Pro-MacBook Marware protects handrests, bodies
We’re already well-familiar with Marware’s support for the iPod family, and as we’ve noted, impressed with the company’s most recent redesigns of its Sportsuit line of cases. This week, we finally got our hands on Sportfolio Deluxe cases for the MacBook and MacBook Pro, which incorporate the best touches from the SportSuits into strap- or handle-carried laptop bags. Marware obviously loves portable Apple hardware, and these new designs show it.
The boldest part of each Sportfolio is the new and cool Orca neoprene front pocket, which showed up in the Sportsuits and really caught our attention. Rather than looking like Spandex, the Orca neoprene is something between matte and shiny, approximating the texture of Orca whale skin, and makes a much nicer visual impression. Black and blue versions are available - our samples were in the more business-ready but less camera-friendly black, which in all candor we’d prefer to carry around for our own use. And three sizes are available, ones made specifically for the 13” MacBook and the 15” MacBook Pro sell for $80 each, while the 17” MacBook Pro’s version sells for $90.
Besides the obligatory zippered laptop pocket, a second pocket in each of the cases opens to reveal a bunch of expandable compartments, each with icons suggesting what can fit inside. One is battery or AV cable-sized, another Apple Remote-sized, a central pocket is iPod, camera, or mouse-ready, while the last is charger-sized. A loop above the central pocket has a spot that lets you attach your Marware and Multidapt clip-garbed iPod case if you prefer to keep your iPod double-encased on the road, and a pass-through hole on the case’s top lets you run headphones from the bag to your ears without opening a zipper. Additional zippered compartments on the inside and outside of the back provide plenty of room for other goodies you might be carrying
Also in the box: Protection Packs ($20) for the 13” MacBook and 15” MacBook Pro. Each includes a microfiber keyboard cover that doubles as a screen cleaning cloth, and a “PVC leather” cushioned adhesive hand rest that’s custom-fit to each machine. The phrase Protection Pack has taken on a dual meaning given numerous complaints of MacBook discoloration around that model’s hand rests, and the glossy shield on that model’s default screens. Marware makes the Protection Pack in white or black for the MacBook, and gray (shown) for the MacBook Pro.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple to drop first-gen Apple TV, iPod classic support as of Sept 8th
- New Apple TV to feature motion sensitive remote
- Media companies balk at $40/mo. plan for Apple TV service
- Former Beats Music CEO Ian Rogers leaves Apple
- Apple partners with PayAnywhere for Apple Pay
- Report: iPhone 6S to retain 16GB base model
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- iPhone 6S to get front flash mode? (Update: Rose Gold color on the way)
- Report: iPhone 6S to support Motion wallpapers
- Rumor: iPhone 6S Plus to have smaller battery, packaging revealed?
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?