New for Mac, Expressionist Classic + SeeThru Satin
As mentioned in the Backstage entry below, I’m fresh back from a brief vacation, and as of this afternoon, finally finished digging through the huge pile of iPod and iPhone items that arrived while I was out of town. That brings us to the smaller Mac pile, specifically, two new accessories from Altec Lansing and Speck.
We are especially interested in Altec’s new offering. Expressionist Classic ($80) is a pair of three-inch speaker drivers inside of translucent clear and opaque black plastic frames. The reason this grabbed us isn’t the simple, two-channel audio, but the combination of an attractive price tag and legitimately cool industrial design. Expressionist Classic looks a lot like the other components on our main glass and metal Mac desk, except for one surprise: the plastic is for some reason smoke gray rather than completely clear as shown on Altec’s web site. We’ll have more to say on this, and the previously-released Expressionist Bass, soon.
SeeThru Satin ($50) is Speck’s entry into the soft touch rubber-coated plastic hardshell game, following similar designs from Incase. New versions have just been released for the late 2008 MacBook and MacBook Pro models, and we’re currently playing with a black one on the 13” aluminum MacBook. For reasons we’ll share in an upcoming Backstage piece, the InvisibleShield has been removed from the MacBook after a few weeks of service, making some form of protection again desirable. Interestingly, Satin came with an orange cleaning cloth and instructions to remove the sand and debris that Speck apparently knew would be found inside its own packaging after the shell was opened.
More pictures of both of these new items can be found by clicking on the title of this article, or on Read More below. Details will soon follow.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Amazon Video app update lets Prime users download movies, TV shows for offline viewing
- Report: Apple considering move into original programming
- Malware steals 225,000+ Apple account logins from jailbroken iPhones
- Apple announces partnership with Cisco for iOS business users
- Report: New Apple TV to support Bluetooth gaming controllers
- Google releases iOS app that links some Android Wear watches to newer iPhones
- Apple to make Apple Camp program available year-round
- Apple hiring ex-Microsoft employee hints at augmented reality plans
- Judge limits further filings in patent case between Apple and Samsung
- Report: New Apple TV less than $200, arriving in October
- Odoyo KickStand Charging Dock for Apple Watch
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?