Problems With Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: Join The (Sizable?) Minority | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Problems With Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: Join The (Sizable?) Minority

We’ve given it seven days, hoping that there would be a resolution. There hasn’t been. So now we’ll ask the question that’s been on our minds more or less since last Friday: what the hell is going on with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard? [Editor’s Note: A new article with possible Snow Leopard crash fixes / solutions is now available.]

Fifty or sixty percent of Snow Leopard users we’ve spoken with say that they’re having no problems with it. None. It’s a little faster, consumes less space, and adds those tiny but nice UI improvements you’ve probably read about already.

image

The other forty or fifty percent are in a situation like mine: multiple machines upgraded, all with serious, awful stability problems of some sort. Safari’s crashing. Photoshop’s crashing. Apps you didn’t even know could crash (like TextEdit) are crashing. They’re crashing when we save files, crashing randomly when we’re not saving files, and so on. iChat is putting out error messages about being unwilling to send text-only messages, seemingly at random. Some machines are hanging on restart; others boot up every time without a problem. The new feature we’re seeing more than any other is the updated crash reporter—something that hasn’t been as extensively reported upon as, say, changes to how the screen dims when you click and hold on an icon in the dock.

I realize that there is a temptation to ask how the Mac-focused media has failed in this situation. Merlin Mann, discussing problems exactly like the ones mentioned above, calls out the Mac crowd (warning: NSFW, funny language) for apparent fanboyism, saying: “I realize you’re having a big, beardy lemon party about all these homeopathically non-obvious new features, but come on. Don’t wag your finger at people like me for pointing out [something] that shipped empirically broken.” Yet this doesn’t seem like the standard case of media drooling just to get featured on Apple’s “Hot News” page. Of iLounge’s editors, most are having no problems whatsoever with Snow Leopard. And yet some of us are having such profound, awful problems that we can’t rely on the stability of our production work machines. The thing that’s crazy: people with problems and people without problems are using the same model Macs. So it’s not like Apple tested Snow Leopard on only some of its computers. There’s something else going on here.

image

Whatever the causes may be, the symptoms are becoming quantifiable. Adobe has posted a document noting some of the same problems with saving, and an increasing number of users have been registering complaints across multiple applications. As noted, however, the symptoms are not affecting everyone. One of our editors is using Adobe’s Photoshop CS4 and experiencing no problems with saving, but I’m using it on a seemingly identical machine and experiencing crashes virtually every third time I save a file. Another problem with uploading files using Safari—spread across multiple web sites, from Facebook on down—was repeatable in Firefox and Opera, as well. All of the programs crashed doing the same thing. That leads us to think that it’s not the programs, or at least the programs that are crashing; it’s Snow Leopard, not properly handling some plug-in, some accessory, or maybe something else.

Worth noting, as well: those of us with problems have been trying all the likely solutions—going through and checking for stray, naughty processes, plug-ins, and other things that might be causing instability. Nothing seems to work; I personally run extremely clean systems—no input managers, no other hacks—and there was almost nothing to remove, yet even after removing basically everything, the problems have persisted. There’s no Apple tool to help users diagnose what the problems might be, and apparently, whatever Snow Leopard installation process was supposed to quarantine incompatible files did not work properly to do so. This is, without question, the most problematic Mac OS install I have personally ever had, and the first where I’ve had to downgrade one of my machines to the prior OS just to get stability back. (On a wireless Time Machine connection, that only took 12 hours.) If I thought I could wipe the other machine completely clean—the Redmond solution, I call it—and have it work perfectly, I would, but at this point, I’ve heard too many stories of people having problems with perfectly new installations to go through all that effort for nothing.

Obviously, it’s not this way for everyone. A lot of people are running Snow Leopard without issues. I (and the other people with serious problems) would love to be among them, because other than the instabilities, the new system seems great. But a lot of us are wondering right now how Snow Leopard could have shipped with such serious instability problems—given that this is supposed to be a stability-focused release, compatible only with a far more limited number of total Mac models than ran Leopard—and why it seems that literally none of the people who received advance copies of Snow Leopard from Apple are reporting on these problems. Cat got their tongues? Or is something else going on?

« Congratulations, Jesse: Welcome Victoria Grace Hollington!

Apple’s It’s Only Rock and Roll Event: The Beatles? The Stones? Or…? »

Comments

Why don’t you do a clean install to an external Firewire drive and see if that helps?

I tested SL that way first before upgrading over Leopard. I must say that I was amazed at how well the upgrade process and the OS works. FWIW MBP early 2008 2.53 GHz 4GB RAM.

Posted by JS on September 3, 2009 at 11:59 AM (CDT)

Well, being a Mac OS X Tech myself I have heard and seen a few horror stories, I must say your claim of 60% good to 40% bad is something I can’t believe without some evidence. That is a major chunk of users and instead of some reports of problems coming in we would be bringing the Net to it’s knees with posts and threads.

Just a thought

Posted by Thomas on September 3, 2009 at 11:59 AM (CDT)

#1: Because there’s no Firewire port on the machine that is having problems. It’s a 2008 metal MacBook, the one you may recall having heard was incapable of squeezing a FW port into its diminutive chassis. ;-)

#2: “Fifty or sixty percent of Snow Leopard users we’ve spoken with.” Please read more carefully. Thanks.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on September 3, 2009 at 12:06 PM (CDT)

No Firewire, Jeremy? Use USB, then. Intel Macs use that just fine and will boot off a USB drive. It will be a tiny bit slower, but not hugely.

Fact is, Snow Leopard has some major, major code changes under that hood. Fundamental stuff. And EVERY report I’ve seen of problems is from people who migrated in place. So it is pretty clear that a lot of 3rd-parties just didn’t get their code or updates right before the Snow Leopard launch. Once it goes bad and starts crashing, I doubt very much that simple uninstalls will clear the problems.

I know you say that you have heard that clean installs are still problematical. How much can you trust those reports, and that those users didn’t just throw their usual code bucket at the clean install and then spanner it? Few people (Merlin and Leo ESPECIALLY) seem to have bothered to check their apps for certified compatibility before upgrading.

This is most probably a user behaviour problem, coupled with slow developers - not an Apple code problem. 50% of users with no problems proves that.

IMHO ;-)

Posted by David Cohen on September 3, 2009 at 12:16 PM (CDT)

It’s been a nightmare. For the small fee I paid I’m so regretting installing Snow Leopard. It’s faster but so what? I can’t print on my EPSON printer. I can’t use my Vodafone USB dongle. Fireworks CS4 is riddled with bugs. A total and utter waste of time.

Posted by Justin Berkovi on September 3, 2009 at 12:18 PM (CDT)

I’ve held off on Snow Leopard because of some of the things I heard about with Adobe CS3.

Our tech guys in my university have been running it with a few minor issues. They’ve noticed that the Cisco VPN does not work after the update, but a reinstall fixed that problem. They’ve also seen the real-time protection in the Norton Antivirus also not work, though the rest of the program seems to work just fine.

Posted by cxc273 on September 3, 2009 at 12:25 PM (CDT)

#4: While I’d love to be able to spend the time completely rebuilding a non-working system installation, I don’t have the free hours in my daily schedule to do that right now. It would take less time and less personal attention if I were to Time Machine the computer back to Leopard.

Regarding the “migrated in place” thing, you’re probably seeing those reports because the DVD was pitched as a migrate in place installation DVD, not as a clean installer. I realize that people have since discovered that it can be used as a clean installer, and even on Tiger installs (of which I have zero), but it is supposed to handle in place migrations.

Regarding “user behaviour,” I doubt it.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on September 3, 2009 at 12:38 PM (CDT)

Firefox and Safari both crashing for me!

Really annoying!

Posted by Jason Aiken on September 3, 2009 at 12:39 PM (CDT)

Had to reinstall SL twice because it wouldn’t boot after two crashes.

Posted by Manuel on September 3, 2009 at 12:49 PM (CDT)

For me it is ITunes, and I am considering, after readying this, just downgrading and waiting for Cupertino to get their act together.

Posted by nadin on September 3, 2009 at 1:32 PM (CDT)

I am surely one of the 60% having some problems.  It is very slow to close for sleep.  I have to fuss with icons before the apps open.  The spaces, which is supposed to be improved, goes crazy sometimes.  The most important thing is that when I open a PDF on a browser, either Safari, Opera or Firefox, it crashes almost everytime.  Someone suggested I reload the Adobe Reader.  That helped a little.

I hope Apple is going to do something about this.  Soon.

Posted by Anthony Green on September 3, 2009 at 2:13 PM (CDT)

iTunes hangs constantly and the system becomes unstable as a result. Restarting, even after quiting iTunes usually hangs requiring a forced quit and restart.

I am hoping a clean reinstall will help.

2007 iMac.

Posted by AlbertK on September 3, 2009 at 2:14 PM (CDT)

My problem with Snow Leopard is it really screwed up Iphoto and I can no longer turn off WIFI in airport.

I can no longer do a slideshow by be event.
Iphoto becomes un-responsive often, have to force quit.

When updating picturs to MobileME and/or Facebook it hangs for hours, I have to force quit.

Also,  I can no longer turn off airport.

A real frustrating experiance.  Wish I hadn’t updated to Sno Leopard.

Posted by Pat on September 3, 2009 at 2:14 PM (CDT)

We can not get audio streaming from the KKOH 780 web site.  It worked just fine before OS10.6.  Reinstalling filp4mac did not help which was the suggestion from the radio station.

Posted by lh on September 3, 2009 at 2:49 PM (CDT)

I am one of those having zero issues with Snow Leopard. And I am a power user.

Posted by brianc400 on September 3, 2009 at 3:09 PM (CDT)

There’s nothing more annoying than people pointing at a red herring simply because they don’t understand how things work.

Since artificial intelligence has not yet been developed, software, by definition is *predictable*. If these problems were truly problems with Snow Leopard, itself, then *every* user, *everywhere* would be experiencing them. However, software resides on any number of varying system configurations (even in Apple’s narrowed hardware line), and shares resources with any number of varying processes.

In situations like these, 999 times out of 1000 it’s some errant plugin, haxie, whatever that’s causing mischief, and who here seriously believes that simply uninstalling potential problem causers is enough? You’re counting on everything being removed properly by a program that’s already malfunctioning in its new environment.

Take the suggestion others have already said, do a clean install of Snow Leopard on an external USB or Firewire drive and boot from it. I’d be willing to bet you won’t have any problems (aside from the few actually known issues, such as Cisco VPN).

Posted by Chris Pratt on September 3, 2009 at 3:15 PM (CDT)

#16: Ah, so you’re (a) saying that it’s the user’s fault, (b) claiming that these issues were predictable but not stopped by SL’s Incompatible Software blocker, and (c) advocating the Redmond solution. Got it. Thank god there’s someone out there who understands how things really work, helping the rest of us complete morons to enjoy our seamless Snow Leopard installations in the way we really should have in the first place—by wiping out our hard drives and starting again from scratch.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on September 3, 2009 at 3:28 PM (CDT)

I agree with #16. Software is deterministic. If there were major flaws in SL then every user would have the same problems.

The next things to look at are the usual suspects. Do a clean install that wipes the HD. Remove third party memory. Reser the power manager.

Just a thought but I did not notice that the DVD was scanned for flaws as usually happens in an install. Perhaps there some flawed DVDs out there?

Disclosure: SL installed without a problem on my three year old intel based 17” MBP.

Posted by John on September 3, 2009 at 3:46 PM (CDT)

The only problems I had with my two installs (13” MBP and White 20”  iMac) were a lack of BJNP support for my Canon Networked Printer and Flip3Mac 32-bit System Preference Panel.

Seriously, That Is All.

All programs ran perfectly afterwards and a few even ran faster.
That said, I’m not one to use Haxies like APE and I only use quality Hardware. RAM is always Kingston or Corsair, I research Peripherals before I buy them to ensure they have native drivers.

Posted by Dan Woods on September 3, 2009 at 4:38 PM (CDT)

Installing Snow Leopard crashed halfway through and I was able to reboot safely back to Leopard. Disk Utility could not repair the disk even though I was unaware with my computer having any problems previously. No problem, I wiped my hard drive (which I wanted to do anyway since my iMac had been running slowly the last few months) and did a clean install and then restored everything via Time Machine. I’ve had zero problems with Snow Leopard so far and it’s used heavily all day.

Posted by Surya on September 3, 2009 at 5:17 PM (CDT)

Anecdotal experience as always….but both my wife’s iMac and my MacBook Pro are having zero issues with app stability since upgrading over the weekend.

I work with multiple other engineers who use MacBook Pro’s and none of them are complaining either.

Posted by Andrew Miller on September 3, 2009 at 5:23 PM (CDT)

Problems here, too. Mail is crashing after I send e-mails (the e-mail is delivered, it just crashes afterwards), I’m having all the iTunes problems mentioned above, and a couple of third party apps (Tweetie specifically) aren’t updating their content properly. I’ve got a unibody MacBook and an iMac and both are having significant problems.

Posted by JW008 on September 3, 2009 at 6:33 PM (CDT)

After upgrading to 10.6 I experience random hangs in some aaple applications and other apple applications. I could find a pattern to reproduce it. The bluetooth stack is specially buggy, I have installed from zero, upgraded and tested 10.6 installations in all kind of macs, including mac mini, powerbook and iMac, always with the same problems.

In the surface everything seems to work fine, but once you start scratching the surface there is a lot of defects. This is normal for a first version, but it is also normal a 10.6.1 update.

I heavily regret the payment I did for this new OS, as it is making me to loose lots of time, so I will follow the UNIX criteria: install the new version once the third revision has appeared.

Posted by Iván Fernández on September 3, 2009 at 6:39 PM (CDT)

Never install/use/buy a 1st release.

The sheer number of permutations of things that can and do go wrong means that they are never fully identified during beta/dev testing.

I always wait for the .x releases.

Posted by seriocomic on September 3, 2009 at 6:40 PM (CDT)

No problem for me. Flawless upgrade on a MacBook 2007 and iMac 2008. Aperture, iLife, .... No issue. And Xmarks is working for Safari since yesterday.

Posted by Seb on September 3, 2009 at 7:31 PM (CDT)

I made a clean install and now my M$ bluetooth Mouse is gone. With Leopard it worked fine. Even with the SL upgrade it worked, but with the clean install I lost my mouse.

Posted by Vagner on September 3, 2009 at 7:37 PM (CDT)

Snow Leopard does not support an Epson 9800 professional printer.  And since Snow Leopard totally changes color management, a new driver is required and Epson is not going to do that on the 9800 (which is barely three years old).

That means it will cost $5,000 plus another $1,500 for a service agreement to upgrade to Snow Leopard.  That’s $6,500 plus $29.95 for what was supposed to be a maintenance upgrade that just improved everything.

Shame on Apple and Epson.  Boo.  Hiss.  Yuk… Snow Leopard

Posted by Bill on September 3, 2009 at 8:27 PM (CDT)

Upgraded a recent unibody MacBook Pro, and thus far, no real problems on my end.

Doesn’t surprise me to hear all the issues, as they actually did make some pretty significant changes “under the hood”.  Seems any new major OS updates will introduce problems.  Didn’t we all go through this when Leopard first came out?

Now, lets just wait and start hearing all the wailing and gnashing of teeth when Windows 7 also finally gets out.  At least to Microsoft’s credit, they were making beta versions publicly available. Why can’t Apple do the same thing with Mac OS releases as well?

Posted by SkiBumMSP on September 4, 2009 at 12:39 AM (CDT)

Upgraded via an external firewire 800 bare drive to make sure everything works ok. Everything seem working including the new Wacom Intuos 4 tablet, but problem arise with the monitor colour calibration with the new Qualux software, plus all the icons on my machine looked washed out and not as saturated as OS 10.5.8. So I assume the colour engine in OS 10.6 must have changed again, and minor upgrades are still required.

Yet my Macbook Air seem fine with the monitor profile from previous.

Posted by Dan C on September 4, 2009 at 12:57 AM (CDT)

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Jeremy. I’m going to learn from your experience and wait on installing it this weekend as planned. Appreciate your thoughtful (as always) analysis of the situation. Hope you figure something out man.

Posted by mrfett on September 4, 2009 at 2:01 AM (CDT)

It’s good to see someone finally address this as all I’ve been reading are glowing reviews.

Mail, Safari, Photoshop crash on a semi-regular basis and the Finder sometimes becomes as slow as molasses which is rather ironic considering all the hype about how much faster it is.

This posting defending Apple are ridiculous. So, we install this update which has been *heavily marketed* as a refinement to Leopard and where the update process *hides* the non-default install options and somehow we are to blame?

And we are supposed to have searched for websites to check if our applications will work with this update? Yeah, applications like Mail and Safari, right?

Posted by Mike Benda on September 4, 2009 at 2:03 AM (CDT)

Snow Leopard or as I like to call it “No Leopard” has caused my iChat to crash consistently to the point that it no longer opens on launch. iPhoto was no where to be found, completely non existent after install was complete, had to reload iLife 09 to return iphoto. Just updated the downgraded ( thanks to “No Leopard” )Flash. Testing continues…

Posted by Dave on September 4, 2009 at 3:51 AM (CDT)

I’m trying to figure out the logistics of hunting to extinction the name donor of this OS, sticking the carcasses in a 100+ degree warehouse for a few weeks, and then dumping the mass of putrefaction in the driveway of 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA.

I have a 2.8-GHz MBP which I got a hair over 2 months ago. I installed the new OS (it vexes me to type the name) on Monday 8/31 when my “free” upgrade DVD arrived.

First problem: printer no worky. That’s an HP issue, but still something I’d've preferred to not to have to deal with. Otherwise, things appear fine, although unimpressive.

So, I get home earlier this evening and I’m having internet connection issues that will not resolve (yeah, saw the article someone wrote about fixing their dropped connection issue, but I’m not gonna funk with something that’s not broken just ‘cause part of my system decided to pull a Tom Cruise).

So, combined with the printer issue, I figured it was worth reinstalling Leopard. Go to do a Time Machine backup of my user folder and no joy. Gets stuck at 99% when “calculating changes”.

10.6 is a piece of crap on a DVD. 10.5 is being reinstalled as I type this on my iPhone. I’ll wait for quite a while before I attempt that “upgrade” again.

So, anyone got a car I can borrow? Oh, and a warehouse.

Posted by Cullen on September 4, 2009 at 3:55 AM (CDT)

I’ve installed SL on 3 iMacs, all configured very similarly. 2 are older Core Duo’s, the third a newer Core 2 Duo, which I have recently replaced the hard drive, and then replicated one of the older machines onto. Now the Core 2 Duo is great (still can’t print to my HP inkjet though), but both of the older Core Duo are having issues. Neither of them has a working clock!, and the Spotlight magnifying glass appears every few minutes and disappears and Screen dumps don’t work amongst other things.

Anyway, can the people having the problems say if they’re with the older Core Duo iMacs - could this be a factor?

Posted by Jmac on September 4, 2009 at 4:13 AM (CDT)

“And yet some of us are having such profound, awful problems that we can’t rely on the stability of our production work machines.”

If you wanted to install a new OS release less than a week old on a test system for review, I could understand. On “production work machines?” Inexcusable.

Jeremey, I really enjoy this site and it’s members. With all due respect though, I find that you frequently sound prickly when responding to readers’ comments. There’s no need. Such reactions probably do more harm than good in terms of your credibility.

Posted by mickirgra on September 4, 2009 at 5:59 AM (CDT)

Hmm. Reading this makes me pleased that I passed up the opportunity to switch from Windows to Mac a couple of months ago when upgrading my PC. Vista completely stable. iTunes and iPods/iPhones all work as intended.

Perhaps Apple spends more time testing its products and applications on Windows platforms because that’s what most people use them on?

Oh, and before anyone rants, I use MS’s and Apple’s products extensively. All of them have their strengths, and weaknesses.

Posted by drevo_uk in UK on September 4, 2009 at 6:55 AM (CDT)

I can’t stream WABC radio since the upgrade to snow leopard.  even when i downloaded real player to see if issue with flipmac and reinstalled flipmac still couldn’t stream.  and the online police scanner i used to be able to stream doesn’t work either.  this sucks.

Posted by cally on September 4, 2009 at 7:34 AM (CDT)

#35: As EIC, I’m in a unique position to see virtually all of the comments that are posted here, and have been doing so now for many years. These days, for every 100 or so useful comments we receive, we unfortunately get one from some troll/wiseass who has nothing useful to add to a discussion, and wants to stroke his own ego by posting some dimwitted non-observation here. It’s our moderators’ choice as to whether to simply delete the comments or respond to them, and on the rare occasion that I take a moment to personally respond to a troll, I’m going to say whatever I feel needs to be said under the circumstances.

So to respond to your comment: “On ‘production work machines?’ Inexcusable.” - Right. Because the most “finely tuned,” service pack-like version of an operating system designed and marketed heavily for its stability shouldn’t be installed on machines that people actually use for work. That’s “inexcusable?”

Have you been reading and hearing the same everything that Apple has been saying for the past six months? “It gets faster, more reliable, and easier to use,” says Apple’s web site right now. I suppose everyone who actually believes the words “more reliable” was foolish to do so. And that it’s my fault, as well as everyone else’s who’s having problems running core Apple applications. Right? Because that’s something that we should expect to happen after an upgrade. An upgrade focused on reliability and streamlining of core technologies.

If you sense a bit of prickliness, it’s because comments like yours - blame and denigrate the user, not the product - fly in the face of logic and decency. In the event that your car randomly stopped in the middle of a busy intersection some day, rest assured that someone would feel the need to opine that it was probably your fault in some way, even if you were just a passenger, because he has the same car and it hasn’t had a problem yet. Hopefully that person would have the wisdom to not share that particular misguided opinion publicly, lest they come off as more concerned about the car than the people inside.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on September 4, 2009 at 7:59 AM (CDT)

just reverted back from snow leopard : no function keys work no brightness control! no soundkeys /spotlight doesn’t work iphoto crashes.etc… and yes i ran disc utility first checked permissions..will wait for bugs to be fixed before I re-install.. :(

Posted by tony fisher on September 4, 2009 at 8:36 AM (CDT)

Mail ran fine until I upgraded to snow leopard.  Now about 1/3 of my new mail goes to the inbox and the other 2/3 goes to another mailbox.
I checked my filters and noticed that “any” replaced “all” in from:  I would also like print the filters and be able to set up defaults in the add filter.

The main problem is the sorting into mailboxes issue

Posted by gredmore on September 4, 2009 at 11:03 AM (CDT)

Issues I encountered:
-refuses to see any raid disk when you have to choose the disk to install on; you have to boot from the DVD to solve that
-outgoing mail impossible; had to force an SMTP port setting
-all-in-one HP printer not supported
-eject button for DVD/CD drive: still as unrsponsive as it used to be (despite explicit promise)
-also still no solution for settings that forget each time that I have 2 screens attached, and at what resolution(ie. still do a detect screens + desktop cleanup, after earch reboot)
-Safari can indeed crash completely, instead of just in one window
Now, that is only the technical part; the marketing part of the roll-out is clumsy too: the generic .com site does not say it is restriced to North America; when buying the upgrade, only at checkout, if insists you live in the US. No indication that you ahve to go to the site of your own country. If you go there, only the local language version can be bought, with no guarantee that this can be used to uprade a UK-English version e.g.  Also, for a company that thrives on a world-wide *commmunity* of users,  charging 40% more in Europe compared to the States…I got told twice in one evening that I am a second class customer because I live in the wrong country. Ended up buying from Amazon.co.uk.something that gives me benefits I must still discover, forced me to BUY an otherwise unnecessary upgrade to Parallels, stopped me from sending e-mails for a day, and cost me far too many hours to obtain a workable machine again.
As so many ISPs were bombarded with questions from people that could no longer send e-mail because of a Snow Leopard bug…will they not ask Apple to pick up that cost ?

Posted by JD on September 4, 2009 at 2:26 PM (CDT)

I haven’t had any issues with my Snow Leopard install… incredibly smooth and everything. Not one system crash. All the (minor) issues that I had with Leopard on my 2.66 GHz MacBook Pro are now gone.

Posted by Mitchell Scott on September 4, 2009 at 2:47 PM (CDT)

I’m a newbie to Mac, so forgive my kindergarten approach to problem solving with SL. My installation on my MacBook Pro appeared to be seamless and I did notice the improvements. However, a problem occurred with back up operation to Time Capsule - it didn’t recognize the new operating system for some reason. After an hour with the Apple Tech (a supervisor no less) deleting files, reconfiguring, etc. he finally asked me to unplug both my DSL modem and my Time Capsule. Whalah! The reboot on the modem and wifi seemed to solve the problems. He indicated, however, that we “cleaned a lot of things up.” I’m satisfied that the solution worked and SL is running fine as well as back-up. The experience, however, leads me to believe that the techs are caught by surprise and experimenting for solutions. Bet an update is coming soon. Think of how many new “Beta-Testers” Apple now has! :-)

Posted by mwb on September 4, 2009 at 3:27 PM (CDT)

What do they say about trash?

Yeah well if you have a crappy leo sys then you will have a crappy sno leo sys. For me, I just did a repair perm before the install and after. Everything is perfect.

Posted by solar on September 4, 2009 at 4:13 PM (CDT)

Further proof if proof were needed that there. is. no. difference. in stability or vulnerability between windows and OSX. If apple just ignores this and puts out another advert about my computer being full of viruses I will be so pissed.

Posted by Fanman on September 4, 2009 at 4:32 PM (CDT)

#36/45: To be clear, there have been profound differences between the stability of Macs and PCs for years, and though there have been small bumps in the road through Leopard, it has generally been so good that I (and dareisay virtually all Mac users) would never, ever consider using a PC instead. That having been said, the problems with Snow Leopard are awful for those of us who are suffering them.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on September 4, 2009 at 9:46 PM (CDT)

Airport Express will not run the HP 1012 that has been the workhorse.  And when I plug the printer in to the AEx slot it kills the speaker connection! Feels as if they got some Microsioft folks involved in this “upgrade”.

Posted by Richard McDonough on September 4, 2009 at 9:58 PM (CDT)

Ever since I have installed SL, it has been a pain in the butt. iTunes, Safari, Firefox, Pages all either load slow or not at all. Have gone into disk utilities, run verify disk permission several times and still have same problems. I am really disappointed Apple didn’t do a better job before it’s release. If there was a way to go back to 10.5 I would in a heart beat.

Posted by rew on September 4, 2009 at 11:41 PM (CDT)

#8—same with me. Firefox and Safari are crashing every time I try to upload a file. MS Word has also crashed repeatedly.

Posted by Jeff on September 5, 2009 at 10:34 AM (CDT)

Just to answer those who say all will be well if you do a fresh install…...After initially upgrading to 10.6 and trying all the usual things to stop app crashes, I restored my Mac Pro hardware to factory condition (downgraded GPU, removed all raid).
Then I installed 10.6 on a FRESHLY ERASED partition. Then I installed CS4. No other software, no plug-ins, just pure virgin 10.6 and CS4. Photoshop crashed within 5 minutes.

The other partition on the same HD as the erase/install 10.6 is my main Leopard one, which was and is 100% stable.

I think Jeremy’s article sums the situation up very well.

Posted by Mike Boreham on September 5, 2009 at 1:36 PM (CDT)

Soon after launch, Quick Look Helper consumes all available CPU on both cores (147%-190%).
Additionally, if I try to empty the trash, it hangs forever. I have to force quit the finder to continue.

Posted by jon on September 5, 2009 at 1:45 PM (CDT)

After installing 10.6 on a Quad-Core Intel Xeon Mac and a recent Mac Pro, bad things started happening right away . . .

QuickTime started acting oddly on the Mac Pro . . . the dock icon disappeared, then reappeared. Could not download QuickTime from Apple as the Mac Pro said it wasn’t the “correct version” for the laptop.

All files disappeared from out iTV. Had to resync EVERYTHING.

Updated Final Cut Pro on the Mac Xeon . . . worked fine for a couple of days . . . now I’m getting continuous “unexpectedly quit” messages. So I’m reinstalling the FCP suite . . . this should take about 10 hours . . .

Besides that, one great update.

Now my Mac runs just like my Windows PC.

Posted by Tom on September 5, 2009 at 9:14 PM (CDT)

Here I am again - now eating my words after having said that (#43) once the Time Machine issue was resolved, SL was running fine. Wrong. I’ve now spend a day with Apple Techs - then MS Office Mac techs - then Apple - then MS Office Mac. Each points to the other as the culprit. I have a slew of error messages from corrupted fonts, to sync errors, to database errors, to problems with VPN subsystem. I’ve installed SL twice. The biggest problem seems to be with Entourage. Neither Apple nor MS seems to have solutions - I feel stuck! Things were great prior to the OS install.

Posted by mwb on September 5, 2009 at 9:41 PM (CDT)

For whatever it’s worth, I have as of tonight personally retrograded to 10.5.8 as a result of continued instabilities with Snow Leopard, which literally made it impossible for me to do my job with any degree of system stability over the last week. The process took 5 hours over a wired connection to a Time Capsule, and an additional hour of dealing with files that had been updated over the course of the week since installation. What a disaster.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on September 5, 2009 at 11:12 PM (CDT)

Unbelievable how bad an upgrade can be. I have upgraded from Leopard to SL on my 1-year old MacBook Pro. I can no longer use Safari. More than 90% of the time it fails to connect to any web site, including Apple’s start page. None of the solutions posted in different forums has worked for me. On a side node Apple didn’t announce any compatibility problems to help users decide whether or not to upgrade. I had to upgrade Parallels 3.0 to 4.0 as it could not be on SL. Installing Parallels itself was an ordeal as it took almost one day after looping countless times forcing me to reboot the machine until the 4 of 4 steps were completed. Incidentally, I have no problem using IE on Bootcamp running Windows XP on the same machine, in the same session. Apple’s support is out of reach shielded by useless troubleshootings and FAQs.

Posted by lts on September 5, 2009 at 11:52 PM (CDT)

Solve all my crash problems by reducing memory size from 8G to 4G.
Fixed Problems with cs4, vmware and other random crashes.

Posted by larry on September 6, 2009 at 5:03 AM (CDT)

Those who choose to blame the users by advocating for clean install or “wait for 10.6.x” are ignoring the fact that this release is NOT A BETA. There should be no risk in installing an Apple-approved upgrade to an operating system. Software incompatibilities may be inevitable, but they should NEVER affect Apple’s own applications they way they are Safari and iTunes on many systems.

If you must “clean install,” then the installer is objectively and completely BROKEN. If you must “wait for X” then logically you will NEVER be able to upgrade from a known stable configuration to a later release with any confidence.

“I did _____ and I’m okay,” is descriptive, not prescriptive, and it’s the kind of attitude that leads to irrational Pavlovian permissions-fixing.

And if the system itself is hanging (mine is), Apple cannot point the finger anywhere else. Regardless of whatever you’re running under Snow Leopard, it is the OS’s job to remain functional despite any and all application errors. Don’t let Windows-style helplessness invade the Macintosh mindset.

Posted by Jay on September 6, 2009 at 12:23 PM (CDT)

I must say that I am in the mixed results camp. I added Snow Leopard to my Macbook Pro and have had no problems and it runs very well, but on the flip side it completely crashed my Macbook Air (white screen of death on start-up) and I had to have my Macbook Air replaced (my Macbook Air was less than a month old). It also took much longer than expected to load the upgrade via remote disc. I kept getting failed installation errors. I eventually had to load it via direct connection. I am not sure what is going on, but I think problems made be a little more widespread than people are willing to admit.

Gary

Posted by Gary on September 6, 2009 at 7:08 PM (CDT)

I also forgot to mention that I had the internet connection issue on both my Macbooks upon OS upgrade. What I had to do to resolve this was manually input an IP address into the DNS window under network advance options. That resolved the issue. It was pretty annoying having to troubleshoot that. Apple should put out an update ASAP.

Gary

Posted by Gary on September 6, 2009 at 7:34 PM (CDT)

For me it was a walk in the park. I own a mac pro and an imac, installed on the mac pro to test the waters, just backed up everything to carbonite, popped the DVD in, installed in place and that was it, no issues whatsoever.

Posted by Ricardo on September 6, 2009 at 8:42 PM (CDT)

upgrade to SL but now having problems with Mail, DOCK and SPACES. When Mail is activated, the icon sticks out of the dock (dock hangs) although can continue to open other apps through Recent Items under the Apple logo. App switcher and Expose hangs so cannot switch and then have to reboot. Switch off SPACES still no difference. Loses all settings in System Preferences for mouse etc!!! Reinstalled from scratch and work but now problem resurfaces after 1 day (no new apps installed)! anyone with any suggestions??? much appreciated.
James

Posted by James Kong on September 7, 2009 at 1:53 AM (CDT)

Count me in. Adobe CS4, Final Cut, Logic, HandBrake, everything randomly crashes. Techtools reports CPU and RAM chips are okay.

Clean install, mind you. Imac 5,1 with 3 GB RAM.

Posted by Stooovie on September 7, 2009 at 2:45 PM (CDT)

I have only had Snow Leopard for a day but I seem to be having issues with any applications that utilize the Finder programs viewer.

I am not able to attach a file in an email - I have tried AOL and using a Microsoft based online web access program repeatedly. It crashes Safari and I get the same error message.

Attempts to save files have failed in Power Point and Excel.

Posted by Cathy on September 7, 2009 at 5:41 PM (CDT)

Whew, I’m glad to see this article. I thought it was just me. I’ve never had so many random crashes in 20 years on Macs. Usually on open or save, I’m getting crashes in iMovie, GraphicConverter, Safari, Silkypix (photo editor) and others I can’t remember at the moment. It’s ridiculous.

Posted by Dave on September 7, 2009 at 10:17 PM (CDT)

So relieved and worried at the same time. Relieved it’s not just me, worried about being able to fix the problem.

I just got an iMac a week ago, had no problems. Now (after I installed my “free Snow Leopard upgrade”) Bridge, Photoshop CS4 keep freezing or unexpectly closing, and if I manage to keep them open, I can’t save ANY work. On the hard drive, or on my external. For the external, I get a message saying I don’t have permissions to write to it. I have to get the permissions all over again every time I turn the computer on. The settings on my Wacom Intuos4 tablet keep resetting everytime I turn on the computer.

This is a nightmare, one that has had me wondering if I should pack up the Mac, take it back to the store and revert back to PC. :(

Posted by Dayna on September 8, 2009 at 8:11 AM (CDT)

Installed Snow Leopard the day it was released on a 3 month old iMac, 1 year-old MBP, and 2yo MB(over Tiger), used all three for 4 hrs+ every day since, with no problems whatsoever. All home-networked with 4 PCs through an Airport Extreme (with external drive for wireless TM backups). And I did nothing special to prepare, didn’t remove any apps (and the kids have some pretty sketchy apps on their machines). So YMMV. The PC’s aren’t seeing much use ;)

Posted by SarahsDad on September 8, 2009 at 12:53 PM (CDT)

Add me to the “frustrated” list. This is the first Mac OS I have installed that simply has not worked as it should. Both installs on a MBP and 24” iMac left my fonts all messed up (screen and print) and Office 2008 incapable of starting. Downgraded back to 10.5.8. Have never had to “undo” a Mac OS installation before. Very disappointed.

Posted by Lyzardo on September 8, 2009 at 2:30 PM (CDT)

I am an advanced user and I do a lot stuff under the hood on my computer.  I have only owned one Apple computer in my life and that has been less than a year.  I can honestly say that I have had zero issues with the upgrade.  However, I make sure that I run the 32-bit kernel instead of the 64-bit kernel because much of the third-party software will not run on the 64-bit kernel.  This is a know a know issue and they all will crash if you boot into the wrong kernel.  If you installed OS X Server, it will boot into the 64-bit kernel by default and you will have problems.  If you have more than 4GB and boot into the 32-bit kernel, you will have problems as well.

Posted by Jason on September 8, 2009 at 5:40 PM (CDT)

A nice quote from this article says it all:

“Some are complaining about Snow Leopard breaking app compatibility. Well, c’mon!”

“The jump from 32-bit to 64-bit is huge! Don’t blame Apple for this - Snow Leopard Dev Preview has been out for a long time—enough time for third-party developers to port their applications to support the full 64-bit architecture. Any changes in the internal components of the OS is bound to introduce incompatibilities!”

Posted by Jason on September 8, 2009 at 5:45 PM (CDT)

I picked up a new 1.8ghz Mac Mini several months ago for $350 and decided to do a little Mac experiment and see how long I could go without looking back. And things have been, overall, pretty darned good, with very little use of my Win32 machines. Until this. Facebook in particular, in Firefox, Chrome and Safari, just “quits”. Disappears, can’t find the URL… but at the same time, a Win32 machine using the exact same network settings finds the same page with no problem. This wasn’t happening prior to the install of 10.6. Broken inline images, too in Snow Leopard. Which kind of proves my point - Win32, OS X, or Linux… they’re all complex enough that they’re prone to the exact same problems, and it *is* fanboyism to claim that any one is superior than the other. There may be niche areas where one excels over the other - but any liability is naturally applicable to any OS you decide to go with. So all things considered, I don’t *care* what OS is on the system… the default factory install is generally going to be good enough (crummy Linux netbook installs excepted).  Just like Win32, once Cupertino gets a couple “service packs” out, I’m sure 10.6 will stack up just as nice as Win7… or maybe not… I’ve already seen posts that ask, “is OS 10.6 Apple’s VISTA?!?”

Which to me, seems a lot like calling Iraq “America’s NEW Viet Nam”...

Posted by PiddlyD on September 8, 2009 at 9:41 PM (CDT)

What is with you Mac Homers?  “Works fine for me therefore you must be nuts.”  Thanks for no help.  The reality it crashes apps without any warning.  Ipso facto.  This is Apple’s Vista.  Let me remind you.  Vista works for some also.  Apple CS which is the worst on the planet is of no help.  Provide something constructive or helpful.  Otherwise shut the hell up and play you D&D

Posted by Kent on September 8, 2009 at 9:53 PM (CDT)

Smooth sailing for our macbooks except yesterday Safari started crashing like mad.

I restarted and this fixed it. Shouldn’t be necessary but it was.

Hoping for an update + fix asap.

Posted by Alicia on September 9, 2009 at 4:42 AM (CDT)

The problems seem to be related to open/save (mainly save) disk operations. Final Cut, Logic and such crash mostly when trying to save something. No crashes during editing, composing etc.

Sorry to say that, but Win 7 is rock solid on all my PCs including 5 year old Athlon, this 20” iMac and 1 GHz netbook, and yet Snow Leopard, being supported on some 20-odd models, is not.

Posted by Stooovie on September 9, 2009 at 10:37 AM (CDT)

I just bought a new 24” IMAC with Snow Leopard. I have had many problems setting up already established email accounts to their servers. I was able to get the incomming servers to work right away and receive messages however SMTP outgoing servers would not work at all and no messages could be sent.

I have two ISP services. I want to be able to use either one when I have to or want to. We tried just about everything to get the computer and the Apple mail program to recognize and connect to the SMTP servers.

Only after much re-typing and program re-starts did the program finnally recognize the connections and fixed itself for now.

It seems using the users FULL NAME would not work at all at first. The program would not go to the next set up screen. So you could set the program up. It just gave me a connection failed error. Then after a few attempts at retyping did it decide to take the changes.

It appeared that the ports the program was trying to use to send messages would not go through. A message trying to be sent would go from port to port and finally failing to connect.

I tried quiting and restarting the program. each time re-typing. Finnally it decided to work.

After two days of fiddling I have come to the conclusion that the 10.6 mail program definitely has issues.

Let me start by saying I checked the ISP’s first for any known outages etc.

It does not switch SMTP servers at all. It appears it will hang up on what ever server was working last and try to stay there. Even when the information was deleted to not allow the program access to the setting ( I threw away the other SMTP and tried to send without it by using the other SMTP that I finally got to work.) You need to change your settings and then quit the program and re-launch at least a couple of times before the new changes would take affect. I checked the Connection Doctor continuously and here is what I noticed. The mail programs attempt to connect took quite a long time to complete. It would go from port to port trying to find a port that would allow it to connect. It just hung up in a attempting to connect mode for as much as several program restarts. I mean hanging up and spinning for 10 minutes or more. Sometimes the changes did take place at all.

I even went as far as plugging in a different keyboard thinking the wrong letter=s were being typed even though they showed up correctly on screen.

I made changes and seemed would and should work just like I had done at least 50 to 60 times before. Finally after many different combinations. I let it sit for about a half an hour and spin until it stopped attempting connect and the coonection doctor said the connection was successful. When I cam back I quit the program. I restart the program and all my settings worked.

The set up should have taken me 5 minutes tops. It took me 10 man hours and two long chats with my ISP’s. I am scratching my head because the settings in the program were the same settings I typed in when I first started the set-up early yesterday morning. I had the right info the program did not believe me or did not want to accept them, or did not recognize my typing, or it just plain took a really long time to decide on what to do.

I am in a wait and see mode to see what happens each time I close and open the program or even when I shut down and restart the computer whetherr any changes occur on their own, if the program recognizes the settings, or if I have to start all over again.

Sounds like an incompatibility problem or a coding flaw for sure.

Posted by Russ on September 9, 2009 at 3:59 PM (CDT)

Snow Leopard is a monumental screw up. iPhoto crashes, Excel is so slow to do the most basic tasks, huge problems with mail and mail attachments, HP printer problems that Apple don’t tell you about but HP did. Seems like this was rushed through without being properly tested. Hey Apple, how about some patches to fix all these bugs.

Posted by Jimmy on September 9, 2009 at 8:07 PM (CDT)

I’ve installed this software on 2 Imacs, an Air, and a Macbook. So—on the iMacs—bad that it’s incompatible with Google Desktop. why? Google Quick Search Box isn’t as useful. On the 2 laptops—very bad—Firefox crashes—on each—all the time. Ouch. What were you thinking, Apple?

Posted by Toby Miller on September 10, 2009 at 2:26 AM (CDT)

Since I recently upgraded to snow leopard i noticed the green screen function to imovie no longer worked the background would be all black and not showing properly other than this issue it does seem to be a great os I really need that green screen function to work correctly.

Posted by Chez on September 10, 2009 at 7:21 AM (CDT)

I have to agree with this article 100%. Snow Leopard has some MAJOR problems with stability. I know, I know, early adopters beware, etc… but I never would have expected Snow Leopard to crash just about every app that was made by Apple! To name a few: Mail, Safari, iTunes, iPhoto, anything related to iDisk, and the list goes on… Of course Office crashes like a drunken baby driving a Ferrari, but that’s nothing new.

The scary thing is, I also have a PC running windows (upgraded from XP) and I never had this many problems with Vista which is unanimously considered Microsofts largest recent blunder (although anyone remember Windows Me?).

I would clean install, but I’m afraid that once I migrate my user files (iTunes, iLife, documents preferences, etc.) over it will be the same problem over again.

Just to let everyone know. In dealings with an Apple tech, were were able to isolate the problem to the User folder, but nothing further.

I hope Apple is taking this very seriously. Many users are very frustrated, and have no way to fix the problems they are having.

Posted by sleepystu on September 10, 2009 at 8:16 AM (CDT)

So far I’ve installed Snow Leopard on one of my three home Macs. No problems so far, but my iMac is used for iTunes and web surfing, and I don’t have many weird apps floating around. The video editing apps I use on my Powermac G5 will have to stay on Leopard for a while.

This reminds me of some filesystem corruption issues that were present in 10.5.0, and corrected in 10.5.1. Anyone else remember the details?

Posted by Eric on September 10, 2009 at 3:36 PM (CDT)

I Installed Snow Leopard on my imac and mac book pro. Both have identical faults.

Quitting Photoshop when saving, Quitting Bridge when deleting, wont open Dreamweaver at all, keeps saying error -192 with Microsoft Entourage, and even quit the calculator.

what a nightmare.

I am a pro photographer and photoshop is part of my job. SL is putting me so behind, with pages freezing and the whole computer grinding to a halt every time it throws a wobbly. My staff have now re-named it “SLOW LEOPARD”

I feel really let down by apple, I changed to mac many years ago because I was fed up with PC’s, I laughed at vista because of its catalogue of errors. Only to have apple make the same mistakes.

How long will it be before these errors can be fixed?

Posted by Philip Bramhill LBIPP on September 10, 2009 at 5:51 PM (CDT)

Came fresh-installed on my brand-new Mac Pro, runs pretty much without a hitch. Only two hitches:
1) Whole Mail SMTP thing like #74 above, but it runs fine now.
2) Doesn’t like my Brother HL2140 laser printer. I’m getting a lot of print overrun errors (works sometimes, doesn’t work others - seems to be more reliable when I tell it to print only a few pages at a time), despite installing and selecting the CUPS driver. Feh.

Posted by Tommy B. on September 11, 2009 at 11:27 PM (CDT)

I am having huge issues on an iMac and a Macbook both bought last summer. iTunes crashes. Elgato & Front Row are fully confused. Finder crashes frequently - especially when trying to run a Time Machine backup. The last time I experienced software this bad was Vista… last summer. Really, really, really cross. Rather than release early could they not have waited until it worked. I bought a Mac because I am not techy and have no desire to get techy.

Posted by Ben on September 12, 2009 at 2:52 PM (CDT)

I should add. I only really use Apple applications (no MS in sight). My system was utterly brilliant on Leopard. It was wobbly on 10.6. It is a downright disgrace on 10.6.1. Rubbish.

Posted by Ben on September 12, 2009 at 3:00 PM (CDT)

I installed SL on a MBpro running Leopard. I love the new features and most apps seem fine, but Mail is giving me fits. It almost always fails to quit. The inbox seems to constantly be “running” sent msgs seem to hang (but often if I open my mail with a Web interface in another window, it has been sent.). The problem seems pretty consistent. I have restarted Mail (usually forced quit) restarted the computer, etc. Sometimes turning off the Internet connection (Airport usually) allows me to quit. I can’t find consistent patterns. However, it seems to be related to the iMap and SMTP negotiations with the mail servers. Reading the threads above, many seem to imply similar issues with similar causes. This has been my most problematic (Mac) upgrade in decades. It is a more substantial upgrade than it appears on the surface, but there are indeed some serious problems. Those who don’t have issues and suggest that those who do are somehow responsible for the issue are letting Apple off too easily. There are some serious problems the evidence may be anecdotal, but those of us who have been using Apples for 25 years and are “power users” who are fans of Apple are evidence that the problems are serious and not user related.

Posted by Ray on September 12, 2009 at 4:59 PM (CDT)

Those doing 10.6 installs (upgrade) - did the “Welcome” screen appear with the music playing?

(When I clicked the next button on the welcome screen, the window suddenly disappeared.)

Had problems since then with most apps crashing.

Posted by Jon on September 13, 2009 at 12:51 AM (CDT)

I installed Snow Leopard last friday. It is a nightmare. The iMac I’ve been using for three years without any problems started to crash without any reason. I had to go back to Leopard (which means erasing the hard drive, re-install Leopard, then copy the datas from Time Machine).

With Leopard, no problem for half a day. Then I tried Snow Leopard again. The installation process is pretty long. And then my iMac crashes again.

I give up and go back again to Leopard.
A bit disappointed (to say the less)

Posted by Ludovic on September 13, 2009 at 4:02 AM (CDT)

Same here 10.6.1. Photoshop CS4 crashes when saving and save for web. This is my 3.0.6 ghz Imac one year old. I will try to hold out one more week before i´m downgrading. This comes totaly out of the blue for me and makes my work days very complicated.

Posted by FM on September 13, 2009 at 6:29 PM (CDT)

Multiple problems installing 10.6 and 10.6.1 over 10.5.8: 1) Display resolution can’t be set to any size compatible with my iMac screen (but was working with 1024x768 stretched with previous system; 2.Screen dialog indicating that “The Disk You Inserted Was Not Readable by this Computer” comes up every time 10.6 was opened. 3. Another dialog kept coming up at random times indicating: “You need to restart your computer” in 7 different languages. 4.Time Machine repeatedly failed to backup. 5. 10.6 version of Stickies insisted on applying spell checking to each Stickie in spite of my constant disabling of the menu item. 6. Many programs repeatedly crashed.

Mac support unhelpful. I reloaded 10.5.8 and won’t reconsider 10.6 for some time to come.

Posted by R. A. Lis on September 13, 2009 at 6:49 PM (CDT)

I have continued to follow comments here re: 10.6.1 in hopes that it would fix the issues. Seems that it doesn’t; Adobe’s John Nack blog also indicates that the problems continue. A shame.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on September 13, 2009 at 8:58 PM (CDT)

I have had it with SL and am doing the unthinkable, scorched earth process of totally erasing my hard drive.  Redmond process and all.  Thankfully I cloned the entire drive before “upgrading” to SL a week ago.  As a professional photographer, I cannot rely on SL handling Adobe s/w and file correctly.

Posted by Stephen Pope on September 14, 2009 at 10:47 AM (CDT)

I have a 2 month old Macbook Pro, no 3rd party software loaded, that I upgraded to Snow Leopard.  The only problem I have run into is dropping WIFI connection in Safari 4.  No pattern to it, just browsing a site, and the next page will show as no internet connection.  Wait a minute or so, refresh, and it comes back.  Very frustrating.  I loaded Opera and have not had the same issue happen again.  Can’t believe it would be a problem with Safari 4, but I have no other thoughts on what could cause it.  I have a Macbook Air that is on the same network that never skips a beat while browsing at the same exact time the MBP loses connection.

Posted by Pamela on September 14, 2009 at 2:27 PM (CDT)

Hi everyone. I have had no end of problems, especially with Safari, since upgrading to Snow Leopard and now ALL MY PROBLEMS HAVE BEEN SOLVED by a simple boot into safe mode then reboot. For those that don’t know how to do it, reboot your mac and hold down the shift key until it shows the apple symbol in the middle and a grey or black progress bar starts then release. When it boots up you should notice it says safe mode, test, Safari mainly in my case, or what ever and if it all works just reboot without holding the shift key, Job sorted. What I’m told you are doing is re-writing all the permissions from scratch, mine is like it used to be, fantastic and with Snow Leopard.
Hope this helps

Posted by Darren on September 14, 2009 at 5:06 PM (CDT)

Have not had a chance to read all the posts but count me in as far as those having issues with Snow Leopard.  Worked fine when I first upgraded but since then I had to use Disk Warrior to get my system backup and running and the system seems to being going into fsck sometimes after I have done a clean shutdown.
Otherwise it seems to run faster than Leopard but am a bit worried about its stability.

Posted by Robert Goto on September 15, 2009 at 1:32 AM (CDT)

On Firefox I had a very difficult time figuring out why real player was popping up on some videos. Never used real player before. It ws Quicktime always and Windows Media with Flip for Mac. Here is the problem. If you go to Firefox preferences and click on Applications you will notice 2 Real Player applications which say Use Real Player Plug in. CHANGE these to Flip for Mac. I think you can also put in Quicktime. Whatever, this does you will not get Real Playwr again. Real Player would not be bad per se but there was no video and just audio. You can get really twisted up listening to Real Player support and even Apple tech support is just learning. I just stumbled upon this being just an intermediate problem solver at best. Snow Leopard has sure caused problems. How the settings got changed on Firefox is a mystery to me.

Posted by norm on September 15, 2009 at 2:13 PM (CDT)

It’s not that third-party apps are the only things crashing on me.  Textedit and Terminal, apple built stuff crashes all the time.  It’s ridiculous.  I’m about a day from removing os 10 from my machine and installing linux only.  I just can’t believe how bad it is.

I also got a blue screen instead of a login until I reinstalled the os.

It’s just plain terrible.

Posted by fred on September 15, 2009 at 5:53 PM (CDT)

Major font problems with Snow Leopard.  Doesn’t support Type 1 postscript - had these font for many, many, SOOOOOO many years.  We’re not talking about a few fonts - let’s move that number up to more than 600. Do the math on fixing that problem.  Sorta like saying your kitchen sink isn’t worth keeping.  This is a huge issue for the print industry. And this industry has learned not to upgrade for at least 6 months after a release.  Can’t wait to see how they reacts to this brain wizzzz. (My early adapter husband will never touch my computer again.)

New problem: System can’t find the network for upgrades - no solution yet. Might rebot and see if that will work. It doesn’t connect or give it time to find the network….thinking the system is too fast to say it can’t find the path… Might be when we were moving preferences around to try to solve the font problem.  Reinstalled, reienstalled, went online to get upgrade….restarts, cache fiddling,  tech support, case numbers, reading boards, still waiting for the solution.  We’ve all been here before - just waiting for that golden moment when someone post the solution.

To the gentleman posting on this board suggesting it must be the user causing SL problems because their computer is running smoothly.  All sorts of Apps crashing in random moments and similar moments IS a pattern. My apps haven’t crashed much, illustrator and indesign coughed a few time, but I can have more than 20 apps open at one time.

imac - with a whole lots of that gig stuff.

Posted by tc on September 16, 2009 at 1:42 AM (CDT)

Hi there,

I’m running OS X 10.6.1 on a MacBook Pro (2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo with 3GB RAM). I keep on getting this error message (this is the start of it anyway) when in the Finder, and inside my Movies folder:

Process: quicklookd [373]
Path: /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Resources/quicklookd.app/Contents/MacOS/quicklookd
Identifier: com.apple.QuickLookDaemon
Version: 2.0 (327.0)
Build Info: QuickLook-3270000~1
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [244]

Date/Time: 2009-09-15 05:57:12.623 +1000
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.1 (10B504)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 861 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 4
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 332 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 4
Anonymous UUID: FECBC589-6C2F-4ED8-8F0C-4D4CD7E15E3D

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0xffffffffffffff9c
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Other than this, Snow Leopard is running really well for me.

Does anyone know what is causing this, and any ways to fix the issue?

Thanks!

Posted by Cam on September 16, 2009 at 8:18 AM (CDT)

I have installed SL on a MBP and MB (both previous models, i.e. not unibody). So far the MBP has had 2 or 3 iTunes crashes only and the MB has had a couple of wireless network issues. The iTunes issues seem to happen when I am working with large groups of songs and making edits like changing genre or assigning star ratings. This did not happen in Leopard, but I am accustomed to the “early adopter” theory and accept the risks. The MB network issues seem to be more pronounced. It will frequently drop the network and be unable to find it again. All the while my MBP and a Mac Mini (running Leopard) within 5-15 feet of the MB will have full signal. Just strange. I have to say that the MB did have some network issues before this upgrade, but they have increased 3 fold at least.

I am not giving up on SL and I am sure that subsequent updates will address many of these common problems. For those that went out and threw this on production machines you need for everyday business, not a wise move regardless of the OS you are upgrading. Like others have said before, .3 releases seem to be the sweet spot when the initial bugs have been exterminated.

Posted by Mitch on September 16, 2009 at 8:46 AM (CDT)

You know what’s sad? Reading this thread sounds more like the typical Microsoft thread than one talking about Apple.

I’ve had all the same issues as everyone else. 10.6.1 seems to have introduced more issues than 10.6.

I can’t get any work done because of all the crashes. I’ve had to retype an email 4 times in a row to send it a few minutes ago. Each time I clicked Send, Entourage would crash. That was my last straw. That’s how I ended up here - just like everyone else.

I’m getting sick of Dreamweaver, Eclipse, Photoshop, entourage, etc. crashing each time I am doing something critical… like saving.

Posted by Cameron on September 17, 2009 at 12:20 AM (CDT)

Snow leopard has been a horrible horrible mess for me. Hyperspaces has errors, Firefox, Safari, Times, VLC, QuickTime Player all crash. The dashboard is slower, I loose all network settings upon wake up from sleep. I get lots of slowdown, the only good thing is that trash now empties without hanging.

Posted by Stuart on September 17, 2009 at 2:35 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >