Frypod from Burger King: eat boiling oil, Apple
It’s not exactly a secret that Apple CEO Steve Jobs isn’t a fan of fast food; variously reported to be a vegetarian, vegan, or pescetarian, he famously has the company’s public events catered with healthy items, including Odwalla drinks, and some time ago publicly called into question the societal implications of fast food. Back in May - right after Jobs became the largest shareholder of Disney - the movie company ended a lucrative, $1 billion deal with McDonald’s that saw Disney receiving gobs of cash in exchange for use of its popular movie and cartoon characters in Happy Meal tie-ins.
In what can only be understood as either a shrewd or exceedingly stupid marketing move, Burger King has opted to try its own tie-in of sorts with another Steve Jobs property: the iPod. Over the last few weeks, the fast food restaurant chain has rolled out the “Frypod,” a french fry container shaped to fit in your car’s cupholder, obviously with naming influence from the most popular digital media player. Take a step back and ask yourself whether this sort of “invention” would even normally be worthy of a name (it used to just be a french fry container), or prominent placement in BK in-store ads, as shown in the picture above. It just seems like Burger King is intentionally trying to see if it can get away with capitalizing on the iPod’s name and success, and how much press they’ll get from it.
Admittedly, this is sort of old news - old enough that Apple’s legal department has surely been checking it out already - but there’s a big question to be answered here: Does Apple’s iPod trademark extend far enough to stop this particular Pod name, or are the fields of digital media players and fast food so different that there’s no legal recourse for Apple? Given Apple’s involvement in global co-branding opportunities with everyone from Coke and Pepsi to Nike, my gut feeling is that things like this can only dilute the iPod brand’s value, and the company will probably go after Burger King if they haven’t already. Surely the thought of bad sentiments with another fast food vendor won’t bring a tear to anyone’s eyes at Apple, least of all Steve Jobs.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Russian Apple Online Store returns with increased prices
- Cook ‘deeply offended’ by BBC allegations
- BBC investigative report claims Apple fails to protect Chinese workers
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Tim Cook announces $20M raised for (PRODUCT)RED in internal e-mail
- Apple announces 64-bit and iOS 8 requirements for app updates
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple halts online sales in Russia
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Apple Pay cards represent 90 percent of US credit purchase volume; Samsung readying rival service
- Just Mobile TopGum
- Kenu Highline for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- STM Dux for iPhone 6
- Kenu Stance Compact Tripod for iPhone
- SwitchEasy Boombox for iPhone 6
- STM Skinny Pro for iPad Air 2
- SwitchEasy Rave for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Wrap for iPhone 6 Plus
- Dog & Bone Wetsuit for iPhone 6
- Belkin Qode Ultimate + Ultimate Pro Keyboard Cases for iPad Air 2
- Evollve Ozobot
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0