Idiocracy’s Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator, Becomes a Reality
I could—and probably should—repeat the details of my previous strong recommendation of the Mike Judge movie Idiocracy, which I discussed in an earlier Backstage entry and have probably watched 10 times since then. But instead, I’m going to leave a couple of photos here for your consideration, along with a few thoughts on what’s shown in them.
As previously noted, Fox did almost everything possible to destroy this movie’s chances of being seen by large audiences. It released the film in something like six theaters, some of which didn’t even have the title on their marquees. Then the DVD release took place with hardly any publicity, save for that generated by people such as me, who searched it out on the strength of Mike Judge’s earlier movie Office Space and found it so amusing and prescient that we had to write about it. As with Office Space, Idiocracy developed a cult following. And then something insane happened. Brawndo, the Gatorade-styled “thirst mutilator” beverage that starred in the movie, has just become a reality: an energy drink company in California licensed the rights from Fox, and now sells it in 24 packs.
When I heard the news a few weeks ago, I decided I wasn’t going to buy any, lest this licensing deal actually make money for the people at Fox, who deserve nothing after what they did to kill the film. So I was shocked when the UPS truck rolled up today to deliver a case that a friend bought me as a Christmas present (thanks, Christian!), and I’m hoping that Mike Judge might be getting a cut of the merchandising rights for the purchase. Anyway, here’s what it looks like. It tastes like liquid lime-flavored Jell-O. And it does have electrolytes, which is oddly enough what I’ve been craving since packing up everything and moving to New York. You can find Brawndo for sale here.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple now selling SIM-free iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- AT&T opens up Wi-Fi calling for iPhone
- Battery impact of Samsung vs TSMC A9 chips overestimated? (Update: Apple response)
- Apple TV, iPad Pro to be sold online in late October, in stores early November?
- iBooks adds exclusive enhanced editions of Harry Potter series
- Report: Barclays to launch Apple Pay support in the UK early next year
- Apple reveals Beats Pill+ speaker
- Antitrust monitor: Apple is ‘its own worst enemy’
- Report: Apple holding $181.1 billion in offshore tax havens
- Apple releases fourth iOS 9.1 beta, third tvOS beta to developers
- Creative Sound Blaster Roar 2 Bluetooth Speaker
- Parrot Airborne Night and Airborne Cargo Drones
- Griffin Survivor Journey and Survivor Summit for iPhone 6/6s
- Parrot Jumping Night and Jumping Race Drones
- Trident Case Aegis Pro Case for iPhone 6/6s
- Scosche boomBOTTLE+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Just Mobile Quattro Folio for iPhone 6s
- X-Doria Defense Lux for iPhone 6s/6
- Spigen Perfect Armor for iPhone 6s, Slim/Tough Armor for iPhone 6s Plus
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?