Leopard: A Coupon, Please, Apple
Just one thought on today’s announcement that OS X 10.5 has been delayed until October: Apple, please just offer a coupon to the many, many people who have been holding off on buying a Mac until Leopard’s released.
I get lots of telephone calls and e-mails from friends in this situation - people I’ll call latter-day halo effecters. Existing Mac users waiting for the latest and greatest may be mildly disappointed by the delay, but those who have been waiting patiently to buy their first Macs are in a different state of mind today; their hopes were just dashed. Or will be, when they hear the news over the next few days. Another Leopard delay is another 6 months of being stuck with a PC they hate enough to ditch.
A coupon is an easy way to remedy this: “buy a Mac now, get Leopard when it’s released.” Speaking solely for myself, I know that my next Mac purchase—planned for the next wave of updates—would be a no-brainer with that sort of guarantee. While there are counter-arguments to be made, namely that doing this might shorten the lines of pent-up demand come Leopard’s release in October, or force Apple’s accountants to postpone some revenue recognition until a later quarter, I think it’d be worth it to build goodwill and the Mac’s user base at a time when lots of people are ready to make the switch.
Readers, what do you think?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Notes from Apple’s Q2 2015 earnings call
- Apple Q2 2015: Record $58B revenue, 61.1M iPhones, 12.6M iPads
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4 beta to developers
- Major hospital links HealthKit data to patient records
- Apple Pay adds Discover cards
- Apple enables iTunes donations for Nepal earthquake
- Apple’s third-generation Siri built on Mesos platform
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- Apple Watch
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?