Motorola KRZR arrives | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Motorola KRZR arrives

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, September 21, 2006
Backstage Categories:

imageMy friends call me a “phone whore.” I change cell phones at least two or three times a year, never sticking with one for very long. The latest switch is to Motorola’s new KRZR K1, which just arrived today. In fact, the KRZR just started shipping out of Asia last week, according to my phone importer, so don’t expect to see it in stores for a couple more weeks or months. I’m switching from a standard RAZR, which I went back to from a disappointing RAZR V3i. Below are some quick thoughts and a small gallery of photos of the new device compared to the RAZR.

- The KRZR is noticeably narrower than the RAZR, but also a little thicker and longer. There’s no real size innovation here—it feels like Motorola is using the same internal components, but just rearranged them a bit.

- I don’t hate the “Cosmic Blue” as much as I thought I would, but I still wouldn’t pick it if I had any other color choice. The CDMA model comes in a dark gray/black which I like a lot better. But knowing Motorola, you can expect a rainbow of colors over the next year or two.

- The main screen is really bright and crisp. The external screen seems about the same as the RAZR.

- The 2-megapixel camera is better than the RAZR and RAZR V3i, though not as great as I had hoped. A sample of the KRZR’s photo quality, compared to the RAZR and RAZR V3i, can be seen here. Note that all of the photos were scaled down from their original sizes to 640x480 (the KRZR’s pics are 1600x1200 at full size).

- The interface is super fast. Not sure if it’s completely new, but it looks tons better than the RAZR’s interface and is much snappier.

- Like all shiny gadgets, fingerprints are an issue. The KRZR has a mirror-like finish that will make you want to keep a microfiber cloth with you at all times. I’ve only had the phone for a couple hours, yet it looks like 40 or 50 people have already handled it.

- It can play MPEG-4 video and MP3/AAC music files, but with no iTunes I’m not even bothering. The internal speaker, however, is rather loud and much clearer than the RAZR. MP3 ringtones sound great.

- It feels better in your hand when closed, but not as good when open and using as the RAZR. Though, it is easier to find the speaker with your ear on the KRZR. The screen hinge feels much more sturdier when opening and closing.

- It’s got a Transflash (microSD) slot, which can easily be confused with the SIM card slot. And why do companies insist on the super-flimsy USB port covers? The tiny one on the KRZR should last, oh, until about 10 am tomorrow before it breaks off.

- KRZR? Seriously? Please give up the four-letter, ALL CAPS naming scheme, Motorola.

image

image

image

image

« Speck’s SeeThru hard shell protects MacBook Pro (Updated)

Zune: Clock ticking on Microsoft’s last chance? »

Comments

how is the keypad?

Posted by Mitch on September 21, 2006 at 8:08 PM (PDT)

Icky. Too long.

I love my RAZR just the way it is. It’s perfect.

Posted by grubesteak on September 21, 2006 at 8:36 PM (PDT)

The keypad feels solid… not sure if it’s really “better” than the RAZR’s keypad, but it feels a little stiffer.

Posted by Larry Angell on September 21, 2006 at 8:38 PM (PDT)

got damn that is ulgy!!!! way too long and that stripe around the side, the color, the list goes on and on…....

Posted by Nick Wright on September 21, 2006 at 8:58 PM (PDT)

Is it just me, or is the KRZR’s screen smaller than the RAZR’s? I mea, come on Motorola, you must have spent at least 10 Million designing this thing. Put some focus group testing in the budget. i mean Narrower, but bigger in every other dimension? Really, i’ll stick with the V3c and then go to an iPhone

Posted by anti-luddite on September 22, 2006 at 9:16 AM (PDT)

What is the resolution of the screen?

Posted by wco81 in West Coast on September 22, 2006 at 1:50 PM (PDT)

This makes perfect sense—the two criticisms of the RAZR design I hear most frequently are:
1) too fat, doesn’t fit in my hand
2) weird keypad

This phone fixes both.

Posted by WooJr on October 4, 2006 at 7:20 AM (PDT)

it is too long, but you can get many covers to change the outer color, including black, silver, etc.

I don’t even be using the phone , but rather a blue tooth ear peice, so the longness won’t bother me.

Posted by D_Town96 on October 9, 2006 at 10:12 PM (PDT)

do you if it’s going to launch for t-mobile and if so when

Posted by alex on October 11, 2006 at 7:54 PM (PDT)

when does the krzr come out for cingular? And when it does, what color will it be?

Posted by ab on October 26, 2006 at 2:23 PM (PDT)

omg i love it i wish i have having a motorola V360 is kool but the motorola KRZR is kooler lol i love it!!! if any1 whats to sell it for a nice price (not too much plz) send me an email

Posted by D on October 31, 2006 at 12:12 AM (PDT)

is the usb port faster than on the RAZR ?

Posted by kay on November 22, 2006 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

i just got the phone and i love my KRZR its crome the camera is so clear and crisp unlike my RAZOR which isn’t definityly excellent upgrade from the RAZOR

Posted by alessabdra on April 20, 2007 at 10:02 AM (PDT)

I got my KRZR almost two months ago. Love the phone-but having some problems. Anyone heard of a feature on it that would make me get double billed everytime I send a text message? With every message sent-my bill will show a received message 6 seconds later. My carrier says there is a return receipt turned on but I can’t find the setting. Motorola says there is no such thing. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME?

Posted by dani on May 5, 2007 at 11:07 AM (PDT)

the razer is to fat.. and short dont fit in my hand, the krzr isnt much longer and a little thinner, it feels perfect, the only problem is the keypad is kinda small, overall its a beaut.

Posted by aaron on July 17, 2007 at 8:56 PM (PDT)

You should really get the RIZR Z3. I own this GSM Quad Band Slider phone and it is great. 2 Megapixel Camera, Comes in Black,Red,Blue. I believe it is EDGE compatible. It does only have the Motorola Digital Audio Player, but it isnt that bad. You can get it for about $200, Its really a great phone

Posted by Matt on July 18, 2007 at 5:23 PM (PDT)

my friend wanted me to get a Rizer but I chose a KRZR

Posted by KRZR Buyer on August 10, 2007 at 7:07 AM (PDT)

I cannot get my KRZR to play .wma files.

Posted by ben on August 24, 2007 at 6:27 AM (PDT)

well ii have a krzr since march and it is perfectly good! it has even fell down a couple of times!  a lot of people say because of it’s width it’s not durable and i sooooooooo oppose that! if i can keep a phone like that for 5 months and it’s still perfectly good—- anyone can!

Posted by chelsea on October 1, 2007 at 4:14 PM (PDT)

i have a KRZR ! it’s wayyyyyy better than the RAZR. the keypad doesn’t feel very small at all. it feels normal to me and i don’t really care about how long it is. it makes no difference. the razr is too fat and is way too short and stubby. go for the KRZR. it is totally way better.

Posted by morgan on March 27, 2008 at 2:22 PM (PDT)