Huzzk rubbers up the MacBook and Pro
Published: Friday, April 6, 2007
They’re billed as “alternative fashion,” but Idea Vault’s new $40 Huzzk MacBook and MacBook Pro cases - sometimes called Huzzk Sleevies or Huzzk Skins - are far more mainstream than that tagline would suggest. The first thing you’ll notice on opening the package is the strong rubber smell, attributable to a thick layer of water-resistant rubber on each design. Then you’ll see the patterns and textures: the so-called GT Series looks like a tire (recalling the Solio Treads), while Hana has Asian-styled, silhouetted plants, Spots looks a bit like an oversized Lego, and Wave has wavy lines. Colors aside, all of the rubber surfaces have actual depth, save for the mildly etched Hana, and the cases have black 4mm neoprene interiors, with elastic that attaches to the corners of the top and bottom halves of each MacBook.
Once the rubber smell had worn off, our resident case reviewer Christina weighed in with an unusually positive comment: she really liked how these cases looked, relative to the many others she’s checked out recently for MacBooks. The orange Spots version is on her MacBook right now, and like the others, it’s black-edged with a double zipper. These zippers come together with a central hole you can padlock, assuming you buy one. And a simple little nylon multi-purpose pouch comes with each of the Huzzk cases, large enough to toss an iPod or cell phone inside, with a drawstring to keep the pouch mostly closed, and a keychain-sized rear loop that doesn’t attach to anything in particular on the case.
The Huzzk cases are floating around on eBay now, and apparently in search of U.S. and International mass distribution. At these prices, our initial take is that they’re worthy of being in stores - fun, unique designs that stand out a lot from the MacBook pack. More pictures can be found under Read More, below.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple TV adds FOX Now, CNBC channels
- Popular Bitcoin wallet app Blockchain returns to App Store
- Report: Apple Stores to support carrier early iPhone upgrade programs
- Report: Apple buying talk radio app Swell
- Congress passes bill to legalize phone unlocking
- Bose sues Beats over noise-canceling patents
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Modern Combat 5: Blackout
- Apps of the Week: ShipAntics, Modern Combat 5, This American Life 3.0 + more
- Report: Apple could launch own mobile wallet this fall
- Report: Apple ‘tentatively’ plans mid-September iPhone event
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks