Just Mobile Lifts MacBook Pros - Again - With The Oddly-Named Lazy Couch
Once upon a time, we received something so incredibly ridiculous—an office supply store package of adhesive rubber dots, repackaged with an i-Prefix name and marketed as a way to scratch-proof an iPod’s back at a big price premium—that we couldn’t quite believe how low some companies would sink to make a buck. Just Mobile’s oddly-named new Lazy Couch ($20) accessory for MacBook Pro users is not that product, nowhere near that bad, and surely much nicer-looking, but the concept is basically the same: elevate the computer a little above a flat surface.
MacBook Pro computers now have black rubber pads built into their bottoms, but they’re all the same height, so they essentially sit flat on desks. Lazy Couch is billed as a “portable laptop stand” that is placed at the back of these laptops, lifting them on an angle for easier typing. You get two pieces that are each 0.75” tall and around 1.6” in diameter, half of the thickness coming from silver aluminum tubes and the other half from black rubber pads on either side, grooved such that the pieces can be pressed together for storage.
The concept is almost silly: does anyone really need to pay for such a thing? Yet Lazy Couch works as well to elevate the MacBook Pro as Just Mobile’s earlier Aluminum Cooling Bar, consumes less space, and sells for less, thanks mostly to a reduction in the amount of metal and an increase in black rubber. Plus, there’s something about Lazy Couch that just makes us keep jiggling its two halves around like a stress ball, pushing them together and pulling them apart absentmindedly. That “something” is probably their surprisingly substantial feel, due more to the aluminum than the padding.
Is this Just Mobile’s best accessory design? No. Best name? Far from it. Best idea? Naw. But as a minimalist stand with minimal functionality, it’s better than a pack of stick-on rubber dots, and looks a lot nicer with Apple’s metal MacBooks. Whether you’re willing to pay for it is another question altogether.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Amazon Video app update lets Prime users download movies, TV shows for offline viewing
- Report: Apple considering move into original programming
- Malware steals 225,000+ Apple account logins from jailbroken iPhones
- Apple announces partnership with Cisco for iOS business users
- Report: New Apple TV to support Bluetooth gaming controllers
- Google releases iOS app that links some Android Wear watches to newer iPhones
- Apple to make Apple Camp program available year-round
- Apple hiring ex-Microsoft employee hints at augmented reality plans
- Judge limits further filings in patent case between Apple and Samsung
- Report: New Apple TV less than $200, arriving in October
- Odoyo KickStand Charging Dock for Apple Watch
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?