Just Mobile Lifts MacBook Pros - Again - With The Oddly-Named Lazy Couch
Once upon a time, we received something so incredibly ridiculous—an office supply store package of adhesive rubber dots, repackaged with an i-Prefix name and marketed as a way to scratch-proof an iPod’s back at a big price premium—that we couldn’t quite believe how low some companies would sink to make a buck. Just Mobile’s oddly-named new Lazy Couch ($20) accessory for MacBook Pro users is not that product, nowhere near that bad, and surely much nicer-looking, but the concept is basically the same: elevate the computer a little above a flat surface.
MacBook Pro computers now have black rubber pads built into their bottoms, but they’re all the same height, so they essentially sit flat on desks. Lazy Couch is billed as a “portable laptop stand” that is placed at the back of these laptops, lifting them on an angle for easier typing. You get two pieces that are each 0.75” tall and around 1.6” in diameter, half of the thickness coming from silver aluminum tubes and the other half from black rubber pads on either side, grooved such that the pieces can be pressed together for storage.
The concept is almost silly: does anyone really need to pay for such a thing? Yet Lazy Couch works as well to elevate the MacBook Pro as Just Mobile’s earlier Aluminum Cooling Bar, consumes less space, and sells for less, thanks mostly to a reduction in the amount of metal and an increase in black rubber. Plus, there’s something about Lazy Couch that just makes us keep jiggling its two halves around like a stress ball, pushing them together and pulling them apart absentmindedly. That “something” is probably their surprisingly substantial feel, due more to the aluminum than the padding.
Is this Just Mobile’s best accessory design? No. Best name? Far from it. Best idea? Naw. But as a minimalist stand with minimal functionality, it’s better than a pack of stick-on rubber dots, and looks a lot nicer with Apple’s metal MacBooks. Whether you’re willing to pay for it is another question altogether.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Cook ‘deeply offended’ by BBC allegations
- BBC investigative report claims Apple fails to protect Chinese workers
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Tim Cook announces $20M raised for (PRODUCT)RED in internal e-mail
- Apple announces 64-bit and iOS 8 requirements for app updates
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple halts online sales in Russia
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Apple Pay cards represent 90 percent of US credit purchase volume; Samsung readying rival service
- Apps of the Week: Microsoft’s MSN apps
- STM Dux for iPhone 6
- Kenu Stance Compact Tripod for iPhone
- SwitchEasy Boombox for iPhone 6
- STM Skinny Pro for iPad Air 2
- SwitchEasy Rave for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Wrap for iPhone 6 Plus
- Dog & Bone Wetsuit for iPhone 6
- Belkin Qode Ultimate + Ultimate Pro Keyboard Cases for iPad Air 2
- Evollve Ozobot
- Skech Crystal for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Hard Rubber + Ice for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPad Air 2
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0