Last-Minute iPad 2 Buzz: Case Lock Feature, 2-4 Week Shipping?
Published: Wednesday, March 2, 2011
Back in January, a new “PAD_CASE_LOCK” feature was discovered in the beta version of iOS 4.3, and explained as a way to “Automatically lock and unlock your iPad when you close and open the iPad cover.” Since the first-generation iPad doesn’t have any hardware that would enable this feature, we wondered whether the next iPad would gain a proximity sensor or some other trick (such as a near-field communication chip) to make it possible.
According to a well-informed source, hardware support for the feature is apparently coming in the new iPad, and it’s a little more interesting than initially expected. The next iPad’s casing will supposedly be capable of magnetically gripping the front flaps of folio-style cases. This could remove the need for unsightly overhanging tabs with snaps, magnets, or Velcro; a thin magnet could be placed inside the front flap to hold the case closed. As soon as the lid’s secured in the right position, or opened, the iPad could automatically lock and unlock itself.
Our source also corroborated what we’ve been hearing from several others over the past week: unless Apple has a huge surprise up its sleeve, or wants to report rapid sell-outs of very modest initial inventory, the next iPad should not ship for a minimum of two weeks, and more likely four. We’ll know for sure a few hours from now.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: Apple ‘tentatively’ plans mid-September iPhone event
- Apple faces class action suit in California for labor violations
- Apple, AT&T now sending $40 checks to some iPad 3G owners
- Apple denies iOS “back door” access in new report
- Notes from Apple’s Q3 2014 earnings call
- Apple Q3 2014: 35.2M iPhones, 13.3M iPads, 2.9M iPods, $37.4B revenue
- Simpsons World, FXNOW coming to Apple TV?
- WSJ: Apple asking suppliers to make 70-80M new iPhones this year
- Apple ‘iTime’ patent includes wristband sensors
- Tips app debuts in iOS 8 beta 4
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- JBL Synchros E50BT Over-Ear Headphones
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads