iPhone’s Got a Time Machine, Too?
Published: Wednesday, June 6, 2007
Leopard’s Time Machine running on iPhone (I kid, I kid)? Or just an odd choice of sample web pages to show off mobile Safari?
As the screenshot above shows, Apple’s latest ad for the iPhone—which is, incidentally, just as impressive as the other highly effective three that appeared on Sunday—focuses a lot on NYTimes.com. But not the NYTimes.com you can go visit today; rather, if you look carefully at the video, it’s the site as of October 2, 2006. That’s even older than the demo page shown during the January keynote (Jan. 9, 2007).
Why go with a version of the page that’s eight months old rather than something more recent? I’m guessing that it’s because that was a day on which a Nike+ ad was running on the main page, as shown in the video. It doesn’t seem to be related to the site’s interactive features or other recent layout changes; the ad even shows the site’s Flash-based video player, which iPhone now seems to be rendering properly during the demo. Sort of interesting.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: Apple testing 1.5” OLED displays for iWatch
- Song skipping terms slowing iRadio negotiations
- iLounge Weekly arriving Monday, giveaway reminder
- Report: BBM iOS app won’t support iPad at launch
- Report: iRadio might miss WWDC debut
- Fair Labor Assoc.: Foxconn, Apple still exceed work hours
- CW to bring content to Apple TV
- Moshi debuts aluminum USB Cable with Lightning Connector
- Cook talks Apple’s taxes ahead of Senate testimony
- iLuv intros Aud 5 Lightning speaker dock for iPhone 5
- BlueFlame 2M Charge and Sync Cable with Lightning Connector
- HMDX Jam Party Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Speaker
- Logitech Harmony Ultimate Universal Remote Control
- MyCharge Freedom 2000 Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Nike Nike+ FuelBand
- OCDesk OCDock for iPhone 5
- Bluelounge MiniDock (With Lightning Connector)
- Mophie Juice Pack Powerstation Pro
- PhoneSuit Flex Pocket Charger
- Olloclip Quick-Flip Case + Pro-Photo Adapter for iPhone 5
- Calendar info disappears after iCloud restore
- Remove old iCloud backup after restoring to a new iPhone
- Setting up a ringtone in iTunes
- Using a Wi-Fi hard drive with an iPad
- Backing up and restoring an iPod classic
- Can’t restore iPod touch without passcode
- Retaining older versions of Apps during an iOS Restore
- Can’t eject iPod nano without closing Firefox
- Can’t change iTunes Apple ID to iCloud e-mail address
- Effect of erasing an iPhone on the Find My iPhone feature