In the Labs: Altec Lansing’s Expressionist BASS
We can’t claim to totally understand the design vibe behind Altec Lansing’s inMotion MAX, but Expressionist BASS ($130, aka FX3022) makes a bit more sense visually and conceptually. We’ve been playing with a pair of $600 Focal XS multimedia/iPod speakers for the last couple of weeks and enjoying them, yet Expressionist BASS seems like a way more mainstream concept: dump the need for a subwoofer by just integrating two firmly stabilized sub-class drivers into the bases of cone-shaped left and right desktop speakers.
Altec has placed 1.5” drivers at the top of each of the cones, firing forwards from steampunk-styled grilles, and 4” drivers at the bottom, with fin-like feet to provide stabilization. The result is nice, warm sound, though there’s no remote control, no way to play with the audio balance—volume and power controls are all you get—and of course no iPod dock for the setup. Hence, it’s here on Backstage. We’re going to continue to try it out for a little while and see whether it’s worthy of supplanting some of our other multimedia speaker favorites. More pictures of these interestingly designed audio towers are available by clicking on this article’s title.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?