How the new iPod touch does FaceTime | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

How the new iPod touch does FaceTime

By Jesse Hollington

Social Media & Software Editor, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, September 1, 2010
Backstage Categories:

As you’re probably aware by now, Apple unveiled a new iPod touch earlier today which, among other things, brings a second device into the FaceTime family. When FaceTime was introduced on the iPhone 4 earlier this year, Apple chose to integrate it with the built-in Phone app, a logical choice considering how the company wants to present it as just another type of phone call. Apple also used users’ actual cellular phone numbers from the iPhone 4 to register devices with its FaceTime servers and allow users to place calls to each other.

The problem, of course, is that the iPod touch has no Phone app nor an actual phone number to register with the FaceTime network. Contrary to a suspicious rumor that claimed Apple would add a VoIP Phone application to the iPod touch, Apple instead added a new standalone FaceTime app to the iPod touch specifically for handling FaceTime calls. It now simply uses the user’s e-mail address to identify them on the FaceTime network, a change that has already been discovered in the iOS 4.1 betas. iPhone users who want to call iPod touch users can simply select their e-mail address to initiate a FaceTime call, although you’ll need to upgrade to iOS 4.1 on your iPhone in order to do so.

iPod touch users will also apparently need an Apple ID to actually register their e-mail addresses with the FaceTime network, but it’s not clear whether this will happen transparently as it does on the iPhone or whether the user will need to complete some type of sign-in process.

Updated: For more detailed information on setting up and troubleshooting FaceTime, please check out our new Complete Guide to FaceTime.

« iPod touch 4G’s Battery Is Bigger, But Is It Better?

Yikes! iPod touch’s Rear Camera Capped at 960x720 Stills! »

Comments

ok, so you’re saying that you don’t need a credit card for an apple id.. does that mean an apple id is completely free?

Posted by dalena on December 13, 2010 at 10:24 AM (PDT)

Hi I have the Itouch 2nd generation and my sister-n-law haves one as well. She is in Ecuador and we tried to facetime but everytime I call her and she accepts it just says “Connecting” but then it hangs up.. What is it?

Posted by jackie on December 13, 2010 at 5:25 PM (PDT)

can i facetime’ wif an ipod 4g to i phone 4g ?

Posted by moots on December 15, 2010 at 3:38 AM (PDT)

My iPod won’t let me download apps it keep sending me to my billing info telling me that my security code is wrong is it something wrong with it

Posted by John Lewis Criswell Jr on December 16, 2010 at 5:34 PM (PDT)

facetime must be exp. server problems and the like Ive done all correctly and Still Fubar But ive seen it work and its Butt simple.. So its gotta be on the apps end at connect /Verify time Not the indiv, devices So just wait happens to apple alot you nimnods all think ur gonna get something for nuthin and Jam sites up for no reason that simple it’ll all work out just how long it takes is key dont count on it for x mas faces they on vacation

Posted by TomDamnD on December 22, 2010 at 11:35 AM (PDT)

hi. i have an ipod touch 2g. i will be getting the ipod touch 4g. Are all ipod touch 4g’s compatible with facetime? also does the ipod touch 4g have wifi built in?

Posted by Ma-ma456789 on December 23, 2010 at 5:48 PM (PDT)

I got a question,me and my sister both got the 4th generation Ipod touch and we are trying to figure out facetime. We called eachother on the app and it says that she is unavailable and she is not. We verified our accounts. What do I do, and how do I do it?

Posted by Erin M on December 25, 2010 at 1:37 PM (PDT)

im having the same problem as 61 . i can sign into game centre no problen but facetime just wont work ?

Posted by matty on December 25, 2010 at 1:57 PM (PDT)

So Please Explain Step-By-Step instructions on how to put our Email in the iPod Touch 4G because when i go to put a contact in it only asks for # then iPhone.

Posted by Tori Riner on December 25, 2010 at 7:51 PM (PDT)

i have an ipod touch and i have facetimed off it before to an iphone. does that mean my email is verifided to my ipod and i can facetime with other ipod 4 users?

Posted by kendall on December 25, 2010 at 10:57 PM (PDT)

I have apple id and an iPhone 4 I successfully use FaceTime daily with my sister also using an iPhone 4. I got both kids iPod touch 4g for christmas. We have set them up and it’s working intermittently!! (grrr!!) I used same apple id for all our 3. If the ft someone it comes up with my name. I want to change theirs to their own new apple id. How can I do this now it’s already done and if I do can you forsee any new probs. They both have own email addresses we are using!!!? It’s quite frustrating, any help would be fab!!

Posted by Bashymum on December 26, 2010 at 2:17 AM (PDT)

I have wifi but my face time spear let people connect to me and when they call me my iPod touch doesn’t ring

Posted by Aaron howlett on December 26, 2010 at 12:24 PM (PDT)

Okay, i got a new ipod touch and i CANNOT figure out how to facetime with other ipods. my friends set there facetime up, gave me there email, i put that in, and EVERYTIME i call any of my friends it says “Facetime…” for about 5 seconds then “FaceTime Failed. (Name) is not available for FaceTime” it does that with EVERYONE. its so stupid. please help?

Posted by Gage on December 26, 2010 at 12:26 PM (PDT)

can you from a ipod to ipod?

Posted by hernan on December 26, 2010 at 3:40 PM (PDT)

So when you use facetime can you hear the other person or is it just a video??

Posted by Taylor on December 26, 2010 at 5:41 PM (PDT)

Gage, you need to go into settings on the iPod choose FaceTime icon and open it up. Check you have sorted your apple id which must be verified via a link that will be sent to your own email address ( the one you use for your apple Id! You can do it via the ipod, just carefully follow the links. Good luck…! I did manage to sort the prob I had earlier but it’s def more tricky iPod to iPod that with the phone. I think having spent 24 hours reading the various forums etc it maybe a wifi firewall thing!!!

Posted by Bashymum on December 26, 2010 at 6:15 PM (PDT)

@Becky Becky There’s two microphones. And two cameras. Thee’s one in the front, and one in the back.

Posted by Nate on December 26, 2010 at 6:34 PM (PDT)

Ok does the other person have to have an iPod touch also

Posted by Kiersee on December 26, 2010 at 10:10 PM (PDT)

hola..
yo tengo el mismo problema de varios de uds y quisiera saber como lo solucionaron o que hicieron, cuando intento usar el facetime me aparece “imposible conectarse. Compruebe su conexion de red e intentelo de nuevo”  pero tengo todas las rayitas de señal, ya vi que este correcto el id y la contraseña, incluso las modifique y tampoco funciono… porfavor ayuda!!!

Posted by karla! on December 26, 2010 at 11:50 PM (PDT)

Hello. Me and my boyfriend both have iPod touch 4th generation and we keep trying to facetime but we are not receiving each others calls. We both have strong wi-fi signals and we both put each other in our contact list. Any ideas?

Posted by Kathryn on December 27, 2010 at 1:22 AM (PDT)

IT DOESN’T WORK every time I try to get it running and my email adress doesn’t verify

Posted by connor tripney on December 27, 2010 at 10:20 AM (PDT)

help please i allready hace an apple id but it says that i am not connected to a WIFI connection and i am so how can i solve the proble and i can use the internet in all app exceot on facetime please please please HELP!!!

Posted by amy diaz on December 27, 2010 at 6:41 PM (PDT)

Can someone add me on there contact list for try? my adress That I use for face time is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  Thanks smile

Posted by Sam on December 27, 2010 at 11:13 PM (PDT)

I have facetime on my ipod and an internet connection but whenever I try to call someone it says “not availabe for facetime.” Help!

Posted by ingii798 on December 28, 2010 at 10:28 AM (PDT)

How do you add a contact then…. Like when I try it says phonenumber not email… I don’t understand how to call someone. :(

Posted by Petra v. E on December 28, 2010 at 12:07 PM (PDT)

i got an iPod touch 4 for christmas
Hi i am 14 and i am wondering how iPod facetime works me and my friend tried it and we couldnt get it to work it always said krysta is not avalible and on hers it said Jyma is not avalible… So then me and my friend Lauren tried it and it did nothing…. So how do u do it ?
Thanks

Posted by Jyma on December 28, 2010 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

Do you have to download anything in order to use FaceTime or can you just use it by inserting a friends email who also owns the new iPod touch?

Posted by Jessica on December 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM (PDT)

Umm when I click on facetime for my iPod it brings me to my contact list how am I suppose to type in there email if it will only let me pick a contact number

Posted by Ally on December 29, 2010 at 1:02 AM (PDT)

Apple IDs are completely free.  You can sign up for one right from within the FaceTime app and you need only provide your name and e-mail address, which you will then need to verify by clicking on a link in an e-mail that is sent to you (much the same way for many other services you sign up for).

Apple IDs are used for many different things, from FaceTime to Apple produce registration to the iTunes Store.  Only the iTunes Store portion requires you to use a credit card or gift card, since it presumes you’re going to actually use the account to buy something.  That said, even with the iTunes Store you can sign up for an account by simply trying to download a free app.

To place FaceTime calls from the iPod touch you will need to add the person as a contact with their e-mail address (for a Mac or another iPod touch) or their phone number (for making FaceTime calls to an iPhone 4).  You can add contacts through the “Contacts” app or by syncing them from another contacts app via iTunes.

You do not need to download anything special to use FaceTime on the new iPod touch—it’s built into the system in the same way that the other apps are, and should appear on the main home screen by default.  You do have to login with an Apple ID and verify the e-mail address you wish to use, however.

FaceTime requires that you be signed in with an Apple ID and have a verified e-mail address.  If you have not yet verified your e-mail address by checking your inbox and clicking the link in the received e-mail, you will need to do this before you can place or receive FaceTime calls.  Always be sure to check your spam/junk mail box in case the verification e-mail ends up dropped in there instead.

Firewalls and some types of routers can prevent FaceTime from working, however it should usually work from any public Wi-Fi hotspot and definitely works at all of the Apple Stores.  This can be a difficult issue to troubleshoot, but the rule of thumb is that if you can get FaceTime working from a public Wi-Fi network at work or school but can’t get it working at home, chances are it’s a router configuration problem.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on December 29, 2010 at 10:55 AM (PDT)

So will there be an app for the iPod so that I can video chat with my family on the other side of the country using skype? If so approximately how far away from now? I feel it was a waist to make the new iPod with the camera and have a skype app and not be able to use the skype app with the “new camera”

Posted by Sarah on December 29, 2010 at 1:22 PM (PDT)

That’s ultimately up to Skype.  There doesn’t seem to be anything preventing them from bringing out an iPhone/iPod touch app that supports video—they already have one for audio purposes.

Other app developers such as Fring have released updates to their apps that make use of the front camera.  It’s unclear what’s holding Skype back from doing so.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on December 29, 2010 at 2:53 PM (PDT)

I have the new ipod touch and i have used facetime a couple of times and it has worked perfectly! But i have talked to my friend that i would like to chat with and she even showed me her information. I have tried many times to facetime her with both her ipod number and her email, but a note always pops up saying “Facetime failed” and then it tells me that she is not available for facetime. How can i get it to work so we can facetime?

Posted by Mallory on December 29, 2010 at 5:08 PM (PDT)

but i have never got to facetime with her…..and she said that it fails when she tries calling me too

Posted by Mallory on December 29, 2010 at 6:38 PM (PDT)

I can’t find this anywhere! On my I pod touch I want to talk to two other people. How would I do this

Posted by Brooke on December 29, 2010 at 8:05 PM (PDT)

Does the iPod have to have FaceTime app opened to receive a facetime request?

Posted by Blake on December 29, 2010 at 8:24 PM (PDT)

No Blake it will just ring with message telling you that *friends name*. Requests FaceTime then you accept or decline then it will show connecting for a while then all being well bingo and your pal will appear!!

Posted by Bashymum on December 30, 2010 at 1:39 PM (PDT)

For more detailed information on setting up and troubleshooting FaceTime please check out our new Complete Guide to FaceTime.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on December 30, 2010 at 5:35 PM (PDT)

Is facetime really all free? From iPod 4th gen to another iPod 4th gen?

Posted by Brianna on December 30, 2010 at 7:25 PM (PDT)

If you get a portable Wi-Fi modem (like the Virgin Mobile MiFi which you can carry in your pocket), you can use any wireless feature on your iPod Touch 4 ANYWHERE in the USA.  You don’t have to be at home or at a place with free Wi-Fi. (zomgz, FaceTime anywhere, since you can carry the MiFi in your pocket)

Google Virgin Mobile Mi-Fi :p

Posted by Kelvin on December 31, 2010 at 5:07 AM (PDT)

Hi, I have the iTouch 4G is it possible to facetime with someone who has a 3G? Thank you

Posted by Deborah Crothers on December 31, 2010 at 9:24 AM (PDT)

hi, my question still hasn’t been answered. are all ipod touch 4gs compatible with facetime? i also heard the ipod touch 4g has built in wifi. is this true?

Posted by ma-ma456789 on December 31, 2010 at 4:16 PM (PDT)

To: deborah crothers. hi it is not possible to facetime because the ipod touch 3g does not have a front or back camera.

Posted by ma-ma456789 on December 31, 2010 at 4:19 PM (PDT)

can we facetime from ipod4g to ipod4g or do we need to facetime to an iphone?

Posted by isaa on January 2, 2011 at 1:05 AM (PDT)

Mine still isn’t working me and my girlfriend have been trying for days . We both have a iPod touch 3rd generation. We have our apple ids we have our emails , cell numbers and home numbers in our searches. But we still can’t connect. Is there anything else that we could do?

Posted by Sarah on January 2, 2011 at 11:15 AM (PDT)

so all i have to do is get my friends email that got the same ipod then we can facetime?

Posted by raerae on January 2, 2011 at 2:33 PM (PDT)

Does the person that you do face time with have to have an ipod touch too

Posted by Jill on January 4, 2011 at 4:53 PM (PDT)

Do you pay for face time like as in you would pay credit for a phone because I’m thinking about buying one soon for my daughter

Posted by Manda on January 5, 2011 at 3:06 AM (PDT)

casn you use and 8gb ipod touch 4g for factime scince my friend told me you needed an 32gb at least for facetime

Posted by secret on January 5, 2011 at 11:50 AM (PDT)

when i try and facetmie my friend on ma new ipod touch it says ()is unavaible at the time, every time. he has the iphone 4. help?

Posted by brett on January 7, 2011 at 7:18 AM (PDT)

Hey my brother have and iPod and I have the iPhone My brother is in Colombia and I am in Canada wen his using the face time with me he puts my cell # not my email and it works but do I have to pay bc he is using my cell # ???? Bc with my email it don’t work but with my cell # it works

Posted by Eliana on January 7, 2011 at 11:57 PM (PDT)

FACETIME DOES NOT CONNECT NETWORK CONNECTION PROBLEM

Posted by MARIA on January 12, 2011 at 4:56 PM (PDT)

How do i get my 2 daughters with the ipod touch 4, to facetime each other, and the family uses the same itunes to share aps and music. If i set up another account, doesn’t that mean they won’t share the same stuff. They can facetime us to our Iphone 4 but we facetime to them and it has to go to both.

Posted by Cory on January 13, 2011 at 1:37 PM (PDT)

I own the new ipod touch
and I facetime fine
and I have no problems with it
and my sister has it too
but she cant facetime she has an Apple ID and everything but it just wont work we did the whole process and everything and we have wi-fi I just dont understand why it still doesn’t work.

Posted by karla on January 15, 2011 at 5:24 PM (PDT)

I am trying to connect on FT from my iPod to a iPhone but I get the message that the person I am calling is not available for FT we have both registered.  Does anyone know what’s happening and how I can correct this?

Posted by Ronalda on January 17, 2011 at 8:06 PM (PDT)

Hi….I was wondering why dosen’t the iPod let me download my pictures to facebook??? and what should I do to get it fixed???

Posted by Renee on January 21, 2011 at 11:24 AM (PDT)

Hey I have an ipod touch 4th Gen. and i’m going to Guatemala do you think i can use Facetime over there?

Posted by Brennda M on January 22, 2011 at 10:37 PM (PDT)

How does the facetime work internationally?  I am in Canada and my fiance is currently in the UK…I have the IPOD4 and he is going to get an IPOD4 but will we be able to use the facetime internationally?

Posted by Juanita Ladd on January 25, 2011 at 12:02 PM (PDT)

My Ipod is 4g and I have been trying to call my friend on facetime. The call does not ring for one second before saying “Facetime failed: *So and so* is not available at this time.” But we have been talking for hours now! I know she is right in front of her ipod and she would answer me if i called her. She told me she could call me just fine. I, on the other hand, have to call her 1,000,000 times w/ that same message. Please tell me what to do & how to fix this problem:) Thanx!:)))

Posted by ipod_4g_user1 on January 25, 2011 at 5:06 PM (PDT)

can you call from an iphone4 to an ipod 4g via facetime cuz my friend and i are having some troubles??

Posted by markus on January 29, 2011 at 11:42 PM (PDT)

Me and my brother got the new iPod touches with the camera as well as FaceTime.  But I dont know how to call him on his iPod touch. Tried email but it went right to the message app. So basically. Idk how to get face time to connect from iPod touch to iPod touch

Posted by Chris on February 2, 2011 at 5:41 PM (PDT)

I’ve got an ipod touch 3rd generation. Is there some kind of attachment or application I can purchase to allow internet access without Wi-FI? Going to Hawaii soon and would love to have internet access throughout my vacation.

Posted by Debbie on February 6, 2011 at 10:49 AM (PDT)

I just got the new ipod touch and my friend just got the new iphone. We tried facetime but it did not work. I am studying abroad in malta, but I have wifi. Is there something I need to do?

Posted by Jessie on February 11, 2011 at 7:24 AM (PDT)

Hi! I was wondering if you can have a FaceTime chat from ipod touch to ipod touch?
Thanks!

Posted by El on February 11, 2011 at 10:04 AM (PDT)

so i have an ipod touch 4th generaation and my mom jujst got the same one and she lives in clifornia and we were trying to figure out how too add each other since ipods touchs dont have numbers…... how do i add her so we can face time?

Posted by kendall on February 20, 2011 at 6:28 PM (PDT)

I am getting that same error about check network connection.  My daughter is sitting right next to me with her IPod and it is working fine.  I have internet connection and a valid apple id.  And I have tried shutting it off and on.  What do I try next?

Posted by Kim on February 28, 2011 at 3:52 PM (PDT)

Hi so i like facetime but it frezezs randomly ! I hate it b/c after that the call usually drops. Do you know a way for it not to freeze ?!

Posted by Kerstie on March 5, 2011 at 10:05 AM (PDT)

I have a child with a new iPod touch and went to check on homework to find her facetiming with a friend.  We have password protected wireless and she does not know the password.  This way she can use the internet outside of the home where HOME work is supposed to take place.  When confronted, she said she was using a neighbor’s network.  I checked and there were no available networks in the neighborhood.  Her friend was able to facetime her but when she tried to facetime the friend she couldn’t because she can’t get on our network.  Is it possible that friends with wireless can facetime to her and she not be able to initiate facetimes to them?  How did her friend get through to her if my daughter doesn’t have wireless access.  These are two new iPod touches.

Posted by Ann on March 6, 2011 at 8:37 PM (PDT)

when i try to activate facetime on my ipod touch, it says, “An error occured during activation. Try again.” I have a valid apple ID, which is what it asks for and its entered correctly..what could be the error?

Posted by Brandi on March 7, 2011 at 7:29 PM (PDT)

Hey ok so me and my friend put our apple ID in oyr contacts and when we try calling eachother in facetime it wont work Somebody please tell me how to use it:)

Posted by Lauren g on March 9, 2011 at 5:55 PM (PDT)

I have a Touch4 with my home email address. Do I need to add my work email address too so I can be contacted there as well

Posted by carol on March 16, 2011 at 4:10 PM (PDT)

i have two questions, first my aunt has an iphone 4g ios 4.1, and i have an ipod touch 4th gen, if she facetimes me, will it cost her any minutes intially while she makes the connection?
and second, i have an apple id registerd on my debit card, which since I have nearly zero balance, i will shut down the account, will my apple Id stop working? i dont use it to make any purchases, just needed one for facetime.

Posted by kkhan on March 21, 2011 at 4:58 PM (PDT)

hello,good day!!!
i buy new one ipod touch 4th generation 4 days ago, the problem i dont have facetime include in ipod touch. how can get it and download the software? please help me thanks

Posted by pablo on April 5, 2011 at 4:17 PM (PDT)

Hi I am having the same problem as 107!

It says that the other person is unavailable and then it wouldn’t work!
This is just annoying who knew that FaceTime had so many problems that are needed to be fixed just for it to work!

I as of this moment hate FaceTime I mean why should u like an app that doesn’t work? It makes no sense!

Posted by Emily on April 7, 2011 at 12:01 PM (PDT)

Hi, i was wondering if facetime can work with yahoo on a computer or can facetime connect to a computer at all?

Posted by April Collins on April 10, 2011 at 6:12 PM (PDT)

One quick question can i person download face time in their pc so an i pod touch call that computer?

Posted by kevin on April 15, 2011 at 1:57 PM (PDT)

okay, may be a stupid question but if me and my partner both have a ipod touch with facetime, can i call him if we are on different wifi connections?

Posted by kaylaclayton7 on April 21, 2011 at 8:19 AM (PDT)

I am going to Mexico and would like to communicate home. Will I be able to use FaceTime using wifi? Does it work internationally?

Posted by Tiffany on June 22, 2011 at 3:50 PM (PDT)

if you have an ipod touch that isnt connected to internet and another one that is, what happens when you cal the one that isnt connected?? does it work? does it keep ringing or does it say unavailable

Posted by jerry on June 23, 2011 at 4:17 AM (PDT)

mine is stuck on the keyboard and it wont do anything someone plz tell me how to fix it

Posted by jacob on July 10, 2011 at 10:14 PM (PDT)

hi,
i jst wnna kno dat in ipod touch 4g we can do video chat also with other who is not having ipod 4g or iphon through internet????thanx

Posted by ravish on July 11, 2011 at 1:36 PM (PDT)

I was wondering do you get charged for face time, texting?
And can you call on the iphone four and how?

Posted by lacey on August 10, 2011 at 5:41 PM (PDT)

Ok I’m sory if this question was asked but I didn’t see it. What do I need to FaceTime with a next Itouch???

Posted by Chamil on August 24, 2011 at 6:52 AM (PDT)

I can call people on facetime and it works,,,,but when they call me I don’t get the calls?

Posted by Carla on September 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM (PDT)

I have had an Ipod 4g for a while.  Just bought two for the kids at xmas.  They can facetime each other, however I cannot contact either one, it just says it is ringing, but neither of the newer 4g’s receive any sort of notification to indicate that I am calling.  All on the same network here at home.  Any thoughts?

Posted by Derek on January 11, 2012 at 7:25 PM (PDT)

Can you do face time with another ipod touch 4th generation and what does it mean when i click on my friends and it says (name) is not avalible for face time idmeditly when i click in his name it says that

Posted by Jeremiah on January 17, 2012 at 4:53 PM (PDT)

Saying it is FREE is a misconception to children.
I tried to explain to the G’daughter that nothing in this world is FREE, someone somewhere is paying for it.  In this case me in data download/upload.  Please tell that to the kids.

Posted by Nusiance Nanna on June 30, 2012 at 7:58 PM (PDT)

can i use facetime to video chat on facebook and skype???????

Posted by larry on July 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM (PDT)

Can the iPod Touch be used with Neat (as the iPhone 4 can be used) to create and send an image of a receipt to the Neat Cloud or preferably to create, store and transfer the receipt image directly via USB cable to the Neat program on a desktop computer?

Posted by Rob on August 18, 2012 at 3:38 PM (PDT)

Hi!  This has nothing to do with facetime.  I have an ipod 64GB 2nd generation.  I’m currently using a calculator in an ipod.  The question that I have is when I press on a decimal point button, it always come out with a comma.  How can you change the setting and switch it from comma to a decimal point?  Without decimal point, you cannot do any math problems.  Decimal point is very important when you’re dealing with prices on a certain product.  I’ve looked through many website on how to solve this problem.  Can you help me please?  Thanx

Posted by BoB on December 29, 2012 at 12:11 AM (PDT)

when my son facetimes me from his Ipod 5 it shows a phone number. why does this phone number appear when he only has a ipod 5 and facetime is run through wifi not phone connection. and now he has lost his ipod and I was wondering if I could track his phone through this facetime phone number? we didnt have Icloud hooked up on his ipod:(

Posted by barb on January 2, 2013 at 8:36 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2