iPod touch 4G’s Battery Is Bigger, But Is It Better?
When Apple introduced the second-generation iPod touch in 2008, it promised 36 hours of run time when playing back audio and doing nothing else—a claim both it and its 2009 third-generation sequel surpassed by nearly four hours. They used 2.92 Watt-Hour batteries at 3.7 volts, or roughly 789mAh.
The fourth-generation iPod touch has just been revealed in photographs inside and out by the FCC, and surprise, there’s a 3.44 Watt-Hour battery in there at the same 3.7 Volts, or roughly 930mAh. This year, Apple’s promising 40 hours of audio run time, though the math would suggest the iPod touch battery should surpass that if everything else was being held equal—42 hours at a minimum for audio, 46 hours more likely.
Realistically, however, there are other factors that go into determining a battery’s life: the power drained by the new screen and cameras could be greater, the A4 chip might or might not be gulping more power than the prior iPod touch processors, and so on. We’ll have to see when the iPod touch arrives how it actually does in longevity testing. Earlier models have had wicked standby time—weeks if not longer—but really wore down quickly with certain processor-intensive games. FaceTime and video recording are even more demanding, typically. Expect some concrete numbers soon.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015