(Please Don’t) Mind the Gap
I don’t focus much on Mac product releases, but something about today’s new Mac Pro introduction surprised me:
That big new price gap between the iMac and Mac Pro—the one that used to be smaller, when the standard configuration of Mac Pro started at $2,499 as opposed to the $2,799 Apple upped it to today. Is Apple making room between the iMac and the Mac Pro for another Cube-like entry (which infamously shipped at $1,799 and $2,299 prices before seeing big, iPhone-style price cuts down to $1,499, then $1,299)? Or is the $1,000 stated price gap between the iMac and Mac Pro an illusion, due to Apple’s marketing of the 8-core Mac Pro as its “standard” model rather than focusing on the single still available 4-core model?
We’ll see when the Apple Store goes back up. And at Macworld Expo next week.
Update: The Apple Store’s back, and completely de-emphasizing the now $2,299 four-core Mac Pro. As Apple frequently offers BTO options at prices different from the traditional “good, better, best” ones, consider the jury still out on this one.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple acquires speech tech startup VocalIQ
- iPhone 6s more water-resistant than previous models
- Apple CEO Tim Cook talks privacy to NPR
- Amazon to ban sale of Apple TV
- Former Boeing CFO James Bell elected to Apple’s Board of Directors
- Apple releases iOS 9.1 beta 3 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 9.0.2
- Cook urges businesses, governments to address social problems
- A note on our iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus case reviews
- Apple pulls app that documented US drone strikes
- Spigen Perfect Armor for iPhone 6s, Slim/Tough Armor for iPhone 6s Plus
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Speck CandyShell Clear and CandyShell Inked Jonathan Adler for iPhone 6/6s
- BenQ treVolo Bluetooth Portable Electrostatic Speaker
- iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- TrackR bravo
- Apple iPad mini 4 Silicone Case + Smart Cover
- Apple iPad mini 4
- Fluance Fi50 Bluetooth speaker
- Ultimate Ears UE Boom 2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?