Here’s Where International CDMA iPhones Could Go
While Verizon’s announcement of the first CDMA-compatible iPhone was big news in the United States, there’s more than one country that could benefit from Apple’s latest hardware. As the not-always-reliable DigiTimes reports, CDMA iPhones produced by Pegatron are already expected to ship to previously semi-tapped iPhone markets including China, Japan, and South Korea. In those countries, carriers such as China Telecom, au, and LG Telecom could be potential candidates for a CDMA iPhone.
Outside those markets, however, there are plenty of other options that Apple is surely considering. India is one of the world’s fastest-growing cellular markets, and Reliance Communications, Tata Teleservices and MTS India all offer CDMA service—three potential new partners. Unefon offers CDMA in Mexico, another market where Apple has been operating without any exclusive deals. Russia has no less than four CDMA carriers—Skylink, BWC, ETK, and Sotel-CCB—operating in various parts of the country, while Thailand’s CAT Telecom offers service in 51 provinces; co-owned network Hutch offers service in 25. Here in the U.S., plenty of carriers outside of Verizon offer CDMA service, including Sprint, U.S. Cellular, Cellcom, Cellular South, MetroPCS, nTelos, and Alaska Communications Systems.
So even if CDMA technology is seen by many as a dead-end technology, soon to be supplanted by LTE, the large number of international carriers using CDMA provides Apple with a near-term opportunity to vastly expand its network of iPhone carrier partners. This will likely lead to a radical increase in iPhone usage worldwide, assuming Apple decides to widely distribute its latest iPhone variant. The next step will obviously be creating a single GSM/CDMA world phone with support for 4G technologies so that multiple versions won’t be needed, and a SIM card slot can enable international use without roaming.
Editor’s Note: Information for this article was gathered from Wikipedia’s List of CDMA2000 networks.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: New iPhone’s base storage could stay at 16GB
- Apple exploring person-to-person Apple Pay transactions?
- Report: iPhone 6S to get 12MP camera, 4K video recording?
- Report: New iPhone 6S LTE chip could ‘double’ download speeds
- Cue: New iOS 9 beta coming next week
- iTunes 12.2 release includes support for Apple Music
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- Apple Music makes subscriptions available through carriers, adds iCloud Music Library
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?