How to get our 2011 Buyers’ Guide (and entire Library) into iBooks
As in previous years, our 2011 Buyers’ Guide comes to you as a downloadable PDF file that can be viewed on your Mac or PC, iPhone, iPod touch or iPad. We’ve created separate versions, two optimized for computers and iPads, the other tested and ready for iPhones and iPod touches. Rather than trying to read the huge book in Safari, we strongly recommend that you download the entire PDF and store it in iBooks, which lets you enjoy it offline and come back to wherever you last left off.
iPhone and iPod touch. Downloading the Guide directly to your device is straightforward if you’re an iPhone or iPod touch user with iOS 4. Simply tap on the three “View on iPhone/touch Parts 1-3” links to the 2011 Buyers’ Guide from our Library, open each piece in Safari, and you should see an “Open in iBooks” button appear in the top-right corner. Tap on this and the three separate PDF files will be saved and opened individually in iBooks.
As an added bonus, once in iBooks the PDFs should sync back to your iTunes library the next time you connect, saving a copy on your computer that can be synced to any other iOS devices you own. Your can even add bookmarks which will be synced across all of your iOS devices, along with your current reading position.
iPad and Pre-iOS 4 iPhones/iPod touches. Unfortunately, the “Open in iBooks” feature is only available in Safari in iOS 4, so older iPhone and iPod touch users, as well as iPad users currently on iOS 3.2 don’t have this option—at least not yet. Until iOS 4.2 releases for the iPad in November, or if you’re using a non-iOS 4 device, we recommend that you download either the two-page or one-page version of the Guide directly to your Mac or PC, then add the PDF to iTunes by dragging and dropping the file right onto the iTunes window. From there, the PDF should automatically sync to iBooks on your iPad the next time you connect it, or you can manually drag and drop it onto your iPad.
Our Library now contains 15 separate downloadable Guides and Books we’ve published since 2004. You’re welcome to grab them all—they’re free!
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apps of the Week: Sago Mini Road Trip, Football Manager Handheld 2015, Deliveries 6.0 + more
- Square plans to accept Apple Pay in 2015
- Google settles patent litigation with Apple’s Rockstar consortium
- Corning announces Gorilla Glass 4
- Report: GT Advanced struggled with sapphire production
- Report: Apple plans to integrate Beats Music directly into iOS
- Apple plans to ‘repurpose’ Arizona manufacturing plant, save jobs
- Apple announces WatchKit software tools available to developers now
- Apple ordered to pay $23.6M in pager technology settlement
- Apple opens up Lightning port to third-party manufacturers, begins accepting HomeKit plans
- G-Project G-Go Outdoor Wireless Speaker (2014)
- SteelSeries Stratus XL Gaming Controller
- Belkin/Jarden Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Smart Coffeemaker
- Logitech Keys-to-Go For iPad
- IvySkin Renegade for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Infinity Infinity One Wireless Speaker
- Twelve South PlugBug World iPad/iPhone Charger
- Pelican Protector for iPhone 6 and Voyager for iPhone 6 Plus
- STM Flip for iPhone 6
- Griffin Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0