iPodspotting in Paris: who’s number one?
It started out as a game: we’d try to spot the white earbuds in crowded subways and on streets. But then we began to notice something. The ratios were different. It was more obvious on some days and at some times than others, but by Manhattan (circa two weeks ago) standards, the iPod seemed to be more closely matched by competitors in Paris than elsewhere in our travels.
That’s not to say that we haven’t spotted lots of iPods here. Dennis has counted thirty or forty a day without trying too hard. We’ve seen them on the Champs Elysses (above), La Defense, near the Eiffel Tower, the Sorbonne, and everywhere in between. But despite very conspicuous advertising here for the iPod nano, we’ve yet to see one in anyone’s hands. Why? A local FNAC store was selling a 4GB nano for more than the cost of a 20GB iPod (likely black and white, but hard to tell), and French prices for 4GB and 20GB color models are only 10 Euros different. Worse yet, a 2GB nano sells here for nearly $300 - the prices go up from there. Perhaps it’s not a surprise that we haven’t seen lots of color iPods on the streets here, either - mostly minis and older black-and-white models.
There’s another possible “why,” too. Stores here are stocked with competing options (see above), including myriad flash players from various companies, and hands-on displays are overflowing with different models to compare and consider. Put on display next to all of these options, the iPod shuffle really suffers, and it appears to translate directly into less street presence. We’ve noticed that quite a few people here wear flash devices around their necks, but we’ve seen zero iPod shuffles conspicuously worn. Again, prices might have something to do with it. A 512MB shuffle sells for over $130, while competing screened 512MB flash players here can be had for around $67. Which would you buy?
We’ve said it before, and will say it again: at the wrong (read: too high) prices, even the best technologies will fail to win the audiences they deserve. But from what we can see, it’s not too late to change that - if Apple really wants to increase the iPod’s international strength.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: Barclays to launch Apple Pay support in the UK early next year
- Apple reveals Beats Pill+ speaker
- Antitrust monitor: Apple is ‘its own worst enemy’
- Report: Apple holding $181.1 billion in offshore tax havens
- Apple releases fourth iOS 9.1 beta, third tvOS beta to developers
- Apple taking reservations for new iPhones in six European countries
- Apple adds transit directions for Boston, Sydney
- Apple acquires artificial intelligence firm Perceptio
- Apple rolls out app thinning in iOS 9.0.2
- Apple Pay transaction numbers still low overall
- Scosche boomBOTTLE+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Just Mobile Quattro Folio for iPhone 6s
- X-Doria Defense Lux for iPhone 6s/6
- Spigen Perfect Armor for iPhone 6s, Slim/Tough Armor for iPhone 6s Plus
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Speck CandyShell Clear and CandyShell Inked Jonathan Adler for iPhone 6/6s
- BenQ treVolo Bluetooth Portable Electrostatic Speaker
- iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- TrackR bravo
- Apple iPad mini 4 Silicone Case + Smart Cover
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?