Motorola KRZR arrives
My friends call me a “phone whore.” I change cell phones at least two or three times a year, never sticking with one for very long. The latest switch is to Motorola’s new KRZR K1, which just arrived today. In fact, the KRZR just started shipping out of Asia last week, according to my phone importer, so don’t expect to see it in stores for a couple more weeks or months. I’m switching from a standard RAZR, which I went back to from a disappointing RAZR V3i. Below are some quick thoughts and a small gallery of photos of the new device compared to the RAZR.
- The KRZR is noticeably narrower than the RAZR, but also a little thicker and longer. There’s no real size innovation here—it feels like Motorola is using the same internal components, but just rearranged them a bit.
- I don’t hate the “Cosmic Blue” as much as I thought I would, but I still wouldn’t pick it if I had any other color choice. The CDMA model comes in a dark gray/black which I like a lot better. But knowing Motorola, you can expect a rainbow of colors over the next year or two.
- The main screen is really bright and crisp. The external screen seems about the same as the RAZR.
- The 2-megapixel camera is better than the RAZR and RAZR V3i, though not as great as I had hoped. A sample of the KRZR’s photo quality, compared to the RAZR and RAZR V3i, can be seen here. Note that all of the photos were scaled down from their original sizes to 640x480 (the KRZR’s pics are 1600x1200 at full size).
- The interface is super fast. Not sure if it’s completely new, but it looks tons better than the RAZR’s interface and is much snappier.
- Like all shiny gadgets, fingerprints are an issue. The KRZR has a mirror-like finish that will make you want to keep a microfiber cloth with you at all times. I’ve only had the phone for a couple hours, yet it looks like 40 or 50 people have already handled it.
- It can play MPEG-4 video and MP3/AAC music files, but with no iTunes I’m not even bothering. The internal speaker, however, is rather loud and much clearer than the RAZR. MP3 ringtones sound great.
- It feels better in your hand when closed, but not as good when open and using as the RAZR. Though, it is easier to find the speaker with your ear on the KRZR. The screen hinge feels much more sturdier when opening and closing.
- It’s got a Transflash (microSD) slot, which can easily be confused with the SIM card slot. And why do companies insist on the super-flimsy USB port covers? The tiny one on the KRZR should last, oh, until about 10 am tomorrow before it breaks off.
- KRZR? Seriously? Please give up the four-letter, ALL CAPS naming scheme, Motorola.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?