Pro-MacBook Marware protects handrests, bodies
We’re already well-familiar with Marware’s support for the iPod family, and as we’ve noted, impressed with the company’s most recent redesigns of its Sportsuit line of cases. This week, we finally got our hands on Sportfolio Deluxe cases for the MacBook and MacBook Pro, which incorporate the best touches from the SportSuits into strap- or handle-carried laptop bags. Marware obviously loves portable Apple hardware, and these new designs show it.
The boldest part of each Sportfolio is the new and cool Orca neoprene front pocket, which showed up in the Sportsuits and really caught our attention. Rather than looking like Spandex, the Orca neoprene is something between matte and shiny, approximating the texture of Orca whale skin, and makes a much nicer visual impression. Black and blue versions are available - our samples were in the more business-ready but less camera-friendly black, which in all candor we’d prefer to carry around for our own use. And three sizes are available, ones made specifically for the 13” MacBook and the 15” MacBook Pro sell for $80 each, while the 17” MacBook Pro’s version sells for $90.
Besides the obligatory zippered laptop pocket, a second pocket in each of the cases opens to reveal a bunch of expandable compartments, each with icons suggesting what can fit inside. One is battery or AV cable-sized, another Apple Remote-sized, a central pocket is iPod, camera, or mouse-ready, while the last is charger-sized. A loop above the central pocket has a spot that lets you attach your Marware and Multidapt clip-garbed iPod case if you prefer to keep your iPod double-encased on the road, and a pass-through hole on the case’s top lets you run headphones from the bag to your ears without opening a zipper. Additional zippered compartments on the inside and outside of the back provide plenty of room for other goodies you might be carrying
Also in the box: Protection Packs ($20) for the 13” MacBook and 15” MacBook Pro. Each includes a microfiber keyboard cover that doubles as a screen cleaning cloth, and a “PVC leather” cushioned adhesive hand rest that’s custom-fit to each machine. The phrase Protection Pack has taken on a dual meaning given numerous complaints of MacBook discoloration around that model’s hand rests, and the glossy shield on that model’s default screens. Marware makes the Protection Pack in white or black for the MacBook, and gray (shown) for the MacBook Pro.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, sign up now
- Japan Display vying to be Apple’s primary display supplier (Update: new plant confirmed)
- Apple comes to the Dow Jones Industrial Average, will replace AT&T
- Apple extends iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Larger iPad production delayed until later this year, USB 3.0 ports to be added?
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit (Update: settlement approved)
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?