iPodspotting in Paris: who’s number one?
It started out as a game: we’d try to spot the white earbuds in crowded subways and on streets. But then we began to notice something. The ratios were different. It was more obvious on some days and at some times than others, but by Manhattan (circa two weeks ago) standards, the iPod seemed to be more closely matched by competitors in Paris than elsewhere in our travels.
That’s not to say that we haven’t spotted lots of iPods here. Dennis has counted thirty or forty a day without trying too hard. We’ve seen them on the Champs Elysses (above), La Defense, near the Eiffel Tower, the Sorbonne, and everywhere in between. But despite very conspicuous advertising here for the iPod nano, we’ve yet to see one in anyone’s hands. Why? A local FNAC store was selling a 4GB nano for more than the cost of a 20GB iPod (likely black and white, but hard to tell), and French prices for 4GB and 20GB color models are only 10 Euros different. Worse yet, a 2GB nano sells here for nearly $300 - the prices go up from there. Perhaps it’s not a surprise that we haven’t seen lots of color iPods on the streets here, either - mostly minis and older black-and-white models.
There’s another possible “why,” too. Stores here are stocked with competing options (see above), including myriad flash players from various companies, and hands-on displays are overflowing with different models to compare and consider. Put on display next to all of these options, the iPod shuffle really suffers, and it appears to translate directly into less street presence. We’ve noticed that quite a few people here wear flash devices around their necks, but we’ve seen zero iPod shuffles conspicuously worn. Again, prices might have something to do with it. A 512MB shuffle sells for over $130, while competing screened 512MB flash players here can be had for around $67. Which would you buy?
We’ve said it before, and will say it again: at the wrong (read: too high) prices, even the best technologies will fail to win the audiences they deserve. But from what we can see, it’s not too late to change that - if Apple really wants to increase the iPod’s international strength.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: iOS 9 will bring new security features, improve legacy device support
- Report: Apple’s push for local content may delay Apple’s TV service
- Adobe dropping Photoshop Touch in favor of more focused apps
- Report: Dual app viewing, multiple logins coming to iPad
- Transit coming to Apple Maps in iOS 9?
- Apple and IBM expand MobileFirst apps to Apple Watch
- Report: Pebble facing financial struggles?
- iOS 9 to include new Home app for HomeKit?
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Watch font to iOS 9
- Leak reveals Flow by Outlook, a Microsoft email messaging app for iPhone
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?