Leaked Details On 2010-2011 iPods, iPhone 5, Bumper 2 + iPad mini | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Leaked Details On 2010-2011 iPods, iPhone 5, Bumper 2 + iPad mini

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, August 4, 2010
Backstage Categories:

Take this report with the requisite grains of salt, but here’s what we’ve heard about the upcoming late 2010/early 2011 iPod, iPhone, and iPad lineups from a highly reliable source. If you remember our exclusive first details on the iPad, iPod nano 4G and 5G, you’ll know that our sources’ accuracy level is very high but not perfect, which is about as good as can be expected given the nature of Apple-related leaks. (Except for ones posted by the always impressive John Gruber, who appears to be getting pre-release information directly from Apple.)

1. New iPods. Apple apparently has three new iPods ready to go as early as this month, or as late as September. One is the new iPod nano, one is the new iPod touch, and the third one is a question mark, but may be a small (1.7”) touchscreen replacement for the iPod shuffle. There’s also continued chatter about a three-inch touchscreen that could make its way into an iPod, shaving half an inch off the diagonal of the current iPod touch.

2. New iPad. A seven-inch-screened version of the iPad is substantially finished and will be ready for announcement either later this year or early in 2011. Apple has been prototyping devices with screens of this size for a long time—quite possibly predating the original iPhone.

3. New iPhone. According to our source—and we have to say that we find this part hard to believe—Apple is pushing up the release date of the fifth-generation iPhone to early 2011 (as soon as January) because of the antenna issues with the iPhone 4. It’s unknown whether this will be a repackaging of iPhone 4 components in a different shell or something more substantial. We reiterate: it’s hard to believe. But as with so many seemingly far-fetched early reports, it’s not impossible.

4. iPhone 4 Bumpers, Generations 0 and 2. To reduce the cost of the current iPhone 4 Case Program, the company is currently working on a less expensive all-silicone version of the Bumper to give away after September. Our source says that the original, unreleased version of Bumper had more hard plastic than the final version, and claims that Apple was considering giving Bumpers away with every iPhone 4 before deciding to take its chances with the bare device. The question is whether the Bumpers were originally intended for glass protection or antenna coverage, and why Apple developed them in the first place.

The comments section below is ready for your speculation and inevitable debates. For giggles, go back and take a look at the comments on the iPad, iPod nano 4G and 5G to see what people said before they were announced.

« Update on Apple’s Magic Trackpad: Battery Life + As A Mouse Replacement

Apple’s Magical + Revolutionary, Uh, Battery Charger Unboxed »

Comments

Talk about your daily recommended allowance of salt!

Regarding this most recent set of rumors:

1. New iPods: I wonder if this year will mark the final one for the classic, since the touch and nano get most of the attention these days. I haven’t heard much about the success (or lack thereof) of the third-generation shuffle. I wasn’t much of a fan of the third one and will be curious to see if Apple makes any changes. Another question will be whether the new touch will take any design cues from the iPhone 4.

2. New iPad: I’ve found the iPad’s 9.7” screen a wonderful form fact, except when it comes to reading books. In this particular aspect, it feels more unwieldy and I’d rather have something lighter and smaller, like the Kindle or Nook. I wonder if a 7” iPad will signal a differentiation of the iPad line not unlike how one can purchase a 13”, 15”, or 17” Macbook Pro. I still adore the 9.7” for most things and am hoping the second-generation version comes with a memory bump to 128GB.

3. iPhone 5: A release in January seems highly doubtful and I think it would be a tacit admission by Apple of iPhone 4’s design shortcomings. I don’t think Apple wants to get into the business of cranking out new phones every few months like Motorola, though a January announcement could be an end to AT&T exclusivity and the introduction of a CDMA-only or CDMA/GSM version of the unit.

4. Bumpers: Apple does really well with designing hardware, but when it comes to creating accessories for its devices like the iPhone or iPod, they seem to fall flat. The bumpers are just the latest example. Frankly, I’m more worried about the glass on the front and back being scratched and damaged. Almost any case should alleviate the antenna issue and I’ve never liked Apple’s bumpers.

Posted by cxc273 on August 4, 2010 at 8:31 AM (PDT)

A new AT&T iPhone every July.
A new Verizon iPhone every Jan.

Spaced-out perfectly.

Posted by Donna D on August 4, 2010 at 8:32 AM (PDT)

A 7in iPad would be perfect for my needs.  Books reading and more portable than the current 9.7in.  I wonder if it will help the price much…..doubtful.

Posted by freddy on August 4, 2010 at 8:45 AM (PDT)

iPhone 5… the only thing I think on this is that either AT&T or ‘another’ has committed to major LTE capabilities early in 2011.  Delivering an ecumenical Jesus phone would be the only driver.

ipods… why make the screen smaller… to fit a front facing camera;-)

Getting near ‘retina display’ on a 7” iPad would be way cool, along with a front/back facing camera… facetime plus ebooks all in the size of a smaller folio.  3”,7”,9”, then MacAir, then Macbook, then MBP.  “The Circle is now Complete”

Posted by TheOtherGeoff on August 4, 2010 at 9:00 AM (PDT)

1. New iPods - Yes, and in time for the Christmas shopping. I expect new form factors for the new nano and touch, the later probably looking more like the iPhone 4, with camera(s). And yes, sadly, I think there will be no more Classic, end of the line there.

2. I welcome a smaller 7” iPad. But I personally am not in the idea of diversifying too much in a product line. Unlike the MacBook family, it may not be necessary to have a smaller iPad.  Maybe this is the iPad 2, with camera too for FaceTime.

3. New iPhone? Unlikely. Jobs had already presented, the antenna issue only occurs in a very small percentage of users, and I’ve not heard of any antenna issues in other countries, even my own in Singapore, maybe because our signal coverage from 3 telcos are so dense.

Maybe a version 2 of the iPhone 4?  Perhaps Apple will slightly modify the phone, like applying an internal coating or something to insulate the metal antenna part?

Posted by H W Tan on August 4, 2010 at 9:37 AM (PDT)

Posted by Matt M on August 4, 2010 at 10:02 AM (PDT)

I don’t see them segmenting the iPad market either, nor releasing an iphone 5 this early. What would make sense though is for us to smash those two rumours together and peg them at releasing an iPhone 4xl with a processor, graphics, and cam boost to capture the market the new large android phones like the HTC 4G are beginning to exploit with a somewhat more tech head oriented feature set, perhaps an hdmi port as well.

But this is all just me talking out of my nonsense hole.

Posted by Mohamed on August 4, 2010 at 11:38 AM (PDT)

1) New iPods, no surprise. Happens every September. A tiny touch screen becomes unusable at a point. No change on the Touch. I can only pray that Apple finally does the right thing and says, “Here’s a 320 GB iPod Classic. If your library can’t fit on here, sorry, this is as good as it will get.”

2) Remember the original iPhone release? They changed the price 6 months in, but waited until the full year cycle to change the design. Apple may drop the price, but there won’t be new features until March/April 2011.

3) I’d guess there is a very small chance that a new iPhone is released, mostly because the next iPhone will have 4G and none of the major networks will be ready for LTE until months after. Changes, in terms of odds it will happen: 1) T-Mobile picks up iPhone 4, 2) Apple makes a CMDA iPhone 4 to release on Verizon, 3) Apple releases a “new” iPhone 4 that has some sort of coating on the metal strip to “fix” the antenna issues.

4) The cheaper the better. Gooooooo, AAPL stock!

Also important to remember: Apple almost never “one-ups” a yearly cycle event with a different product update. September is iPod/iTouch month, and Apple will probably work pretty hard to keep it that way.

Posted by Dave on August 4, 2010 at 11:46 AM (PDT)

A 3 inch square screen was leaked not too long ago which might be a new apple iWatch or something..

Posted by lori4000 on August 4, 2010 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

Well, I guess we’ll have to wait for someone to leave one of them in a bar somewhere….

Posted by JonnyOneNote on August 4, 2010 at 12:26 PM (PDT)

If the smaller iPad doesn’t fit in a pocket then it’s no more portable than the current one.

A larger iPod touch, on the other hand, would fit in a pocket and with 3G and an iPad data plan would be a fantastic go-anywhere device.

The shuffle may be re-designed again, the nano should get more storage (last year it got a camera instead), and the touch will finally get a camera but just the low quality front facing one from the iPhone. This year the high end touch will move to 128GB allowing the Classic to be discontinued.

No new iPhone until next spring.

Posted by Bregalad on August 4, 2010 at 12:39 PM (PDT)

The iPhone 4 antenna issue is FUD. It was revenge by Gizmodo on Apple for the stolen iPhone. It was propagated by tech blogs and other phone manufacturers and closed carriers who can’t run iPhone. If you ask users, like the ChangeWave survey published today, the antenna works better than previous iPhones. If you ask iPhone carriers, who jaw actually tested iPhone, it works better than 3GS. So if you’re expecting a new iPhone for tat, you will be disappointed.

A better way to make a 7-inch iPad mockup is do not scale the iPad, rather chop out a vertical segment and horizontal segment, so you reduce the screen size but not the bezel and button.

It can’t be fixed by a new iPhone.

Posted by Hamranhansenhansen on August 4, 2010 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

I think that a new iPhone is possible but not in the way its suggested here. What will be “new” about it is that it will run on Verizon’s CDMA network. The antenna issue is slowly going away and in any case seems to be a bigger deal in the US than here in Europe and elsewhere.

I find it very easy to believe that the iPad will eventually be a family of sizes but there is a limit to how small you can make the screen and still use more sophisticated apps like Pages, Numbers, OmniFocus and so on. Whether it turns out to be 7.5 inches or slightly smaller will depend on usability. I think there may also be a larger iPad down the road as Apple develops processors which can handle ever more sophisticated software. The iPad of today will not be the iPad of 4 years from now.

The iPod Touch is tricky, slightly too small for running the more sophisticated software (in terms of finger taps in a complex UI) and no longer really an iPod. September is iPod refresh month so we’ll know a bit more then. And of course there will soon be an Apple TV refresh, an iTunes in the cloud refresh, a MobileMe refresh, and a data centre that is very large even by Google’s mamoth standards.

Posted by relentlessFocus on August 4, 2010 at 12:50 PM (PDT)

A new Ipod touch with the A4 processor and 801.11n is a good bet as does a rear facing camera Price point $275.

A new suffle with a tiny screen, $99 would stimulate demand, the last shuffle was flawed with no controls and slaving users to the buds, unless paying for a adapter.

A smaller I pad, a smart move only for the form factor.

A new I-phone not anytime soon, Apple ego is the problem by admiting it introduced a flawed product. The only exception to a I-phone 5 is if this is with the introduction of a Verizon model

Posted by geek on August 4, 2010 at 2:42 PM (PDT)

Verizon’s Ivan Seidenberg will be the keynote speaker at CES 2011 in January and people are expecting him to announce “something big” which I don’t think would be the announcement of another Android phone. We’ll see if Verizon and Apple are interested in making a lot more money for themselves.

Posted by Teddy on August 4, 2010 at 3:32 PM (PDT)

I think its time for iphone mini to surface

Posted by Boing on August 4, 2010 at 4:23 PM (PDT)

After comparing the size and weight between my iPad and a friend’s Kindle, I could definitely foresee Apple creating either a smaller iPad or dedicated ebook reader. Plus, the more ‘usable’ devices they put out there, the better business will be for the iBookstore and publishers who have signed on. IMO, the iPad is a tad too heavy and the iPhone (at least the 3G) is too slow and the screen too small to enjoy my ebooks. However, I would be surprised to see an iPad-mini update so soon.

A September announcement for a January CDMA iPhone doesn’t sound too far-fetched, I just hope it’s not carrier-locked again.

If the Shuffle gets a screen, I predict it will mean curtains for the Nano. The price points aren’t that different, plus every Nano-toting person whom I’ve talked to in the past year or so has eventually made the same comment - “I wish I had bought the iTouch”.

Posted by Paul on August 4, 2010 at 4:46 PM (PDT)

First post here!

I’ve thought for a while that an iPhone mini would be an interesting product.  It might seem like a bit of a step backwards, but if they released an iPhone with no required data plan they might be popular.

The iPhone 4 is slim, but a phone the size of an iPod Nano?

Posted by Andrew B on August 4, 2010 at 5:41 PM (PDT)

It’s been said already but I’ll say it again. If the “new iPhone” rumor turns out to be true, then it will probably be the same iPhone 4 we’ve got now but with some hardware changes made internally so as to be able to run on another phone network such as Vetizon or T-Mobile. That probably would make the most sense judging by all the speculative info we currently have.

Posted by Fjord Prefect on August 4, 2010 at 8:49 PM (PDT)

My Dad and I both agree that there should be a larger iPad in production. He said he would purchase it the minute it came out.

Posted by Sam on August 4, 2010 at 8:51 PM (PDT)

Unlike the US the iPhone is sopported by the 5 or so network carriers here in australia, not locked to just the one so there should be no need to release a new phone to unlock from AT&T.

Posted by Glen on August 5, 2010 at 3:35 AM (PDT)

@Bregalad. 50% of people put iPads in a handbag, not in a pocket, and a 7” screen might help them.

Posted by Pete Austin on August 5, 2010 at 4:58 AM (PDT)

A larger iPad? Hmmm, could that be called the MaxiPad? Naaah.

Posted by Frazzle on August 5, 2010 at 6:38 AM (PDT)

Quote from Matt M:
“Remember the line from the WWDC keynote - “There will be 10’s of millions of FaceTime devices this year”.

Assuming they aren’t planning to sell that many iPhone4’s then some of those iPods have front facing cameras and/or we can expect a new iPad with a front facing camera well before year end.”

I am also expecting face-time for the iTouch, but in you’re opinion, Apple aren’t planning to sell 10m iPhones, well look at the pre-order list for the US for example: 600’000 iPhones pre-ordered, now more than 1m people in the us have an iPhone. Canada starts selling unlocked iPhones tomorrow which will attract many people. Correct me if I’m wrong but, there will (by almost 100% chance) be 10m iPhone 4’s sold this year, especially as many people would buy them for christmas for their children (a bit older children like 12+)

My beliefs and hopes:
1. There WILL be a new iTouch and it will have face-time and hopefully bigger storage, cause otherwise there would be no need of making a new one.

2. iPad mini is probably true, even though I would like to see iPad XL coming soon also =)

3. Of course there wont be iPhone 5, at it’s best iPhone 4 v2, and many people who already have iPhone 4 will upgrade to this one for a ridiculous amount of money and then say: “Look at this, it’s the new iPhone 4 v2, it’s like iPhone 4 but without antenna issues which anyways only subside for AT&T in the US!”

4. New ipod shuffle; nah, don’t know cause that would make it almost like the nano. Shuffle was made for being small and easy, so it will remain (or not)

5: same as first post, apple are not that good at accessories, and practically any case works so it’s not worth it.

Any response is welcome =)

Posted by Joel S on August 5, 2010 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

Unpossible with the iPod shuffle - Apple wants to keep it as small and as easy as possible… Not an untouchable 1.7 inch touch screen… Useless.

Posted by TutorialPoint on August 5, 2010 at 1:50 PM (PDT)

I’d be sad to see the Classic disappear. For me, it works perfectly. I like having a very large sample of my library and podcasts with me all the time for travel, and nothing else in the iPod lineup does that trick.I use a Nano for running and the gym. Now, a 320Gb Classic would be interesting!

Posted by Leotian on August 5, 2010 at 1:52 PM (PDT)

I wouldn’t be surprised by a smaller iPad, but I’m not sure it makes sense without Retina Display resolution (or a screen shrink without resolution loss).  A size that is a whole lot more portable is too small and much less useful.

As a current iPad user and lover, I’d actually like to see it bigger, with the higher resolution display, to better show newspapers & magazines without overly tiny and somewhat blurry type.  I think the ideal screen size is the same as Vanity Fair—10.6 x 8”.  At the same time, more CPU & RAM, please.  Normal (ie, non iPhone/Mobile) web sites heavy on JavaScript (ie, Facebook) or with a lot of graphic objects lag on iPad now; a 40% CPU boost would be welcome and double or triple RAM would enable tabbed browsing, reasonable multitasking when iOS4 hits the iPad.

A smaller Touch makes no sense unless Apple is trying to keep it from being a VoIP replacement for iPhones.  There’s enough VoIP apps that I’m sure many are tempted to do a Wifi touch w/VoIP and not buy an iPhone.  Keeping the screen more iPod-sized might deter this, but the manufacturing complexity and loss of economies of scale don’t seem to make it worthwhile.

An Iphone 4.1 makes sense and I can see Apple offering it with a “fixed” antenna and a discount to current 4.0 owners, the smart play is doing it as a trade-in and then re-manufacturing 4.0s into 4.1s with better parts.  I doubt we’ll see the usual annual upgrade sooner than annually.

Posted by Shawn B. on August 5, 2010 at 2:04 PM (PDT)

1. I think that Apple is heading towards a divided iPod family. Keeping the old iPods (or at least the touch) as the base model/price, and then having an iPod Touch Pro of some sort, since I doubt adding cameras, retina display, and or A4 processor would raise the price. I doubt Apple would raise the base model price after lowering it this low.
2. The iPad could also be headed down this road, with the current model dropping in price while the new model with cameras higher resolution display and whatever else Apple packs in there being marketed as the iPad Pro
3. Honestly, as much as I’d love the iPhone to be brought to Verizon (the only reason it would be released in January) I doubt that will happen. It would be good both for Verizon and Apple, and it would also probably dampen sales of Android based phones, since many people loyal to Verizon purchased Android Phones as an iPhone alternative. I certainly wouldn’t be complaining if it did happen this january, but I’m not expecting it either

Posted by Erik on August 5, 2010 at 3:30 PM (PDT)

Verizon iPhone in Jan? Not posible until the new Foxconn factory is operational. Apple can’t make enough iPhone 4s to cover demand as it is.

Posted by RonS on August 5, 2010 at 5:09 PM (PDT)

However they do it, I hope Apple keeps a 160GB, or higher, iPod, even if it’s not a “Classic”; I want the size. Apple made me quite nervous when they dropped the size down to 120GB in 2008 (they went up to 160GB again in 2009—big relief). A 320GB Classic with Bluetooth would be great; they could add whatever else they want, but these two features would be my picks. My (2007)160GB Classic has served me well for 3 years and I could be persuaded to upgrade if I see the right mix of goodies.

Posted by MelM on August 5, 2010 at 6:20 PM (PDT)

I would like to see an iPad 2 with cameras, same as the iPhone 4 as well as a 1280x960 resolution screen.

It would then be wide enough for playing 720p HD video (1280x720p), and keep the 4:3 ratio for all the apps.  The 1280x960 on a 9.7 inch display would give a 165 ppi pixel density (just a tad higher than 163 ppi for the iPhone 2g, 3g, and 3gs).  165 ppi is plenty dense for a 9.7 inch display, (remember National Geographic magazine photos were only around 130 dpi - I had trouble verifying this, but I think it’s fairly accurate)

To give an idea of the high resolution - 1280x960 is exactly FOUR TIMES DVD resolution (720x480, though the output is slimmed or stretched to fit 4:3 or 16:9)

Posted by Tom on August 5, 2010 at 8:16 PM (PDT)

@RonS on August 5, 2010 at 5:09 PM (PDT)

There was a rumor that Pegatron, not Foxconn, would begin producing CMDA/LTE iPhones for use on Verizon’s network beginning in September. That would make a January 2011 release very possible, if the rumor is true. In addition to that, Verizon is expected to announce/release the first 4g phones in January.

Posted by Teddy on August 5, 2010 at 9:12 PM (PDT)

Hi ilounge and AppleFans,

After reading all the comments posted i thought i’ll give my opinion raspberry

I also don’t think that Apple will release a new Iphone 4s or Iphone 5 or idk how they would name it. the reason why I don’t think they will release a new phone is the fact that by releasing a new version of the Iphone4 they would admint that the current Iphone is a flop and imagine all the current iphone 4 buyers know that they fixed all the issue that they have!
I can imagine they will announce the new iphone i jan/Feb with 4g capacity! why release a new Iphone 4 if it works fine (worked fine for me when i tried it)..

to The Ipad i currently don’t have one but I m seriously thinking about buying one. only have to wait untill my banker gives me the OK ^^...
I don’t that the screen will be bigger becaus of all the Apps that had to be redone because of the screen resolution imagine all the apps upadting AGAIN becaus they released a bigger screen, i know it’s small think but idk i can’t imagine a bigger Ipad (even if it would be cool raspberry) BUT WHAT i want and it’s actually the only think i’m missing on the Ipad is a faceTime cam… that would be the best think ever and even I would be camping infront of the Apple Store to get this think… smaller screen would be a good think for a lot of people i guess not for me id still go and get the Ipad with the bigger screen but i guess the industry/companys could use a smaller and lighter Ipad.

I d say a IPAD with FaceTime and a Ipod Touche with more space will be released AMEN (these are actually more my wishes can imagine that apple will release that ^^)

Posted by Max on August 6, 2010 at 1:05 AM (PDT)

I’m surprised there’s no speculation of a nano with a smaller touchscreen and no wheel. The interface could be like the ipod app on the iphone/ipod touch but tweaked for a smaller screen.

Posted by Norm on August 7, 2010 at 5:58 AM (PDT)

I hope and pray that IPhone will never be in Verizon hands with their ridiculous plans and prices!!!And by the way CDMA technology which Verizon use it’s old and bad technology.Whoever and whatever said about this company—-VERIZON SUCKS

Posted by Aragami on August 7, 2010 at 9:16 AM (PDT)

I was thinking about buying a refurbed iTouch 3rd gen earlier today, but then remembered it was August, and they would be updating in a month or two. So I’m gonna wait and see, and I hope it’s same price, but better guts. Maybe they put e-Spinach in him so he’s got at least 16gb smile

Jason

Posted by Jason on August 7, 2010 at 9:55 PM (PDT)

According to an article posted on TechCrunch today, Apple purchased components from Qualcomm for the 1st time. The dominant supplier of CDMA chipsets is Qualcomm so…

Well, until we see them on display at the Verizon store, it’s just another rumor.

Posted by Teddy on August 8, 2010 at 5:33 PM (PDT)

@ Aragami:  Even if you hate Verizon, them getting an iPhone would only benefit AT&T customers as well as Verizon ones.  I’ve heard things about AT&T’s service which I find pretty ridiculous, to the point that I’d wonder why anyone would put up with them just to have an iPhone.  But you can bet that as sonn as AT&T’s no longer the sole service provider for iPhone, policies will change pretty quick.

Posted by Geof on August 8, 2010 at 6:05 PM (PDT)

I hope they are working on a Nike+ for cycling.

Posted by Andrew on August 8, 2010 at 6:17 PM (PDT)

Ipads I heard will be designed on the same line as current iPhone 4 models with the glass on both sides as for what’s inside dunno. iPhone 4’s are getting some sort of facelift don’t think it is coming in form of an iPhone 5 but similar to the 3GS model, maybe 4GS. But most definitely it will come before the usual July announcements think we may only here then about the updated ipads. January is a “no-later” then date we might see it sooner then later. Not speculation.

Posted by Rumor mill on August 9, 2010 at 1:05 AM (PDT)

Smaller iPad? To try to knock any chance of RIM successfully releasing the BlackPadBerryCobalt?......

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on August 9, 2010 at 1:29 AM (PDT)

Hmmmmm. iPad was released a few months ago….this fall will be the software upgrade (according to Apple) Why not make a camera? Why not put the new Gyroscope in the iPad and iTouch. I can see the Shuffle playing it’s last song this year..the Classic started it all, why don’t they refresh it? I can see the Classic’s days are numbered….I don’t think they will get rid of it this year…maybe next year… I don’t see a new iPhone coming towards us…Like people say, Apple will probably change some hardware, maybe put the antenna in a different place so Microsoft Fanboys won’t ##### about it…(that gets very annoying) And, there will be another iPod Touch. (Of course) A4 Chip here we come. Camera = more than likely. Apple will come up with something we didn’t even think about…Can’t wait to see the new iPod Nano, it seems like the iTouch is taking its spot..Apple is trying to give away as many iPod Touch’s it can with doing that “Buy a Mac Get a free iPod Touch” thing…They are getting ready for the new products…oh, how I love Apple….lol

Posted by David on August 9, 2010 at 10:59 AM (PDT)

All of this speculation is ridiculous. By introducing a remake of the iphone 4 so close to the initial release, they would admit defeat—and people would be knocking down doors in cupertino.

It’s EXTREMELY UNLIKELY that the ipad will get a 7 inch screen. They could reduce the size of the device—the bezel. They could add a camera and better network support. Why is nobody talking about the fact that they could just as easily come out with a Verizon Ipad? Those chips could end up in multiple devices. I they were to reduce the size of the screen on the ipad, and reduce the size of the screen on the ipod touch, this would create the exact type of fragmentation that android has been battling.

Developers had only just begun to ride the ipad wave before the iphone 4 required them to update—and in many cases rebuild the UI from the ground up.

If they did indeed come out with a new iphone or a verizon one before wwdc next year, they will have pissed off and abandoned every customer that was locked in to their contract. They can’t leave ATT shipwrecked with the iphone 4 in the state it is. I suspect no release til next year @ wwdc.

In the end, i suspect facetime support on the touch in addition to better battery life and an a4.

In the ipad realm, they’ve committed to the screen size. They can adjust the form factor, but the 9.7 inches is here to say. They may double the resolution. Facetime for the ipad is a must. But once again, apple depends on their developers. And they can’t hang em out to dry by abandoning the ipad platform that they just created. They’ll also increase the size, add better peripheral support, better networking capabilities, and include a major software update.

I wont waste my time with the square screen. Thats just about the most ridiculous thing i’ve ever heard.

Posted by James on August 10, 2010 at 4:22 AM (PDT)

I’d love to see an iPod Touch with a 4.3 inch screen. Perfect for watching video on the go with a form factor small enough to fit in a pocket. Make that 128GB with the Classic going to 323GB or more and you’ll have compelling offerings for a lot of people.

Posted by brian on August 10, 2010 at 5:15 PM (PDT)

I agree with most of the stuff that’s written in here accept one: iPod Shuffle with a touch screen! People are forgetting the purpose of the iPod Shuffle: it’s to enable people listen to their music and control it without the need to look at the screen, so you could just clip your iPod Shuffle to your shirt or something, and would have the need to touch it (accept, of course when you want to turn the auto-repeat on, shuffle on, or turn the iPod off…)

Posted by Ignas Kuliesius on August 12, 2010 at 3:15 PM (PDT)

According to a new rumor today, the Verizon iPhone coming in January will be called iPhone 5 or iPhone V. It will feature a faster 1.2GHz processor and slightly larger 3.7 inch display. If that’s true, I can imagine some iPhone 4 owners will be pissed.

Posted by Teddy on August 14, 2010 at 5:19 PM (PDT)

I have not heard much speculation about the nano. I think it is entirely possible that we see 2.8 inch touch screen nano, same resolution as current iPod but a still sharper looking display, and that aforementioned small touch screen shuffle. The new nano would open an even larger market for iOS Apps.

I also think it is likely that Apple we sell a snap-on camera accessory for the current iPad, which will allow the use of FaceTime.

Posted by Curent Interest on August 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM (PDT)

I love apples stuff but I wont be buying an iPad unless they can find a way of putting a USB socket or SD card slot on it. I travel a lot and wouldnt want to carry around my laptop and an iPad, to be able to plug a portable hard drive or add extra memory with an SD card into it would be great to watch all my video content. Until the iPad has this facility I’ll stick with my laptop!!

Posted by Chris Prosser on August 15, 2010 at 12:54 AM (PDT)

DoeS anyone not think that the nano will get a new form factor maybe and have a 3 inch touchscreen which appple has ordered for some device. Im betting on a new ipod nano touch with 3 inch touchscreen , maybe running ios4, the video camera, maybe wifi and games.

Posted by ustin on August 21, 2010 at 9:02 AM (PDT)

why isn’t the ipod touch a 3 inch ipad?

Posted by m on August 24, 2010 at 10:24 PM (PDT)

When you guys bring up all this stuff, make sure to consider that what apple does is make things better and adding new things without canceling out an idea they already thought of.
For example if they add a camera to the ipad and/or the ipod touch, what makes them different from the iphone? i mean wow i would sell my iphone and get one of those.
like i once thought of a thicker ipad with usb and dvd drive, then i thought whats the difference between a laptop and that.

and now for my ideas for the next ipad is first i want to print stuff!!!
and this might be a little out there but popular science just advertised for a nintendo 3Ds so if they could make a 3D ipad before i die that would be great. and the thing with the 3Ds is that you don’t need glasses. if you don’t believe me then look it up but the technology is here and possible.

Posted by DonutWill on August 30, 2010 at 9:50 PM (PDT)

I can’t wait this update wink

Posted by Jauhari on September 1, 2010 at 4:21 AM (PDT)

1- they won’t release a new iPhone until next summer, however they may release some more software updates
2- I think what makes sense for them to do is to take the iPod touch, the iPad and put something in between (size-wise, like 6 inches) upgrade the hardware a bit- more storage, better cams, display, processor, battery life, etc. and group them together calling them the iTouch, in three sizes. They may wait until third generation iPad to do it, but i think they would get a benefit from doing this.
3- iPods
iPod shuffle; I’m glad they returned it to the one with the big buttons, the other one was ridiculous
iPod nano; its great they added multitouch but they really shouldn’t have sacrificed video playback for multitouch. the video camera wasn’t a huge loss.
iPod classic; i don’t think they will improve this much if at all but i think you should be able to delete stuff on the iPod classic and organize it better. maybe they’ll give it a 1 or 2tb storage as those sdxc cards are coming out.
4- a new cheaper bumper is probably the solution for the antenna problem until the iPhone 5.

Posted by the man on September 1, 2010 at 7:29 PM (PDT)

Iphone 5 - IT WILL HAPPEN SOONER, especially if sales go south. ip4 is a massive problem for apple, they know it, we all know it. The only reason its partially selling is because of the other updated features. I’m a big apple fan, and i have to say i’m extremely disappointed, and won’t be buying a new iphone, until they fix the antenna issue.

Posted by james on September 1, 2010 at 11:57 PM (PDT)

Did greed or easy get in the way customer satisfaction?  The 4th Generation iPod Touch - all of that potential for user created content not to mention what resides in the store - and here we are stuck with 64GB. No new iPod Touch this year.

Posted by chamja on September 2, 2010 at 8:51 AM (PDT)

The one thing we all keep forgetting is the iPhone has already been developed for CDMA carriers.  The whole idea of Apple “releasing” something they already sell in Europe just goes to show how much we can be bs’ed with marketing.

I’ve held and used iPhone that friends have purchased overseas and signed on to Verizon.  Verizon has publicly stated they have something over (do NOT quote me on this) 500,000?? iPhones running on there network.

So why should we wait?  Go to ebay and buy one!

Posted by FCP Creative 2010 on September 3, 2010 at 2:20 PM (PDT)

whats the difference between the new ipod touch and the iphone 4G, (other than the phone feature) ??

Posted by sara on September 4, 2010 at 4:37 PM (PDT)

a 7 inch ipad would be ideal. because the itouch is too small for movies and web pages but the ipad is a little too big for a music player and some games. if a mini ipad doesn’t show up by early next year then i wont be able to wait any longer and probably will just get a ipad instead. What they should do is make the itouch 7 inches and the nano 3.5 inches and the shuffle as the 6th gen nano.

Posted by joe on September 6, 2010 at 6:10 PM (PDT)

Well now the ipod’s are TOTALLY NEW…. the nano is really small and has a touchscreen, shuffle has buttons, and touch has camera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and verizon told me their getting a HUGE HUGE HUGE shipment of iphone 4’s and 5’S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But they wont release iphone 5 to public till like the release date = ] which is around january!!!!!!!! CANT WAIT AT ALL!

Posted by Natasha on September 9, 2010 at 5:30 PM (PDT)

I’ve expected mini iphone for a year since I did’t think all features of iphone are what I needed.  So Apple might have seen a chance of making a new gadget for a new marketing segment. The gadget I see is what conform to the company’s philosophy of creating something easy to use and affordable for everyone for kids or teens even seniors.  I saw it look like an Ipod shuffle with FaceTime call people can wear just like normal wrist watches with technologies like voice through bone or something that people doesn’t need to hold their phone up.  Nowadays, I found only hip watch companies creating weird looking watch and none of them look like apple products.

Posted by T-Rex on September 23, 2010 at 11:39 PM (PDT)

You may think I’m an idiot who knows nothing but… If you make a big iPod touch and a small iPad, won’t they confuse further the actual difference between these devices? Both run the A4 chip so the only difference is screen resolution & size.

Posted by Pete on September 28, 2010 at 2:36 PM (PDT)

A Mini iPad? I already have one, and it works (mostly) great! I’m ahead of the times!

Let me look at the label here to see what model this is…Oh here it is!...It’s called the iPod Touch! wink

Posted by Brad on September 28, 2010 at 8:01 PM (PDT)

The rumour of apple releasing a brand new iPhone is ture, But they wont change the name. What they will do is fix the anttena problem and sell it as iPhone 4.

Posted by kyle on October 7, 2010 at 12:49 AM (PDT)

pls have a new iphone or update of iphone 4..most of my friends switching to HTC and im already thinking of it 2. i really love apple iphone but this is a big issue with the antenna and also that it doesnt come in other colors. hopefully until feb 2011…

Posted by tivi on October 21, 2010 at 1:40 PM (PDT)

Being an early adopter of the iPhone 4 and therefore plaqued with problems inclusing the fundamental issuer of being able to makle calls (that is what the iPhone is intended to do?) I will be interested in seeing what Apple will do in the way of an upgrade to the hopefully rectified iPhone 5 for all those with iPhone 4’s?

I would like to see a similar approach to the one they took on the release of the 3Gs for 3G owners, so near to its initial release, but Apple seem to be a little forgetfull of their customer base recently!

Posted by Phil Atkinson on October 25, 2010 at 12:00 PM (PDT)

A friend of mine who knows someone at Apple said they were developing a soft iPhone4, it looks and works just like an iPhone, but it is software and runs on your computer, but get this, it remotely controls your iPhone.

Posted by Bill Jones on November 4, 2010 at 4:59 PM (PDT)

I am not quit sure that the information mentioned above is very true.I think that the new ipad 2011 is going to have a new front camera as same as on IPOD TOUCH for FACETIME and SKYPE.On the new ipad is also will be a screen with better quality and higher ammount of pixels.And of course with a new soft so you can update your ipad in march when the new ipad 2011 comes

Posted by upushev temirlan on November 19, 2010 at 12:11 PM (PDT)

I really hope they make a smaller iPad, I want to start reading eBooks on the bus but the iPad is to heavy and the iPhone/iPod touch is too small.

Posted by Belinda on November 22, 2010 at 7:38 PM (PDT)

7” screen w/rez > 1280x1024 ??

Bring it on!!!!

Been lusting after the biggest iTouch that will fit in a cargo pants pocket ever since folding my iPod and PalmPilot into the iTouch.

Given even half-decent battery life, I’ll buy one in a heartbeat.

Posted by PeteCress on November 27, 2010 at 6:21 PM (PDT)

I wouldnt be surprised if the iphone ‘5’ actually would be just be an upgraded iphone 4. This would mean they are getting rid of current iphone 4 stocks, and silently replacing them with an upgraded version, also available in white.

Same looks, fixed antenna problem and some upgraded specs.

Posted by towi on December 9, 2010 at 8:22 AM (PDT)

Who cares?  I’m not dropping another $200 on an iphone and God knows I’m not buying an iPad when my company has already given me one.  This is crazy, what more can Apple possibly put into a device?  iPods play music, iphones do everything and iPads are basically huge ipod touches.  What else are they going to add to a device that is going to make it more desirable?  Anyone with common sense, and as we’ve all seen by the lines when these new devices come out there aren’t many out there, will see all of these toys are all the same; I’ve used them all and they all do the same thing.

Posted by Kevin on December 13, 2010 at 10:50 AM (PDT)

Heard iPhone 5 is gonna have a program on it called iLife. Heard its gonna be a live interactive Windows or should I say tiled based program/application that you’ll be able to switch into and back from (ie ios 4.2 or the latest ios and iLife) got the leak from a friend who works for Apple over my blackberry sounds interesting. If Apple goes with this idea iPhone 5 and iPad 2 are gonna be crazy. Can anyone confirm this recording cos I’m very excited. Good job Steve jobs if this is truth as I see a lot of money for Apple next year.

Posted by barz on December 20, 2010 at 7:23 AM (PDT)

I guess Apple thinks that the world population is stupid, because in countries in Oceania, Asia and South America 4 iphone arrived a short time, and in my country, Brazil, it is missing, because the apple had less 3 billion handsets in São Paulo, on launch day, had delays of up to 700 people, now he’s starting to come in again and launch another iPhone in less than five months of the launch of four, is absurd, because here, iphone 4 is the minimum price of $ 1,799, which is around U.S. $ 1,020 for the 16 gb, 32gb is around R$ 2,100, almost U.s.$ 1800. THIS IS AN ABSURD AND A GIGANTIC HYPOCRISY. The apple had to be ashamed, all consumers are turning to mobile phones from Nokia and Samsung because apple is beeing a fck.

Posted by Matthew on December 20, 2010 at 5:07 PM (PDT)

Put GPS in the Touch so I can get rid of the Garmin.

Posted by Larry on December 24, 2010 at 1:32 PM (PDT)

There will be duo core cpu at 1.0 ghz or higher from samsung and LG soon to be release. Even TI has it own duo core mobile cpu with video chip integrate coming to your door step early next year. Apple can’t afford not to catch up with a new gen iPhone equips with either, duo core or higher speed cpu. I suppose in the late Summer 2011?

Posted by kur on December 25, 2010 at 2:16 PM (PDT)

I’d like to see things that will genuinely make a difference to everyday life such wireless magnetic charging, and a new design of headphones e.g. Wireless transmission.  It is so annoying untangling wires all the freaking time and the technology is there.

I’d also like to see a mini iPhone that would have less features but enable those on a lesser budget to enter the Market - particularly if they are mac owners and want to sync contacts etc.  After all, iPod minis and nanos are going to be redundant very soon anyway just like the classic.

Posted by Ally on January 2, 2011 at 5:03 AM (PDT)

I would expect a camera with a new ipad.

Posted by Priyantha on January 4, 2011 at 4:56 AM (PDT)

I’m holding out for an IPad with a true GPS, not the 3g version it now has.  That’s the only way it will ever be able to run useful aviation apps for in-cockpit use.

Posted by Bob on January 6, 2011 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

How about an apple game console or something like that with apple TV incorporated into it.

Posted by Matt on January 22, 2011 at 8:37 PM (PDT)

iPods: I could see them getting rid of the iPod classic and shuffle, because of their impopularity. The iPod touch will probably keep the cameras, mostly because it was one of the top devices kids and teens got this Christmas, and has been a huge success. I would like flash for the camera for the new iPod though. Also I could believe they will put 3D on the iPod touch, like the Nintendo 3DS, so it could stay the most popular mobile gaming device in the world. This is why they want to put in a 4-axis gyroscope, to replace the 3-axis gyro, for gaming advancments. As for the iPod nano, I would like to see the click wheel back because, well the iPod nano looks like a tiny iPod touch without the gaming and home button. I would like to see the click wheel back, or if they want to keep the touch screen, then they should at least put a button to leave your music app to go to the other apps, because you could accidentaly press where you go back.
iPad: I don’t see a mini ipad coming out just yet. Maybe in a couple years? I mean the iPad came out last year. They should at least wait one more year. I can see a camera on the iPad 2 though, mostly because of the success of the camera in the iPod touch, and since they want to make facetime more successful. Also, retina display would be nice.
iPhone: From all the rumors I have heard, A LOT are unbelieveable. I have heard of wireless syncing to itunes? I could see that happening in the future, but not yet. Apple DOES like style, but they are still working on how that would work. Also, a 10.2 MP camera? That WOULD be amazing. They should replace the glass backing like they have on the iPhone 4.

Posted by Maddie on January 29, 2011 at 3:40 PM (PDT)

ive heard in september 2011 there is going to be an ipod touch 5 generation what going to be the added/new features of it

Posted by rory on February 11, 2011 at 9:17 AM (PDT)

To make ipod classic to get attention it can be coupled with a 4’ touch screen and maintain its 160GB HDD or may also add an 320GB option(If possible) so people who needs a lot of storage can get it, I guess there is no such portable media players.
-proud of my ipod classic 30GB since 5yrs

Posted by Amirtaraj on February 18, 2011 at 8:12 AM (PDT)

The thing that I find the most disturbing is the fact that Apple is now SELLING the bumper for $29.99! They released a defective product, for which they offered the bumper, as a remedy, and were, at least for a time, giving them away. But now, strangely enough, they’ve turned it around into yet another money-making venture. I’m surprised that Apple would be so foolish as to risk alienating their customers in this way. Charging for them at all is exploitative. I’m highly offended at being forced to pay $29.99 for a two dollar piece of plastic which should have come with it. Not only does the iPhone 4 have potential for performance losses without it, but the user is in continuous contact with the antennae, which according to every cell phone I’ve owned prior to the iPhone is to be avoided at all costs.

Posted by Russell on February 19, 2011 at 11:23 AM (PDT)

I really want to see a high capacity ipod utilising current technolgy to replace my old 7th gen 160gb classic which died.  As someone with 300gb of music
ideally a new ipod classic with 128gb or 256gb SSD option would be great.  It would be nice to have wifi and facetime on this device.

Essentially I’d settle for a 128gb/ 256gb ssd ipod Touch

Posted by Tom on March 24, 2011 at 10:00 AM (PDT)

a larger ipad would be almost like a touch laptop with no keyboard. no, there won’t be a bigger ipad anytime soon

Posted by adam on April 11, 2011 at 5:57 AM (PDT)

SO. When will we see the iPad TV, with all the apps, and capabilities, plus TV size?

Posted by Mindy on April 13, 2011 at 3:44 PM (PDT)

if they come out with an ipod touch 5, what would the new features be in comparison to the touch 4?

Posted by d0LpH on May 6, 2011 at 3:40 PM (PDT)

I don’t see why apple would space out the verizon and AT&T Iphone… I think they’ll release them both at the same time.It would suck if Verizon would get it after, or vice-versa.

Posted by veracruz on May 27, 2011 at 6:31 PM (PDT)

i hope the next ipod nano is like the 5th generation cause the new nano is no good if u have big hands like me and i think the 5th generation nano was the best nano so far

Posted by James on June 2, 2011 at 8:58 AM (PDT)

hey guys again can u tell me if their is any new stuff!?! plzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by kate on June 7, 2011 at 4:19 AM (PDT)

hi guys is there really gonna b a ipad min?!?

Posted by kate on June 7, 2011 at 4:20 AM (PDT)

My fellow compadres. Why in the world are there not new ipod touches! if I pull out all B’s at least i get one for my brithday big boys. thank you apple. Steve your in a better place.

Posted by Peter Griffin on October 6, 2011 at 8:04 PM (PDT)