LaCie’s iamaKey: An Almost Completely Sensible Pocket Storage Solution
Some really smart ideas may seem entirely obvious after they’ve been done, but that doesn’t detract from the initial wisdom of the concept or the labor required to make it a reality. So when you see the pictures below of LaCie’s iamaKey, and think something like, “well, duh, those things were called USB keys,” sure, they were. You could even attach some of them to keychains or necklaces, toss them into gym key pockets, and so on. But LaCie’s gone and taken the next step: it has made a USB storage key that blends in with the rest of your keys and can be carried with them wherever they may go.
Actually, it has come up with three: iamaKey is the thin version shown here with an half-open USB connector, claimed to be highly scratch and water resistant. LaCie includes a clear and quite possibly losable protector for iamaKey’s pins, the only part of the design that we aren’t totally thrilled with; you pop it off, turn the key upside down, and plug it into any Mac or PC USB port for instant access to your files. Another version is itsaKey, a bigger key with a traditional USB connector, which means that it doesn’t require the clear protector, but also doesn’t look quite as key-like at the bottom. Both iamaKey and itsaKey come in 4GB or 8GB versions, with up to 30mb/sec read and 10mb/sec write rates. There’s also a third version, PassKey, which is nothing more than a microSD USB Card Reader, designed to turn a leftover or separately purchased microSD/SDHC card into a USB key. Thicker than the others, it includes a keyring. All were designed by 5.5 Designers, a French design firm that’s now officially on our radar.
What’s really interesting about these keys? They start at $10 in price for the PassKey, and will be available from LaCie’s web site on Monday. It’ll be interesting to see what you guys and gals think of this new storage idea, but we really like it, and the fact that LaCie keeps pushing the design envelope on drives. Updated: itsaKey goes for $15 or $24, and iamaKey for $18 or $28, depending on capacity.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Samsung creates exclusive team to build Apple screens
- Ikea reveals US prices for Wireless Charging Collection
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?