Pro-MacBook Marware protects handrests, bodies
We’re already well-familiar with Marware’s support for the iPod family, and as we’ve noted, impressed with the company’s most recent redesigns of its Sportsuit line of cases. This week, we finally got our hands on Sportfolio Deluxe cases for the MacBook and MacBook Pro, which incorporate the best touches from the SportSuits into strap- or handle-carried laptop bags. Marware obviously loves portable Apple hardware, and these new designs show it.
The boldest part of each Sportfolio is the new and cool Orca neoprene front pocket, which showed up in the Sportsuits and really caught our attention. Rather than looking like Spandex, the Orca neoprene is something between matte and shiny, approximating the texture of Orca whale skin, and makes a much nicer visual impression. Black and blue versions are available - our samples were in the more business-ready but less camera-friendly black, which in all candor we’d prefer to carry around for our own use. And three sizes are available, ones made specifically for the 13” MacBook and the 15” MacBook Pro sell for $80 each, while the 17” MacBook Pro’s version sells for $90.
Besides the obligatory zippered laptop pocket, a second pocket in each of the cases opens to reveal a bunch of expandable compartments, each with icons suggesting what can fit inside. One is battery or AV cable-sized, another Apple Remote-sized, a central pocket is iPod, camera, or mouse-ready, while the last is charger-sized. A loop above the central pocket has a spot that lets you attach your Marware and Multidapt clip-garbed iPod case if you prefer to keep your iPod double-encased on the road, and a pass-through hole on the case’s top lets you run headphones from the bag to your ears without opening a zipper. Additional zippered compartments on the inside and outside of the back provide plenty of room for other goodies you might be carrying
Also in the box: Protection Packs ($20) for the 13” MacBook and 15” MacBook Pro. Each includes a microfiber keyboard cover that doubles as a screen cleaning cloth, and a “PVC leather” cushioned adhesive hand rest that’s custom-fit to each machine. The phrase Protection Pack has taken on a dual meaning given numerous complaints of MacBook discoloration around that model’s hand rests, and the glossy shield on that model’s default screens. Marware makes the Protection Pack in white or black for the MacBook, and gray (shown) for the MacBook Pro.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Cook ‘deeply offended’ by BBC allegations
- BBC investigative report claims Apple fails to protect Chinese workers
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Tim Cook announces $20M raised for (PRODUCT)RED in internal e-mail
- Apple announces 64-bit and iOS 8 requirements for app updates
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple halts online sales in Russia
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Apple Pay cards represent 90 percent of US credit purchase volume; Samsung readying rival service
- Apps of the Week: Microsoft’s MSN apps
- STM Dux for iPhone 6
- Kenu Stance Compact Tripod for iPhone
- SwitchEasy Boombox for iPhone 6
- STM Skinny Pro for iPad Air 2
- SwitchEasy Rave for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Wrap for iPhone 6 Plus
- Dog & Bone Wetsuit for iPhone 6
- Belkin Qode Ultimate + Ultimate Pro Keyboard Cases for iPad Air 2
- Evollve Ozobot
- Skech Crystal for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Hard Rubber + Ice for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPad Air 2
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0