MacBook gets RhinoSkinned
Fresh back from my brief cruise to Mexico, I was glad to discover that there wasn’t a massive pile of new iPod gear waiting around, but there was a huge box here from Saunders: the RhinoSkin MacBook Hardcase ($60), in white. Currently only available in this color - Black’s coming - and in a size for the 13” plastic-bodied MacBook - Pro ones are coming, too - the RhinoSkin case has a couple of cool innovations that are worth sharing with those of you who are still looking for hard plastic notebook computer protection.
Click on the title above for more photos and details.
Though we’ve seen other plastic MacBook cases already, Saunders’ design has one unique advantage - modularity. Instead of just including a single hard shell for the MacBook, the Hardcase includes two plastic boxes: one holds the computer, the other its power supply (or comparably-sized items), and they can be snapped together for easy carrying. A locking button lets you detach the smaller box easily if you want it off. Including the power supply tote was a nice thought - and pretty well executed - given that Speck, Axio and other MacBook case makers haven’t always thought about that part of the picture.
Saunders has also designed a way to provide part-time port access: fold-open panels that can be shut when either your left-side ports or the DVD drive aren’t in use. Ventilation holes are on a rubber and plastic foot-elevated bottom surface, and gray plastic snaps hold the case closed: they’re not super impressive, and will pop (safely) off if you put something too large inside of either included box, but they work if you haven’t thickened your MacBook or incorrectly stowed your power supply. Similarly, foam lining on the inside of the small box is easy to tear if your wall adapter’s blades rub against it in the wrong way, a visual and design blemish. A hole for the MacBook’s IR sensor on the front is properly centered, but at some distance from the actual sensor, as is the rest of the case’s edging; a transparent plastic shield lets you see the Apple logo through the top of the case.
Another nice idea: two included, detachable straps that slide into place on the case’s back and pop out when not in use. You can wear the hardcase backpack-style, or carry it on a single shoulder if you prefer. You may find yourself preferring the twin strap system: with the added weight of the case and power supply, the otherwise impressively slim MacBook becomes heavy, and having the extra strap there is nice.
At $60, the RhinoSkin MacBook Hardcase isn’t cheap, and it isn’t quite as sexy as some of the other cases we’ve seen, but it offers a nice combination of functionality and protectivity, foam resilience aside. Hard plastic seems to be a popular material for MacBook cases; given its experience with metal iPod cases, we’re wondering whether Saunders (or anyone else) will try to come up with an aluminum MacBook Pro case as cool as the computer itself, or whether Zero Halliburton-style alternatives are all we’ll be seeing…
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
- Cook: ‘Religious freedom’ laws allowing discrimination are dangerous
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?