Last-Minute iPad 2 Buzz: Case Lock Feature, 2-4 Week Shipping?
Published: Wednesday, March 2, 2011
Back in January, a new “PAD_CASE_LOCK” feature was discovered in the beta version of iOS 4.3, and explained as a way to “Automatically lock and unlock your iPad when you close and open the iPad cover.” Since the first-generation iPad doesn’t have any hardware that would enable this feature, we wondered whether the next iPad would gain a proximity sensor or some other trick (such as a near-field communication chip) to make it possible.
According to a well-informed source, hardware support for the feature is apparently coming in the new iPad, and it’s a little more interesting than initially expected. The next iPad’s casing will supposedly be capable of magnetically gripping the front flaps of folio-style cases. This could remove the need for unsightly overhanging tabs with snaps, magnets, or Velcro; a thin magnet could be placed inside the front flap to hold the case closed. As soon as the lid’s secured in the right position, or opened, the iPad could automatically lock and unlock itself.
Our source also corroborated what we’ve been hearing from several others over the past week: unless Apple has a huge surprise up its sleeve, or wants to report rapid sell-outs of very modest initial inventory, the next iPad should not ship for a minimum of two weeks, and more likely four. We’ll know for sure a few hours from now.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: Forstall advising startups, involved in philanthropy
- Lightning developer leaves Apple, redesigns Square Reader
- China Mobile opens iPhone preorders on Dec. 12
- Apple, others call for govt. surveillance reform
- New apps aim to fix iOS 7 wallpaper issues
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, new giveaway
- Apple quietly releases 74% iOS 7 adoption estimate
- Razer iOS controller leaked
- U.S. Apple Stores now using iBeacon
- Apps: Assassin’s Creed Pirates, Doctor Who: Legacy, Double Dragon Trilogy + Foursquare 7.0
- Belkin APEX360 Advanced Protection Case for iPad mini
- STM Grip 2 for iPad Air
- CM4 Slite Card Case for iPhone 5c
- Newer Technology NuGuard KX for iPad Air + iPad mini
- The Joy Factory aXtion Bold for iPad Air
- OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPad Air + iPad mini with Retina display
- Tabu Lumen TL800 App Enabled LED Color Smart Bulb
- Wren V5BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Incipio offGRID Pro Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Whether to include specific apps in iCloud backups
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
- Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
- Resuming incomplete iCloud backups
- Adding multiple photos to a Shared Photo Stream
- Quality of videos sent via Messages
- Text messages being delivered to wrong iPhone
- Problems logging in to iTunes Store