On the New Late 2009 Mac Lineup
Though the rumors were obviously out there some time ago—and generally accurate—everyone is still sort of shellshocked by the tidal wave of Apple Mac announcements from earlier today—the new iMac and MacBook, the new Mac mini, Magic Mouse, and the comparatively minor Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme and Apple Remote stuff. So I’ll just say briefly what’s on our collective minds right now:
There wasn’t a detail missed in the new iMacs—the right prices for bigger screens, better processors, and finally a replacement for that damned Mighty Mouse, one that looks like a super cool update to the classic transparent one-button Apple mouse I’ve kept using for years. Quad-core in and of itself would have been big news, but 27”? Wow. Wow. The new plastic MacBooks are neat, too; I played with one earlier today and was generally pretty impressed, particularly with the fully rubberized bottom that will finally get rid of all those glossy plastic surface scratches. As its power adapter has changed, it looks like MagSafes are all heading towards the MacBook Air- and Cinema-Display-style metal connectors with side-angled cables for strain relief, too. And the Mac mini, Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme and Apple Remote news? All welcome, though not earthshattering.
This is going to be an insane holiday season for Apple. And deservedly so. Glad to see the announcements actually happen today after all that waiting.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: iOS 9 will bring new security features, improve legacy device support
- Report: Apple’s push for local content may delay Apple’s TV service
- Adobe dropping Photoshop Touch in favor of more focused apps
- Report: Dual app viewing, multiple logins coming to iPad
- Transit coming to Apple Maps in iOS 9?
- Apple and IBM expand MobileFirst apps to Apple Watch
- Report: Pebble facing financial struggles?
- iOS 9 to include new Home app for HomeKit?
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Watch font to iOS 9
- Leak reveals Flow by Outlook, a Microsoft email messaging app for iPhone
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?