Galcon As Object Lesson in iPhone App Development and Refreshing
Though an entire essay could be written on the subject of Phil Hassey’s Galcon, one of the earliest really good games for the iPhone and iPod touch, we’re not going to do that today. Instead, we’re going to point to just a few things that are really interesting about where Galcon sits today at version 1.7, priced at $3, versus where it was when we reviewed it back in August of 2008 when it debuted for $10.
Galcon retains the simple but very effective planet-conquering gameplay that really showed off the value of a touchscreen back a year ago, with some additional enhancements.
It added a multiplayer online mode in version 1.2.
It received music in version 1.3.
And now it has received a substantial graphic redesign, including everything from the logo to the backgrounds and fonts.
The first pair of screenshots is Galcon from August, 2008. The next are from the new version of Galcon, which is in the App Store now. If you didn’t check it out last year, now’s the time, for sure. Due to the past updates, which have kept on making the title better, it’s one of only a handful of iPhone OS releases that we have kept permanently in our iTunes Library awaiting updates over the past year.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?