Internet Radio via Logitech’s Squeezebox Boom
One of the product categories that we’ve been following with some interest—perhaps tepidly—is the dedicated Internet Radio and speaker system, essentially a standalone device capable of tuning and playing back audio broadcasts from around the world. We use the word “tepidly” because these devices aren’t strictly necessary if you already have a computer with speakers, and frankly suffer from tuning limitations that make the thousands of available Internet Radio stations a bunch of a challenge to navigate. However, if you want to hear Internet Radio in a room that’s not near a computer, you’ll probably want a standalone speaker system, and quite possibly a dedicated tuner.
Logitech has just released Squeezebox Boom, a $300 all-in-one device that wirelessly tunes in Internet Radio stations from a wide variety of sources, then plays them back through four speakers—twin 0.75” tweeters and twin 3” full-range drivers. It’s packed with a remote control and an audio cable for auxiliary input, plus a required power supply to keep the unit operating for audio and as a simple digital clock. While we’re still in the process of gathering up our opinions on the unit, we definitely like its simple, clean black styling, push-button central dial and nicely labeled front controls, and the way that stations have sounded as we’ve been testing them. We also sort of like how Logitech has tried to work around the single biggest issue we’ve seen with Internet Radios in the past—station tuning—by using settings saved on a separate server in the Internet’s “cloud” to help you cut through the chaff using your computer’s screen rather than Squeezebox Boom’s.
There are more pictures after the break. We’ll have opinions and additional thoughts to share soon, as well.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Larger iPad production delayed until later this year, USB 3.0 ports to be added?
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?