Huzzk rubbers up the MacBook and Pro
They’re billed as “alternative fashion,” but Idea Vault’s new $40 Huzzk MacBook and MacBook Pro cases - sometimes called Huzzk Sleevies or Huzzk Skins - are far more mainstream than that tagline would suggest. The first thing you’ll notice on opening the package is the strong rubber smell, attributable to a thick layer of water-resistant rubber on each design. Then you’ll see the patterns and textures: the so-called GT Series looks like a tire (recalling the Solio Treads), while Hana has Asian-styled, silhouetted plants, Spots looks a bit like an oversized Lego, and Wave has wavy lines. Colors aside, all of the rubber surfaces have actual depth, save for the mildly etched Hana, and the cases have black 4mm neoprene interiors, with elastic that attaches to the corners of the top and bottom halves of each MacBook.
Once the rubber smell had worn off, our resident case reviewer Christina weighed in with an unusually positive comment: she really liked how these cases looked, relative to the many others she’s checked out recently for MacBooks. The orange Spots version is on her MacBook right now, and like the others, it’s black-edged with a double zipper. These zippers come together with a central hole you can padlock, assuming you buy one. And a simple little nylon multi-purpose pouch comes with each of the Huzzk cases, large enough to toss an iPod or cell phone inside, with a drawstring to keep the pouch mostly closed, and a keychain-sized rear loop that doesn’t attach to anything in particular on the case.
The Huzzk cases are floating around on eBay now, and apparently in search of U.S. and International mass distribution. At these prices, our initial take is that they’re worthy of being in stores - fun, unique designs that stand out a lot from the MacBook pack. More pictures can be found under Read More, below.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!