Idiocracy’s Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator, Becomes a Reality
I could—and probably should—repeat the details of my previous strong recommendation of the Mike Judge movie Idiocracy, which I discussed in an earlier Backstage entry and have probably watched 10 times since then. But instead, I’m going to leave a couple of photos here for your consideration, along with a few thoughts on what’s shown in them.
As previously noted, Fox did almost everything possible to destroy this movie’s chances of being seen by large audiences. It released the film in something like six theaters, some of which didn’t even have the title on their marquees. Then the DVD release took place with hardly any publicity, save for that generated by people such as me, who searched it out on the strength of Mike Judge’s earlier movie Office Space and found it so amusing and prescient that we had to write about it. As with Office Space, Idiocracy developed a cult following. And then something insane happened. Brawndo, the Gatorade-styled “thirst mutilator” beverage that starred in the movie, has just become a reality: an energy drink company in California licensed the rights from Fox, and now sells it in 24 packs.
When I heard the news a few weeks ago, I decided I wasn’t going to buy any, lest this licensing deal actually make money for the people at Fox, who deserve nothing after what they did to kill the film. So I was shocked when the UPS truck rolled up today to deliver a case that a friend bought me as a Christmas present (thanks, Christian!), and I’m hoping that Mike Judge might be getting a cut of the merchandising rights for the purchase. Anyway, here’s what it looks like. It tastes like liquid lime-flavored Jell-O. And it does have electrolytes, which is oddly enough what I’ve been craving since packing up everything and moving to New York. You can find Brawndo for sale here.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- AT&T wants $100M data throttling fine thrown out
- Apple Music added to T-Mobile’s Music Freedom
- Report: Apple Music hits 10M subscribers
- Apple Maps vans landing in France, Sweden in August
- Report: Slimmer iPad mini 4 on the way, upgraded iPad Air 3 a possibility
- Beijing police bust massive iPhone counterfeiting operation
- Report: Apple interested in BMW i3 as ‘starting point’ for its own car
- Nike to offer customers cash in proposed FuelBand settlement
- Apple Watch coming to Best Buy on August 7
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Ulak Lumenair for iPhone 6
- Apple iPod touch (Sixth-Generation)
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?