Huzzk rubbers up the MacBook and Pro
They’re billed as “alternative fashion,” but Idea Vault’s new $40 Huzzk MacBook and MacBook Pro cases - sometimes called Huzzk Sleevies or Huzzk Skins - are far more mainstream than that tagline would suggest. The first thing you’ll notice on opening the package is the strong rubber smell, attributable to a thick layer of water-resistant rubber on each design. Then you’ll see the patterns and textures: the so-called GT Series looks like a tire (recalling the Solio Treads), while Hana has Asian-styled, silhouetted plants, Spots looks a bit like an oversized Lego, and Wave has wavy lines. Colors aside, all of the rubber surfaces have actual depth, save for the mildly etched Hana, and the cases have black 4mm neoprene interiors, with elastic that attaches to the corners of the top and bottom halves of each MacBook.
Once the rubber smell had worn off, our resident case reviewer Christina weighed in with an unusually positive comment: she really liked how these cases looked, relative to the many others she’s checked out recently for MacBooks. The orange Spots version is on her MacBook right now, and like the others, it’s black-edged with a double zipper. These zippers come together with a central hole you can padlock, assuming you buy one. And a simple little nylon multi-purpose pouch comes with each of the Huzzk cases, large enough to toss an iPod or cell phone inside, with a drawstring to keep the pouch mostly closed, and a keychain-sized rear loop that doesn’t attach to anything in particular on the case.
The Huzzk cases are floating around on eBay now, and apparently in search of U.S. and International mass distribution. At these prices, our initial take is that they’re worthy of being in stores - fun, unique designs that stand out a lot from the MacBook pack. More pictures can be found under Read More, below.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple to drop first-gen Apple TV, iPod classic support as of Sept 8th
- New Apple TV to feature motion sensitive remote
- Media companies balk at $40/mo. plan for Apple TV service
- Former Beats Music CEO Ian Rogers leaves Apple
- Apple partners with PayAnywhere for Apple Pay
- Report: iPhone 6S to retain 16GB base model
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- iPhone 6S to get front flash mode? (Update: Rose Gold color on the way)
- Report: iPhone 6S to support Motion wallpapers
- Rumor: iPhone 6S Plus to have smaller battery, packaging revealed?
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?