Interesting: Speck’s Fruity AT&T-Exclusive iPhone 4 Case Promo Box
In the video game industry, companies with huge promotional budgets routinely design special boxes and goodies to show off their new products to the media. But very few iPod, iPhone, or iPad developers have ever jazzed up new releases to show them off, and fewer still have come up with ways of doing so that don’t seem like attempts at bribery. Speck Products this week found the right side of the promotional line, coming up with a novel way to publicize its line of AT&T-exclusive CandyShell and Fitted Cases for iPhone 4: it assembled a faux fruit crate—amusingly orange-themed, rather than apple—with each of the exclusive cases wrapped in the sort of styrofoam packing wrappers used by high-end fruit retailers such as Harry and David.
Two colorful new versions of Fitted were in the box, both more “fun” and “summery” than the standard collection of mature fabric-backed cases; there were also three exclusive CandyShell variations, and the classic black and gray CandyShell that’s available elsewhere. Speck experiments with lots of colors and patterns for all of its cases, picking only a handful for widespread release and leaving many sitting in its labs—a deal like this clearly gives AT&T some interesting options, especially the black and pink CandyShell, that might appeal to fashion-conscious female customers.
Also interesting: going along with the orange theme, Speck included a “flip and tumble” portable shopping bag that can be compacted into a soft orange-shaped ball for easy storage and unfurled as needed. “Because comparing Apples to oranges is impossible,” explains Speck, “we’ve given you both to enjoy.” Cute. And a smart way to promote an exclusive case partnership that would have been very easy to miss otherwise.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!