New for Mac, Expressionist Classic + SeeThru Satin
As mentioned in the Backstage entry below, I’m fresh back from a brief vacation, and as of this afternoon, finally finished digging through the huge pile of iPod and iPhone items that arrived while I was out of town. That brings us to the smaller Mac pile, specifically, two new accessories from Altec Lansing and Speck.
We are especially interested in Altec’s new offering. Expressionist Classic ($80) is a pair of three-inch speaker drivers inside of translucent clear and opaque black plastic frames. The reason this grabbed us isn’t the simple, two-channel audio, but the combination of an attractive price tag and legitimately cool industrial design. Expressionist Classic looks a lot like the other components on our main glass and metal Mac desk, except for one surprise: the plastic is for some reason smoke gray rather than completely clear as shown on Altec’s web site. We’ll have more to say on this, and the previously-released Expressionist Bass, soon.
SeeThru Satin ($50) is Speck’s entry into the soft touch rubber-coated plastic hardshell game, following similar designs from Incase. New versions have just been released for the late 2008 MacBook and MacBook Pro models, and we’re currently playing with a black one on the 13” aluminum MacBook. For reasons we’ll share in an upcoming Backstage piece, the InvisibleShield has been removed from the MacBook after a few weeks of service, making some form of protection again desirable. Interestingly, Satin came with an orange cleaning cloth and instructions to remove the sand and debris that Speck apparently knew would be found inside its own packaging after the shell was opened.
More pictures of both of these new items can be found by clicking on the title of this article, or on Read More below. Details will soon follow.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Hackers claim to have access to millions of iCloud accounts, demand ransom from Apple
- Apple’s Siri in the running to voice control room functions at Marriott’s Aloft hotels
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple introduces Clips video app
- Apple reveals(RED) iPhone 7, 7 Plus models, doubles storage of iPhone SE
- Apple drops 32GB iPad mini 4, reduces price of 128GB model and discontinues iPad mini 2
- Apple unveils new upgraded entry-level 9.7” iPad, replacing iPad Air 2
- Apple Store going down for ‘maintenance’ tomorrow morning, sparking rumors of product launch
- Politicians in New Zealand raise alarm about Apple’s tax arrangements
- Fabricate announces Nearbuds for AirPods
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10