Post-Vacation Changes, or, The Koi Pond
Thanks perhaps to the economy, or what I was doing while in each location over the past two weeks, my visits to Seattle and Hawaii felt more like work than vacation time. But I did have a few free moments to think about where iLounge should be going in the future, and where the iPod and iPhone are and will be going forward.
Over the past three or four years, we have collectively watched as Apple’s devices—arguably pinnacles of design and thoughtfulness, albeit imperfect ones—have been surrounded by tons of garbage. The first wave was in poorly made cases and chargers; the second in me-too, OEM speakers and electronics; today, the third is in piles and piles of forgettable, demo-quality applications. Behind the scenes, hundreds or thousands of iPod and iPhone developers are now praying for your attention and your dollars, hoping that you will help them become millionaires or multimillionaires at a time when the global economy is in frightening shape. It is a koi pond, but overloaded with fish.
Back when the iPod had few accessories, covering virtually everything seemed to be a good idea. But after the first wave or two of garbage began to flood our offices, we decided that we were not going to give equal time to everything out there; merit would become a key criterion for coverage, and junk would begin to disappear from our pages. Amongst other things, we created iDesign to focus on the industry’s best practices, and started to ban companies from coverage if they engaged in shady marketing practices to our readers, like posting anonymous comments praising their own products. We also started booting obnoxious commenters rather than letting them ruin the party for everyone else.
Now, a similar reconsideration of the iPod and iPhone worlds is in order, and I’m in the process of determining what will and won’t be a part of iLounge’s coverage going forward. We’re preparing to bring on a new editor in the very near future, and it would help to know what you’d like to see so that we can plan our future coverage accordingly.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: Apple to debut ‘iPad Pro’ on Sept. 9
- iPhone 6S to use 7000 series aluminum from Apple Watch Sport
- CBS Sports to stream Super Bowl 50, select NFL games on Apple TV
- Report: New Apple TV gets A8 chip, but not 4K support
- Report: New Apple TV will feature universal search, cost $149
- Retrial for damages in Apple patent case set for March or April
- Google omits HealthKit support from Android Wear iOS app
- Apple eyed Bill Simmons for exclusive podcast deal
- Amazon Video app update lets Prime users download movies, TV shows for offline viewing
- Report: Apple considering move into original programming
- IK Multimedia iKlip Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Odoyo KickStand Charging Dock for Apple Watch
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?