Finally, a Mac Version of Peggle Nights!
To say that Popcap Games’ new Peggle Nights is our most-awaited Mac game release of the past six months is an understatement. It is, in fact, one of the only games we’ve been really anxious to play on the Mac, particularly as the iPhone version of the original Peggle has been floating around in the ether, unreleased for many months now.
The original Peggle was our 2008 iPod Click Wheel Game of the Year. It took the limited thrills of pachinko, added in a skill-based ball-firing mechanism, and then added both timing and variability elements to the stages. You shoot a ball from the top of a board full of pegs and blocks, eliminating whatever the ball touches, in hopes of removing all of the red items from the screen. If you happen to succeed in eliminating all of the blue items, too, you’re truly a master of the level. One of iLounge’s editors not only completed every one of the game’s levels with the top level of mastery, but beat all of the insane, ancillary “challenges” too. She’s been waiting for a new challenge for months.
Nights doesn’t change the prior game’s formula; instead, it includes 60 new levels and 60 new challenges, as well as one new character, and the promise of an upcoming free level pack with even more content in the Spring. The music’s been shifted to funkier, nighttime tracks, and fans of the prior game will find little in-jokes in the art—for instance, the prior title’s unicorn character first appears in a man of leisure’s evening smoking jacket, and later in crime fighting scenes in the dark of night.
The free demo of Peggle Nights is here if you’re interested in seeing what all the fuss is about, and why we would still care to have the original on our iPhones after all this time. Popcap limits you to 60 minutes of free gameplay in the demo; we’d be surprised if you weren’t addicted by 30 minutes in. The full version is $20.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Malware steals 225,000+ Apple account logins from jailbroken iPhones
- Apple announces partnership with Cisco for iOS business users
- Report: New Apple TV to support Bluetooth gaming controllers
- Google releases iOS app that links some Android Wear watches to newer iPhones
- Apple to make Apple Camp program available year-round
- Apple hiring ex-Microsoft employee hints at augmented reality plans
- Judge limits further filings in patent case between Apple and Samsung
- Report: New Apple TV less than $200, arriving in October
- Apple to drop first-gen Apple TV, iPod classic support as of Sept 8th
- New Apple TV to feature motion sensitive remote
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?