On iPod Names + Goodbye, iPod “touch?” | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

On iPod Names + Goodbye, iPod “touch?”

Brief thought: Apple introduced the iPod touch name back in 2007 to distinguish the sole touchscreen-based model in its iPod lineup from other devices that were Click Wheel- (iPod classic/nano) and button- (iPod shuffle) based. What happens when there’s a low-end touchscreen iPod in the family—is the iPod touch name really necessary any more? Apple axed “photo” from iPod photo when it “merged” the iPod and iPod photo lines some years ago, and surely wouldn’t hesitate to do the same thing for the iPod touch at some point—particularly when the touchscreen feature has trickled down to another model. A return to the classic iPod name would be easy enough, given that there’s no confusing it at this point with the well-worn “iPod classic” moniker.

Also, even if no one’s quite sure whether to call the shuffle-like iPod nano “the sixth-generation iPod nano,” the “fourth-generation shuffle,” the “third-generation iPod mini,” or the “first-generation iPod micro,” we all know a couple of things. First, Apple’s not going to call a touchscreen iPod nano the “iPod touch nano.” Second, an iPod stops being a “shuffle” if it gets a screen… right?... which means that either “nano” or a new name for the tiny device seems likely.

We think that the iPod name game is going to be an interesting part of the Apple event this week. What do you think?

« How iPod nanoshuffle Might Look

Sources Speculate On 2010 iPod + Apple TV Family Changes »

Comments

If Apple discontinues the classic, I think that would clear the way for the touch to simply be called the iPod, with the nano being a smaller touchscreen device.

I don’t think the current shuffle is as big of a sales hit as previous incarnations, and if that’s discontinued or merged into the nano line, it would make sense for Apple to simplify the nomenclature.

Posted by cxc273 on August 30, 2010 at 2:19 PM (CDT)

iPod micro - replaces the nano, continues the theme of “really small” names.

The touch becomes either “iPod” (marketed as “the new iPod” for a bit), or iPod 4 (even though, technically, it would be the 6th high-end iPod marketed as simply “iPod”, regardless of the fact that it IS the 4th touch).

iPod micro, iPod (4), iPhone 4. Nice and simple.

Posted by Matt Bonney on August 30, 2010 at 2:28 PM (CDT)

Hopefully Apple will discontinue the Classic since they aren’t really doing anything to improve it. That might give competitors like iRiver, Archos, Creative or Cowon an incentive to get back into the high-capacity MP3 player game. No offense to Apple - I love all of the features they’ve managed to pack into the iPhone - but the iPod’s mass-market appeal killed off some great audio-only players that features-wise, knocked the socks off the iPod Classic. Granted, most people don’t want a dedicated audio-only device with a gazillion audiophile settings or a half-terabyte of storage. But that doesn’t mean none of us does.

Posted by Paul on August 30, 2010 at 7:20 PM (CDT)

But I like my classic :(

It’s the only thing that holds all my data (no I’m not going to select a subset everyday, may as well get a shuffle for that).

And I can operate the hardware controls when it’s in my pocket.  Or on my dashboard.  The touch is frustrating for that.

Posted by Craig on August 31, 2010 at 1:08 AM (CDT)

Posted by BeefJerky on August 31, 2010 at 2:12 AM (CDT)

Apple will announce a 64GB and 128GB iPod tomorrow which are essentially iPhone 4 without the phone or an iPod Touch with 2 cameras, facetime, 720P video, and a flash. iPod Classic will be discontinued and replaced by the iPod Touch line which will now simply be called iPod.

Posted by HB_Dad on August 31, 2010 at 3:04 PM (CDT)

“Removing Touch from the name and going back to plain old iPod may confuse half the planet who seem determined to call it an iTouch.”

Posted by Dave on August 31, 2010 at 3:57 PM (CDT)

I too think the new “iPod touch” replacement will likely be called just the “iPod”, or at least “touch” will be de-emphasized somehow now that the Nano looks to be becoming a touch-based device.  “iPod” is a great brand name, and Apple does not want it to become known as the “iTouch” as an increasing number of people have called it over the years.

Apple does want to be able to say that iOS runs on iPads, iPhones, and iPods (and iTV/whatever) without having to specify *which* iPod.

BTW, if the Classic does continue, what will it be?  What makes it “classic”, the hard drive (and resulting higher capacity) or the scroll wheel?  Or both?

Posted by Lee on September 1, 2010 at 12:27 AM (CDT)

Honestly it really annoys me when somebody calls an iPod Touch and “iTouch”! I almost cringe when it happens.

Posted by Jonathan Sanchez on September 1, 2010 at 1:03 AM (CDT)

Maybe they’ll officially name it the iTouch? He he.

Posted by Dyvim on September 1, 2010 at 11:11 AM (CDT)

“One of my eyes involuntary twitches every time someone says “iTouch.” I’m not sure why, but I absolutely hate that mispronunciation. I think it’s akin to someone saying iZune, Nintendo Wii 360, P3S, Windows 6, or Linus operating system.”

Altought you´re correct, in Apple´s eyes they will call it iTouch if their PR department thinks that iTouch is a selling name, unfortunately the name of a product will not be “tech-dirven” but instead “marketing-driven” and Apple doest that in a marvelous way.

Posted by Gustavo N on September 1, 2010 at 12:45 PM (CDT)