Our big Monday announcement
We originally created Backstage in part as a place to provide advance looks at new iLounge developments, but we’ve been quiet on that for a while. Today’s an exception.
On Monday, we’re going to be announcing a major but positive shift in the focus of our product reviews. We’ve been discussing some of the core ideas internally for a while, but our recent visits to CES and Macworld in San Francisco convinced us that change - big change - is necessary, right now.
The problem can be summed up like this: the iPod accessory market is currently being flooded with crap. Eight months or so ago, it became obvious to anyone with a pulse that the iPod was only going to keep on growing in popularity, and that there was a lot of money to be made in selling accessories. To capitalize on the iPod’s success, a number of overseas manufacturers began to mass-manufacture and commoditize everything from cases to cables, then moved to car and wall chargers, batteries and Bluetooth accessories. Most recently, the same companies have started to develop docks and speaker systems. As a consequence, the influx of me-too iPod accessories has become literally overwhelming. Apple announced in September that there were then over 1,000 iPod accessories available. Yesterday - four months later - the company said the number is now over 2,000.
There’s good and bad in this. The good: there’s a lot of competition, and simple iPod accessories can become very affordable. The bad: anyone who wants to become an “iPod accessory company” can do so virtually overnight, and consumers are today confronted by hundreds of choices, many of them poor. Even good iPod accessory manufacturers have acknowledged, in so many words, that the climate is now “buyer beware.” You, the reader, are the buyer. And there’s something very wrong from our perspective when buyers have to beware.
If we haven’t made the point well enough already, please know that iLounge’s editors are deeply devoted to our readers, in ways that we have not previously publicized. On Monday, we’re going to lay it all out for you and explain the “whats” and “whys” behind the steps we have taken, and will be taking. Stay tuned.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple Q4 earnings call coming October 20
- European magazine gets blacklisted by Apple for posting “Bendgate” video
- “Reset All Settings” in iOS 8 may also erase iCloud Drive content
- Apple’s tax deal in Ireland may be illegal according to EU regulators
- Apple releases first iOS 8.1 beta to developers
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus hit China Oct. 17, pre-orders Oct. 10
- Report: iOS 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 in simultaneous development
- French fashion retailer Colette to hold in-store Apple event
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Apps of the Week: OmniFocus 2 for iPad, Transmit, Asphalt Overdrive + more
- Griffin Survivor All-Terrain, Core, and Slim for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Griffin Identity, Reveal cases for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Orbotix Ollie by Sphero
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic HD
- JBL Charge 2 Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2 In-Ear Headphones
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Speck CandyShell, Card, Grip + Inked cases for iPhone 6
- Incipio DualPro Shine, Edge for iPhone 6 + NGP for iPhone 6 Plus
- PureGear DualTek Extreme Shock Case, HIP Case+ and Slim Shell for iPhone 6
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More