Interesting: Speck’s Fruity AT&T-Exclusive iPhone 4 Case Promo Box
In the video game industry, companies with huge promotional budgets routinely design special boxes and goodies to show off their new products to the media. But very few iPod, iPhone, or iPad developers have ever jazzed up new releases to show them off, and fewer still have come up with ways of doing so that don’t seem like attempts at bribery. Speck Products this week found the right side of the promotional line, coming up with a novel way to publicize its line of AT&T-exclusive CandyShell and Fitted Cases for iPhone 4: it assembled a faux fruit crate—amusingly orange-themed, rather than apple—with each of the exclusive cases wrapped in the sort of styrofoam packing wrappers used by high-end fruit retailers such as Harry and David.
Two colorful new versions of Fitted were in the box, both more “fun” and “summery” than the standard collection of mature fabric-backed cases; there were also three exclusive CandyShell variations, and the classic black and gray CandyShell that’s available elsewhere. Speck experiments with lots of colors and patterns for all of its cases, picking only a handful for widespread release and leaving many sitting in its labs—a deal like this clearly gives AT&T some interesting options, especially the black and pink CandyShell, that might appeal to fashion-conscious female customers.
Also interesting: going along with the orange theme, Speck included a “flip and tumble” portable shopping bag that can be compacted into a soft orange-shaped ball for easy storage and unfurled as needed. “Because comparing Apples to oranges is impossible,” explains Speck, “we’ve given you both to enjoy.” Cute. And a smart way to promote an exclusive case partnership that would have been very easy to miss otherwise.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Happy Thanksgiving 2014 from iLounge!
- Apps of the Week: The Longest Journey Remastered, Facebook Groups, Dropbox 3.5.2 + Runkeeper 5.1
- Apple highlights more Apple Watch info
- Verizon sponsoring ad-free listening to all U.S. iTunes Radio users
- Microsoft, Yahoo hope to replace Google for Safari default search?
- T-Mobile required to fully disclose throttled data speeds
- Steve Jobs biopic picked up by Universal, Fassbender to star
- Handbrake updated to 0.10, adds new encoders + more
- Report: ‘Deep Organizational Issues’ at Apple affecting iCloud progress
- Apple announces Product(RED) Gift Cards for Black Friday
- Verus Case Damda Slide for iPhone 6 Plus
- Heckler Design @Rest Stand for iPad (2014)
- Kerf Case Wood Cases for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio for iPhone 6 Plus
- ZeroChroma FluxStand-Compatible Car Vent Mount + Reflective Armband
- Griffin Slim Folio and Survivor All-Terrain for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Slide-Mount Combo Pack for iPad Folio-Slide Cases
- G-Project G-Go Outdoor Wireless Speaker (2014)
- SteelSeries Stratus XL Gaming Controller
- Belkin/Jarden Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Smart Coffeemaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0