On John McCain and the iPod
Democratic Party Presidential Nominee Barack Obama has an iPod, and he’s not afraid to tell you what’s on it—nor were George Bush, Laura Bush, Hillary Clinton, U.K. Prime Minister Gordon Brown, or other iPod-loving politicians. But how about Republican Party Nominee John McCain? He hasn’t been quite as enthusiastic. Since iLounge’s editors include some Republicans and some Democrats, we were curious enough to contact Mr. McCain’s campaign with a couple of simple questions: does he have an iPod or iPhone? If so, what’s in his personal playlists? Thus far, there’s been no answer.
According to CNN today, Mr. McCain is a self-described computer “illiterate,” and iLounge reader comments seem to assume the worst about how out of touch he must be because of his age: a couple of readers suggested that he needed to “reveal the contents of his 78 rpm record collection,” and that “he wishes Hollywood would stop making talkies and go back to silents.” But as CNN’s video shows, age isn’t the issue; it’s the desire to be in touch with technology. Some long-serving politicians—and even grandmotherly Queen Elizabeth—have apparently asked for iPod assistance from more tech-savvy family members, and the CNN interview shows that the Republican Nominee leans on his Blackberry-toting wife for computer support, so it wouldn’t be impossible for the man to have and use an iPod even if computers are too challenging.
There seems to be some evidence that he does. One report placed him on a campaign bus in South Carolina telling reporters that he has an iPod with ABBA on it, while a separate Time Magazine report suggests that he unsuccessfully tried to get a voice-commanded Ford iPod system to play ABBA tracks. Perhaps it’s not a distaste for computers or a lack of an iPod, after all—maybe he’s said as much as needs to be said on the topic of his musical preferences.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- AT&T locks Apple SIM cards upon activation in iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- iTunes music sales down at least 13 percent worldwide
- iPad Air 2 includes NFC chip, but likely won’t be used (Updated)
- Apps of the Week: Inbox by Gmail, Pixelmator, NHL 2K + more
- iPad mini 3 unboxing and comparison gallery posted
- iPad Air 2 Control Center features separate mute and rotation buttons
- GT Advanced announces settlement with Apple
- iPad Air 2 ships with 10W power adapter
- Olloclip debuts 4-in-1 Photo Lens for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus
- iFixit posts iPad Air 2 teardown
- Speck MightyShell for iPhone 6
- Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor
- Just Mobile Xtand Go Z1
- PowerSkin Pop’n 2 for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- APC M5BK + M10BK 5000/10000mAh Mobile Power Packs
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller
- Hex Icon Wallet and Solo Wallet for iPhone 6
- SwitchEasy 0.35, LifePocket + Numbers for iPhone 6
- GE Link Connected LED Bulb + Wink Hub
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0