iPhone 4 Comparison Photos Show Camera in Good Light
We’ve just posted an interesting collection of comparison photos taken with the iPhone 4. Similar to the comparison videos we posted last night, in which we compared the device’s 720p video recording against that of a standalone, pocket-sized solution—in that case, the Flip Ultra HD—this time we’re pitting the iPhone 4 against Canon’s well-received PowerShot S90. And the results are… surprising. In a number of photos taken outdoors in good lighting, the iPhone 4 produced results that went toe-to-toe with the S90’s when viewed at 50% magnification. At 100%, the enhanced detail of the S90’s 10 Megapixel shots became obvious, but for smaller prints, and especially for web use, the two cameras were far closer than ever could have been expected, even in macro and depth of field abilities.
Notably, the iPhone 4’s camera displayed a tendency to slightly oversaturate colors compared to the Canon’s more level output; but it wasn’t a deal-breaker, and with greater access to the iPhone’s camera promised in iOS 4, it shouldn’t be long before apps offer fine-grained control over such exposure settings allowing more experienced photographers to overcome any limitations posed by Apple’s default image processing algorithms. See the shots for yourself in this Flickr set, featuring full-resolution images from both cameras.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple Music coming to Sonos Dec. 15 through public beta program
- Apple to drop headphone jack from next iPhone?
- Amazon Instant Video app could hit Apple TV ‘within a few weeks’
- Some Apple Music and iTunes Match services may be illegal in the U.K.
- Australian banks accused of anti-competitive behavior over Apple Pay lockout
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Pro
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?