Problems With Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: Join The (Sizable?) Minority | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Problems With Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: Join The (Sizable?) Minority

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Thursday, September 3, 2009
Backstage Categories:

We’ve given it seven days, hoping that there would be a resolution. There hasn’t been. So now we’ll ask the question that’s been on our minds more or less since last Friday: what the hell is going on with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard? [Editor’s Note: A new article with possible Snow Leopard crash fixes / solutions is now available.]

Fifty or sixty percent of Snow Leopard users we’ve spoken with say that they’re having no problems with it. None. It’s a little faster, consumes less space, and adds those tiny but nice UI improvements you’ve probably read about already.

image

The other forty or fifty percent are in a situation like mine: multiple machines upgraded, all with serious, awful stability problems of some sort. Safari’s crashing. Photoshop’s crashing. Apps you didn’t even know could crash (like TextEdit) are crashing. They’re crashing when we save files, crashing randomly when we’re not saving files, and so on. iChat is putting out error messages about being unwilling to send text-only messages, seemingly at random. Some machines are hanging on restart; others boot up every time without a problem. The new feature we’re seeing more than any other is the updated crash reporter—something that hasn’t been as extensively reported upon as, say, changes to how the screen dims when you click and hold on an icon in the dock.

I realize that there is a temptation to ask how the Mac-focused media has failed in this situation. Merlin Mann, discussing problems exactly like the ones mentioned above, calls out the Mac crowd (warning: NSFW, funny language) for apparent fanboyism, saying: “I realize you’re having a big, beardy lemon party about all these homeopathically non-obvious new features, but come on. Don’t wag your finger at people like me for pointing out [something] that shipped empirically broken.” Yet this doesn’t seem like the standard case of media drooling just to get featured on Apple’s “Hot News” page. Of iLounge’s editors, most are having no problems whatsoever with Snow Leopard. And yet some of us are having such profound, awful problems that we can’t rely on the stability of our production work machines. The thing that’s crazy: people with problems and people without problems are using the same model Macs. So it’s not like Apple tested Snow Leopard on only some of its computers. There’s something else going on here.

image

Whatever the causes may be, the symptoms are becoming quantifiable. Adobe has posted a document noting some of the same problems with saving, and an increasing number of users have been registering complaints across multiple applications. As noted, however, the symptoms are not affecting everyone. One of our editors is using Adobe’s Photoshop CS4 and experiencing no problems with saving, but I’m using it on a seemingly identical machine and experiencing crashes virtually every third time I save a file. Another problem with uploading files using Safari—spread across multiple web sites, from Facebook on down—was repeatable in Firefox and Opera, as well. All of the programs crashed doing the same thing. That leads us to think that it’s not the programs, or at least the programs that are crashing; it’s Snow Leopard, not properly handling some plug-in, some accessory, or maybe something else.

Worth noting, as well: those of us with problems have been trying all the likely solutions—going through and checking for stray, naughty processes, plug-ins, and other things that might be causing instability. Nothing seems to work; I personally run extremely clean systems—no input managers, no other hacks—and there was almost nothing to remove, yet even after removing basically everything, the problems have persisted. There’s no Apple tool to help users diagnose what the problems might be, and apparently, whatever Snow Leopard installation process was supposed to quarantine incompatible files did not work properly to do so. This is, without question, the most problematic Mac OS install I have personally ever had, and the first where I’ve had to downgrade one of my machines to the prior OS just to get stability back. (On a wireless Time Machine connection, that only took 12 hours.) If I thought I could wipe the other machine completely clean—the Redmond solution, I call it—and have it work perfectly, I would, but at this point, I’ve heard too many stories of people having problems with perfectly new installations to go through all that effort for nothing.

Obviously, it’s not this way for everyone. A lot of people are running Snow Leopard without issues. I (and the other people with serious problems) would love to be among them, because other than the instabilities, the new system seems great. But a lot of us are wondering right now how Snow Leopard could have shipped with such serious instability problems—given that this is supposed to be a stability-focused release, compatible only with a far more limited number of total Mac models than ran Leopard—and why it seems that literally none of the people who received advance copies of Snow Leopard from Apple are reporting on these problems. Cat got their tongues? Or is something else going on?

« Congratulations, Jesse: Welcome Victoria Grace Hollington!

Apple’s It’s Only Rock and Roll Event: The Beatles? The Stones? Or…? »

Comments

black macbook crashes constantly after updating to 10.6 & 10.6.1..

itunes and safari seem to be the main culprit.  they just hang with the rainbow/waiting thing for minutes on end…. And thats without even playing a song or visitng a web page… even the finder is just painfully slow.  All other functions stop whilst these apps creash (before, even if an app crashed I would still have some other fucntionaility - force quit wont appear and I cant open any windows in finder - I want to get to the processes app to see whats happening but it all grinds to a complete halt)

Pretty crappy.  i usually jump at apple’s latest offerings because they’re cool and work - big mistake this time.  wish I could downgrade back 10.5.8 but dont have the old system disc.

My beloved macbook has crashed more in the last 2 weeks than the last 2 years.

I’ve tried reinstalling system software as well as erasing the disc and doing a complete system reinstall.  tried both of the repairs numerous times in disc utilities as well as deleting cache…  10.6.1 is just as bad if not wosse than 10.6 for me…. Still a loyal (but dispoainted) apple customer.  Hope 10.6.2 works and is out soon.

Posted by davo on September 17, 2009 at 9:43 PM (PDT)

hi everybody, I’m glad I’m not the only one with Apple’s Vista version. Snow Leopard did the following for me:

Both Gimp and Inkscape (running under X11) stopped working completely! And I’m in the middle of a drawing/photo project. Linux helps, so I’m continuing the work on a linux desktop.

My scanner, an Epson 4990 Photo, still scans articles, photographs, but they are distorted, every scan looks like an enormous weight has fallen on the picture, you know what I mean, like Bill Gates having an enormous beerbelly now. Maybe he’s to blame?

There are other programs that just gave up.

A new version of Iphoto, but it doesn’t recognise recently scanned articles/photographs, while they are jpeg files. This is a new one!

I think I better give up on this (S)no(W) Leopard and reinstall the last one, that was working fine, although I could not get my version of Photoshop Elements to work on it.

Posted by jaap on September 18, 2009 at 6:26 AM (PDT)

As I can see from the comments on this web page I am not the only one having problems with Snow Leopard.
Mac Mail and Safari are crashing, my computer will run fine for awhile then all of a sudden a Panic Attack and I have to reboot.
I upgraded my video driver and it seems the crashes are not as frequent but they are still happening.
My computer is acting like a Windows PC.

Posted by Gordon Hamm on September 18, 2009 at 9:38 AM (PDT)

I’m a mac.  This is me:
  Model Name:  Mac Pro
  Model Identifier:  MacPro4,1
  Processor Name:  Quad-Core Intel Xeon
  Processor Speed:  2.66 GHz
  Number Of Processors:  1
  Total Number Of Cores:  4
  L2 Cache (per core):  256 KB
  L3 Cache:  8 MB
  Memory:  3 GB

My problems have all been the third-party kind:
- Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 WON’T START AT ALL
- HP Scan Pro 6.1.3 CAN’T INITIALIZE OR FIND THE SCANNER

Some other problems were apparently solved just by updating the sw.

Posted by John Thomas on September 18, 2009 at 1:08 PM (PDT)

I can’t say I’ve had any issues with itunes or firefox/safari. However, it often takes 5-6 tries now to establaish and maintain a VNC/remote desktop connection. This is problematic whether I use the VINE VNC server, or the built in solution. I connect, I enter my password, the remote desktop appears on my screen for a split second, then closes. Handbrake crashes very frequently too. Doesn’t matter if I’m using the last stable release or the most recent SVN. I click on source so I can scan a file and add it to my conversion queue. 50% of the time it will crash doing this. if it were a file problem, the file in question would cause it to crash every time. yet, if I just keep reopening the app and trying again, it will eventually work. None of this happened before. Never mind that the SL installer -removed- my mpeg2 component that I PAID APPLE FOR. Had to dig into my time machine to retrieve it. Seems they also broke AC3 audio again too like they did on the appletv last year. None of my videos that contain ac3 audio have any sound in quicktime, even after reinstalling the ac3 component alone, and trying perian. Yes. the os is faster, snappier. But even apple apps that ship with the os aren’t entirely stable. there is something going on behind the scenes causing problems.

Posted by Justin on September 19, 2009 at 10:50 AM (PDT)

I’ve never posted before, never had to. Feedback is always important, especially the comment that this feels like Microsoft forum…well is quite unsettling. My brand new HP printer now doesn’t have any real scanning functionality, major crashes. Skype just disappeared. Needed a complete reinstall. I cant access Citrix either. Yes I realise these are all temporary glitches until the rest of the development community catches up. As a loyal fan I will remain patient BUT i do hope it’s not too long

Posted by ozechad on September 20, 2009 at 4:46 AM (PDT)

After installing, I quickly restored my original from my clone because for some reason I couldn’t figure out, the upgrade uninstalled my quicktime pro so that only the player was left.

Posted by fritz on September 20, 2009 at 8:47 AM (PDT)

Not to mention the decreased battery life several users were experiencing with the aluminum macbooks. Try searching with Google. And Firefox was crashing! I ended up downgrading to Leopard. I was so disappointed with my purchase of Snow Leopard.

Posted by Mark on September 21, 2009 at 4:53 AM (PDT)

Count me in as the 50% that’s getting multiple crashes a day with snow leopard.  My edit suite only has two software bundles installed: Final Cut Studio 2 & Adobe CS4.  Crashes are happening so frequently that my production has completely ground to a halt.  What’s worse is that my startup is crashing when I try to downgrade back to 10.5.

And it’s funny that you talk about the battery life issue on the new aluminum macbooks.  Mine is doing the exact same thing!

Snow Leopard sucks…at least for me.

Posted by Tyler on September 21, 2009 at 5:23 PM (PDT)

Snow Leopard, Snow Leopard, Snow Leopard… Why must you stomp on my face after kicking me in the groin? I’m trying to be nice to you, but you just don’t like that.

I cannot take your abuse. But I will seek revenge. I’m out for blood, and it’s your blood I taste, you damn rabies infested, can’t even catch a dead mouse Snow Leopard. You crashed Photoshop, Fireworks, Firefox, and iTunes all within 2 hours of install. Then you crashed FileZilla, Dreamweaver, and Safari within 2, 4, 6 hours of that.

I did nothing to you that suggests I deserve this. And if I miss my deadline for my client… Oh, little Snow Leopard I will kick your ###. I will twist your paw until it snaps and bite your ears until they bleed. I will pull your whiskers one by one. I will kick your ### until you’re “finely tuned,” and then kick it some more just for fun.

But, for now… for now, I’ll just go back to work and apologize for my frustration. You have done nothing wrong. It’s not your fault, it’s everyone else’s fault, including mine. Please forgive me all mighty Snow Leopard. Really, I’ve never been happier. Everyone has flaws, your flaws are just going to take some getting used to… I mean, I don’t know what I did to deserve such a “finely tuned” OS like you. You are perfect in every way. I love you Snow Leopard.

But, would it be okay if I invited Leopard back over for a while? I just don’t want my flaws to negatively impact you. So, I was thinking a little break might help me become a stronger person, someone who deserves you. Is that okay?

And Snow Leopard said no. Damn.

Posted by Sarge on September 22, 2009 at 5:31 AM (PDT)

I’ve been reading a lot of the posts and they all seem to be about crashing.  Lots of crashing.  Snow Leopard is ENDING MY SESSIONS and bringing me back to the login page at random (well, whenever filemaker pro or excel are open) without saving what i was working on.  If anyone has any idea how to fix this, help!  I feel a little like Alice trying to cut the cake for the lion and the unicorn. My work won’t save and I’m at a loss.  Yargh.

Posted by Carol on September 22, 2009 at 7:39 AM (PDT)

My Samsung LE40B550 LCD TV was working at 1920x1080 resolution on Mac OS 10.5. Since the upgrade Snow Leopard doesn’t offer this resolution the best one that works is 1600x1200.

Snow Leopard works with my HP C6180 all-in-one now. Previously the upgrade to 10.5 broke that.

Posted by Ross on September 22, 2009 at 11:50 AM (PDT)

Ever since installing Snow Leopard on top of a Leopard install on my iMac, I have had absolutely ZERO problems. Maybe I’m lucky?

Posted by ahMEmon on September 23, 2009 at 8:20 AM (PDT)

I was going to buy a Macbook Pro. Now I think I should wait. Maybe Apple has to ape Dell after Vista’s roll-out, and offer a downgrade option. Eek! Will the PC guy be laughing at the Mac dude in the next ad?

For all of you having issues, be sure to use Apple’s OS X Feedback web page. Apple doesn’t read forums/blogs/etc but they do keep up with feedback submitted on their own site.

Posted by Herr Doktor on September 23, 2009 at 8:53 AM (PDT)

I did 2 upgrades - one on a macbook (4 months old), one on an imac (8 months old) and one fresh install on a Mac Book Pro (2.5 years old)

I have had stability issues on all of them - some examples

- Spotlight froze looking for a 4 char string - to the point where relaunching finder didn’t even work - i had the use the power switch
- firefox on the mac book is incredibly unstable - spinning globe for very basic stuff
- takes longer to switch tasks
- entourage, which i realize was broken before is even more broken now - freezes/crashes
- MS office crashes all the time
- quicktime is awful - slow and doesn’t launch 1/2 the time

i realize that some of these things are software related and not necessarily SL - but really how can you launch a new OS without doing extensive testing on FF and office?

I am not happy

Posted by Jeffrey wheatman on September 23, 2009 at 11:04 AM (PDT)

I installed SL last night and now all my pictures in iphoto are gone. and   my computer does not see any photos on my ipod touch even though they are showing on the ipod touch so i have no way of transferring them back to iphoto. it shows the ipod but shows 0 items. I have over 1000 photos on it now.  How do I fix this?. I paid for a better operating system and got junk.

Posted by Chuck Bosshart on September 23, 2009 at 11:21 AM (PDT)

I am a total mac fan, but after this, I am really disappointed. After the upgrade NONE of my ipods will sync with itunes. Itunes just hangs there. 1 call to tech support, 1 trip with imac to genius bar and a complete reinstall/restore from time machine, and still no luck.  Trying to downgrade. but i lost my TM backups in the process.

Not a happy week.

Posted by MacRtst on September 23, 2009 at 11:56 AM (PDT)

@ross:
i had the same problem with my samsung led when upgrading to 10.5.8. what i got from the apple discussions, try the following:

go into displays preferences and click on the “show displays in menubar” checkbox.

click the the resulting icon in the menu bar and click on it to drop down the menu

select “number of recent items” and set it to 5.
choose one of the resulting 1080p resolutions from the dropdown. voila!

i know it sounds like voodoo, but it worked for me and i got full 1080p on my samsung led tv back with leopard and now snow leopard.

for the annoying crashes in SL:
unfortunately i suffer also from the same crashes when using the open/save dialog in nearly every application. :(
hope apple will fix this really soon with high priority, a shame it wasn’t fixed with 10.6.1

Posted by FatalFallacy on September 23, 2009 at 1:35 PM (PDT)

I just sent back a new 8 core Mac Pro. Wouldn’t even open. After a week of demanding another one with a Leopard OS they are sending another Snow Leopard machine. 10 days of nobody knows what or where from Apple and finally a real tech tells me that if the next machine being sent is a brand new machine with the hardware architechture set up for Snow Leopard, downgrading to Leopard will never work properly.
If the hardware was set originally for Leopard, then it can take the downgrade from SL to Leopard.
If not I will have to get my money back and look for a 3rd party Mac dealer who has an 8 core originally set up for Leopard.  What a mess!!!!!!!

Posted by Dennis on September 23, 2009 at 5:17 PM (PDT)

I am having stability problems with the following after installing SL:

When attaching a file (pdf or MS Office), sometimes Mail will hang up and needs to be Force Quit

Several of my apps (Letterbox, MailTags) are incompatible

I am truly surprised and dissapointed with all this.  Until now I was confident that Apple knew what they were doing.  Alas, that has turned out not to be so.

Hoping for an update soon….

Posted by Pravin on September 23, 2009 at 9:59 PM (PDT)

FIXED MINE!!

I posted earlier in this thread about my constant app crashing. At that point I had tried everything up to and including an erase install with only CS4, which still crashed.

What fixed it was a clean erase and install of everything ON A DIFFERENT HARD DRIVE. No importing or migrating.

There was and is nothing to indicate that the HD on which I had all the first two weeks of Snow Leopard hell, was faulty. BUT starting all over on a different one Snow Leopard has been completely stable.

Maybe worth a try if you are desperate, as I was.

Posted by Mike Boreham on September 23, 2009 at 10:12 PM (PDT)

Bought a basic MacBook Pro about 2 weeks ago.
6 days later, entire system crashed (with the mac version of a BSOD… you know, the nice little message saying to hold the power button down, while giving you absolutely nothing useful as to what happened) as I was just simply quitting some applications.

That’s actually the only big thing I’ve come across these two weeks so far (just some weird details that are more annoying than actually hindering)... after reading about 100 of the comments, I feel lucky…
But a friend’s going to help me install 10.5 anyway.

Posted by C.J. on September 24, 2009 at 12:32 AM (PDT)

I installed snow leopard and now I can’t stream live radio . I tried real player 11 but still nothing . What can I do now.

Posted by ottis and Leslie-Anne Steede on September 24, 2009 at 12:31 PM (PDT)

You can add me to the percentage that ARE experiencing problems.  All across the board.  And you know, the GUI seems clunky, clumsy and slow.  A “snappier, more responsive Finder”?  Not on your life.  The Finder is constantly crashing or getting hung up in coverflow.  This is garbage, I would expect something like this from Microsoft; seriously, this is WAY WAY below Apple quality.  If you upgrade to Snow Leopard, it really does feel like you’ve just replaced your $130 O.S. with a $30 O.S.  Apple better seriously get on the ball with this one.

Posted by Nick on September 25, 2009 at 1:06 AM (PDT)

Had 4 system crashes in one night with Snow Leopard. Application crashes before that. Never had issues like this before on Mac. And am not doing anything different. Apps and workloads are the same on multiple systems with previous OS (Leopard and Tiger - no crashes there).

Posted by Theo on September 25, 2009 at 6:21 AM (PDT)

After upgrading our Mac tonight to Snow Leopard, all of our photos from 2009 have been deleted.  The odd thing is that the iphoto library was on an external drive.  Every photo from 2008 and prior are still there.  It’s very disheartening ... I would have never had thought that an Apple product would be so bad.  I just hope nothing else goes wrong…but after reading the other comments so far, it doesn’t give me much hope.

Posted by DS on September 26, 2009 at 12:06 AM (PDT)

I updated my MacPro from 10.5.8 to 10.6.1 and had huge problems with stability. Opening multiple files wasn’t possible, even uploading multiple images via CMS on a website. The problem existed in EVERY program I’m using. MS Office, CS 4 and so on ...
I had to reinstall 10.5.8 from my backup to be able to go back to work. At least the restore worked fantasticly.

Posted by Bender on September 26, 2009 at 4:33 AM (PDT)

I have a brand new 20 inch iMac bought mid-September (09) which came preloaded with Snow Leopard. Ran Apple’s migration app to transfer files over from my old G5 iMac which runs 10.5.8. I did so with some trepidation, afraid of mixing apples with oranges (excuse the mixed metaphor but you get the idea); always fear possible corrupted old preferences getting in the way, especially going over to a new OS.
Well, I am pleased to report that all is well on my new iMac, with one exception: putting it to sleep and shutting it down takes forever: 75 seconds by actual timing. At first, I wondered if my new iMac’s motherboard had issues, but having read some posts here and elsewhere, now think that SL is to blame.

Guess it could be a lot worse, judging from what many of you have been posting. I have no problems with saving in Photoshop CS4 which I use a fair amount. Other apps seem fine, too. Do not like how Apple has gutted the feature set in the new Quicktime; missing most of the features of QT Pro. They dumbed it down, just like they did to iMovie recently. What a drag.

I do agree with one poster that there are color issues with the new OS. I tried printing a big job of over 100 pages of photos on both a brand new out of the box HP 4680 (yes, I know, not a pro machine by any means but I thought I’d try it and see how good it was on color matching; it wasn’t) and also on a vintage HP Deskjet 960. Both had sepia color casts and rather faint, washed out print output. So.. guess what I did? Went back to my old G5 iMac, installed a three year old HP driver v3.3 for their old 960 and got the color I wanted and some decent prints. Client is happy. What a tank that old HP 960 is… like the Energizer Bunny…keeps going and going. That machine must be pushing ten years old? I forget.

Posted by Dave on Cape Cod on September 26, 2009 at 3:04 PM (PDT)

There are many odd things going on: I did a clean instal on a remapped (zeroed) disc so its not my migration issue.
Photoshop hangs on startup, need to logout to get it going.
Mail cannot connect to my japanese mail provider so I switched to Entourage and it was straight to the job. Hours wasted trying mail.
Had to reformat a flash drive to do a successful copy after machine froze during first two tries.
Could not do partial installs from either CS4 or Microsoft Office dvds. Selected but went back to default.
Finder prefs are constantly returning to their default setings, which is dam annoying to be fare.
Mouse is also returning to its default speed.

Posted by rs studio on September 27, 2009 at 10:02 PM (PDT)

Snow Leopard has been one of the worst computing problems I have EVER had in 20 years of Computers including WINDOWs. I upgraded MULTIPLE machines, all within ONE YEAR OLD, independent of one another. 2 Clean installs, 2 upgrades. Snow Leopard has to be the biggest POS OS I have ever encountered. It is the Apple Vista. Opening media files and my whole F+ing screen goes black and not one button on the keyboard does anything to escape it. I have to yank the f+ing power cord out of the back/ hold down power, what ever it takes to cut the electricity. Safari crashes AT LEAST 6 - 10 PER DAY. Almost every DVD freezes and says” Skipping Damaged Area.”
On Filevault turn-on at the end of an 8 hour encryption, says it could not encrypt everything, and now all the time on shut down says reclaiming lost disk space.
Leopard was FINE. This OS is so bad I am REFORMATTING my machine and putting the original OS back on this week.
If I were new to Apple I would never leave Windows. If this were my first impression of Apple… Jesus. What the hell has Apple done?!!
Since my regular iPhone 3 G got upgraded that has been a crashing f+ing nightmare as well. Apple has become Google-Microsoft. THANKS!

Posted by T on September 27, 2009 at 10:33 PM (PDT)

i found out my crashes in open and save dialogs stop, when i open and save to (nearly) empty directories - or in larger directories - wait until the directory contents (and their preview icons) have been fully loaded and harddrive activity has stopped. so imho it seems that there is a snow leopard programming bug that brings the application down when aborting the reading of the directory content by not letting it read completely when selecting a file in the meanwhile or closing the box when entering a filename, etc.

Posted by FatalFallacy on September 28, 2009 at 10:30 AM (PDT)

I know better but did it anyway. Bought 5 brand new ibooks direct from Apple for upgrading users here. I knew they were going to come with Snow Leopard 10.6. I have a policy, “never update to a new OS for 6 months” but I didn’t want to downgrade these brand new machines back to 10.5.8. So i migrated my users over from their old machines and that’s where the trouble started. Sudden reboots/restarts?, old PhotoShop version broke, etc. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! I should have wiped the new ibooks and just cloned the old machines over. Next time I’ll buy used machines off eBay and just clone over them. No more new purchased from Apple when they’re in a OS transition.

Posted by Ken Jenkins on September 28, 2009 at 12:07 PM (PDT)

I have to weigh in: I bought an iMac, and it shipped the day SL was released, though it did NOT have SL installed. I bought the os. The first disc didn’t install due to “an error with the disc.” After cleaning it a million times Apple shipped a new one, 2 wks later. Same problems!! So, I did a clean install. And now it crashes like nobody’s business. Can’t get firefox to even install!! Can’t change screen saver or desktop image b/c it CRASHES!!! EVERY TIME! Only the widgets that come with SL are usable. EVERY other widget crashes out. This is absolutely horrifying. There is nothing special about the iMac (24” 2.93 GHz 4GB RAM) and it’s completely unstable! It’s ridiculous!!

Posted by SkippyJunior on September 28, 2009 at 1:40 PM (PDT)

Since installing Snow Leopard, I am having problems launching. About once every 10 times, my iMac simply will not launch and I have to power-off and restart. My son says it sounds like Snow Leopard problem, as this never happened before the “upgreade.”

Posted by Ron Eade on September 29, 2009 at 7:42 AM (PDT)

SL won’t recognize 8Gigs of 3rd party RAM that was fine with Leopard?????

Fixed the lack of appletalk issue with IP addresses etc. but not sure if this upgrade is worth it…

Dan

Posted by Daniel Farrell on September 29, 2009 at 12:49 PM (PDT)

10.6.1 made my Mac Mini 3,1 unusable. I killed my 20” white iMac with leopard so you’d think I woulda learned.

Last night I did a clean install from the SL disk, restored my data from Time Machine and DID NOT install the 10.6.1 update. 10.6.0 seems ok so far.

Today I think I’ll stroll to the Apple shop on Flinders St. and ask if they’ve heard of any problems with SL.

What do you reckon they’ll say?

Mack

Posted by Mack on September 29, 2009 at 5:11 PM (PDT)

Nice to know isn’t just me.

Upgraded to SL.1 from L.7 on MBP 15”/2.5ghz/4Gb w/ no problems thus far (but since it’s the wife’s machine it doesn’t get much use)—Mail, Safari and iTunes are stable using an Airport N / cable modem connection.

On the other hand, purchased a Nehalem Mac Pro quad 2.66ghz/8Gb last week which shipped w/ SL installed and would not boot out of the box. Booted from included SL DVD, verified HD, erased and performed a clean install. Now Mail, Safari and iTunes all randomly refuse to connect to the Internet (via wired Airport Extreme N / cable modem connection) on startup, wake from sleep or restart. Can usually resolve w/ a restart (but not always).

Have noted some other flaky behaviors (an uninstaller did not work, some preference settings ignored / changed, etc). And, perhaps a result of SL problems, or not, an OCZ 120Gb SSD simply “disappeared” while being burned-in and prepared as a boot drive (apparently after Spotlight attempted to index it before any data was written to it according to the system log).

Have a Mini 2Duo/1.83ghz/1Gb running Tiger.11 which is incredibly stable, if a bit slow—maybe some more RAM or larger HDD, but no SL upgrade for it.

And looks like I’ll be installing 10.5 on the Nehalem for now…

Dave

Posted by cavedog57 on September 29, 2009 at 6:57 PM (PDT)

I will say that it’s 65/35 in my house. 3 computers (2 MacBooks, 1 Mac Mini), two are fine (my MacBook and the Mini) but Safari on my wife’s computer is, to put it politely, being a little #####. We’ve uninstalled EVERY plug-in and “hack” (the only input manager we use is Saft); tried it in 64-bit and 32-bit mode with and without plug-ins and input managers (yes, all four configurations); reinstalled the Combo update; tried to reinstall Safari, but found that the version for download at Apple says that my version of OS X isn’t recent enough, and requires 10.5.8(!); removed the bookmarks file from her browser; everything shy of a clean install (yay, Apple, for finally catching up to Microsoft circa 1994!). Unfortunately, I’m away from home and won’t return until Thanksgiving, and she’s not confident enough to undertake that task alone.

You know what the one difference we’ve discovered between our installs is, btw? She has more bookmarks. That’s it. Every preference is the same. We have the same plug-ins. We both use Saft, with the same settings. We both have the same applications installed (actually, I have more than she does). Hardware-wise, I have double the RAM, but the mini has less than either of our laptops, and has no problems at all. The mini has basically nothing on it: no bookmarks to speak of, very few third party apps, minimal plug-ins.

I’m really baffled by this, and I’m not usually one to have problems figuring these things out. I’m also a little annoyed as well. I expect more out of Apple.

Posted by Michael on September 30, 2009 at 12:40 AM (PDT)

I’ve read most of the comments… I have something to contribute. I get consistent crashes whenever I am in an open or save dialog and I use spotlight. What will happen is that the file will appear, I will open it, then the program will freeze. I’ve noticed this across all programs whether they are from Apple, Adobe, or other third parties. My install is not unique… I have lots of fonts, but nothing special. All features of SL seem to be working properly and I don’t notice any wierd messages in the system.log… so in case I’m the genius here and nobody has clued into the fact that crashes predictably occur after using spotlight on SL within open/save dialogs, then here you go…

To work-around this problem, I have been using Finder to locate the files, then navigating to them in the dialogs… Dragging and dropping doesn’t seem to work either when you use the finder and drag onto the dialog…

Hope this helps.

Posted by Sam S on September 30, 2009 at 7:51 AM (PDT)

I’ve downloaded all of the required Espon RX-580 updates along with Rosetta… I still can’t use the Print CD. The Scanner and Printer work fine. I really enjoy burning and designing and printing my own CDs. Now I can’t! Help us out Epson or Apple.

Posted by Ditto on September 30, 2009 at 2:30 PM (PDT)

And I’m yet another unsatsfied customer. I Have two Macs. One is a 2007 iMac, The other one is 2009 MacBook Pro.
The iMac sucks wind after I upgraded. ( Timemachine is broken and is only does full backups now, - I switched to Carbon Copy ). Firebox and Safari barf when they load certain pages. Parallels video driver just went nuts and filled my screen with garbage. And I have random things happen with other software I use. Oh yeah, draggng and dropping “Spaces” icons from one space to anoither is really slow.
My 2009 Macbook Pro hums along without a care in the world.
Both systems run the same software. In fact the 2009 machine runs an image of the iMac. I upgraded the MacBook after I installed the iMac image!!!

Posted by Tony on September 30, 2009 at 8:58 PM (PDT)

UPDATE: #92 hit the nail on the head, at least for me. Had my wife Safe Boot, connect to the wireless network, run the computer for a while (browsing the web, Mail, iTunes, her normal stuff), then do a normal reboot. After the normal reboot, her system is running fine. Safari doesn’t crash anymore, Mail is working the way it’s supposed to, the fans aren’t ramping up inexplicably.

Again: SAFE BOOT YOUR MACHINE, RUN WHATEVER YOU’RE HAVING A PROBLEM WITH, THEN REBOOT NORMALLY.

Maybe it won’t work for everyone, but it certainly won’t hurt. Safe Boot is apparently overwriting and correcting preferences and permissions to correct whatever is causing the problems with certain installs.

Posted by Michael on September 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM (PDT)

I’ve upgraded 2 systems as well.  MacBook and MacPro.  Very impressed with the space recovered but very disappointed because it crashes worse than Vista.  I’ve been a huge defender of Apple in recent years, but I am eating my words right now.  I’ll try the advice of #142 and pray that it resolves.  Until then . . . I’m part of the 40% who’ve been disappointed.

Posted by Troy on October 2, 2009 at 4:14 AM (PDT)

It is okay to acknowledge a plethora of problems with the Snow Leopard releases that are presently out there.  What galls me is the fact that PC lovers are doing all this piping in on how stable Vista is compared to Snow Leopard at the present time.  The major problem with this thinking is that it took Microsoft a long, long time to iron out the problems with Vista to the point where it became workable.  Snow Leopard had introduced some major coding upgrades to take advantage of technology that is in it’s infancy in the hardware/firmware/software arena.  It will be awhile before some of these problems are ironed out.  It’s true there is no excuse for releasing the OS with these types of problems; it is just reminiscient of what was done with Vista.

Posted by Bob on October 2, 2009 at 7:51 AM (PDT)

Software updates after installing/upgrading to Snow Leopard worked for me. I got no problem AT ALL.

Posted by Mxm on October 2, 2009 at 7:42 PM (PDT)

I must have a flawed DVD.

I have only once made it NEARLY to the end of installation only to be greeted by the big yellow triangle. Since then, the DVD won’t stay in my drive for more than 30 secs. I wiped my HD and tried it from scratch. Snow Lep wasn’t interested. With the problems I’m reading about it on the web, I’m not sure I want it on. I reinstalled cuddly warm Leopard again and have updated that. All is good again.

The more PC friendly Macs get the more problems we seem to get. Issuing an upgrade like this with all it’s flaws is a tried and trusted Gates method. Churn out some rubbish and we’ll have the fools tell us what’s wrong with it and issue some bug fixes.

Just how much did that transplant cost STEVE!

Posted by Porl Ferguson on October 3, 2009 at 7:12 AM (PDT)

I HATE snow leopard. IT was the bane of my existence.  I am pro photographer and as soon as it was installed I could not save an image, crashed immediately everytime.  Mail would crash whenever I tried to attach an image, I could go on and on.

I got fed up.  Backed up everything on the HD and wiped the HD so I could re-install Leopard.  No problems now!!

I am just waiting to hear that Snow Leopard is fixed or redone.

So, upset that I spent $60 (I have multiple computers).  Waste of money and TONS of time backing up, re-installing all my programs - what a complete nightmare!!!!

Posted by Karla on October 3, 2009 at 7:15 AM (PDT)

Thank you to everyone who has been so helpful regarding the decision on whether or not to upgrade to Snow Leopard.  I am one of the least tech-savvy people on the planet but I have always believed that if I’m going to pay for an upgrade it should work.  I just don’t see how that attitude can be viewed as unreasonable,  especially when the vast majority of error messages I encounter on PC’s and Macs are in a language I can barely decipher.  On the rare occasions I’ve had problems, particularly when I first purchased my iMac, the help desk in Australia was completely bloody useless.  These days I only ever go into the store in Perth and speak to a real human being who then translates into English.  Thankfully my iMac is purely for personal use so this little black duck is going to wait until this uncertainty is sorted.  (By the way, I still adore my iMac!)

Posted by Michael Malouf on October 3, 2009 at 11:57 PM (PDT)

I do have problems with Mail, seems it can download only from 7 accounts simultaneously, if you have eight accounts it will randomly put off line one of them each time you are downloading.
Also problems with power point, it can not recognize some fonts that were always in use (this is a nightmare for me since it don’t recognize some corporate fonts too)
I will not upgrade if i would know.

Posted by aleks oxide on October 4, 2009 at 2:28 AM (PDT)

I have a brand-spanking new unibody Macbook Pro, and I am guaranteed a kernel panic in 10.6 if Mail 4.1 is not closed down cleanly before I restart. Mail 4.1 is clearly unhappy if you’re in a hurry and don’t close it separately, and it also seems to have problems getting back online after I wake the MBP up.

I’ve had this happen twice in two weeks, and re-running the 10.6 installer to heal the kernel is already old hat. This is really bush-league stuff from Apple, particularly after I’d had such good experiences with 10.4 and 10.5

Posted by adam on October 5, 2009 at 5:02 AM (PDT)

iMovie has turned into a Micrsoft product after my SL install.  It never crashed before under Leopard and it crashed on me three times in an hour and a half while working on a three minute video recently.  Certainly not a resource hogging project.  I have 4 gb of memory and my MacBook Pro is an early 2009 model.  It crashes on me at least once a day now.  Very frustrating.

Posted by Bob on October 5, 2009 at 2:37 PM (PDT)

Macrumors has it that 10.6.2 is being seeded to developers. I hope this fixe the Photoshop save crash problem.
SL ranks right up there with Vista when it came out!! God help Apple.

Posted by Amos on October 5, 2009 at 5:07 PM (PDT)

I have installed snow leopard on 2 machines a IMAC bought in May2009 and an Mac Air brand new.  I have the following issues with IMAC: Canon Scanner software refused to work after install had to download new version from canon website and issue fixed, Iphoto very unstable hangs the system sporadically seems very slow. widgets on my desktop crash often so i assume these developers need to catch up. cannot tell any speed difference between leopard and SL, WD drive manager backup software crashed with a error and would not let me close it down. MacAIR not really using yet so difficult to tell, installed over the air from the CD drive on the IMAC and that worked fine also got time machine working over the air with a WD mybook.  Most annoying issue is my tata photon+ install software will not work as it crashes with an unexpected error on initialization and wont let the install take place ,  it worked fine on 10.5 and I wish I had installed before I upgraded and now I cant use my brand new macair on the move which is totally annoying

Posted by gavin preston on October 5, 2009 at 11:16 PM (PDT)

Installed Snow Leopard on 2 computers - works perfectly on my newer Mac mini - absolutely the worst Mac experience I’ve ever had on my MacBppk Pro (and I started on a 128K Mac oh so many years ago). I’ve been able to find no workable solutions to the problems I’m encountering (mostly, all the apps I need for my business crash at random). Guess I’ll have to use my vacation time to fix this unfortunate mess.

Posted by David on October 6, 2009 at 7:39 AM (PDT)

great news!
i got my problems fixed by following this instructions, i found at the apple discussions:

Anyone that’s getting crashes whenever the system tries to save or open docs should try this:

-1. Start by opening System Preferences
-2. Select ‘Sharing’ from the Internet & Wireless section
-3. From the list on the left choose ‘File Sharing’ and turn it off.
-4. Delete anything listed in the Shared Folders section
-5. Turn File Sharing back on
-6. Log out, then Log back in
-7. Done!!

credits go to mr.pi at apple-discussions!

Posted by FatalFallacy on October 6, 2009 at 9:48 AM (PDT)

Son of a dog, FatalFallacy - that worked!  I can read/write to the directories which always caused Lightroom, Disk Utility, Text Edit crash.  Huzzah!

Posted by Charles Robinson on October 6, 2009 at 1:41 PM (PDT)

Had similar issues, itunes crashes etc. Problems went away when I ran disk repair and ran the SL install again

Posted by moriarty on October 6, 2009 at 3:02 PM (PDT)

I agree with #99. I feel like I’m trapped in failure city. Ever since I installed OS 10.6.1 on my MacBook Pro (six months old) I can’t open any MS Office programs. All I get is the spinning ball of death. Help! I’ve got work that I have to get done!

Posted by Bob on October 6, 2009 at 5:33 PM (PDT)

I must be one of the lucky ones. I upgraded from Leopard via a 10.6.0 upgrade DVD. This was the smoothest, easiest OS X upgrade ever: just a double-click of the disc’s icon, and less than an hour later, everything (accounts, apps, networking, etc.) - was right where I left it pre-upgrade, only faster. Software Update dutifully informed me of the 10.6.1 update, and this also went without a hitch. I checked and sent e-mail from the Mail app, performed Facebook operations in Safari, opened and saved a spreadsheet in Excel 2008, and printed a file. All without crashes or any other glitches.

So you know where I’m coming from:
- this is on one of the first of the current iMac line, a 24” model from Sept. 2007; it came with OS X 10.4, upgraded to 10.5
- a few months back (for reasons unrelated to Snow Leopard), I wiped the HD clean, reinstalled everything from scratch, recreated my user account, and restored critical files from a (non-Time Machine) backup
- I repaired permissions on and backed up the HD, then closed every application, before starting the Snow Leopard upgrade
- I re-repaired permissions before and after the 10.6.1 update

Time will tell if my luck holds up, but so far, so good!

Posted by Herr Doktor on October 7, 2009 at 6:56 AM (PDT)

Trouble free usage here for two years then I installed Snow Leopard.  I wish I had never heard of it.  Both Apple and third party programs can take up to 30 seconds to load (notably Apple’s Dictionary app). Also programs are quitting unexpectedly.
What should be a professional upgrade has turned my computer to garbage.
I wonder if Apple will refund my money.  I certainly didn’t get what I paid for.

Posted by Jamey Williams on October 10, 2009 at 2:44 AM (PDT)

I have a new macbook pro and an old imac. My wife also has a macbook pro. All three computers running snow leopard experience constant crashes. This has to be an embarrassment for Apple. Jobs that should take me 15 minutes end up taking an hour because I can’t save my work. I’ve always loved my macs, but lately I’m wishing was was on the pc my coworker uses. He is able to get his work done where I end up re-doing my work over and over because I can’t save files. The upgrade to 10.6.1 hasn’t helped. Oh and my printer isn’t supported either. It’s an hp.

Posted by rburch on October 10, 2009 at 4:45 PM (PDT)

I’m a career-long Mac user, but I’ve been greatly disappointed by Snow Leopard. I bought a aluminium MBP 2.8 GHz 4GB this summer and upgraded to SL a week or two after the ungrade DVD arrived in the mail from Apple.
Fortunately my system or applications crash only ‘occasionally’ - though the past 6 weeks have seen many more crashes that I normally have in a full year.
My main problem is that SL is excrucriatingly slow. The spinning pizza is everywhere - loading browser pages (Firefox AND Safari), opening files, and most frustratingly, when switching messages or folders in Entourage. And once it hangs on an action in some application, most of the time I can’t even swicht to another application until the original glacial action has been solved. Under Leopard (and even System 9) I could let Entourage sort out its download issues in the background and check the news on a browser. That was stable multitasking - Snow Leopard seems to hold my entire system hostage to whatever problem is occupying its limited brainpower. That’s bad enough when it’s stuck in a problem in an application where I’m working; but it’s insufferable when a scheduled email download (which I have to do because my work email comes through an exchange server) or some other background function chokes up what I’m actively working on in a different application.
I would think that Apple should have come out with an update to fix these issues by now, but so far, nothing… For now I’m shutting down all non-essentials (including wireless internet access unless I’m surfing or emailing) to at least minimize the number of interruptions when editing documents, but this really is not how I remember Macs to work.

Posted by Peter Paul on October 12, 2009 at 3:56 PM (PDT)

Further to my earlier post (#160) regarding the ‘upgrade’ to OS 10.6.1, Finder and Safari have now decided to crash at random intervals while Time Machine is returning, bizarre results and also crashing.

It has reached the stage that I have lost all confidence in my computer and now consider it totally unfit for any further business related use.

If anyone hears news of a “fix” in the pipeline from Apple could you please post details in here.

Posted by Jamey on October 12, 2009 at 8:26 PM (PDT)

Word and Excel both incredibly slow to load - over 60 seconds for Excel and about 50secs for Word.

Whole machine is slower than before. Word crashes, Safari crashes.

Not happy!

Intel iMac 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2Gb memory 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted by Tim on October 12, 2009 at 9:15 PM (PDT)

Thanks for speaking up Jeremy!
Same problem as #97 with Quick Look crashing the hell out of my MBP 17” (2.4MHz - 2007) and a multitude of erratic behavior primarily with Apple applications (Safari, TextEdit, Quick Look, Dock).
It did look promising at first in terms of speed, the only thing that is still fast now is shutdown - about 3 seconds - duh!
Happy for the people without problems, however, was just wondering how mom and pop are doing whom don’t have a clue about fixing anything? Snow Leopard has been released waaaaaay too soon IMHO. Yup, didn’t do a clean install as it was primarily presented as an upgrade and I was wondering what kind of problems would show up before doing a clean install. Apparently a lot of users have problems with a clean install as well. Agreed, a lot of developers were lagging with their SL prep, but Apple is not without blame either and could have done a better job before releasing this immature OS.

Posted by azdawg on October 14, 2009 at 7:04 PM (PDT)

Apple have morphed into microsoft.

Used Macs since ‘92 and I have preached to Windows users at how good Macs are and how they “just work”.

To my horror I couldn’t send any email after upgrading to SL. A download and this was sorted.  However, a bug like this should not have got through - I mean Apple’s own Mail App incapable of sending mail !!

I think Apple should sort the incompatability problems out with older software such as Dreamweaver MX 2004 by giving us an optional update that covers the problem.  Due to the current economic climate it is difficult for small businesses like mine to splash out on upgrades they weren’t planning for and didn’t need to do due to the software “doing the job”  I upgraded from Tiger which was OK and now wish I hadn’t waited for Snow Leopard and just done the Leopard.  Fortunately I haven’t upgraded my Macbook so I can work around these issues.

Come on Apple get off your arse and sort out this piece of crap you’ve made.

Posted by Graham on October 15, 2009 at 3:37 AM (PDT)

Running Snow Leopard on a MacAir and a MacPro.

Haven’t had any -horrible- problems, but there are issues.

With both machines, unable to turn off wi-fi in Airport.

Setting up a brand new (tested elsewhere) Airport Express, either unable to join the network or, if able to connect, unable to connect to my PPPoE service. (Works ok with ethernet cable.)

Because I cannot access the Airport Express and setup the network, I’m unable to supply wi-fi to my customers at my business.

I hope updates are coming soon!

Posted by DJJackD on October 19, 2009 at 6:52 AM (PDT)

Snow Leopard is a huge problem. Safari window disappeared, can’t be found. Tried to install Safari download, says my system has to be higher than 10.5.8, but I have Snow Leopard! Various programs crash intermittently. Doesn’t recognize an external drive I use for backup. Lost about 90% of my iPhotos, can’t retrieve. Did Microsoft buy out Apple by any chance?

Posted by David Ord on October 20, 2009 at 12:02 PM (PDT)

just buy a new one for worked great!!!!!!!!!

Posted by mrdead on October 20, 2009 at 12:07 PM (PDT)

My PC contracted it’s second trojan this year, so I decided to spend the big bucks on a MBP..thinking,“Nobody I know who has a Mac ever said they regretted the choice.” Sigh. There are so many wonderful features, except that they don’t work, or they work sometime…randomly. I loose internet connection for no apparent reason, mail won’t work except for short periods of time when I have my modem,s firewall turned off. I hate this ##**##.  Yes it came with snow leopard installed. So sad. I just feel like an idiot for falling for the Apple hype. Oh,and if I could just get back the time I wasted thinking that I was doing something wrong…well I’d be young again.

Posted by Sylvia Stassforth on October 26, 2009 at 6:30 PM (PDT)

In the beginning it looked kind of ok, but then after a week the problems really start to be obvious. For me that is mostly in the wireless performance. It takes 5 minutes or more even to open up a website. I looked into it and I can’t find anything that could make it perform better. I also have the feeling that the overall performance is not so good. I installed it on a Macbook 13,5 inch unibody. And I am happy I didn’t take it to my iMac and Mac mini. I am really disappointed, especially because there is no noise coming from Apple over this. I hope they come with a solution fast. In the meantime I will reverse the install or try a clean one.

Posted by Pieter Nieuwenhuijs on October 27, 2009 at 3:01 AM (PDT)

Finally!!! I was beginning to wonder why I didn’t wee more about this obvious o/sxsl problem. I have experienced crashes on file operations since day one. I love my MacBookPro but this is getting “old” faster than I am!
I have reinstalled and no change….I will put up with the annoyance for awhile; if no solution I will go “back.”

Posted by William Stratton on October 27, 2009 at 9:08 AM (PDT)

@139 - I have exactly the same problem - most things work fine but if I use spotlight from a ‘save file’ or ‘open file’ dialogue box it crashes the app… ANY app; firefox, textedit, adobe CS4 apps, you name it. I’ve completely wiped my macbook pro and started again with a fresh install thinking this would help but the problem remains. I don’t actually recall this happening with the out of the box install, so it may be a 10.6.1 problem? I may have just not noticed it initially however. Other than that I’ve had no problems, but then I don’t use Apple Mail grin

It’s the first time I’ve had any real stability problems with my mac. I really hope they sort it soon as if this drags on it could be really damaging for Apple - stability has always been one of their strongest assets.

Posted by Andy Eagles on October 28, 2009 at 6:37 PM (PDT)

I recently loaded Snow Leopard, thinking it to be compatible with Leopard - such a mistake.
I now have all sorts of problems with PS (saving files) file size fluctuations way beyond what could be expected with layers.
My printer can’t access my custom profiles - loads of hanging - crashed four times now - that hasn’t happened for at least two years - files disappearing suddenly! PS working on two layers at a time (unlinked!) - pardon !!!

I’m now going to do a clean install as that seems to be the only answer in town, hate to think how long that’s going to take - Sadly the upshot of this is that I’ve now completely lost confidence in new updates - SN released way to early.

However it’s good to hear that some folk have had no problems.

Don

Posted by DonL on October 30, 2009 at 8:39 AM (PDT)

Using Acrobat Pro, the “distiller” pdf printer that comes with it would save files nicely, always smaller than the pdf print feature of OS-X…  Now with Snow Leopard Adobe Acrobat PRo distiller PDF PRinter doesnt work, so Apple suposedly added a new feature of Adobe PDF print further down the left bottom corner button for printing…

IT works BUT While LEopard with Distiller printer gave a file of about 600kb, Snow Leopard with the Adobe pdf print option saves to a size of 1.5 meg….

Will apple and Adobe ever get together to work this out?  IT seems they dont like talking to each other…

PEace
Don

Posted by Don on October 30, 2009 at 7:29 PM (PDT)

I wanted to comment on the SL crashes.  I just bought the new MacBook 2.26 GHz Core Duo with 4 GB of Ram and I have had problems maintaining connection to my school’s wireless and my wifi at home.  The amazing thing is that the network assistant keeps crashing and of course since I am not on the internet the report does not get sent to apple.  It appears Apple is claiming the connectivity issues are with the routers and not their software but I find it hard to believe that every router is out of spec. BTW I found if I boot up in safe mode and use the disk repair utility to repair permissions I get stronger airport signal and can connect for hours, but the fix only works for a few days then you have to do it again.

Posted by Jennifer on November 3, 2009 at 4:40 PM (PDT)

I have double-trouble. In one day I have open my MeMobile account and I instal SnowLeopard system. Total mess. I can not instal or upgrade anything and my mail sometimes get/send mail and sometimes don’t. Frustrating as hell.
And I spending my time reading forums ... I found a recipe how to instal upgrade to 10.6.1 (have to delete a “com.apple.HIToolbox ... ” files and so on - but that’s sucks - i want a mac because is “problem free”. I don’t want to be in “install” expert.

Posted by Alen on November 4, 2009 at 4:51 PM (PDT)

I have been using Macs almost since they were first sold. I am so used to Macs working well that I almost abandoned my 4 1/2 year old Power Mac G5 with Tiger to buy a new iMac with Snow Leopard.

Fortunately, I read the postings here, as well as in other forums on SL, where many people are reporting problems. Many of the reviews of SL on Apple Computers’ own Web site are expressing extreme dissatisfaction.

So I guess I’ll wait until 10.6.11 comes out. I’ll also have to stop telling my friends with Windows how great Macs are.

And, ironically, one of the current Mac commercials indicates how great the Mac is compared to Windows 7 and earlier Windows operating systems. It may be that SL is worse than Vista!

Posted by Monty on November 6, 2009 at 10:56 AM (PDT)

Switch to a real PC and load Windows 7!  It works great and is fast!  Sorry Mac folks, but Apple is NOT the answer.

Posted by DJ on November 7, 2009 at 12:32 AM (PDT)

Ohhh man. I’m wasting time on fixing my imac. I’m very disappointed. feels like my vista experience. I jumped ship, to skip this ####. with limited hardware, and limited software (compared to PC), this shouldn’t have happened. A Major F-Up. so there is no difference after all… I have an old PC with XP sp3, a charm! fast as hell.
this is bad for the apple community. the better start on osx 11 (codename butterfly or so) and forget this bad day in history.
I got stuck in the snow. searching further for solutions…
Likely clean install….F*!

ps: I hate the duplicates in my mailbox!

Posted by Mike on November 7, 2009 at 2:29 PM (PDT)

Yeah snow leopards sucks.  I’m going back to leopard tomorrow.  Not worth the down time.  I already took my wifes back to leopard so she is speaking to me again.

Steve Jobs, Woz….what went wrong??

Posted by Jan on November 8, 2009 at 5:09 PM (PDT)

Boy I thought it was just me! Apple should be ashamed of itself! Bought a new IMAC 22 inch last week. Had an information transfer done from my old MAC OS 10.4 to the new computer by the MAC store. When I got it home, plugged everything in, pressed the power button on the back, all I got was a blank white screen for five minutes!, just stayed like that forever after several attempts, finally after trying to turn off the power and try starting up with the control key pressed I got it to start up, took forever. OK this is not good. Finally got it up to the desktop so I could try some things. Since then I have had problems (here goes) (1) with the e-mail not connecting to the server delays or not recognizing a mailbox (2) the wireless mouse wont connect (despite following the instructions) or work if I use a plug in USB keyboard (3) When I try to save Preview edited photos back to the same file I opened them the Terminal lcon appears in the dock and the photos files open as a terminal linux text file, can barely quit the Terminal app in the dock (4) various previous OS 10.4 add on applications won’t open or crash. Since then I’ve spent hours checking on software updates, removed, uninstalled and trashed the old apps and reinstalled updates and restarted zapping the PRAM four or five times at each restart. It seemed to help a little with the previous incompatible 10.4 previous software that was transferred to the new computer such as Tech Tool pro, ClamXav, Kodak Easy Share, Epson drivers, Brother Laser drivers, The Print shop updates, YASU utility, MAC Janitor, QuickTime, Real Player, Photoshop Elements 4, and I’m still trying to investigate other apps and files and folders that didn’t come with snow leopard.(5) When I run DISK utilities I get a message “MACOSX:upd Inteldmg” can not be repaired and cannot be removed” What the hell is this? (6) Am going to try a restore in place after I get all the apps checked out, but like most folks who have been a lifetime MAC user am very disappointed with all these problems, it seems (and my limited technical intuition) that many have been exacerbated by the file and info transfer from OS 10.4 to the new computer, Hopefully this will alleviate all these weird problems. Next I am going to take advantage of my free 90 day phone calls and let the reps know about all these problems, and if I can get thru to apple tech support send them a copy of these comments too. I suggest everyone else do the same!

Posted by Bill on November 11, 2009 at 2:55 PM (PDT)

Late 2008 MBP. Upgraded in place from Leopard. Had no problems before, and no problems just after the upgrade. But last couple of weeks my system has had seriously more problems than before: i often see the colored waiting/busy cursor, and even de older watch busy cursor. I have installed iStat to monitor what is going on, but lots of times it looks as the CPU is below 50%, while i have to wait for the system to respond.

I occasionaly reboot, giving the system a chance to clear any caches or whatever that might be building up.

I already planned a RAM upgrade (2GB now, going to 4), so maybe that will help.

Sure, software is predicatable. And since Apple is even more monopolistic than Microsoft, the hardware <> OS-combination shouldn’t be the trouble. But if software is a trouble for so many people and some people think it is obvious you should do a clean install, why does Apple let us do an inplace install? And: for lots of people, a clean install is a LOT of work. I think it’s reasonable to expect an inplace install wouldn’t be causing problems for so many people…

Posted by Raoul Teeuwen on November 19, 2009 at 12:08 PM (PDT)

Snow Leopard is without a doubt the worst upgrade I’ve ever seen coming out of Apple.  I installed 10.6 on my MBA about 3 weeks ago and I’ve been regretting it ever since.  Mail and Safari both hang the system and both do it randomly so that it’s almost impossible to debug.  After the install, my MBA had forgotten about all the printers I had installed previously.  When re-installing them, it didn’t have the correct HP printer drivers so I had to download those also.  There’s a whole bunch of other issues, but since Mail hangs the system about twice a day all of those seem minor.

Posted by Juan on November 20, 2009 at 9:37 PM (PDT)

Looks like the new update 10.6.2 fixes everything! at least it works fine now.

I experienced many of the same problems.  I had all adobe products (photoshop etc) crashing periodically, especially while saving.  Safari would do it often too. Since the upgrade I am using adobe seamlessly and haven’t experienced a crash yet.  Lets hope this keeps up.

Posted by Billy on November 22, 2009 at 4:42 AM (PDT)

I just bought a new 27” iMac for DTP-purposes, so Indesign CS4 will be used most of the time.

The Mac came with Snow Leopard 10.6.2 pre-installed and after installing the CS4 Design Standard Suite, everything works fine, except INDESIGN. The program launches, but as soon as I create a new blank document, Indesign is “not responding”. So when I click “OK” after I set the ‘Paper Size’ in the ‘New Document Window’, I get the rotating coloured disc and Indesign hangs. I have to ‘Force Quit’
Same thing when I open an existing document I made on another Mac: it opens and I can see it, but Indesign crashes.

After looking for a solution on different forums and sites, these are the things I tried but did not make any difference:
- update everything to the latest version (6.0.4 for Indesign for example)
- disable “preflighting” and “link checking” in Indesign
- uninstall all Microsoft Office components and fonts
- delete the automatically created Adobe PDF printer in System Prefs
- use another mouse
- delete/replace Indesign preferences (4-key combo)
- delete Recovery files and folders

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANOTHER SUGGESTION???
and is there a way to go back to OS 10.6.1? (‘cause I have a MacPro 8-core that runs 10.6.1 and there Indesign works fine…)

This is really a joke. I buy the newest Mac and install legal software which most mac-people use every day and I can’t even create a blank document. All I can do is set aside this beautiful machine and go back working on my old iMac under OS 10.5.8 where everything works fine.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Posted by Neil on November 23, 2009 at 4:05 AM (PDT)

I installed snow leopard last night.  Safari has already crashed once.  Additionally, I have strange files in the root fs: eg: /.hostfiles.btree,
/.fseventsd directory ??

Posted by christopher Kennedy on November 24, 2009 at 2:56 PM (PDT)

I bought a new MacBook Pro with Leopard installed and recently upgraded to Snow Leopard.

Though I have no real serious issues there are a lot of minor issues which makes me regret to upgrade. And I am not sure whether it is a SL problem but most of the behaviour I didn’t encounter when using Leopard.

Here is the list of the problems I have seen:

1) Using the old driver for our printer at work causes crashes of all application when I opened the print dialogue. I somehow resolved it by using the generic postscript driver

2) After the upgrade, SL couldn’t access the internet via my airport WiFi. It got the IP but no router. Somehow it got solved by adding a new location in the network connection

3) Safari gives me a lot of problems. First I got a lot of spinning balls when switching back and forth between Safari and other application (including Finder), which took about 1-2 minutes. Second I got a much higher rate of stalled loading of website. Most of the time I have to stop the load and reload the page to get a faster load. Third, some websites are not displayed correctly, in particular Facebook. For some reason it seems to ignore the style sheet (or any equivalent formatting instruction of the website)

4) The synchronization of contacts of my iPod G3 with iTunes does not work. I added new contacts by after synchronization and enforced synchronization, the contacts are not showing up.

Posted by Sven Reiche on November 27, 2009 at 3:16 AM (PDT)

Using 10.6 Snow Leopard, you can stop Power Point crashes by going to Microsoft Office preferences and trash PDF maker.lib.

Posted by Woody on November 28, 2009 at 6:21 PM (PDT)

The amount of times OpenGL has gone wrong on my MacBook…... OpenCl may speed it up, at the cost of my graphics working okay!

Posted by Jordan on November 29, 2009 at 9:10 AM (PDT)

I have had snow leopard now for a few months and I am happy to say, I have had barely any problems what so ever. Of course, like any other operating systems, I have had a couple of application crashes but not nearly as much as I used to have when running windows! Yeah, maybe there’s a couple of minor problems such as this one but is this operating system really getting enough credit? It’s a step above any other operating system that’s out there and I think people need to start looking at the big picture rather than focusing on stupid little bugs.

Posted by Tom on November 30, 2009 at 2:10 AM (PDT)

Stupid? Yes. Little? No. Not for people who have had problems. I have personally had better experiences on totally clean installs - completely formatted hard drives - but the issues prior to that were complete show stoppers, not tiny bugs. It obviously varies from computer to computer and person to person.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on November 30, 2009 at 4:27 AM (PDT)

To: Chris Pratt

Software is predictable yes, but often developers do not do a good job at predicting what that software will do.  That is why graceful error handling is CRITICAL if you are developing software for the MASS MARKET.  There is absolutely no excuse for an app to simply crash.  If the problem is caused by a runaway processes, then the OS should handle isolation better, and if the problem is permissions, then it should alert the user or correct the offending permissions (preferably the former).  I understand people are often times too quick to point to the code rather than their environment, but even if the issue is environment, and a workaround, config change, or fix discovered, the point is the users are the USERS and you don’t write software for yourself exclusively, you write it for people, and your app should be intuitive and when there is a problem it should handle it gracefully.  You’ll do good to remember the BSOD in the windows world and try to be less of a ‘Pratt’.  (sorry had to)

Posted by Troy Morvant on December 1, 2009 at 11:29 AM (PDT)

I just upgraded to Snow Leopard and now can’t print on my Epson printer to Safari or Quickbooks.  I can print to all my Office programs.

Posted by Wendy on December 3, 2009 at 6:43 PM (PDT)

I cannot print anymore in my office environment. Very dissappointed with MAC. I have to downgrade to Leopard or switch to PC. Right now PC is looking like the best option.

Posted by ted seres on December 7, 2009 at 9:06 AM (PDT)

I am experiencing a different crash than the ones described here. Oddly enough the crash is different in 10.6.2 than 10.6.1.

Basically the OS completely locks up after about 3-4 hours. The error on 10.6.1 would indicate a blocking network call never returning - each app would crash as soon as it tried to make a network connection, gradually crashing the entire OS. In 10.6.2 each program fails then entire OS freezes over an even shorter period of time- about 30 seconds after the first app crashes.

I work in firefox plugin development and have had numerous users and co workers report similar problems on a variety of hardware running snow leopard. I completely doubt it is our plugin as it is a firefox plugin, which cannot place blocking calls that would crash the entire OS, and we have no issues in any other OS- mac, windows or linux based.

Is any one experiencing similar problems?

Posted by zamiang on December 12, 2009 at 8:45 PM (PDT)

Me too. Nothing is working properly since I have upgrade to Snow Leopard. Nothing at all. I tried everything, but nothing. I don’t want to reinstall from scratch. Doesn’t make sense. Too many things to back up. Wasting time. I’m tired of Apple products: Hard drives failure in my first iBook, and this summer in my Macbook and and Time machine. Now nothing is working properly. very disappointed. We use Mac at work, without that I would migrate toward a PC as anybody else.

Posted by graphifred on December 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM (PDT)

Well, I have to admit. I am not a techie, but have been around MACs and PCs a long time. My install of SL 10.6 went fine. All the apps work fine. Just one MINOR glitch. after about 5 minutes the screen goes blank. Everything conntinues to work fine but I can;t SEE it!!!! The only option has been to shut down, restart and play with the mouse about every minute. If I turn my head to do something else for a minute, I am screwed. Suggestions?

Posted by Dave on December 15, 2009 at 6:15 AM (PDT)

Received a brand new MacPro….replaced on Apple Care. Came with 10.5.8 installed. Had some performance issues. Thought I would wait for SL to clear them up.
WHAT A FREAKIN’DISASTER. I thought I had stepped through some time warp and was running Win95.
I have done several reinstalls, both archive and clean. I have run through every diagnostic and repair routine that I and Apple support can come up with. Same problems….programs crashing,Finder locking the system up….on and on.
Have had my support case moved up the chain to engineering…now they will not return my calls. Something is rotten in Cupertino.
I have over fifteen years of tech experience so it’s not a case of “where’s the any key?”.

Posted by Greg Boyer on December 22, 2009 at 1:25 PM (PDT)

I would like to thank Darren on Here on Comment (92).
His advice and information has rescued tow Intel MAC Minis today. I followed his simple advice and Lo and Behold IT WORKED A TREAT.It got me into Safe Mode and then i successfully rebooted into Normal Mode
THANKS A MILLION DARREN. YOU ARE A GENIUS!
I had this problem after trying to updgrade Leopard into Snow Leopard and it booted only as far as the Apple Logo and then there was this Ghost Busters type Logo and the continual attempt to start with the rotating clock thingy.
I had tried several reboots and my wife had tried two re-installs before i eventually found Darrens Post.All the time i was thinking; well it can’t be anything too difficult as it ahd already installed once despite my disk drive giving me some problems.
My wife has since been ever skeptical but it has done the trick for her too.She is still a bit tentative but all seems well so far.I have yet to do a reboot but at least i will know how to get into Safe Mode again.
I tried taking off all my peripherals too so i guess that probably eased things but it could well have worked while they were still attached anyway.
Good Luck to all who need this answer.
Kind Regards,
        Best Wishes, Merry Christmas ,
Roger.

Posted by Roger on December 25, 2009 at 5:13 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >