iPhone 4 Comparison Photos Show Camera in Good Light
We’ve just posted an interesting collection of comparison photos taken with the iPhone 4. Similar to the comparison videos we posted last night, in which we compared the device’s 720p video recording against that of a standalone, pocket-sized solution—in that case, the Flip Ultra HD—this time we’re pitting the iPhone 4 against Canon’s well-received PowerShot S90. And the results are… surprising. In a number of photos taken outdoors in good lighting, the iPhone 4 produced results that went toe-to-toe with the S90’s when viewed at 50% magnification. At 100%, the enhanced detail of the S90’s 10 Megapixel shots became obvious, but for smaller prints, and especially for web use, the two cameras were far closer than ever could have been expected, even in macro and depth of field abilities.
Notably, the iPhone 4’s camera displayed a tendency to slightly oversaturate colors compared to the Canon’s more level output; but it wasn’t a deal-breaker, and with greater access to the iPhone’s camera promised in iOS 4, it shouldn’t be long before apps offer fine-grained control over such exposure settings allowing more experienced photographers to overcome any limitations posed by Apple’s default image processing algorithms. See the shots for yourself in this Flickr set, featuring full-resolution images from both cameras.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?