Galcon As Object Lesson in iPhone App Development and Refreshing
Published: Friday, August 14, 2009
Though an entire essay could be written on the subject of Phil Hassey’s Galcon, one of the earliest really good games for the iPhone and iPod touch, we’re not going to do that today. Instead, we’re going to point to just a few things that are really interesting about where Galcon sits today at version 1.7, priced at $3, versus where it was when we reviewed it back in August of 2008 when it debuted for $10.
Galcon retains the simple but very effective planet-conquering gameplay that really showed off the value of a touchscreen back a year ago, with some additional enhancements.
It added a multiplayer online mode in version 1.2.
It received music in version 1.3.
And now it has received a substantial graphic redesign, including everything from the logo to the backgrounds and fonts.
The first pair of screenshots is Galcon from August, 2008. The next are from the new version of Galcon, which is in the App Store now. If you didn’t check it out last year, now’s the time, for sure. Due to the past updates, which have kept on making the title better, it’s one of only a handful of iPhone OS releases that we have kept permanently in our iTunes Library awaiting updates over the past year.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- U.S. carriers to make unlocking phones easier
- New iPad models poll ends, Screen Protector poll begins
- Apple says factory conditions unrelated to worker’s death
- Apps: Angry Birds Go, GTA: San Andreas, The Room 2 + Sonic 2 3.0
- Samsung denied Apple ban in S. Korea
- Apple TV adds ABC, Bloomberg, Crackle, KORTV
- AT&T CEO: Bye, device subsidies, hello financing
- Apple hires radio exec for iTunes Radio
- Apps: 12 Days of Gifts, The Animal Alphabet Singers, Drawing Together + FIFA
- China Labor Watch seeks investigation of Pegatron deaths
- Spigen SGP Tough Armor for iPad mini
- Audio-Technica ATH-CKX9iS SonicFuel In-Ear Headphones
- Kanex Foldable iDevice Stand
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Photo Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- Belkin APEX360 Advanced Protection Case for iPad mini
- STM Grip 2 for iPad Air
- CM4 Slite Card Case for iPhone 5c
- Newer Technology NuGuard KX for iPad Air + iPad mini
- The Joy Factory aXtion Bold for iPad Air
- OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPad Air + iPad mini with Retina display
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Whether to include specific apps in iCloud backups
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
- Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
- Resuming incomplete iCloud backups
- Adding multiple photos to a Shared Photo Stream
- Quality of videos sent via Messages
- Text messages being delivered to wrong iPhone
- Problems logging in to iTunes Store