Finally, a Mac Version of Peggle Nights!
To say that Popcap Games’ new Peggle Nights is our most-awaited Mac game release of the past six months is an understatement. It is, in fact, one of the only games we’ve been really anxious to play on the Mac, particularly as the iPhone version of the original Peggle has been floating around in the ether, unreleased for many months now.
The original Peggle was our 2008 iPod Click Wheel Game of the Year. It took the limited thrills of pachinko, added in a skill-based ball-firing mechanism, and then added both timing and variability elements to the stages. You shoot a ball from the top of a board full of pegs and blocks, eliminating whatever the ball touches, in hopes of removing all of the red items from the screen. If you happen to succeed in eliminating all of the blue items, too, you’re truly a master of the level. One of iLounge’s editors not only completed every one of the game’s levels with the top level of mastery, but beat all of the insane, ancillary “challenges” too. She’s been waiting for a new challenge for months.
Nights doesn’t change the prior game’s formula; instead, it includes 60 new levels and 60 new challenges, as well as one new character, and the promise of an upcoming free level pack with even more content in the Spring. The music’s been shifted to funkier, nighttime tracks, and fans of the prior game will find little in-jokes in the art—for instance, the prior title’s unicorn character first appears in a man of leisure’s evening smoking jacket, and later in crime fighting scenes in the dark of night.
The free demo of Peggle Nights is here if you’re interested in seeing what all the fuss is about, and why we would still care to have the original on our iPhones after all this time. Popcap limits you to 60 minutes of free gameplay in the demo; we’d be surprised if you weren’t addicted by 30 minutes in. The full version is $20.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!