Leopard: A Coupon, Please, Apple
Just one thought on today’s announcement that OS X 10.5 has been delayed until October: Apple, please just offer a coupon to the many, many people who have been holding off on buying a Mac until Leopard’s released.
I get lots of telephone calls and e-mails from friends in this situation - people I’ll call latter-day halo effecters. Existing Mac users waiting for the latest and greatest may be mildly disappointed by the delay, but those who have been waiting patiently to buy their first Macs are in a different state of mind today; their hopes were just dashed. Or will be, when they hear the news over the next few days. Another Leopard delay is another 6 months of being stuck with a PC they hate enough to ditch.
A coupon is an easy way to remedy this: “buy a Mac now, get Leopard when it’s released.” Speaking solely for myself, I know that my next Mac purchase—planned for the next wave of updates—would be a no-brainer with that sort of guarantee. While there are counter-arguments to be made, namely that doing this might shorten the lines of pent-up demand come Leopard’s release in October, or force Apple’s accountants to postpone some revenue recognition until a later quarter, I think it’d be worth it to build goodwill and the Mac’s user base at a time when lots of people are ready to make the switch.
Readers, what do you think?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Report: Apple agrees to accept product inspections from Chinese government
- IK Multimedia announces iRig Mic Studio
- NimbleBit announces Apple Watch support for Letterpad
- Apple acquires music analytics firm Semetric
- Apple terminates Crimean developer agreements due to U.S. sanctions
- Apple commemorates Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air 2
- Twelve South BookBook for iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12