How Apple Might Win Over (Some) Hesitant Click Wheel iPod Users to Touch Devices
Years ago, at just about the point at which mainstream users were beginning to appreciate the value of Apple’s iPod designs, PDA application developers came up with iPod skins—basically a way to replicate the iPod’s controls and UI to make media playback easier on Pocket PC devices. pPod (shown below) was amongst them, developed by Starbrite Solutions back in 2004. Not surprisingly, Apple shut these efforts down because it had come up with the interface and designs in question, and didn’t want them to aid the sales of competing products, or prevent users from wanting the real thing.
But what about as an alternate user interface for media playback on the iPhone or iPod touch? Or as the gap-bridging way to create the inevitable touchscreen iPod nano, which might initially be met with resistance on the grounds that it’s just not as easy to use as a Click Wheel iPod nano? Apple probably wouldn’t let a third-party app developer sell (or even give away) a iPod media player interface in the App Store, but if it released such a thing as a feature on its own, there’s no issue. For those who are curious, the mock-up image above shows the viability of the concept even if Apple did nothing more than use the body of an iPod classic as the basis for this feature: without even trying to maximize the elements on the 3.5” touchscreen, the Click Wheel roughly matches the size of the current-generation iPod nano’s, and the “screen” would have no issue being readable. With little tweaks, both the old iPod UI and the Click Wheel could be resized to use the screen’s real estate even better.
And yes, yes, the reasons that Apple mightn’t do such a thing are obvious. Why emulate an outdated UI when the iPhone has Revolutionary Multi-Touch(tm)? And what about clicking on that Click Wheel—there’s no way to physically depress the screen? Et cetera. The answers are equally obvious: because it would serve as a nice bridge, and it could get very close to the Click Wheel with more deliberate taps to activate buttons… sort of like the screen currently replicates a keyboard, “good enough” for many users. Another good reason to do it: because only Apple can.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?