Finally, a Mac Version of Peggle Nights!
To say that Popcap Games’ new Peggle Nights is our most-awaited Mac game release of the past six months is an understatement. It is, in fact, one of the only games we’ve been really anxious to play on the Mac, particularly as the iPhone version of the original Peggle has been floating around in the ether, unreleased for many months now.
The original Peggle was our 2008 iPod Click Wheel Game of the Year. It took the limited thrills of pachinko, added in a skill-based ball-firing mechanism, and then added both timing and variability elements to the stages. You shoot a ball from the top of a board full of pegs and blocks, eliminating whatever the ball touches, in hopes of removing all of the red items from the screen. If you happen to succeed in eliminating all of the blue items, too, you’re truly a master of the level. One of iLounge’s editors not only completed every one of the game’s levels with the top level of mastery, but beat all of the insane, ancillary “challenges” too. She’s been waiting for a new challenge for months.
Nights doesn’t change the prior game’s formula; instead, it includes 60 new levels and 60 new challenges, as well as one new character, and the promise of an upcoming free level pack with even more content in the Spring. The music’s been shifted to funkier, nighttime tracks, and fans of the prior game will find little in-jokes in the art—for instance, the prior title’s unicorn character first appears in a man of leisure’s evening smoking jacket, and later in crime fighting scenes in the dark of night.
The free demo of Peggle Nights is here if you’re interested in seeing what all the fuss is about, and why we would still care to have the original on our iPhones after all this time. Popcap limits you to 60 minutes of free gameplay in the demo; we’d be surprised if you weren’t addicted by 30 minutes in. The full version is $20.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Larger iPad production delayed until later this year, USB 3.0 ports to be added?
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?