New for Mac, Expressionist Classic + SeeThru Satin
As mentioned in the Backstage entry below, I’m fresh back from a brief vacation, and as of this afternoon, finally finished digging through the huge pile of iPod and iPhone items that arrived while I was out of town. That brings us to the smaller Mac pile, specifically, two new accessories from Altec Lansing and Speck.
We are especially interested in Altec’s new offering. Expressionist Classic ($80) is a pair of three-inch speaker drivers inside of translucent clear and opaque black plastic frames. The reason this grabbed us isn’t the simple, two-channel audio, but the combination of an attractive price tag and legitimately cool industrial design. Expressionist Classic looks a lot like the other components on our main glass and metal Mac desk, except for one surprise: the plastic is for some reason smoke gray rather than completely clear as shown on Altec’s web site. We’ll have more to say on this, and the previously-released Expressionist Bass, soon.
SeeThru Satin ($50) is Speck’s entry into the soft touch rubber-coated plastic hardshell game, following similar designs from Incase. New versions have just been released for the late 2008 MacBook and MacBook Pro models, and we’re currently playing with a black one on the 13” aluminum MacBook. For reasons we’ll share in an upcoming Backstage piece, the InvisibleShield has been removed from the MacBook after a few weeks of service, making some form of protection again desirable. Interestingly, Satin came with an orange cleaning cloth and instructions to remove the sand and debris that Speck apparently knew would be found inside its own packaging after the shell was opened.
More pictures of both of these new items can be found by clicking on the title of this article, or on Read More below. Details will soon follow.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!