MobileMe Chat Support is Useless | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

MobileMe Chat Support is Useless

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Thursday, August 7, 2008
Backstage Categories:

After four attempts this morning to contact Apple’s standard customer service regarding MobileMe outage credit—the first three ended in failed attempts by representatives to transfer me to a billing department—this is the message that popped up on Apple’s MobileMe online chat page, the only way people are currently being told they can get customer support.

image

Right. Because after the first three people couldn’t help, customers should really have to wait 82 minutes for the next screwed-up response—it’s as if Apple is working from the Dell playbook here. Best of luck, Eddy Cue. Seriously.

« Internet Radio via Logitech’s Squeezebox Boom

iPod nano 4G: a Zune-alike? »

Comments

I got this screen. And it just freezes and never takes you anywhere. Even if you do wait whatever amount of time it says.

Posted by MikeW on August 7, 2008 at 7:50 AM (PDT)

Same thing happened to me - I tried twice to do this and nothing after hours of waiting…and to make matters worse - I figured I would email the issue at hand to them and there is no way to email them regarding issues around credit.  Also I got a letter from them saying they would credit me one extra month which I haven’t seen reflected in my online account information.

Posted by Markus on August 7, 2008 at 7:59 AM (PDT)

I got the message saying I had 28 minutes to wait.  After waiting 43 minutes, the message said I had another 2 minutes to wait.  After waiting another 30 minutes, it still said 2 minutes to go.  Eventually I had to cut my losses and walk away….  I do have other things to do in life than wait in front of my computer.

Which of course is precisely what Apple is counting on.

Posted by Jim G on August 7, 2008 at 8:24 AM (PDT)

About 2 weeks ago I was able to chat with a human after waiting for a short time; however, the Apple support guy (named “Orlando”) told me he couldn’t fix my problem and would escalate my tech support to another technician. He told me I would hear back in about 72 hours. It’s been 2 weeks and no one has contacted me.

I never received the apology letter and never got the one-month extension. I still cannot remove my now-defunct .Mac Group from my MobileMe iDisk. So, why is the MobileMe status light always “green”?

Posted by RobS on August 7, 2008 at 10:03 AM (PDT)

Imagine that. When things actually involve a company giving YOU money, they’re slow as molasses. Yet they take your money instantly when it’s time to collect.

Since the product didn’t work as advertised, considering you are trying to get a refund offered to users of something that doesn’t work, why not just file a chargeback with your credit card issuer? “product not as described” or similar would be appropriate for something that doesn’t work as promised.

Merchants tend to sit up and take notice when they find money being pulled from their accounts due to shoddy service.

Posted by Buran on August 8, 2008 at 8:41 AM (PDT)

I had a similar experience that actually ended well. My .Mac account was set to expire yesterday. On the FAQ about the MobileMe 30-day extension it says that if your account is set to expire then it will not until the 30-day extension has been applied.

Lo and behold my expire date comes around and I get an email saying that my MobileMe account is expired, email will work for 15 more days, and after Aug 22nd we will not be able to save your data or preferences.

Ok so I get on to chat with the support guy. First wait time 37 minutes. It times out before I’m able to talk with someone. Hmm…so I hit the button to chat again 42 minutes this time. After watching the time dwindle to 22 minutes it started going back up to 30 minutes. Ok…came back down and at 16 minutes a guy came and helped me. In my case the FAQ was correct and he said to ignore (the very official) email that said that my account was expired.

He didn’t have an ETA for the 30-day extensions. “Engineers” are working on that one and haven’t said when it will happen.

So if your account is set to expire (if it’s on auto-renew I’d suggest taking that off to eke out a few more days, weeks, months) the word is that it will not UNTIL Apple applies the 30-day extension and then you will have 30 days from when they apply it to make your reup decision.

Posted by ben on August 9, 2008 at 1:06 AM (PDT)

I contacted iPhone support. After waiting 15 minutes the rep took my call. He said to hold one moment while he researched my problem. Suddenly, I heard an AT&T;message.

I was transferred, I think by accident. The AT&T;Support couldn’t do me anything anyway because they are closed on Saturday. I called Apple again and waited. Then the rep told me that I had to go chat on the Apple site.

After nearly two hours of chatting the rep told me that I needed to do something to the computer that required me to log off, which would end our session.

This after making my problem worse than when we first started. Now I was not left worse off, and he wouldn’t be there to help.

I tried to do what he told me, but it was difficult to execute because I couldn’t see any of his directions because I was logged under a different user name.

I stumbled upon your site after looking for the chat page on the Apple website.

I’ve been a very loyal Apple customer for years. I can’t believe how awful this experience has been.

Posted by Lawrence Ineno on September 27, 2008 at 7:57 PM (PDT)