Maroon 5’s Mysterious iTunes Fade-Out?
We don’t often write about our musical preferences, and certainly don’t spend a lot of time tracking all the new content that flows into the iTunes catalog. There are, after all, “over five million songs” there now. But it seems like some of them have disappeared.
Above, you see the cover of a Maroon 5 EP called She Will Be Loved that I downloaded in part from the iTunes Store last year. I’d provide the URL and link, but when I click on the iTunes Store arrow, I get this message: it’s not available any more. That’s seriously odd, considering that one of Maroon 5’s songs, “This Love,” was apparently the Store’s “most downloaded song” at some point in time. That’s when I notice that the band’s entire, 4x+ platinum album, Songs About Jane, is gone from the Store too, except for four key songs and edited or remixed versions. And the Kanye West remix of This Love, the special track I downloaded from iTunes, is entirely gone as well.
The semi-good news is that iTunes is selling a brand new, absolutely excellent track called Makes Me Wonder. Well, sort of. iTunes has the video for Makes Me Wonder, which I surprised myself by paying $1.99 to download tonight after catching a lower-resolution version for free on YouTube. To me, a decent quality version of the video was worth buying. But iTunes Store users without 5G iPods are already noting the absence of a music only single, posting comments like, “where’s the 99 cent song we can play on our non-video iPods?”
Great question. And where are the rest of the band’s prior album-style releases? Could this have anything to do with the band’s affiliation with Universal Music Group—responsible for posting the video clip to YouTube, snagging a Zune royalty deal from Microsoft, and apparent thorn in Apple’s side? Perhaps someone out there knows the full story, or wants to sleuth it out if it hasn’t been documented already.
Update April 24, 2007: Songs About Jane has returned to the Store, along with a pre-order for the band’s new album. But the Kanye West remix of This Love, featured on the album cover up above, is still MIA.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- BBC investigative report claims Apple fails to protect Chinese workers
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Tim Cook announces $20M raised for (PRODUCT)RED in internal e-mail
- Apple announces 64-bit and iOS 8 requirements for app updates
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple halts online sales in Russia
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Apple Pay cards represent 90 percent of US credit purchase volume; Samsung readying rival service
- Apps of the Week: Microsoft’s MSN apps
- TwelveSouth releases BookBook for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- STM Dux for iPhone 6
- Kenu Stance Compact Tripod for iPhone
- SwitchEasy Boombox for iPhone 6
- STM Skinny Pro for iPad Air 2
- SwitchEasy Rave for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Wrap for iPhone 6 Plus
- Dog & Bone Wetsuit for iPhone 6
- Belkin Qode Ultimate + Ultimate Pro Keyboard Cases for iPad Air 2
- Evollve Ozobot
- Skech Crystal for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Hard Rubber + Ice for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPad Air 2
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0