On the New Late 2009 Mac Lineup
Though the rumors were obviously out there some time ago—and generally accurate—everyone is still sort of shellshocked by the tidal wave of Apple Mac announcements from earlier today—the new iMac and MacBook, the new Mac mini, Magic Mouse, and the comparatively minor Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme and Apple Remote stuff. So I’ll just say briefly what’s on our collective minds right now:
There wasn’t a detail missed in the new iMacs—the right prices for bigger screens, better processors, and finally a replacement for that damned Mighty Mouse, one that looks like a super cool update to the classic transparent one-button Apple mouse I’ve kept using for years. Quad-core in and of itself would have been big news, but 27”? Wow. Wow. The new plastic MacBooks are neat, too; I played with one earlier today and was generally pretty impressed, particularly with the fully rubberized bottom that will finally get rid of all those glossy plastic surface scratches. As its power adapter has changed, it looks like MagSafes are all heading towards the MacBook Air- and Cinema-Display-style metal connectors with side-angled cables for strain relief, too. And the Mac mini, Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme and Apple Remote news? All welcome, though not earthshattering.
This is going to be an insane holiday season for Apple. And deservedly so. Glad to see the announcements actually happen today after all that waiting.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Some Apple Music and iTunes Match services may be illegal in the U.K.
- Australian banks accused of anti-competitive behavior over Apple Pay lockout
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?