Leopard: A Coupon, Please, Apple
Just one thought on today’s announcement that OS X 10.5 has been delayed until October: Apple, please just offer a coupon to the many, many people who have been holding off on buying a Mac until Leopard’s released.
I get lots of telephone calls and e-mails from friends in this situation - people I’ll call latter-day halo effecters. Existing Mac users waiting for the latest and greatest may be mildly disappointed by the delay, but those who have been waiting patiently to buy their first Macs are in a different state of mind today; their hopes were just dashed. Or will be, when they hear the news over the next few days. Another Leopard delay is another 6 months of being stuck with a PC they hate enough to ditch.
A coupon is an easy way to remedy this: “buy a Mac now, get Leopard when it’s released.” Speaking solely for myself, I know that my next Mac purchase—planned for the next wave of updates—would be a no-brainer with that sort of guarantee. While there are counter-arguments to be made, namely that doing this might shorten the lines of pent-up demand come Leopard’s release in October, or force Apple’s accountants to postpone some revenue recognition until a later quarter, I think it’d be worth it to build goodwill and the Mac’s user base at a time when lots of people are ready to make the switch.
Readers, what do you think?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Cook ‘deeply offended’ by BBC allegations
- BBC investigative report claims Apple fails to protect Chinese workers
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Tim Cook announces $20M raised for (PRODUCT)RED in internal e-mail
- Apple announces 64-bit and iOS 8 requirements for app updates
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple halts online sales in Russia
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Apple Pay cards represent 90 percent of US credit purchase volume; Samsung readying rival service
- Apps of the Week: Microsoft’s MSN apps
- STM Dux for iPhone 6
- Kenu Stance Compact Tripod for iPhone
- SwitchEasy Boombox for iPhone 6
- STM Skinny Pro for iPad Air 2
- SwitchEasy Rave for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Wrap for iPhone 6 Plus
- Dog & Bone Wetsuit for iPhone 6
- Belkin Qode Ultimate + Ultimate Pro Keyboard Cases for iPad Air 2
- Evollve Ozobot
- Skech Crystal for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Hard Rubber + Ice for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPad Air 2
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0