Microsoft’s ZunePhone.

« Blu-Ray Blues and HD Movies, Generally (u)

On HDTV, or, why VF5 finally justifies years of SDTV »

Comments

wtf?!

Posted by K. Pilkington on March 8, 2007 at 5:54 AM (PDT)

This is obviously a fake.  How can I be so sure?  I was there… and Elvis & Tupac were standing to Saddam’s left.  They’ve OBVIOUSLY been Photoshopped out. grin

Posted by Nusm on March 8, 2007 at 6:25 AM (PDT)

Never Mind that Saddam was executed _before_ Macworld 2007, (or any part of 2007, for that matter.)

Posted by Scottie Biddle on March 8, 2007 at 6:47 AM (PDT)

Wow, iLounge has really “jumped the shark” with this article.  This article isn’t funny, and really brings down my whole image of this site.  Lame.

Posted by Dave Mozealous on March 8, 2007 at 8:05 AM (PDT)

Oh c’mon Dave, have a sense of humor.  I thought it was funny!

Posted by Nusm on March 8, 2007 at 8:07 AM (PDT)

Personally, I think it is lame. While I understand the attempt by who ever did the editing. I think it should have gone the way of any fwd: e-mails I get and in the trash automatically and never even been thought of for a site such as this.

Have felt the slipping of quality and curiosity depth, of many mac/ipod related news/opinion/blog sites I monitor and while a year ago I wouldn’t have thought it would happen so soon, I think it is time I removed ilounge from the rss feed and I’ll just check back “as I get to it”

If this was worth putting out, then time to go and

G
O
N
E

Posted by TxOcelot on March 8, 2007 at 8:36 AM (PDT)

Never do this again!

Plzthx? Aight.

Posted by JoshSpazJosh on March 8, 2007 at 8:40 AM (PDT)

Anyone have footage of Bin Laden with his Zune Phone?

Posted by Guano Man on March 8, 2007 at 9:15 AM (PDT)

TxOcelot,
While you’re deleting best remove Appleinsider and Gizmodo from your bookmarks - at least ‘our’ pic is a blatant fake and ‘we’ admit it - the Apple rumour mill is getting out of hand with Apple news sites posting pure crap just to get the hits…

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on March 8, 2007 at 9:31 AM (PDT)

It’s obviously an attempt to publicly poke fun at some of our Mac web bretheren who report so widely on trivial things like a photo of Steve Jobs at a soccer game.

I thought it was hilarious for that reason.

Posted by Jacqui Cheng on March 8, 2007 at 9:39 AM (PDT)

I suppose it’s too difficult for some people to actually read the text that accompanies a photo - even when it consists of six sentences, more than half of them either (a) noting that it’s fake, (b) criticizing the concept of attention-grabbing news stories, or (c) asking for readers to express their opinions on whether such crap should appear on the site.

If it wasn’t obvious from the above text - or the fact that you haven’t seen such things appearing on the site before - we’re not fans of the tabloid journalism that’s becoming increasingly common these days. As noted in the story above, we wanted to know whether our readers were as put off by this as we were, or whether they enjoyed it as gap-filling entertainment and would want to see such material relegated to a subsection of the site for discussion.

Thank you for those of you who are taking the time to read and provide your responses. We appreciate it.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on March 8, 2007 at 9:48 AM (PDT)

I am very suspicious of this photo because I don’t see how Saddam could have possibly gotten to San Francisco.  Big Steve must have had a special iPhone presentation in Baghdad.  What a scoop, iLounge!

Posted by Doug on March 8, 2007 at 10:11 AM (PDT)

I think the irony was lost on your American audience Jeremy

Posted by skinned on March 8, 2007 at 11:07 AM (PDT)

I don’t mind iLounge engaging in silliness, in fact I encourage it, but it’s obvious from this picture that you guys wouldn’t know a good joke if it came up and hit you in the face.  So maybe you should stick to what you know and leave the funny to Gizmodo.

There’s no lost irony here.  I recognize everything Jeremy was trying to do.  I’m just saying that the joke fell flat with a thud heard throughout the auditorium…even though I love Jeremy’s writings, belabored and a little too pristine as they may be.  I know I can come to ilounge for facts and some very clear and reasoned opinion.

Posted by alexarch in Dallas, TX on March 8, 2007 at 11:16 AM (PDT)

Boy, we’ve got a humorless bunch here today, huh?  Lighten up guys.  It was intended to be funny while making a point.  If you didn’t get either - the funny or the point - that’s okay, but don’t be so negative.  You’re going to blast them or delete the feed because they made one joke, and you didn’t like it?  Wow, I’d hate to be your spouse!

(For those of you who didn’t get it, that was also a joke, so don’t flame me.  I point that out for those who are humor-challenged today.)

Posted by Nusm on March 8, 2007 at 11:26 AM (PDT)

The point of this article wasn’t to be funny. It was intended, as originally noted, to poll readers about one type of content that our editors have refrained from posting on iLounge. Some people (those who read the text) got the point; those who saw it as an attempted joke or took it too seriously, didn’t.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on March 8, 2007 at 11:34 AM (PDT)

This article is ridiculous.  This sort of thing I might expect from a Forum on some loser site, but not from iLounge.com

Posted by Kris on March 8, 2007 at 1:17 PM (PDT)

Wow people, lighten up.

To actually respond to the article…I think rumors and such are important to Apple followers (especially when you have to wait so long between iPod generations lately) and I don’t see anything wrong with posting them on a separate section of iLounge to allow readers to chime in on their theories.  Just keep it off of the front page.

Posted by tcoop25 on March 8, 2007 at 3:27 PM (PDT)

Atleast the Osama pic made it in… And this is proof that Ballmer is a member of both al-Qaeda and the Billy Gates top 5.

Posted by Guano Man on March 8, 2007 at 6:20 PM (PDT)

Thanks for the laugh, Jeremy and for confirmation that at least some of the population believes that “if you see it on the net, it must be true.” god help us!

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on March 9, 2007 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

My two cents - Not sure what you’re trying to accomplish with this, and don’t care. It’s lame either way.

Posted by jbn74sb on March 9, 2007 at 1:45 PM (PDT)

To all the people who don’t get it: try reading the damn article first. Don’t just look at the pictures. If you want to look at pictures, may I suggest getting the SI Swimsuit edition or perhaps a good picture book might do the trick.

Posted by Nobody on March 9, 2007 at 7:58 PM (PDT)

Sorry for all the idiots, Jeremy.

Posted by Aaron Walker on March 11, 2007 at 11:38 AM (PDT)

I really doubt anyone here is seriously sympathetic to the plight of “butchers” so obviously being mocked, even though the article was not supposed to be funny. Comments sections of web sites invite trolls and idiots like the whiners here, people just trying to stir up trouble. How much you want to bet that the posters here are just two or three people under different names trying to justify their stupidity…?!?

Posted by Common Sense on March 12, 2007 at 12:12 AM (PDT)