On the New Late 2009 Mac Lineup
Though the rumors were obviously out there some time ago—and generally accurate—everyone is still sort of shellshocked by the tidal wave of Apple Mac announcements from earlier today—the new iMac and MacBook, the new Mac mini, Magic Mouse, and the comparatively minor Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme and Apple Remote stuff. So I’ll just say briefly what’s on our collective minds right now:
There wasn’t a detail missed in the new iMacs—the right prices for bigger screens, better processors, and finally a replacement for that damned Mighty Mouse, one that looks like a super cool update to the classic transparent one-button Apple mouse I’ve kept using for years. Quad-core in and of itself would have been big news, but 27”? Wow. Wow. The new plastic MacBooks are neat, too; I played with one earlier today and was generally pretty impressed, particularly with the fully rubberized bottom that will finally get rid of all those glossy plastic surface scratches. As its power adapter has changed, it looks like MagSafes are all heading towards the MacBook Air- and Cinema-Display-style metal connectors with side-angled cables for strain relief, too. And the Mac mini, Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme and Apple Remote news? All welcome, though not earthshattering.
This is going to be an insane holiday season for Apple. And deservedly so. Glad to see the announcements actually happen today after all that waiting.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Google releases iOS app that links some Android Wear watches to newer iPhones
- Apple to make Apple Camp program available year-round
- Apple hiring ex-Microsoft employee hints at augmented reality plans
- Judge limits further filings in patent case between Apple and Samsung
- Report: New Apple TV less than $200, arriving in October
- Apple to drop first-gen Apple TV, iPod classic support as of Sept 8th
- New Apple TV to feature motion sensitive remote
- Media companies balk at $40/mo. plan for Apple TV service
- Former Beats Music CEO Ian Rogers leaves Apple
- Apple partners with PayAnywhere for Apple Pay
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?