MacBook: Power brick No. 3, Mooing ‘totally normal’
A quick update on my MacBook problems: I received the replacement power brick yesterday from Apple, but it had the same noise and heat issues as the original one. After around 30 minutes on the phone with Apple Support, I was told that there is a known issue with the power adapters and that I had gotten another defective one from Apple’s parts stock. The Apple Support rep said that he would send out another replacement power brick and that—for sure—it would not have the issues as the others. I received this third power brick this morning, plugged it in, and heard the same noises. Ugh. After another call to Apple Support today, I was told that they now needed to take a look at my MacBook and that they didn’t want to send any more power bricks. So, I’ll be taking the MacBook to the local Apple Store tomorrow to see if they can find what’s wrong with the power brick and/or my MacBook.
As for the mooing, well, I feel like I’m writing this from the pasture of a dairy farm, if that tells you anything. I swear, I must have the most talkative heffer ever living inside my MacBook. During Tuesday’s Apple Support call, I explained the mooing issue after taking care of the power brick issue. I was put on hold by a “Tier 2” Apple specialist who went to talk with an on-site Apple engineer. Said engineer stressed to the specialist that this was not a hardware failure of any kind. He said it was “totally normal” and that the mooing would in fact be addressed with a forthcoming firmware update. (I believe this as Apple has recently released MacBook Pro firmware updates that “adjust fan behavior”.) He said that basically every MacBook has the potential to moo if they reached the same level of heat/processor load. Also, I can confirm that the Mac OS X 10.4.7 update released late yesterday does not kill the cow. The mooing began minutes after installing the update and restarting the MacBook.
So, the power brick problem might not be a power brick problem at all. It might be a MacBook problem, which will anger me greatly if I have to send in the MacBook to get it fixed. (I’ll see how that goes tomorrow.) And the mooing problem should hopefully be fixed soon. I really, really can’t wait. It’s easily the most annoying issue I’ve ever had with a Mac or PC. But hey, at least it isn’t turning yellow.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?