Patience Isn’t My Virtue (Or, Caving and Buying iPod touch) | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Patience Isn’t My Virtue (Or, Caving and Buying iPod touch)

By Bob Levens

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, October 12, 2007
Backstage Categories:

Last month, I posted a small piece titled “The iPhone, the iPod touch and me,” which ended with me quoting the adage, “patience is a virtue.” In the time since then, I am afraid to admit that my virtue failed. I buckled and went and purchased a 16GB iPod touch. Price: £269 (currently $547 US).

image

Spending a few minutes using one in my nearest Apple Store was the start of the decline in my virtue and after much ruminating on the subject I decided to order one. I had been following the stories of the negative black problem and some reports of poor audio quality on some units, so I was a little apprehensive that I would receive a doubly duff unit. Add to this the stories of dead/stuck pixels on screens surfacing, and I was wondering about the wisdom of my decision.

I can report that the iPod touch that arrived the other day seems to be free of all the problems being reported in the iLounge iPod touch forums. That doesn’t mean that I gave it an easy pass without doing tests. A site called Appleservedup offers a test that seems to be a reasonable way to detect screen issues with the iPhone. I found that the images rendered on my iPod touch were pretty close in ‘quality’ to those displayed on my iMac. No stuck or dead pixels. And the audio (using my Shure E500s) is close to, if not the same, as my 5G iPod.

All in a “week 39” iPod touch. Am I lucky? I guess I am, as I’ve read about “week 40” units also having “issues”.

I am still impressed with the GUI of the iPod touch, and the physical dimensions of the device make it ideal for slipping into a jacket pocket, with less of the bulk of the 5G iPod I have been using. It’s obviously not as small as my nano, but then iPod touch does a little bit more than the nano does.

image

While slimmer than my 5G, the touch does fit snugly into the older ProClip car mount I have in my car, and connects to the Griffin iTrip Auto with no problems. And this is where the touch may actually earn its keep. The display is so much better for me: I don’t wear glasses for distance/driving, so the easy to see aspect of the touch controls makes it ideal for me to use while driving. Titles are big enough to read without having to rummage for my reading glasses, and scrolling seems to be more suited to driving than the scrollwheel on the 5G. A flick of the finger is all it takes. I can adjust the ProClip mount to allow me to mount the ‘touch’ in such a way that I can navigate through the contents using the Cover Flow method. Having failed to find a decent method of integrating an iPod into my Volvo, this might prove to be a decent compromise until I either replace the car or something else is developed.

My next decision is whether to try the UK Wi-Fi service provided by The Cloud, which is £3.99 a month with no minimum contract. Cambridge has at present 54 Cloud hotspots, so finding one should be easy. Add to this the recent announcement that almost 1,200 McDonalds restaurants in the UK will be providing free Wi-Fi. Maybe I will be able to use touch’s wireless features outside of my house after all.

« Repair Needed: iPhone Cannot Make or Receive Calls [updated]

Starbucks’ iTunes Digital Releases and Plus 2 Cards »

Comments

I see you’re a Muse fan. smile

Posted by Jason D on October 12, 2007 at 4:56 PM (PDT)

and a Massive Attack fan smile

Posted by yinyang on October 12, 2007 at 6:39 PM (PDT)

If you guys want 30 bucks off the iPod touch at Target, Order it online and use this coupon code! Hope I helped! “TGTAFLAF” Maake sure you take of the “” in the code before you enter it! =)

Posted by Cameron on October 13, 2007 at 2:00 PM (PDT)

I got a sense of deja vue reading this. I too was going to skip the touch, especially after iLounge’s review and Bob’s original comments. But, like Bob, I weakened ... in New York last week I bought a 16Gb unit from the Apple 5th Avenus store (and what a yuk experience that was!). I feel slightly better because at £399 + tax it was only £200, somewhat less than the UK list. Like Bob I think it’s really good, no problems.

Posted by drevo_uk in UK on October 15, 2007 at 4:23 AM (PDT)

Oops! I meant $399 = £200! Good value.

Posted by drevo_uk in UK on October 15, 2007 at 4:48 AM (PDT)

im soo glad you like the touch - it looks wonderful
however i am worried that in a years time a better, 30GB model will emerge and all the faults we compromised for to have the touch will be in vain!
But this is an argument for any piece of tchnology - especially Apple!

Posted by ipodluva on October 15, 2007 at 7:59 AM (PDT)

drevo_uk,
I had thought about holding out until I travel to MWSF but the little gadgetdevil sitting on my left shoulder won. Yeah I could have saved £69 or thereabouts but my luck at the airport on the way back just has to run out soon!

Having the touch meanwhile may just convince me to get the iPhone 2 when it comes out (3G + 16/30 GB…)

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on October 15, 2007 at 10:50 AM (PDT)

Ever since reading your review, and the proclip caught my attention, so I am going to order the proclip. I went to the website and didn’t see any holders for iPod Touch, so the iphone holder will hold the touch with no problem?

Posted by katherine on October 24, 2007 at 6:11 AM (PDT)

katherine,
The iPhone is thicker than the iPod touch so should fit without a problem. Using the mount for the 4G iPod works for the touch as there is a flexible ‘plate’ which presses against the back of the iPod and this exerts enough pressure on the touch to hold it against the front lip of the holder.

I would imagine that the iPhone will fit just as well. I know if I ever get the iPhone I’m hoping the ProClip mount will still get used.
Drop ProClip an email - they were really helpful when I met them at MacWorld - I’m sure they will advise which mount to get.

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on October 24, 2007 at 11:06 AM (PDT)

Bob

I’m with you on a 3G iPhone2! The prospect of putting up with O2’s patchy EDGE coverage is too horrible to contemplate (although I did get a surprise the other day when my Blackberry showed its EDGE flag at my home in Ely, Cambs). There again, their 3G coverage is even worse…!

Not impressed to date with The Cloud’s wi-fi coverage. Useless in my home city, not much better elsewhere so far.

Posted by drevo_uk in UK on October 29, 2007 at 7:34 AM (PDT)

When the iPod touch first came out, I was hesitant, and didn’t know its full potential. I played around with one at the apple store, and absolutely LOVED it. I use it religiously now.

Oh, and hacking it opens sooooo many more possibilities!

Posted by Dave on December 15, 2007 at 9:42 PM (PDT)