Galcon As Object Lesson in iPhone App Development and Refreshing
Though an entire essay could be written on the subject of Phil Hassey’s Galcon, one of the earliest really good games for the iPhone and iPod touch, we’re not going to do that today. Instead, we’re going to point to just a few things that are really interesting about where Galcon sits today at version 1.7, priced at $3, versus where it was when we reviewed it back in August of 2008 when it debuted for $10.
Galcon retains the simple but very effective planet-conquering gameplay that really showed off the value of a touchscreen back a year ago, with some additional enhancements.
It added a multiplayer online mode in version 1.2.
It received music in version 1.3.
And now it has received a substantial graphic redesign, including everything from the logo to the backgrounds and fonts.
The first pair of screenshots is Galcon from August, 2008. The next are from the new version of Galcon, which is in the App Store now. If you didn’t check it out last year, now’s the time, for sure. Due to the past updates, which have kept on making the title better, it’s one of only a handful of iPhone OS releases that we have kept permanently in our iTunes Library awaiting updates over the past year.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015