Last-Minute iPad 2 Buzz: Case Lock Feature, 2-4 Week Shipping?
Back in January, a new “PAD_CASE_LOCK” feature was discovered in the beta version of iOS 4.3, and explained as a way to “Automatically lock and unlock your iPad when you close and open the iPad cover.” Since the first-generation iPad doesn’t have any hardware that would enable this feature, we wondered whether the next iPad would gain a proximity sensor or some other trick (such as a near-field communication chip) to make it possible.
According to a well-informed source, hardware support for the feature is apparently coming in the new iPad, and it’s a little more interesting than initially expected. The next iPad’s casing will supposedly be capable of magnetically gripping the front flaps of folio-style cases. This could remove the need for unsightly overhanging tabs with snaps, magnets, or Velcro; a thin magnet could be placed inside the front flap to hold the case closed. As soon as the lid’s secured in the right position, or opened, the iPad could automatically lock and unlock itself.
Our source also corroborated what we’ve been hearing from several others over the past week: unless Apple has a huge surprise up its sleeve, or wants to report rapid sell-outs of very modest initial inventory, the next iPad should not ship for a minimum of two weeks, and more likely four. We’ll know for sure a few hours from now.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: Barclays to launch Apple Pay support in the UK early next year
- Apple reveals Beats Pill+ speaker
- Antitrust monitor: Apple is ‘its own worst enemy’
- Report: Apple holding $181.1 billion in offshore tax havens
- Apple releases fourth iOS 9.1 beta, third tvOS beta to developers
- Apple taking reservations for new iPhones in six European countries
- Apple adds transit directions for Boston, Sydney
- Apple acquires artificial intelligence firm Perceptio
- Apple rolls out app thinning in iOS 9.0.2
- Apple Pay transaction numbers still low overall
- Trident Case Aegis Pro Case for iPhone 6/6s
- Scosche boomBOTTLE+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Just Mobile Quattro Folio for iPhone 6s
- X-Doria Defense Lux for iPhone 6s/6
- Spigen Perfect Armor for iPhone 6s, Slim/Tough Armor for iPhone 6s Plus
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Speck CandyShell Clear and CandyShell Inked Jonathan Adler for iPhone 6/6s
- BenQ treVolo Bluetooth Portable Electrostatic Speaker
- iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- TrackR bravo
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?