Leopard: A Coupon, Please, Apple | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Leopard: A Coupon, Please, Apple

Just one thought on today’s announcement that OS X 10.5 has been delayed until October: Apple, please just offer a coupon to the many, many people who have been holding off on buying a Mac until Leopard’s released.

I get lots of telephone calls and e-mails from friends in this situation - people I’ll call latter-day halo effecters. Existing Mac users waiting for the latest and greatest may be mildly disappointed by the delay, but those who have been waiting patiently to buy their first Macs are in a different state of mind today; their hopes were just dashed. Or will be, when they hear the news over the next few days. Another Leopard delay is another 6 months of being stuck with a PC they hate enough to ditch.

A coupon is an easy way to remedy this: “buy a Mac now, get Leopard when it’s released.” Speaking solely for myself, I know that my next Mac purchase—planned for the next wave of updates—would be a no-brainer with that sort of guarantee. While there are counter-arguments to be made, namely that doing this might shorten the lines of pent-up demand come Leopard’s release in October, or force Apple’s accountants to postpone some revenue recognition until a later quarter, I think it’d be worth it to build goodwill and the Mac’s user base at a time when lots of people are ready to make the switch.

Readers, what do you think?

« House Hunting and the iPod

Huzzk rubbers up the MacBook and Pro »

Comments

Coupons are a dumb idea.

I think that people shouldn’t base their computer purchases on when a new OS is coming out.

Posted by garry on April 12, 2007 at 9:01 PM (CDT)

Why?  Tiger is already vastly superior to Windows XP or Vista, so there is no real reason to wait to switch.  Besides, when Leopard is released in October, it’s only $129 which is cheaper than what Windows Vista upgrades cost.

Posted by lancetx on April 12, 2007 at 9:06 PM (CDT)

It doesn’t make sense.
It’s not like they paid for it already.
Why don’t I just say I want a coupon for some car that I want sometime in the future?

Posted by Boris714 on April 12, 2007 at 9:26 PM (CDT)

that’s the exact same idea i had…
i’ve been waiting months to get my first mac because i wanted to have the latest and greatest operating system… don’t get me wrong tiger looks good but leopard’s lookin better…

Posted by jchilder on April 12, 2007 at 9:27 PM (CDT)

Of course people should pay attention to OS releases when planning to purchase a new computer. To fail to do so means that you will have a computer for a month or so before its OS is outdated, and to update, you will have to buy the newer version. Unless you are the sort of person that would rather just spend money on something totally pointless that you would get for free anyway if you were just willing to plan a little, it does matter when 10.5 comes out. Furthermore, a coupon would be fair—if they even update hardware. It could be that the iPhone has just stopped the world from turning, in Apple’s mind, and that everyone who doesn’t want it is out of luck.

Posted by jes on April 12, 2007 at 9:31 PM (CDT)

Offer the coupon and I’ll buy a new computer.  When the Intel machines came out, I started saving money for an upgrade.  Now I have the money and coincidentally Leopard is due at about the same time.  I know I’m going to want it, so why pay for the operating system twice?  My G4 is long in the tooth, but it works fine.  I’m not denying myself anything by waiting.  Apple, however, has to wait to get my money.  They can just have it for the price of issuing a coupon.  As for the iPhone, I’m excited about the technology that Apple is demonstrating with it, but I have no intention of buying one .

Posted by Mirage on April 12, 2007 at 9:46 PM (CDT)

I’m going to school for 6 months in mid September in a different country in a remote area. Presently I have a Mac with my employer, but it’s not mine. I had suspected I would wait out until Leopard was released, so I could cut down on costs. I was even planning on getting Refurb! But now it looks like I’ll have to buy a system with Tiger, and wait until Christmas to upgrade, if I even have the cash. I’m disappointed with this announcement, I would love a coupon or something, yet I understand that it probably wont happen…. :(

Posted by Jeremy on April 12, 2007 at 10:15 PM (CDT)

Apple doesn’t offer discounted upgrades until the release date is officially announced.

Them’s the breaks.  Either you wait it out, or buy the machine and enjoy it for the next six months.

Posted by lookmark on April 12, 2007 at 10:27 PM (CDT)

Er, Just because a new OS version has come out, doesn’t mean the previous one is outdated. I can understand waiting for Leopard this close to a June release, but if a switcher would be satisfied with Tiger were there no Leopard, an October release is too far to wait for, and therefore undeserving of a coupon.

It would be another thing if Apple had seriously broken expectations of a release date, but a 4 month delay? How many people who bought Windows computers in 2002-2006 got a free Vista coupon?

Posted by Jim Main on April 12, 2007 at 10:50 PM (CDT)

have been waiting for leopard.
if apple wants my money now -
don’t give me a coupongive me a coupon.
if apple wants me to feel good about their customer service, compensate me for the wait for a product that they announced for spring - give me a coupon
dont give me a coupon - they’ll get my money anyway - not sure if it’s now or october - but i wont feel as good about it.
is this important to apple - i have no idea

Posted by rt on April 12, 2007 at 11:40 PM (CDT)

Q: “How many people who bought Windows computers in 2002-2006 got a free Vista coupon?”

A: This many. When Microsoft announced a Vista delay that would affect one of its hottest selling seasons, a coupon plan was implemented to placate PC buyers. Obviously there are different takes on this subject, but from where I stand, there’s a lot of evidence that people have been waiting on Leopard to make “the switch,” and a coupon plan would not only avoid the risk of a cooling-off period, but make a lot of otherwise grumbly people happy.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on April 13, 2007 at 12:45 AM (CDT)

You are right on target with your idea.

I buy a couple of new comptuers each year for our small business. As the guy who provides IT support, I schedule my new boxes to conincide with new hardwares/software releases. This gives me a cost effective way to “justify” a new laptop for myself as I checkout new features. My current laptop is used to phase out an older box that is getting long in the tooth.

This delay for Leopard will result in my holding off on a planned June purchase so I can ultimately get my hands on Leopard to vet the new OS for our company. A coupon would put that purchase back on schedule.

Posted by Dave on April 13, 2007 at 12:52 AM (CDT)

I would much prefer to wait until Leopard is as bug free as possible.
I am just about to move to a MacPro from a three year old G5. So I will be working in familiar territory with Tiger during the hardware changeover.
I am confident that Leopard is going to be as much an update to the os as the iPhone is to mobile phones. Don’t be suprised if some of the iPhone interface goodies turn up in Leopard.

Posted by Richard Dalziel-Sharpe on April 13, 2007 at 2:56 AM (CDT)

I think it’s a great idea.  It’s been done before, why not do it again, especially since they will be 5 months late.

Posted by KMREED on April 13, 2007 at 2:57 AM (CDT)

I’m exactly in the same situation:
my PC disk is going to die in a few weeks… and I wanted to wait till the release of Leopard to buy the Mac… but now I’ve to wait till October… (and maybe with a better graphic card) hoping it will not be postponed again
What do I’ve to do in the meantime? Now I’m stuck with the PC, buying a new HD is cheaper then buying a new OS later

Posted by Simone on April 13, 2007 at 3:22 AM (CDT)

I’d prefer a coupon. I was planning to upgrade to two, perhaps three new machines, a MacBook, iMac, Mac-Mini and even perhaps an Apple TV. Looks like the first three items will have to wait for October, or thereabout.

Posted by Zar on April 13, 2007 at 3:51 AM (CDT)

Wait till October
Leopard we want you here now
Control-alt-delete

Posted by OnlyShawn on April 13, 2007 at 8:01 AM (CDT)

A coupon probably wouldn’t affect my decision too much (about to replace my wife’s iBook with a new MacBook), but if it gets 10% more people to go ahead and buy a new machine now, and keeps 10% fewer people buying now from feeling pissed off about the delay, it’s probably a good investment for Apple.

Posted by Mike Weston on April 13, 2007 at 10:56 AM (CDT)

The thing is this…. People need a laptop today.  Tiger comes with it.  Knowing that 6 months from now you will have to shell out another $149 for something that was announced with a “Spring Release” date, seems a little unfair.

However, you might be better off to wait, as perhaps updated machines will be announced come October to go along with the Leopard launch.  If Apple announces these machines before then, then they should include a upgrade coupon.  Sad thing share holders, it might just be a slow summer for Apple.

Posted by WillGonz on April 13, 2007 at 3:43 PM (CDT)

Coupons will alleviate the situation and is a tactic Apple already used when they first released the G5. Mine shipped with Jagwire and I had to send in a coupon to receive an upgrade to Panther. Cost me just the price of the p&p.

Today, Pro users were waiting for upgrades from adobe to upgrade to intel macs, now they’ll wait for upgrades to leopard. It would make sense for them to do so cos it will save 1000s on multiple licenses in spite of the money extra speed will generate / save.

Personally, I’ve been waiting for the next release of macs and leopard but will push back my purchase. It’s funny how everything backfired for apple - taking pot shots at MS for vista delays, then having to state leopard isn’t delayed then contradicting themselves a few days later… Screw the iphone i want a new Finder and new Macs, portables and a midrange pro (ie an iMac specced machine w/o monitor and with hdd and gfx card upgrade options that isn’t bottlenecked by using laptop components)

Posted by jimmy on April 13, 2007 at 6:16 PM (CDT)

As a consumer, of course I’d love an upgrade coupon. But I’m not sure it’s the best thing for Apple to do. That would be a *lot* of revenue they’d be sacrificing.

Asking readers of an iPod news site if they’d like something for free is like opening a rock concert by saying “Springfield is the greatest city in the world!” Of course you’re gonna get applause.

It’s a little bit like asking, “Since there hasn’t been a new iPod in a long time, we think Apple should drop all their prices by $50. Who agrees with me?”

Having said that, there are *still* comments in this thread that are indifferent to the coupon idea. Yes, it makes sense to consumers. But I’m not sure it makes sense for Apple, the Company.

Apple doesn’t owe me anything. Coupon or otherwise.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on April 13, 2007 at 6:27 PM (CDT)

Right on! It seems like i have been waiting forever for leopard. I’m still using my old iBook G4 and want to get the benefit of the improved iphoto etc now, but since I live in Japan where seperate software is always more expensive it makes sense for me to buy my new mac with the software already installed.Its not always easy to get software right away in ENGLISH here in Japan…yes..even at the Apple Store! The marketing guys here seem to think that only Japanese are buying the stuff even though there are millions of us foreign residents here.
I’d appreciate the coupon please!

Posted by Cameraman on April 21, 2007 at 10:22 PM (CDT)

Waited & waited & waited & watched… Wanted a MacBook Pro. Then problems with batteries, then problems with non-extended warranties and additional costs,then problems with displays, etc. etc. etc; all reported in volume on various Apple related sites.

Purchased a IBM/Lenovo T60, loaded and with a 3 years next day service contract for less than $1,500 delivered, running Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty)! No regrets & I have never looked back!
===
LENOVO THINKPAD T60 8743   VBB NO INT.WIFI WL 3RD ANTENNA     VBB INTEGR.BLUETOOTH PAN     SBB INTEL CORE 2DUO PROC T7200     SBB 15.4 W SXGA+_TFT         SBB ATI MOB. RAD. X1400 128MB     VBB 1GB PC2-5300 667MHZ 1DIMM     SBB 160 GB,HDDRIVE,5400RPM     SBB DVD RECORD 8XMAXDUAL L UBS     SBB INTELPRO/WL3945ABGUSCNLAAP     SBB 6 CELL LI-ION BATTERY     SBB COUNTRY PACK NORTH AMERICA     SBB LANGUAGE PACK US ENGLISH     SBB 56K V.92 DESIGNED MODEM     SBB ATI LABEL             SBB 1GB PC2-5300 667MHZ MEM.    SBB PACK. US, 15.4”        LENOVO THINKPLUS EXTENDED SERVICE AGREEMENT - 3 YEARS
===

Posted by Tom on May 3, 2007 at 12:12 PM (CDT)

I have wanted to buy an Imac for over two years now.  I researched and read so many different views and opinions and did so much research that I decided to stay with Dell and get a new PC.  It has been great and I have never had a bad experience with Dell since I started buying them more than ten years ago.  But, I really want an IMAC and no matter how many PCs I get, I will still want an Imac so in spite of all the delays and all the negative comments from PC lovers I have decided to get an Imac. I read that the release of Leopard will be Oct 31 and that is a long time and I am worried that if I wait that long, I might change my mind again.  So, I guess I will leap now and hope for the best later.

Posted by Deborah Gulley on August 18, 2007 at 6:39 PM (CDT)

Went to the Apple store and purchased a MacBook in late August 2007.
Did they tell me that a new operating system was coming out? NO!!!
(Their excuse: We did not know when Leopard would be released.)

Now they have the nerve to send me an e-mail offering Leopard for $130k after I just paid for a new computer with a “new” operating system.
Called Customer Service*, they offered to send me a $30 coupon so my expense will be $100 for using the existing operating system for 2 months.
I told them no thank you. I will simply not purchase another Apple product ever again.

* Apparently “Customer Service” does not know what service means.

Posted by MikeDK1 on October 23, 2007 at 1:23 PM (CDT)