iPod Pricing: Will 2009 Be The $199 Year For iPod touch?
Published: Tuesday, September 8, 2009
A simple question for readers who follow iPod pricing details like we do: will this be the year when the iPod touch becomes a $199 device? Or will Apple maintain 2008 pricing while boosting storage capacities?
iLounge’s editors have been discussing two likely pricing scenarios for the iPod touch family in light of recent economic and competitive trends; they go something like this:
(A) Due in part to the September 15 release of Microsoft’s touchscreen Zune HD at $219 (16GB) and $289 (32GB) prices, and in part to global economic conditions, Apple decides to completely wreck its competitor’s latest launch by using pricing that will guarantee its strongest holiday quarter ever. The third-generation iPod touch is announced in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB capacities starting at $199, then graduating to $249 and $299. For the first time, a 128GB model is introduced at $349, putting the last nail in the coffin of the 120GB iPod classic, which is unceremoniously discontinued. The iPod nano drops to $99 and $149 prices, and the iPod shuffle drops to $49 or $59.
(B) Apple opts to preserve $229 to $399 pricing for the iPod touch, and releases three models: 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB. The company operates under the presumption that Microsoft’s Zune will remain essentially non-competitive regardless of any price advantage it maintains. iPod shuffle, nano, and classic models remain in their past configurations with feature tweaks at or near current pricing levels.
Which do you think is likely to happen? Or something else? We’d like to hear your thoughts in the lead-up to tomorrow’s Rock and Roll event in San Francisco.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Hitman GO
- Alleged next-gen iPad Air front panel leaked
- Apps: Baby Bundle, Breeze, Helpouts + iOOTP Baseball 2014
- Apple selling refurbished iPad mini with Retina display
- Yahoo aims to become default iOS Safari search engine
- Apple working with Shazam on iOS song discovery feature
- iWatch poll ends, first accessory poll begins
- Hyundai bringing CarPlay to 2015 Sonata
- Apple agrees to anti-theft smartphone measures
- 8GB iPhone 5c launches in more European countries
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air
- Rokform Fuzion+ for iPhone 5/5s
- Incipio Tek-nical for iPad Air
- Lepow ADD Power Bank
- Favi Swivel Screen Portfolio Case with Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad Air
- ChargerLeash Charge & Sync Smart Lightning Cable
- iWalk Sound Angle Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- iWalk Extreme 10,000 Duo Battery Pack
- Speck DuraFolio for iPad Air + iPad mini
- Hack Things Poppy 3D Camera for iPhone 4/4S/5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac