MacBook: Power brick No. 3, Mooing ‘totally normal’
A quick update on my MacBook problems: I received the replacement power brick yesterday from Apple, but it had the same noise and heat issues as the original one. After around 30 minutes on the phone with Apple Support, I was told that there is a known issue with the power adapters and that I had gotten another defective one from Apple’s parts stock. The Apple Support rep said that he would send out another replacement power brick and that—for sure—it would not have the issues as the others. I received this third power brick this morning, plugged it in, and heard the same noises. Ugh. After another call to Apple Support today, I was told that they now needed to take a look at my MacBook and that they didn’t want to send any more power bricks. So, I’ll be taking the MacBook to the local Apple Store tomorrow to see if they can find what’s wrong with the power brick and/or my MacBook.
As for the mooing, well, I feel like I’m writing this from the pasture of a dairy farm, if that tells you anything. I swear, I must have the most talkative heffer ever living inside my MacBook. During Tuesday’s Apple Support call, I explained the mooing issue after taking care of the power brick issue. I was put on hold by a “Tier 2” Apple specialist who went to talk with an on-site Apple engineer. Said engineer stressed to the specialist that this was not a hardware failure of any kind. He said it was “totally normal” and that the mooing would in fact be addressed with a forthcoming firmware update. (I believe this as Apple has recently released MacBook Pro firmware updates that “adjust fan behavior”.) He said that basically every MacBook has the potential to moo if they reached the same level of heat/processor load. Also, I can confirm that the Mac OS X 10.4.7 update released late yesterday does not kill the cow. The mooing began minutes after installing the update and restarting the MacBook.
So, the power brick problem might not be a power brick problem at all. It might be a MacBook problem, which will anger me greatly if I have to send in the MacBook to get it fixed. (I’ll see how that goes tomorrow.) And the mooing problem should hopefully be fixed soon. I really, really can’t wait. It’s easily the most annoying issue I’ve ever had with a Mac or PC. But hey, at least it isn’t turning yellow.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple acquires speech tech startup VocalIQ
- iPhone 6s more water-resistant than previous models
- Apple CEO Tim Cook talks privacy to NPR
- Amazon to ban sale of Apple TV
- Former Boeing CFO James Bell elected to Apple’s Board of Directors
- Apple releases iOS 9.1 beta 3 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 9.0.2
- Cook urges businesses, governments to address social problems
- A note on our iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus case reviews
- Apple pulls app that documented US drone strikes
- Spigen Perfect Armor for iPhone 6s, Slim/Tough Armor for iPhone 6s Plus
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Speck CandyShell Clear and CandyShell Inked Jonathan Adler for iPhone 6/6s
- BenQ treVolo Bluetooth Portable Electrostatic Speaker
- iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- TrackR bravo
- Apple iPad mini 4 Silicone Case + Smart Cover
- Apple iPad mini 4
- Fluance Fi50 Bluetooth speaker
- Ultimate Ears UE Boom 2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?