On iPod Names + Goodbye, iPod “touch?”
Brief thought: Apple introduced the iPod touch name back in 2007 to distinguish the sole touchscreen-based model in its iPod lineup from other devices that were Click Wheel- (iPod classic/nano) and button- (iPod shuffle) based. What happens when there’s a low-end touchscreen iPod in the family—is the iPod touch name really necessary any more? Apple axed “photo” from iPod photo when it “merged” the iPod and iPod photo lines some years ago, and surely wouldn’t hesitate to do the same thing for the iPod touch at some point—particularly when the touchscreen feature has trickled down to another model. A return to the classic iPod name would be easy enough, given that there’s no confusing it at this point with the well-worn “iPod classic” moniker.
Also, even if no one’s quite sure whether to call the shuffle-like iPod nano “the sixth-generation iPod nano,” the “fourth-generation shuffle,” the “third-generation iPod mini,” or the “first-generation iPod micro,” we all know a couple of things. First, Apple’s not going to call a touchscreen iPod nano the “iPod touch nano.” Second, an iPod stops being a “shuffle” if it gets a screen… right?... which means that either “nano” or a new name for the tiny device seems likely.
We think that the iPod name game is going to be an interesting part of the Apple event this week. What do you think?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- AT&T locks Apple SIM cards upon activation in iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- iTunes music sales down at least 13 percent worldwide
- iPad Air 2 includes NFC chip, but likely won’t be used (Updated)
- Apps of the Week: Inbox by Gmail, Pixelmator, NHL 2K + more
- iPad mini 3 unboxing and comparison gallery posted
- iPad Air 2 Control Center features separate mute and rotation buttons
- GT Advanced announces settlement with Apple
- iPad Air 2 ships with 10W power adapter
- Olloclip debuts 4-in-1 Photo Lens for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus
- iFixit posts iPad Air 2 teardown
- Speck MightyShell for iPhone 6
- Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor
- Just Mobile Xtand Go Z1
- PowerSkin Pop’n 2 for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- APC M5BK + M10BK 5000/10000mAh Mobile Power Packs
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller
- Hex Icon Wallet and Solo Wallet for iPhone 6
- SwitchEasy 0.35, LifePocket + Numbers for iPhone 6
- GE Link Connected LED Bulb + Wink Hub
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0