Japan’s Simplism Arrives On U.S. Shores, With A Big Lineup
There aren’t many major iPod and iPhone accessory brands that haven’t brought—or tried to bring—their product lines to consumers in the United States. The launch of Japanese brand Simplism here enables us to cross one more name off the ever-shrinking list; the company has developed a dominant position on store shelves in Japan, as we noticed during our most recent visit there in November, and now it is bringing a massive collection of its products to American customers.
We’re going to be posting a bunch of First Looks shortly, but wanted to call out a couple of things that were noteworthy about the lineup as a whole. First, it’s unusual these days to see a company show up with a fully-formed family of quality products in matching, sharp packaging, ranging from cases to remote controls and simple electronics. For products that are made in China—a distinction from much of what has been developed and popularized by Japanese companies such as Power Support—Simplism’s lineup actually looks pretty nice.
There are little touches, such as polished metal against the leather cases, atypically clean tapering in the silicone cases, and Apple-inspired touches on one of the wall chargers (“Dual USB Charger Air”) that people will like. The company’s look is consistent at the very least, and at times, impressive.
On the flip side, the leather cases aren’t using the really expensive stuff, and some of the items have wonky seams, the goofy circular Apple logo cut-outs we dislike, or other imperfections. And there’s very little in the collection that we haven’t seen before in some similar form, with the exception of an iPod shuffle case and some of the design touches mentioned above. Some of the items will be of more interest and curiosity to iPod addicts, third-party designers, and our editors than to everyone else.
So why should this matter to the rest of our readers—or, at least those who check Backstage now and again? One reason: seeing an entire product lineup appear here at once was common in years past, but there wasn’t anything like that in the whole of 2009; releases slowed dramatically and companies were retrenching rather than growing. Simplism is making the sort of strong first impression over here that we haven’t seen from companies in a while, and we’re hoping that it’s the sign of better things to come from the rest of the iPod and iPhone world in 2010. It’s high time for the turnaround we’ve all been waiting for.
Updated: Here are a few of the more interesting items:
Simplism Remote Controller 3 Buttons for iPod
Simplism Nike + iPod Sensor Holder
Simplism Emergency Battery, Dual USB Charger Slide + Dual USB Charger Air
Simplism Cases for Fifth-Generation iPod nano
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- AT&T locks Apple SIM cards upon activation in iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- iTunes music sales down at least 13 percent worldwide
- iPad Air 2 includes NFC chip, but likely won’t be used (Updated)
- Apps of the Week: Inbox by Gmail, Pixelmator, NHL 2K + more
- iPad mini 3 unboxing and comparison gallery posted
- iPad Air 2 Control Center features separate mute and rotation buttons
- GT Advanced announces settlement with Apple
- iPad Air 2 ships with 10W power adapter
- Olloclip debuts 4-in-1 Photo Lens for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus
- iFixit posts iPad Air 2 teardown
- Speck MightyShell for iPhone 6
- Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor
- Just Mobile Xtand Go Z1
- PowerSkin Pop’n 2 for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- APC M5BK + M10BK 5000/10000mAh Mobile Power Packs
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller
- Hex Icon Wallet and Solo Wallet for iPhone 6
- SwitchEasy 0.35, LifePocket + Numbers for iPhone 6
- GE Link Connected LED Bulb + Wink Hub
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0