How the new iPod touch does FaceTime | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

How the new iPod touch does FaceTime

By Jesse Hollington

Social Media & Software Editor, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, September 1, 2010
Backstage Categories:

As you’re probably aware by now, Apple unveiled a new iPod touch earlier today which, among other things, brings a second device into the FaceTime family. When FaceTime was introduced on the iPhone 4 earlier this year, Apple chose to integrate it with the built-in Phone app, a logical choice considering how the company wants to present it as just another type of phone call. Apple also used users’ actual cellular phone numbers from the iPhone 4 to register devices with its FaceTime servers and allow users to place calls to each other.

The problem, of course, is that the iPod touch has no Phone app nor an actual phone number to register with the FaceTime network. Contrary to a suspicious rumor that claimed Apple would add a VoIP Phone application to the iPod touch, Apple instead added a new standalone FaceTime app to the iPod touch specifically for handling FaceTime calls. It now simply uses the user’s e-mail address to identify them on the FaceTime network, a change that has already been discovered in the iOS 4.1 betas. iPhone users who want to call iPod touch users can simply select their e-mail address to initiate a FaceTime call, although you’ll need to upgrade to iOS 4.1 on your iPhone in order to do so.

iPod touch users will also apparently need an Apple ID to actually register their e-mail addresses with the FaceTime network, but it’s not clear whether this will happen transparently as it does on the iPhone or whether the user will need to complete some type of sign-in process.

Updated: For more detailed information on setting up and troubleshooting FaceTime, please check out our new Complete Guide to FaceTime.

« iPod touch 4G’s Battery Is Bigger, But Is It Better?

Yikes! iPod touch’s Rear Camera Capped at 960x720 Stills! »

Comments

the title of your article “how ipod touch does facetime” but then deceptively your article only asks questions like “but it’s not clear whether this will happen transparently as it does on the iPhone or whether the user will need to complete some type of sign-in process. ”

Posted by tim on September 2, 2010 at 4:56 AM (PDT)

It answered my question of how it will work without a phone number…via email!

Posted by Rob on September 2, 2010 at 5:54 AM (PDT)

How will the sound work on FT?  Is there a microphone in new IPod touch?

Posted by Becky Becky on September 3, 2010 at 8:47 AM (PDT)

Yes, but it’s in the back.  Will be interesting to see how well that works… smile

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on September 3, 2010 at 8:55 AM (PDT)

Does Facetime work internationally… meaning, can I use it with me in the US and my son in Germany?

Posted by cv on September 8, 2010 at 7:01 AM (PDT)

Yes, it works over Wi-Fi so it will work anywhere that there is Wi-Fi access.  My wife recently took a vacation to Ireland with some friends and we kept in touch via FaceTime instead of normal phone calls.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on September 8, 2010 at 9:37 AM (PDT)

do you have to communicate with people only using facetime, or can you communicate via skype, or somthing of the sort??

Posted by Creeshia in ceveland on September 8, 2010 at 9:33 PM (PDT)

Hi,i was wondering if there would be any charges using facetime.as im going travelling in january for 2yrs and was going to leave behind an ipod touch 4th gen with my family and take my iphone4 with me.fought it would be a good idea so i can keep in touch and save money.  wink

Posted by graham on September 9, 2010 at 7:23 AM (PDT)

@Cresshia in ceveland (#7): No, FaceTime can only be used to communicate with other FaceTime users. There is a Skype app for the iPhone and iPod touch, but it doesn’t do video at this point.

@graham (#8): FaceTime runs entirely over Wi-Fi, so there are no charges beyond whatever you might pay for Internet or Wi-Fi access.  In other words, FaceTime itself is free, but you might need to pay for general Internet access wherever you happen to be (ie, Wi-Fi in a coffee shop, normal Internet at home, etc).

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on September 9, 2010 at 7:53 AM (PDT)

Can you call from ipod to a normal cell phone?

Posted by Melanee on September 9, 2010 at 3:55 PM (PDT)

so you mean the cost of face time is free for the new ipod touch, but what if a new ipod touch user uses face time to call my iphone 4’s mobile number? does it count as normal minute usage towards my phone bill??

Posted by Amanda on September 9, 2010 at 4:21 PM (PDT)

@Melanee (#10): No, at least not without a third-party voice-over-IP application such as Skype.  FaceTime does not make normal calls.

@Amanda (#11): FaceTime only uses the iPhone 4’s number for contact purposes as a way to identify the device to the FaceTime server. Calls over FaceTime, even between two iPhones, do not use any cellular minutes or data as they run entirely over the Internet using Wi-Fi.

That said, if you initially place a normal voice call from one iPhone to another and then switch to FaceTime, you’ll still be charged for the normal voice call minutes up to the point that you activated FaceTime.  Once you’re on FaceTime, however, the normal cellular call is disconnected and you’re on an Internet connection from that point on.  So in other words, if you call somebody up normally, talk for five minutes, then switch to FaceTime and talk for another hour, you’ll be billed five minutes—the duration of the normal cell phone call.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on September 9, 2010 at 7:15 PM (PDT)

I am buying 2 iPod touch that will be sync’d on 1 apple id.
Can I set them both up with separate email addresses so I can FaceTime between both or do they need to be set up with 2 apple id’s. ?

Posted by Tucker61 on September 11, 2010 at 7:34 AM (PDT)

So Fricken Exciting! Altho its depressing that apple added a 0.7 Megapixel Camera i mean Come on Apple! No wonder Steve Jobs didnt tell us in the Keynote he was too embarassed himself. Oh well Good Video quality and Camera on the Front must be good too in order to Perform FaceTime!

Posted by Jamie on September 11, 2010 at 1:29 PM (PDT)

@Tucker61 (#13): Yes, you can use any e-mail addresses you want with FaceTime under the same Apple ID, provided that that a given address hasn’t already been registered with a different Apple ID.

When setting up FaceTime on the iPod touch it will default to the main e-mail address associated with your Apple ID, but you can specify any e-mail address you like, and you can add more than one if you’d like to be reached at multiple e-mail addresses.  You will receive an e-mail at each address you configure with a link to validate that address before it can be used for FaceTime.

@Jamie (#14): The camera on the front is essentially the same as the front camera on the iPhone 4—640x480 VGA. Not nearly as good as the rear camera even on the iPod touch, much less the iPhone, but more than adequate for FaceTime.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on September 12, 2010 at 4:33 AM (PDT)

do i need internet access for face time on ipod touch 4?

Posted by Deontae on September 13, 2010 at 9:09 AM (PDT)

Definitely.  FaceTime uses an Internet Wi-Fi connection. Even on the iPhone 4 requires a Wi-Fi connection to the Internet.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on September 13, 2010 at 9:27 AM (PDT)

if i had a friend in spain and they used skype on their laptops and i used facetime on ipod touch will we be able to make video phone calls. Or when will there be video phone calls using skype?

Posted by palestine92 on September 13, 2010 at 10:45 PM (PDT)

I do not have an iPhone. I do have a user id for apple I use for itunes for my shuffle.  Do you have to have an iPhone in order to use facetime if I were to buy two iPod touches?

Posted by Crystal on September 14, 2010 at 9:34 AM (PDT)

@palestine92 (#18): No, FaceTime and Skype are not compatible with each other, at least not at this time.  There is a Skype app for the iPhone and iPod touch that you can use to make voice calls, but it does not presently support video calling (yet).

@Crystal (#19): No, FaceTime works just fine between two iPod touch devices. You need to configure each one with a separate e-mail address and can then select that e-mail address to place FaceTime calls between the devices. You can use the same Apple ID on both devices as long as you configure them with different e-mail addresses, or you can choose to set up new Apple IDs.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on September 14, 2010 at 10:34 AM (PDT)

Hi, Great questions here and great answers, hope you can answer mine!
I want to get a new IpodTouch and use facetime when I go on vacation. However, I don’t have an Apple ID email, ( I use my old email for everything and don’t want to pay the yearly cost of having an appleid)
Can I use facetime using my yahoo.com email address or does it have to be an Apple email address?
thanks for any help.
Greg

Posted by Greg on September 14, 2010 at 1:56 PM (PDT)

nevermind, I am an idiot, I have itunes and a valid Apple ID. Thanks anyway though.
I guess factime will work for me withouth paying for mobileme.com

Posted by greg on September 14, 2010 at 2:32 PM (PDT)

Yes, that’s pretty much it.

Keep in mind that an Apple ID is simply a generic user ID on Apple’s servers and can be used for just about anything. You get an Apple ID when you sign up with a new account for any of Apple’s services, but it doesn’t necessarily apply to all of Apple’s services unless you use your Apple ID to sign up for those separately.

In fact, you can sign up for only a basic Apple ID by going to myinfo.apple.com if you really want to.  There’s seldom a point in doing this separately, however, as the process of signing up for just about anything else that requires a user account on Apple’s servers (like FaceTime or the iTunes Store) will setup an Apple ID automatically as part of that process.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on September 15, 2010 at 6:14 AM (PDT)

i want to know if the new ipod touch with camera will work with skype so i can talk to my friends using skype from my ipod.is this possible?? can i call my skype friends with the facetime app?
thanks

Posted by JR on September 15, 2010 at 1:18 PM (PDT)

i understood everything but i am left with 1question i have iphone4 and i have plans to give an ipod touch to my friend…and i understood that i have to give her by making an apple id but how can i find her id and how can i call her from my iphone4 where i have to give the id to call

Posted by harsha on September 15, 2010 at 2:07 PM (PDT)

David, your answers have been more than helpful. thank you!
lemme help David for a bit
@JR (#24) Please read answer #20
@harsha just make sure you and your friend has an apple id. just go to apple.com or itunes and register. exchange the email that you and your friend registered with. when you have to “give ur friend a call” make sure you AND your friend are connected to the internet via WIFI. Im getting my itouch 4 tonight. yay me!

Posted by Danny on September 16, 2010 at 2:13 AM (PDT)

Great! Thanks.  One more question:
My significant other is away for 3 months, hence the inquiry in this feature….I understand that you have to be near a “hotspot” to use facetime.  Is there anyway to get the internet on either the iphone or ipod touch without having to use a hotspot?  My reason for asking:  He’s at the police academy and can’t leave the grounds, and there is no wireless available to them, even tho there is a hot spot 6 minutes away.

Posted by Crystal on September 16, 2010 at 8:47 AM (PDT)

So, the two new cameras are only good for just one program (Facetime)?  That really isn’t a great deal or reason to buy this thing.  I already have a gen3 and was going to switch over, but how many people do you know that have or will have a gen 4 ipod…. Cornering the market as usual there Steve Jobs… either that or a lot of pissed off people when they buy their new toy that they can connect with one other freind on.  Is it just me or is this stupid?

Posted by Craig on September 16, 2010 at 11:37 AM (PDT)

If i have an iPhone 4g can i use face time and talk to my friend who has an iPod 4g?

Posted by Ali on September 16, 2010 at 5:54 PM (PDT)

@Crystal (#27): Sadly, no. A Wi-Fi connection is required so the only way around it if you’re not near an actual Wi-Fi access point or hotspot would be to get a portable cellular-to-Wi-Fi device like a Mi-Fi router that some carriers sell. Of course, you’d be dealing with an extra device that you’d be paying for a data plan on.  It is also possible to get FaceTime to work over the 3G connection on the iPhone by hacking/jailbreaking the device.

In either case, you’d need a decent data plan if you wanted to have any long conversations. FaceTime uses around 3MB/minute, or 180MB/hour.

@Craig (#28): To be fair, iPod touch 4G owners can also do FaceTime calls with any iPhone 4 device, and Apple has stated its intentions to bring FaceTime to other platforms, so it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see a Mac and Windows client come out in the future, likely along with a future iPad model that will have the camera and FaceTime capabilities similar to the iPod touch.

@Ali (#29): Yes.  You need to be running iOS 4.1 and then you can contact your friend over FaceTime using their e-mail address.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on September 16, 2010 at 6:36 PM (PDT)

Ha! Thanks for the article. The first article I found to figure out if I needed a phone no or email.

Posted by Theodor kim on September 16, 2010 at 7:38 PM (PDT)

can i dowload yahoo messenger application on ipodtouch and IPAD?

Posted by sybzz on September 17, 2010 at 4:29 AM (PDT)

Exactly why I held off on buying the 1st Gen iPad and why I still have a 1st Gen iPod yet I do keep my iPhone updated smile *

Posted by HyipFoli on September 18, 2010 at 7:07 AM (PDT)

Hi,
I think I must be the biggest idiot on the planet but I just don’t get how I can use face time with my brother in the US and me in Germany. I have the iphone 4 OS 4.1 and he has newest generation ipod touch. with OS 4.1 as well. we are both registered Apple users and I can’t for the life of me figure out how to call his e-mail address. I have t-mobile as my provider here in Germany. I can only seem to use face time with other phone numbers. There is nowhere where I an put in an e-mail address. I also have no face time icon on my phone like my brother does on his ipod touch. I am sorry for being so thick but any help would be greatly appreciated, and if possible could you break it down step by step for me, idiot girl in Berlin?
Thanks so much!
Leigh

Posted by Leigh on September 18, 2010 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

Leigh:

On your iPhone, go to Phone (icon) > Contacts > click on your brother’s name > scroll down and you should see a FaceTime button.

You might have to add him as a contact first (’+’ button in Contacts), or add his FaceTime email address (‘Edit’ in his information page after you click his name).

Hope this helps.

Posted by dodob19 on September 19, 2010 at 5:20 AM (PDT)

Hi! Umm I was wondering dat I have an apple iPod touch 2g and I want to get the 4th one but just transfer all my data on my old iPod to my new one without deleteing anything how do I do dat? Thanks so much!

Posted by Rhansta55 on September 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM (PDT)

@Rhansta55 If you have your iPod touch 2g synced to your computer, you can simply connect the new iPod touch and hit “restore from backup” when iTunes asks whether you want to set up as new or restore from backup.

Posted by dodob19 on September 20, 2010 at 5:58 AM (PDT)

does ipod touch 4G need wifi for facetime.?

Posted by ibrohim on September 20, 2010 at 9:04 AM (PDT)

Of course it does. How else would it connect to the Internet? smile

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on September 20, 2010 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

Oh, this would have been perfect for my technology-deficient mom. We use iChat or Skype now but it is a pain to guide her (by cellphone) each and every time. So, if I bought one for her, we couldn’t use my Macbook’s iChat video? A shame. That means we need to buy 2 iPod touches for this to work?

Ouch, we may stick with iChat and Skype until the capabilities expand. It really shouldn’t be this difficult.

Posted by DanAllen on September 20, 2010 at 3:39 PM (PDT)

Two iPod touch units or an iPod touch and an iPhone, for now at least.

However, it seems very likely that we will see a Mac/Windows option show up at some point in the future, either integrated into iChat or as a separate app.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on September 20, 2010 at 4:16 PM (PDT)

oh 1 more thing does ipod touch 4G has multitasking..?if it so can ipod touch creat folders..?

Posted by ibrohim on September 21, 2010 at 7:27 AM (PDT)

My parents have wifi at their house but no cell service. Does FaceTime still need cell service to operate between two iPhones? Or is there something we need to do differently?

Posted by Dan C on September 25, 2010 at 9:35 AM (PDT)

do i have to update my iphone4 to iOS4.1 in order to do the facetime with ipod touch ? Because i added his email address on my contact list and no facetime button showed up.

Posted by BenStone on September 26, 2010 at 6:59 AM (PDT)

@ibrohim (#42): Yes, the iPod touch 4G has the same multitasking capabilities and folder features as the third-generation iPod touch, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4.  In fact, the Folders are not tied to multitasking—that’s a separate feature—and folders are available on ALL iOS 4.x devices, including the second-generation iPod touch and iPhone 3G.

@Dan C (#43): FaceTime on an iPhone 4 uses SMS messages via the cellular network to initially register your device with FaceTime when you first enable it on a new iPhone, but once it’s been setup it should work fine over Wi-Fi without any cellular service as long as you don’t remove or change your SIM card. Putting in a new SIM card requires the SMS-based FaceTime registration to run again for your new phone number, and FaceTime will not be activated until this happens.

@BenStone (#44): Yes. iOS 4.1 is required to make or receive FaceTime calls using an e-mail address.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on September 26, 2010 at 10:46 AM (PDT)

Hi, if I bought a iPod touch 4G, will I be able to transfer or copy all of the data from my iPod touch 3G? Does the new iPod touch come with a microphone?

Posted by Emily on September 26, 2010 at 12:53 PM (PDT)

@Emily (#46): The short answer to both questions is yes. When you plug in your iPod touch 4G you will be given the option by iTunes to restore your backup from your iPod touch 3G which will transfer all of your data and sync settings. Your media content is not part of this backup, but if it’s already in iTunes the same content will be synced to the new iPod touch based on the settings from the backup.  Just be sure that you’ve backed up your iPod touch 3G one last time by syncing with iTunes before plugging in your new iPod touch.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on September 26, 2010 at 1:59 PM (PDT)

I have both iPod Touch 2G and 4G. I have restored my iPod Touch 2G backup to the new iPod Touch. Can I still sync my old iPod Touch with iTunes so that both iPods have identical contents (particularly songs, videos and apps I just purchased on my iPod Touch 4G)?

Posted by Eddie on September 27, 2010 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

Hi there,
I cannot sign into FaceTime via my new Ipod Touch. It begins to sign in then it comes up with “Facetime Activation - Could not sign in. Please check your network connection and try again”, however, my wi-fi is connected with a strong signal. Do you know why this may be happening?

Posted by Rona on September 27, 2010 at 2:51 PM (PDT)

@Eddie (#48): Not really on the topic of this article, but the short answer is yes. You won’t be able to sync your application data onto both devices, but you can sync the same applications, music and other media content to more than a single iPod touch or other Apple media device.

@Rona (#49): Have you confirmed that your Apple ID and password is correct?  Are you using an Apple ID that is an e-mail address, or simply a username?  FaceTime on the iPod touch requires an Apple ID that is actually formatted as an e-mail address, so if your ID is a simple username (ie, no @ sign in it), then you’ll either need to change it to an e-mail address or use/create a different Apple ID for FaceTime.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on September 27, 2010 at 3:57 PM (PDT)

okay, so im convinced about this whole new ipod/facetime idea ! but my question is.. if the ipod will already have a microphone within the device, will he headphones still have the microphone that the previous itouch had ? please & thank you smile

Posted by leslie_sd10 on September 28, 2010 at 8:34 PM (PDT)

So… I have the newest update for my iPhone (iOS4.1) and I am trying to face time with someone who has the new iPod touch. We are both on wi-fi networks (sitting across from each other in my house) and face time is not working. When I call my from my iPhone, it rings and rings, then stops and says “connecting”. After a few moments, it says “Face Time Failed”. Same goes for her Touch to my iPhone.

Any ideas?

Posted by Syd S. on September 30, 2010 at 12:17 AM (PDT)

hi does this mean both ipod touches have to be in a wi fi zone?if im on the subway in new york or washington dc can i face time with someone who is also in a wifi hotspot as long as i have their email address.can i walk and talk with the ipod anywhere as long as there is wifi reception?

Posted by ashley bayer on October 1, 2010 at 4:06 PM (PDT)

When using the Facetime feature with the Ipod Touch 4, will the video be searchable or discoverable by other internet users on the same wifi network? As in, when I am talking to my friend, will someone else be able to listen or watch as well? Also, will the Facetime chats be saved in some history or anything like that? Thanks!

Posted by Jon on October 2, 2010 at 8:12 AM (PDT)

i have an ipod touch and the face time works with my friends but when i try to face time with my best friend she doesnt get my calls but when she calls me i do get her call but once i touch answer it says connecting and it stays like that for a while and then the called ends.so i was wondering what i can do about it?i was thinking its the wi-fi but i dont know what could be going wrong.

Posted by rod on October 5, 2010 at 12:08 PM (PDT)

How do we add contacts in facetime??? Please tell me in detailed please. Meaning is it like Blackberry where you have PINS and stuffs???

Posted by Pea on October 6, 2010 at 5:56 AM (PDT)

@Syd S. (#52) & rod (#55): The most likely cause of FaceTime problems is any firewalls that may be blocking FaceTime communication with the Internet. Make sure your router supports universal plug-and-play (UPNP) and that it’s enabled, and that your ISP isn’t blocking ports on your behalf. See this thread in our forums for more information.

@Ashley (#53): Yes, both devices must be using Wi-Fi. Even on the iPhone 4, FaceTime currently requires a Wi-Fi connection. However, as long as you’re connected to a Wi-Fi access point and aren’t behind any firewalls that block FaceTime, you can place and receive FaceTime calls.

@Jon (#54): There is no history of FaceTime chats themselves, other than a simple record that a call was placed (like the call history on a cell phone). FaceTime chats can theoretically be intercepted by anybody on the same Wi-Fi network as you as it’s not encrypted or anything like that, but this is not something that a casual user would likely be able to do. That said, anything you’re doing at a public Wi-Fi hotspot is inherently insecure unless you’re using some other form of encryption, and FaceTime is likely the least of your concerns in this case, as a lot of other information is far easier to intercept than a video chat stream.  Placing FaceTime calls on your properly-secured home Wi-Fi network would be far less vulnerable to eavesdropping.

@Pea (#56): FaceTime communication happens via e-mail address for an iPod touch or registered cellular phone number for an iPhone. There are no PINs or other numbers to be worried about. You basically just add your contacts to your iPhone or iPod touch “Contacts” app with their normal phone numbers and/or e-mail addresses and you can then place FaceTime calls to them by tapping the “FaceTime” button on the contact record.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on October 6, 2010 at 9:55 AM (PDT)

i just got my ipod touch 4 and i do not have an apple id because you need a credit card and i dont have one, so will face time work anyways, even tho i dont have an ID??

Posted by james on October 7, 2010 at 4:23 PM (PDT)

You don’t need a credit card just to setup an Apple ID—you’re thinking of an iTunes Store account.  An Apple ID is merely a login and password on Apple’s servers, and can be used for an iTunes Store account, product registration, and a bunch of other things such as Game Center and FaceTime.  To put it another way, every iTunes Store account uses an Apple ID, but not every Apple ID is associated with an iTunes Store account.

When setting up FaceTime on your iPod touch you can create a new Apple ID as part of that process, or you can create one using a web browser by going to http://appleid.apple.com.  The only information you need to provide setup a basic Apple ID is your e-mail address, name and date of birth.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on October 8, 2010 at 8:42 AM (PDT)

I have an iPod Touch 4G, Apple id and a Facetime account. I also have an iPhone 3GS and another Apple id. Is there anyway I can use the Facetime on my iPod Touch to communicate with my iPhone 3GS?

Posted by nordus on October 9, 2010 at 7:44 AM (PDT)

My facetime on my new Ipod touch 4 isn’t working it says ” Could not sign in. Please check your network connection and try again.” and everything is connected :s it’s doing this with my email on here also ? can anyone help

Posted by vanessa on October 9, 2010 at 8:04 PM (PDT)

If I own an iPhone 4 may I register my email as well under FaceTime so I don’t have to give out my #?

Posted by Dan on October 11, 2010 at 4:58 PM (PDT)

@nordus (#60): No. FaceTime is simply not available on the iPhone 3GS.

@vanessa (#61): Ensure that you’re entering the correct Apple ID and password. Also note that FaceTime requires an Apple ID that is formatted as an e-mail address and not just a user ID (ie, .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) as opposed to just “user”). You may need to change your Apple ID or sign up for a new one if you’re using one of the older username-only style Apple IDs.  You can check your Apple ID and change it if necessary by going to http://appleid.apple.com

@Dan (#62): No, the iPhone uses the phone number only for FaceTime—there is no way to setup an e-mail address like you can with the iPod touch.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on October 13, 2010 at 6:45 AM (PDT)

I’m having the same problems as other people…saying ” Could not sign in. Please check your network connection and try again.” I am using an email address, and not just the username id. Ive tried several times, and its just not working.

Posted by Vicky on October 16, 2010 at 11:41 AM (PDT)

HI:
I own an Itouch 2nd Generation and i am planning to buy the itouch 4th G this week:
1) Is it’s new application fat better than the 2nd G?
2) I am planning to give my old devise to my nephew, how can i register the old devise under his name?
Thanks

Posted by David I on October 18, 2010 at 8:58 PM (PDT)

Initially had a problem with FaceTime AND YouTube on my jailbroken iPod Touch 4G. Couldn’t log in on both. Managed to fix it by installing iPhoneModding then Push Fix via Cydia. Problem solved!

Posted by Charlie on October 19, 2010 at 12:23 AM (PDT)

is there anyway to chat and have a cam or video going at the same time so that the other person can see and hear you ?

Posted by lllypilly on October 19, 2010 at 7:12 PM (PDT)

Hey just wondering on iPod touch, in which box do u put the other persons email address?

Posted by Alex on October 19, 2010 at 8:27 PM (PDT)

i live in a country where upgrading iphone 4 to 4.1 will mean loosing facetime ( users experiece) is there away to keep my 4.0.2 (facetime running fine) and still be able to facetime with an ipod touch ?

Posted by sami on October 20, 2010 at 12:25 AM (PDT)

Do you think the new generation iPod touch will eventually get 3g connectivity?

Posted by bungle on October 22, 2010 at 4:52 AM (PDT)

One great use of the Facetime capability in the more affordable iPod Touch is the ability to keep in visual contact with elderly parent. I bought a Touch for my aged mother-in-law. Going to set it up and test it out first. I have a (mobileme) Apple ID. I was thinking of using this ID, then using my wife’s Yahoo mail address to test things out, then when my mother-in-law gets her email address from her soon to be Internet Provider, just replacing my wife’s Yahoo address with that. Any down side to me using my apple ID rather than setting up another for my mother-in-law?

Posted by Don on October 24, 2010 at 9:23 PM (PDT)

There are plenty of cool apps for the iPod Touch, esp for the 4th generation, I installed WHISTLE phone,
it is a cool app that can convert your iPod Touch into a working phone, I am in the Philippines and my wife is in the US, and calls are very clear, and yes, it all goes through the WiFi connection, and all calls are FREE,... So aside from the COOL Facetime feature, there are still plenty of great apps out there,...

Posted by Benedict on October 25, 2010 at 10:14 PM (PDT)

Is iphone 3 compatible with iOS4.1? I want to know if I can use my iphone 3 to FaceTime after upgrade to iOS4.1

Posted by Rich on October 28, 2010 at 8:40 PM (PDT)

Hello all,
I purchased my iPod touch 4 in Abu Dhabi, and it does not have the FaceTime app. Is there some way I can get it? Or is this some exclusionary setup Apple has done? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by Maekail on October 31, 2010 at 10:35 PM (PDT)

well. im planing to buy to ipod 4g for my husband n i, because wen im visiting my mom so i will be able to use facetime.that sucks that you have to look for wi-fi servise i dont have any on my moms house,apple should start like saleing prepaid cards for internet access dont u think.? so the “free text messaging” u need wi-fi conection too :(?

Posted by Martha on November 1, 2010 at 11:47 AM (PDT)

Can I download Skype on my iPOD touch 4G and do video chating wiht my frinds with computer?

Posted by Lokesh on November 2, 2010 at 8:45 AM (PDT)

i have a new ipod touch 4G and wanna register it but i dun not have a credit card..can i still do so..??

Posted by Leon on November 4, 2010 at 6:53 AM (PDT)

i am trying to decide between getting the new ipod touch or the new ipod nano, and FaceTime is definitely swaying me towards the ipod touch, just because i love travelling.

my question is: if you have the new ipod touch and use faceTime, does the person you are trying to contact ALSO need an ipod touch or iphone?? ....or can you use Facetime from a computer or something like that?

Posted by Christina on November 4, 2010 at 3:17 PM (PDT)

@Rich (#73): The iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS can use iOS 4.1 but you will not get the FaceTime features as these models do not have a front-facing camera. FaceTime is only available on the iPhone 4 (and fourth-generation iPod touch), as these are the only devices with front-facing cameras.

@Meekail (#74): Apple has disabled FaceTime in the firmware in certain specific countries. You might be able to get it back by jailbreaking, but I don’t have any specific experience with this. I’d suggest looking toward the jailbreak community to see what they’ve figured out, as if anybody is likely to have a solution, it’s them.

@Lokesh (#76): The current version of Skype for iOS devices doesn’t support video at all—it’s audio only at this point. So you would be able to use Skype to conduct an audio call with your friends on their computer, but that’s about it.

Leon (#77): You don’t need a credit card to register an Apple ID for FaceTime, just an e-mail address.  Don’t confuse an Apple ID with an iTunes Store account, as they’re not the same thing—an Apple ID is simply a user account on Apple’s servers that can be used for any number of things, including the iTunes Store and/or FaceTime. You should be able to setup an Apple ID directly in the FaceTime setup, and from there all you need to do is confirm your e-mail address.

@Christina (#78): The person you are communicating with needs to have a device that is specifically compatible with FaceTime. Right now this includes the iPhone 4, the fourth-generation iPod touch, or a Mac computer running the FaceTime application that can be freely downloaded from Apple. The presence of a FaceTime app for the Mac suggests that a Windows version might come along eventually, but for now it’s Mac-only.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on November 5, 2010 at 6:38 AM (PDT)

HI: using the facetime feature could i go onto the web browser and webchat?say like a video chat on facebook.or another site?

Posted by frank on November 6, 2010 at 7:13 AM (PDT)

Hi can an ipod touch talk to another ipod touch using facetime and both ipods are the recently released ipod 4th generation

Posted by Emperor Jagang on November 8, 2010 at 3:39 AM (PDT)

Sorry if i’ve missed this but how do i use facetime between the Iphone 4 and a MAC desktop? I’ve downloaded facetime on my MAC at home but cant get it and my Iphone to work together.

Posted by Butch on November 10, 2010 at 6:09 PM (PDT)

Can iPod users contact other iPod users just through email?

Posted by Jacob on November 10, 2010 at 9:37 PM (PDT)

I have a an ipod touch 4g and i cant figure out how to use facetime and talk to my friend that has and ipod touch 4g. i have her free texting number in my contacts but when i click face tame it doesnt work what do i do?

Posted by tee lee on November 11, 2010 at 11:59 AM (PDT)

Placing FaceTime calls to an iPod touch or a Mac requires that you put that person’s e-mail address in your contact list and use it to “call” the person.  A phone number won’t work as the iPod touch doesn’t actually have a phone number that FaceTime is aware of.

Placing FaceTime calls to an iPhone, on the other hand, uses the phone number of the iPhone and not the e-mail address.  In theory, the iPhone would be capable of also using an e-mail address to receive calls, however Apple has not provided that feature for iPhone users.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on November 12, 2010 at 8:25 AM (PDT)

Can you FaceTime a normal phone ? *:))

Posted by Sigga on November 13, 2010 at 2:28 PM (PDT)

Well the iPod 4g be haveing video for skype is it being worked on

Posted by John Lewis Criswell Jr on November 16, 2010 at 9:01 PM (PDT)

So, how much are we looking at if we have to pay for the internet useage on an ipod touch 4? lets say..
for 5 minutes
for 30 minuts
for an hour
and for 2 hours?

Very very intrigued.

Posted by Molly on November 18, 2010 at 1:32 PM (PDT)

Hi,
Facetime is great!! But my friend and me can not sign in to activate Facetime. We do follow step by step to set up new Apple ID account and access wifi but it show ” network disconect pls try again”“
Please explain why?

Posted by Xuan on November 21, 2010 at 7:57 AM (PDT)

I wondered if there was any insight on to why my Facetime keeps freezing when attempting to make a call using my iPod Touch.  I have full signal strength with my wi-fi connection…I was so excited to use it, but now I’m just frustrated at this point!  Thank you if you have any thoughts!

Posted by Ryan on November 21, 2010 at 4:01 PM (PDT)

So can you video chat with other devices like a computer??

Posted by Jeanie on November 21, 2010 at 11:15 PM (PDT)

My friend has a iPhone 4G and I have the iPod touch. If we are using Face Time, will I have to pay for anything? Or as long as we have wifi then we are good to use? Thans

Posted by Roslyn on November 23, 2010 at 11:42 PM (PDT)

Does the new itouchs face time need wifi to work?????????????

Posted by Joe on November 27, 2010 at 9:16 PM (PDT)

Hi, I’m getting an ipod touch 4th generation for christmas and my friends getting one also.  I know theres a game center but can I verse my friend usng the game center??? What games do they have???

Posted by kailee on November 28, 2010 at 3:54 PM (PDT)

If you can answer my quistions that would be great!!! Thannks.

Posted by kailee on November 28, 2010 at 4:00 PM (PDT)

with the apple id would u use ur itunes username and password or will it come with a user and password

Posted by annette on November 30, 2010 at 4:16 AM (PDT)

So if you have an itunes account you have an Apple ID?

Posted by Daniel White on December 3, 2010 at 6:00 PM (PDT)

can i call peoples phone

Posted by luke grenon on December 6, 2010 at 11:02 AM (PDT)

How can I download Facetime Application to my IPOD touch 4? I bought my IPOD 4 without Facetime on my menus….

Posted by jun mendoza on December 7, 2010 at 3:36 PM (PDT)

A few answers to the various questions above.

- FaceTime works over Wi-Fi and there are no additional charges except for whatever Wi-Fi data you’re using (ie, if you’re at a public hotspot where you need to pay for Wi-Fi).

- You must have a Wi-Fi connection in order to use FaceTime.  This is true on the iPhone as well.

- Your iTunes Store account is an Apple ID. You can either use that account or sign up for a new Apple ID.

- The iPod touch does not come with an Apple ID. You set one up yourself, or use one that you already have such as your iTunes Store account.

- A bit off-topic, but Game Center is an application that other games tie into. It doesn’t include any games—you have to purchase or download Game Center compatible games from the App Store. These games “hook in” to Game Center for posting high scores and playing multiplayer games with your friends.

- FaceTime can only be used to call other FaceTime devices. At this point, that’s the iPhone 4, fourth-generation iPod touch, or a Mac computer using the beta FaceTime application. It is not compatible with other video chat services such as iChat—if you’re a Mac user you have to download the FaceTime app separately.

- FaceTime should be installed by default on all fourth-generation iPod touch devices, although it may not be available in certain countries in the Middle East where it has been banned. There is no separate package to install, but it is also possible to disable it under the Parental Restrictions in the “Settings” app, in which case the icon will disappear.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on December 8, 2010 at 8:34 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >