Just Mobile Lifts MacBook Pros - Again - With The Oddly-Named Lazy Couch
Once upon a time, we received something so incredibly ridiculous—an office supply store package of adhesive rubber dots, repackaged with an i-Prefix name and marketed as a way to scratch-proof an iPod’s back at a big price premium—that we couldn’t quite believe how low some companies would sink to make a buck. Just Mobile’s oddly-named new Lazy Couch ($20) accessory for MacBook Pro users is not that product, nowhere near that bad, and surely much nicer-looking, but the concept is basically the same: elevate the computer a little above a flat surface.
MacBook Pro computers now have black rubber pads built into their bottoms, but they’re all the same height, so they essentially sit flat on desks. Lazy Couch is billed as a “portable laptop stand” that is placed at the back of these laptops, lifting them on an angle for easier typing. You get two pieces that are each 0.75” tall and around 1.6” in diameter, half of the thickness coming from silver aluminum tubes and the other half from black rubber pads on either side, grooved such that the pieces can be pressed together for storage.
The concept is almost silly: does anyone really need to pay for such a thing? Yet Lazy Couch works as well to elevate the MacBook Pro as Just Mobile’s earlier Aluminum Cooling Bar, consumes less space, and sells for less, thanks mostly to a reduction in the amount of metal and an increase in black rubber. Plus, there’s something about Lazy Couch that just makes us keep jiggling its two halves around like a stress ball, pushing them together and pulling them apart absentmindedly. That “something” is probably their surprisingly substantial feel, due more to the aluminum than the padding.
Is this Just Mobile’s best accessory design? No. Best name? Far from it. Best idea? Naw. But as a minimalist stand with minimal functionality, it’s better than a pack of stick-on rubber dots, and looks a lot nicer with Apple’s metal MacBooks. Whether you’re willing to pay for it is another question altogether.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?