Problems With Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: Join The (Sizable?) Minority | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Problems With Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: Join The (Sizable?) Minority

We’ve given it seven days, hoping that there would be a resolution. There hasn’t been. So now we’ll ask the question that’s been on our minds more or less since last Friday: what the hell is going on with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard? [Editor’s Note: A new article with possible Snow Leopard crash fixes / solutions is now available.]

Fifty or sixty percent of Snow Leopard users we’ve spoken with say that they’re having no problems with it. None. It’s a little faster, consumes less space, and adds those tiny but nice UI improvements you’ve probably read about already.

image

The other forty or fifty percent are in a situation like mine: multiple machines upgraded, all with serious, awful stability problems of some sort. Safari’s crashing. Photoshop’s crashing. Apps you didn’t even know could crash (like TextEdit) are crashing. They’re crashing when we save files, crashing randomly when we’re not saving files, and so on. iChat is putting out error messages about being unwilling to send text-only messages, seemingly at random. Some machines are hanging on restart; others boot up every time without a problem. The new feature we’re seeing more than any other is the updated crash reporter—something that hasn’t been as extensively reported upon as, say, changes to how the screen dims when you click and hold on an icon in the dock.

I realize that there is a temptation to ask how the Mac-focused media has failed in this situation. Merlin Mann, discussing problems exactly like the ones mentioned above, calls out the Mac crowd (warning: NSFW, funny language) for apparent fanboyism, saying: “I realize you’re having a big, beardy lemon party about all these homeopathically non-obvious new features, but come on. Don’t wag your finger at people like me for pointing out [something] that shipped empirically broken.” Yet this doesn’t seem like the standard case of media drooling just to get featured on Apple’s “Hot News” page. Of iLounge’s editors, most are having no problems whatsoever with Snow Leopard. And yet some of us are having such profound, awful problems that we can’t rely on the stability of our production work machines. The thing that’s crazy: people with problems and people without problems are using the same model Macs. So it’s not like Apple tested Snow Leopard on only some of its computers. There’s something else going on here.

image

Whatever the causes may be, the symptoms are becoming quantifiable. Adobe has posted a document noting some of the same problems with saving, and an increasing number of users have been registering complaints across multiple applications. As noted, however, the symptoms are not affecting everyone. One of our editors is using Adobe’s Photoshop CS4 and experiencing no problems with saving, but I’m using it on a seemingly identical machine and experiencing crashes virtually every third time I save a file. Another problem with uploading files using Safari—spread across multiple web sites, from Facebook on down—was repeatable in Firefox and Opera, as well. All of the programs crashed doing the same thing. That leads us to think that it’s not the programs, or at least the programs that are crashing; it’s Snow Leopard, not properly handling some plug-in, some accessory, or maybe something else.

Worth noting, as well: those of us with problems have been trying all the likely solutions—going through and checking for stray, naughty processes, plug-ins, and other things that might be causing instability. Nothing seems to work; I personally run extremely clean systems—no input managers, no other hacks—and there was almost nothing to remove, yet even after removing basically everything, the problems have persisted. There’s no Apple tool to help users diagnose what the problems might be, and apparently, whatever Snow Leopard installation process was supposed to quarantine incompatible files did not work properly to do so. This is, without question, the most problematic Mac OS install I have personally ever had, and the first where I’ve had to downgrade one of my machines to the prior OS just to get stability back. (On a wireless Time Machine connection, that only took 12 hours.) If I thought I could wipe the other machine completely clean—the Redmond solution, I call it—and have it work perfectly, I would, but at this point, I’ve heard too many stories of people having problems with perfectly new installations to go through all that effort for nothing.

Obviously, it’s not this way for everyone. A lot of people are running Snow Leopard without issues. I (and the other people with serious problems) would love to be among them, because other than the instabilities, the new system seems great. But a lot of us are wondering right now how Snow Leopard could have shipped with such serious instability problems—given that this is supposed to be a stability-focused release, compatible only with a far more limited number of total Mac models than ran Leopard—and why it seems that literally none of the people who received advance copies of Snow Leopard from Apple are reporting on these problems. Cat got their tongues? Or is something else going on?

« Congratulations, Jesse: Welcome Victoria Grace Hollington!

Apple’s It’s Only Rock and Roll Event: The Beatles? The Stones? Or…? »

Comments

I’ve read through nearly this entire article’s comments, and remember the early woes of Vista. I am a Windows guy, but I have also used Macs, even though, admittedly I’m no Mac expert. Although I personally don’t care for Apple as a company (I find their endless bashing of Microsoft to be rather childish and in really, REALLY poor taste after, what, 3, 4 years?) or the Mac as my personal computer, I have come expect stability, security, and consistent performance from a Mac. The fiasco that has been the initial Snow Leopard experience is disappointing on the one hand, but heart-warming on the other. Apple’s “Trust Me” commercial mocking Microsoft seems to strike home for the Cupertino bunch. Perhaps, instead spending all the money bashing the company which kept Apple from going bankrupt not so many years ago, they should have learned from Microsoft’s mistakes with Vista. A friend has just bought a new 27” iMac with Snow Leopard, he also upgraded his daughter’s 2008 MBP from 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard, no issues in either situation, but like with Vista, not everyone had problems, myself included. Apple seriously dropped the ball on this release, no matter Apple says and no matter what any “fanboy” of either platform says, Apple screwed up. This time around, Microsoft hit a home run with Windows 7. I’m curious to see how Apple responds.

Posted by Dimeon on January 5, 2010 at 2:08 PM (CST)

Again, I also use Windows XP / Vista at home. Very unsatisfied with Vista and its problem(s). I do prefer XP, more solid as an OS on the PC side. Now, for Snow Leopard, I am dissappointed in the fact that the latest revision has caused some major headaches. Especially, that you can not use the Mac for at least 8 minutes after a restart. Every icon on the doc & desktop is frozen. I have done a fresh install after 3 upgrades (Tiger / Leopard / Snow Leopard) thinking it was a combination of upgrades that caused the problem that I am having. This iMac has 4GB RAM, so ones it is up after being frozen it works fine. I thought, it should work within seconds of booting into the desktop.

Posted by branchbay on January 14, 2010 at 3:40 PM (CST)

Snow Leopard 6.2 is flawed.  My mail has experienced problems on two different servers, twice.  The only solution the Genius Bar could finally suggest was to delete my mail accounts and reinstall them.  it worked for a few days - now I have had to do it again. How do I know it is Snow Leopard?  Well, it was not happening before I upgraded and my IPhone works fine with both accounts.

Posted by richard on January 19, 2010 at 8:29 PM (CST)

Re #198
I went to the genius bar with this problem and they found it was the fault of a folder of photos I had put in the screen saver. We deleted it and it has been fine ever since.

Posted by richard on January 19, 2010 at 8:35 PM (CST)

I too am disappointed with SL.  I have a MacBook Pro and a 24” iMac .. both encountered the same problems.  My Nikon pic editor crashes on both machines .. my Lexmark 7200 stopped working ... got that back with driver downloads .. Parallels died!  I had to by a new version to work with SL .. that was $49.  Both Firefox and Safari have had to be reloaded and upgraded before anything worked right and I am still trying to figure out what happened to the video on both machines as it’s gotten slower.  I like to run Weather Undergrounds radar animation .. but now it takes 30/45 seconds to load and run .. on both machines!  I bought a little netbook that runs XP .. and runs the same WUG radar screen almost instantly??
Can the Mac system run Linux?  All my Vista machines now run Linux .. maybe if possible that would be a good upgrade instead of SL .. if it’s possible.

Posted by AL on January 23, 2010 at 9:44 PM (CST)

“UPgraded” my 15” MBP to SL last week. Been fighting crashes and attempting patching & reconfiguring ever since. MS OfficeMac needed several updates… PowerPoint still crashed or would not launch.  Found an obscure post about removing a Type Library file to solve the issue.  Really?!! Acrobat Pro has become SOOO slow and unstable… still. May have to switch to Preview as default viewer. Firefox freezes panes in a very strange, visually warped, funnel shape when coming out of the dock. Parallels 5 takes FOREVER to boot XP in a BootCamp configuration.  Tried many memory/video memory configs without improvement (but I sure found several VERY UNSTABLE configs along the way).
And I didn’t mention how much TIME this has taken away from the project I’m supposed to be working on. OH… THAT"S RIGHT!!... I can’t because the Snow Leopard UPGRADE seems to have screwed me over!!
Look… I like both A$$le & M$. They have done many great things to improve our world. It’s very unfortunate when this stuff happens.  But those of you hiding your head in the sand and saying it’s not real are just fooling yourselves. It happens all the time and this time it’s on Apple to get their act together and fix this.  I can only hope it happens VERY soon!!  I did read somewhere(MacFix maybe) that 10.6.3 was already on its way with 90 fixes. Pull your head out and see the reality here!!

Posted by Jeff on January 29, 2010 at 6:30 PM (CST)

OH!!... I failed to mention the dozen or so “Problem Reports” that were sent to Apple during ALL my issues.  Hope they help…

Posted by Jeff on January 29, 2010 at 6:37 PM (CST)

The SL upgrade would have worked fine if I didn’t use Aperture. I cannot adjust images or use the retouch tool.I have thousands of images, so this is really important. Strange that a native Mac application is incompatible with OSX. I have a post in the Apple support forum since July but there is no cure.

Leopard works just fine so I’ll stick with that instead. I’m glad the upgrade cost me only $10 with my NEW MacBook Pro or I would be a little more upset with Apple.

Posted by Timothy Johnsrude on January 31, 2010 at 9:27 AM (CST)

I mean no offense to anyone here ... but contributions such as the following are not helpful, nor do they at all demonstrate even a modicum of understanding about software:

“There’s nothing more annoying than people pointing at a red herring simply because they don’t understand how things work.

Since artificial intelligence has not yet been developed, software, by definition is *predictable*. If these problems were truly problems with Snow Leopard, itself, then *every* user, *everywhere* would be experiencing them. However, software resides on any number of varying system configurations (even in Apple’s narrowed hardware line), and shares resources with any number of varying processes.”

Apologies to the person I’ve quoted here ... there are others who could have been selected ... I just happened by yours.

I happen to be a person experiencing SL problems. Such is not explained away by new features at all. Combinations of software on my laptop might “provoke” misbehavior in OSX or not, I have no clue nor any way to tell. HOWEVER ... you folks who are so bright as to suggest these “problems” are in our heads need to go away and contribute your drivel elsewhere. The problems are real ... at this point, were they anywhere near predictable, no doubt Apple would have released a patch to install a fix.

I do hope that Apple gets its act together. It is risky business to upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit OS on the QT. AND something in the normally good release process of Apple failed.

I, too, am considering downgrading because I can no longer develop as I need on this platform. Fusion freezes. Mail freezes. Safari freezes, OSX freezes when no other applications except normal OSX background tasks freeze. Downgrade to 10.5 seems to be the only sensible alternative to wasting more time. I had hoped that Apple would at least make a statement about what it perceives to be a problem, its ability to patch *soon*, etc.

For you folks so quick to downplay ... I have minimized but not eliminated freezing by simply using mail, etc., but then shutting the applications I use down. That’s the best I can do at present ... maybe you can apply that good diagnostic skill of yours and identify what core part of OSX is causing this strange behavior.

Posted by Tom WInans on February 6, 2010 at 12:37 PM (CST)

For anyone still experiencing problems: click on the solutions link in the first paragraph. Our advice is a complete wipe and clean install followed by individual reinstallations of old apps. Far from ideal but stability is the result.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on February 6, 2010 at 5:55 PM (CST)

Snow leopard has been a disaster for me.  I did an upgrade on top of leopard and these are my known issues.

- Firefox and Safari randomly just stop responding.  Click a link all you want and you will go nowhere.

- Skype drops every single call within a couple of minutes, rendering it useless.

- My solitaire program crashes randomly.

- Other programs crash randomly.  Usually only when exiting for some reason.

- I can no longer play MKV files on VLC.

It looks like I’m going to have to do a clean reinstall in order to get this thing off.  Uggg.  If I have to put that much effort into it, it’s unlikely that I’ll be making another attempt to install Snow Leopard.

To be fair, it seems to work perfectly on my friend’s new macbook pro.  I just seem to have gotten the shaft with this thing.

Posted by VGA on February 12, 2010 at 6:41 PM (CST)

Upgraded from faultless OSX Tiger to SL a month ago, all editing of j.pegs on i.photo went up the swanny(impossible to sharpen)  RAWS will edit fine, numerous calls to support including talking to some idiot who trashed my i.photo library, and then a trip to a genius bar, and the conclusion? software glitch that will need a fix, they are working on it now apparently.
Snow Leopard? BIG MISTAKE.

Posted by Si on March 5, 2010 at 11:48 AM (CST)

I upgraded from Tiger to Snow Leopard. Machine ran a little slower and see the beach ball a lot more, but it was stable for a long time.  Now, it’s crashing several times a day.  Sometimes it crashes when I’m not even using it, while just sitting there turned on.

Posted by David Bencaz on March 10, 2010 at 8:18 AM (CST)

I am a power user.on 10.6.2, Mac Pro 2x2.66ghz Xenon,lots of RAM.

Since installing SL, I have had nothing but problems.Several helpful programs (powerPC code) no longer run. I have more crashed programs than ever before and have even frozen my system several times, having to reboot.
I am so annoyed at mdutil (spotlight) that I turned it off, so I can work in peace.  I turn it on at night to rebuild the index… why couldn’t they ‘nice’ it and keep things running smoothly in the background.  When I switch between programs and the finder, it routinely bogs down and I have to wait several seconds before I can select a file or move anything.  crazy on such a fast machine.

I had many crashes with printer drivers (Xerox) from CS3 and even installing the newest driver again, didn’t clear up all the problems.

I had to throw out my HP bulk document scanner, since the driver wouldn’t work and they were surely not going to bring out another for the older device.!!!

I regret having upgraded and will not be doing this with any other of my macs!

Posted by SRM consulting in SF Bay Area on March 18, 2010 at 5:57 PM (CDT)

Countless crashes on following programs; iTunes, Every time I try to delete a song, iTunes crashes & will not delete the file. DVD2onex crashes. Adobe photoshop crashes, QuickTime crashes, both my HP printers have problems, even Toast crashes randomly. Every time I restart the program and supposedly a message is sent to Apple detailing the problem. I hope Apple sends"fixes” soon or I might have to downgrade to Leopard which worked fine. If I do this I will return the Snow Leopard to Apple and demand a full refund.

Posted by Vincent on March 21, 2010 at 11:33 PM (CDT)

Early 15” MBP 1,1 w/ 2.0 MHz Core Duo & 2Gb RAM: Nothing but problems since installing SL a month ago.

First thing I noticed was how slow video seemed… Print window used to POP right up in 10.4, but in SL it “steps” into view. Thought it was my video card… Not any more after reading here.

Firefox, Safari, Photoshop CS, QuickTime, Acrobat 7 Pro, and Parallels ALL have issues. None alike or consistent.

Humorous/Sad… Boot Camp w/ Win XP Pro is more stable than SL.  Any way to run OS X in Windows?!! (ouch!)

More sadness… Office purchased new MBP with SL installed and having similar crashes, issues.

Really love Mac, but this sucks.  Apple REALLY needs to make comment and clean this up soon.

Posted by Jeff on March 24, 2010 at 8:08 PM (CDT)

Thank you Jeremy for posting this article.  My wife has Snow Leopard and has been pulling out her generously flowing hair since she’s done it.  She’s on phone support with Apple about 10 times. They have been helpful, but could not solve the underlying problem of snow leopard.  They made up some excuse that it was caused by migration from the last computer, but clearly it was not.  Here are a list of her symptoms.  Programs crashing constantly (Safari, Photoshop, Acrobat) all used for her livelihood.  The clock comes up wrong when it crashes.  Emails sent to imail hang up the client.  Quirky erratic errors are happening with applications like photoshop CS4.  This is not the quality I expect from Apple who has a history of strongly testing their operating systems. With the money they must be eating up supporting this operating system (Snow Leopard) you would think they would have admitted the problem and released a patch ASAP.

Posted by M Gold on March 26, 2010 at 1:08 AM (CDT)

Bought my first MAC this month after wanting to for years… how disappointing that my new computer crashes in both Safari and Firefox.. using SL…. just got it and have to bring it back. I couldn’t even search for this info here using it. Very sad that after all these months, the Apple product I thought would be superior is not.  These boards of the ‘minority’ area big concern in figuring what the heck could be wrong with my new Mac.  Huge disappointment Apple.

Posted by Mac first on April 11, 2010 at 9:01 PM (CDT)

I concur with the SL fiasco. I had a small iBook G4 for almost 5 years. Upgraded to MBP with Snow leopard. IT was actually ok until an upgrade 3 weeks ago. Since then I get duplicate emails… so a mac tech support guru put “messages already downloaded” in the “exclude from backups” part of Time machine preferences. That so far stopped that problem. Also since the upgrade it takes about 30 seconds to send an email. I’m disgusted by Snow Leopard.

Posted by hester reik on April 18, 2010 at 8:48 PM (CDT)

Just bought an Imac and less then two weeks after, it crashed.
First the problem with Mail, the SMTP server didnt work, then after several times doing manually started to work.
You know what I thought? since my Macbookpro was at its side and connected to Mail too, I thought it could be that. It worked for the time.
But then, today, after nothing, because I did nothing, I started the computer and nothing worked. All i’ve got was “Application Not Responding”, tried rebooting several times and nothing.
So, after reading this articles and about a 150 comments, I found: Try Safe mode, and I did, and it worked.
so thanks to Darren #92.
I hope it doesnt happen again. I had a panic attack!
but I still love mac/apple.

Posted by Mariana Jorge on April 21, 2010 at 12:15 AM (CDT)

You’re absolutely right…if a release such as this creates problems as it has (meaning with Apple’s own apps) then something is most definitely wrong.  And I hate when people defend the companies.  That’s just wrong.  It reminds me of being in line at the supermarket and something rings up incorrectly and I notice, and the process takes longer than others expect, who begin to sigh loudly because it was only a few cents.  But when the shoe’s on the other foot, I am fully ready to support the other person in whatever happens next.  As for apple. I’ve had enough of them.  I’ve had three of their higher end products with three different versions of OSes and each time I’ve had issues.  Terrible issues.  It used to be that Photoshop would crash and freeze me out while doing my work…as many times as I would open some photos to edit.  Re-booting worked only for the current photo.  Then it would happen again.  And that was my workflow.  Geniuses knew nothing and just figured that I was an idiot.  I even duplicated the problems for them.  Similar things would happen while saving word documents, playing a DVD with a piece of dust on it, whatever.  Finally I found I could get my work done in XP…so I did.  And it saved my business.  Say what you will about stability comparisons, but I’ve never seen Windows just $%#$ the bed in the middle of a photo, while saving a word doc, and most especially I’ve never seen it EVER have a problem with a DVD such that it would crash the entire OS…It might not play and I might need to restart the app, but NEVER a crash of the system.  So, now I look at all of this and realize that I still don’t want to go back to Mac.

Posted by Sylvia Porter on April 30, 2010 at 4:14 AM (CDT)

Hello.  My wife and I went shopping for a new computer today after our eight year old HP XP pc died three days ago.  We were very impressed by the sales demonstration with respect to what could be done with the iMac and we really liked the 27” screen too.  However, we told the salesman that we would return tomorrow if our online research supported all of his statements after enjoying the things he actually demonstrated.  After reading these threads we will be buying another HP Windows 7 pc tomorrow. I can’t afford moneywise or timewise a frustrating switch to MAC.

Posted by Gord on May 5, 2010 at 6:19 PM (CDT)

WEll, I was looking forward to upgrading my Mac to Snow Leopard, cleaned off a bunch of pictures and files to allow for more room, etc. freshened everything up before doing the upgrade, and since putting Snow Leopard on my Mac, I have had nothing but problems.
Sought the help of techs, here there and everywhere, but the crashes still happen, uploading a photo from any of my scanners is now impossible and have lost all sorts of data when saving in all kinds of programs, Pages, iphoto, itunes, word documents, email, it seems regardless of what I am running, it sounds like there is more thinking going on in the background,(fan always runs now) clicking on anything gets the pretty colour wheel spinning and going nowhere, and I am taking an hour to do any of the simple tasks that used to take 10 minutes to execute, because of all the lag and unresponsiveness…WHAT IS GOING ON!? I have held off posting for two months, because I hoped I would find a solution that would “fix” these issues and have me getting the results from this product I had expected. NOPE.
I had these issues with our old PC, and after having a Mac for over 6 years now, this is the first time I can actually say it feels like a PC. That is NOT good.

Posted by Paulie on May 10, 2010 at 4:22 PM (CDT)

I stupidly didn’t research Snow Leopard before buying it to upgrade from 10.4.11 (or whatever it was) which ran beautifully and had me convinced I had made the right decision to change from my virus plagued PC to Apple.  Purchased Photoshop CS5 and had to upgrade to 10.6+ or it wouldn’t run.  Got Snow Leopard and I’ve had nothing but problems.  Bridge stops mid download from the camera.  Photoshop unexpectedly crashes as does Safari.  I have to reinstall iTunes every time I plug in my iPhone or it won’t read.  I periodically lose my outgoing mail capability although I have no problems with incoming mail.  Still can’t fix that one.  And before anyone tells me it’s some other old plug in causing the problems, I just purchased a Macbook Pro with nothing else on it except CS5 and I’m having exactly the same problems - even with mail.  What a waste of money.  I’ll never be so stupid again, to trust Apple’s reputation for superior software…

Posted by Pam on June 8, 2010 at 2:33 AM (CDT)

I have the same problem. New MacBook Pro, May 2010, new Snow Leopard OS. Laptop freezes.  I have to re-boot. Firefox loses all saved windows or does not save them etc.
This happened before I installed anything, even Firefox.

Posted by Dunrobin on June 21, 2010 at 1:21 AM (CDT)

We installed SL on one mac here at the office.  That user has lost the ability to “see” inside our windows 2003 file server.  Can see the folders alright, can connect to the server alright, but the folders all appear empty and the user can not reach the files to do any work.

Posted by sgfriskey on July 12, 2010 at 9:06 AM (CDT)

Havent had any of these here mentioned serious issues yet. My new mbp i7 arrived a week ago. The only queer thing i have noticed have been crashes when playing a dvd (made on the same computer using dvdsp). After this i started notising sluggish Finder behaviour and wireless problems, made a fast Google search on known issues and bang i Find myself here. What do you all think :  should i return the computer?  2000 is too much money to play with.

Posted by Eero on July 17, 2010 at 7:23 PM (CDT)

Snow Leopard was Apple’s way of giving everyone Instant Karma. Everytime I open proper (the real) Quicktime (Pro) under SL it crashes. I have the Mpeg 2 component in place. On my Macbook I cannot edit Pinnacle mp4 video. The audio goes walkies. I have to record on the Macbook and transcode and edit on my usb 1.1 eMac because SL is so hobbled and Win 98 like with av.

Its not a cat. Its a dog. Its Apple’s way of warning me to get familiar with Win 7.

Ok Steve, I can do that.

Posted by Paul Langley on August 12, 2010 at 11:33 AM (CDT)

Snow Leopard has ruined my mac - I can not believe how much time I have wasted trying to just start my machine - three to five forced restarts just to get it going then posibly more once you click on something??? What is goin’ on down at the Apple Orchard - I have had tiger running for 3 years with out a problem 30 second from push start to working now I sit and stare into a spining or flickering or herring bone or frozen screen for 20 to 30 minutes hoping to be able to get busy with something creative - I am losing it! We are the beta tester - this SNOW LEOPARD release wasn’t ready for prime time!!!

Posted by lance on August 14, 2010 at 5:39 PM (CDT)

I recently updated to Snow Leopard and can not run my Epson 9800 printer because the driver is not supported. Others who have had this problem: did you uninstall and run leopard instead? Did Epson ever get back to you regarding this? I think it’s total crap that I have to get rid of a higher running software in order to run my several thousand dollar printer!????

Posted by Ali on August 27, 2010 at 12:21 AM (CDT)

Upgraded to SL from Tiger August 2010 for my iPad. I naively thought any major issues in SL would be ironed out by now ... yeah, right.

Apparently random crashes in Mail, Safari, Word, iPhoto several times a day, occasionally the whole screen freezes. This is the most unstable OS I can remember since way back in OS 9 days.

They’ve had a year to fix this and it still sucks.

I’ve been using Macs since 1987, so I am pretty much a rusted-on fan. Right now I’m revising that view.

Posted by Steve on September 8, 2010 at 4:01 AM (CDT)

I was 30 seconds away from clicking the ‘buy’ button for Snow Leopard, but for now I’m sticking with Tiger - at least I know that I’ll be able to keep working…

Posted by Bill on September 28, 2010 at 7:57 AM (CDT)

I have had a terrible time with snow leopard in my imac. I first upgraded to the tiger to snow leopard 4 months back. My mac crashed and freezed everyday. I did a clean install and everything else but finally surrendered my new software to apple and went back to tiger which worked fine. Recently i upgraded my HDD so i though what the hell lets give it another shot. Bought a new snow leopard software, installed it on a brand new HDD and guess what, my mac crashes every time i run more than one application. i am stuck cant sync my new iphone 4 with tiger and cant run snow leopard on my imac.

Posted by jamal on October 8, 2010 at 10:28 AM (CDT)

I upgraded my 2007 metal iMac (It was the first release of the Metal body iMac’s) from Tiger to SL. Loved it and didn’t have any issues with for the first week. Then all of a sudden my display started showing the following symptoms (separate occurrences):

- blacking out and becoming non-responsive (had to press and hold power button to shut down - then restart)
- I would get a white screen with colorful broken horizontal lines - again iMac was non-responsive (had to press and hold power button to shut down - then restart)
- Then I got a gray screen with solid vertical black lines - again iMac was non-responsive (had to press and hold power button to shut down - then restart)
- System freezes across Firefox, Safari, and Opera (had to press and hold power button to shut down - then restart)

My attempts to correct were to reset SMC. Nothing changed.

I had a friend with the white model iMac that was the model before mine and he told me he was having the exact same issue. Only his graphics card fried, tus killing his Mac. After hearing that story went back to Tiger (so far no problems). But now I can’t access any of my iLife programs.

Anyone got any tips for how I can fix the problem so I can actually use SL?

-Brett

Posted by Brett on October 9, 2010 at 5:50 PM (CDT)

Same thing here, UNBELIEVABLE. Tried everything, including the clean reinstall, it worked until I re-install SL. The problems start again. I will reinstall Leopard and wait patiently until the next Apple Os (Lion) get released.

Posted by CEB on October 18, 2010 at 11:50 AM (CDT)

Apple makes a big fuss to upgrade to ILife 11!
I run out and get it but once home it says I need to upgrade to Snow Leopard.
I burp out some more money for that.
Then I install it and now its all FRIGGED up. My Iphone no longer shows up in itunes.
PDF’s are slow to open and operate, iphotos sometimes goes wack, and the trash takes forever to empty now.
What the hell is Apple doing to us long term clients who spend alot of money on their stuff?

Posted by Chaz Carver on December 15, 2010 at 8:23 PM (CST)

I have spent a week for proper migration from 10.4 to 10.6 plus testing.
I am having so many problems with 10.6 that I am switching back to my 5-yr old powerpc laptop with 10.4. 10.6: thanks, but not thanks!

Posted by christos123 on January 8, 2011 at 7:44 PM (CST)

Wow! Had followed this in 2009 and early 2010 but thought it would be long since fixed. Won’t be upgrading just yet then.

Chris #16
Sorry but I respectfully suggest that it is you who does not understand.
Having spent over 15 years at the OS level as a SYSProg I can assure you that software is only predictable if

1. The hardware (including all components down to the batch) are identical
2. The software (including all device drivers) are identical
3. The power quality is identical - yes this can manifest itself in odd software behaviour
4. The peripherals attached are identical
5. The keystrokes including timing and sequence are identical
6. The order in which applications are opened is identical
7. The file sizes are identical
8. The file structures are identical
9. The clock is set identically set
10. etc etc

As we are not clones nor automatons that buy, install and utilise technology in an identical fashion then the software will behave accordingly.

The user-antagonistic approach you demonstrate in your comments are not helpful. If your PC/MAC/WIDGET/DISHWASHER or whatever technology is working perfectly then I am delighted to hear it but either be constructive and helpful or head back to what is obviously a perfect world for you.

To all those Apple fanboys & gals perhaps this is an abject lesson in the politics of derision. No technology is beyond the reach of human error, not even the Mac. So next time you’re about to jump all over Redmond and it’s offerings think back to Snow Leopard.

Before anyone jumps on me I have used Mac’s since 1985 and currently have a Mac-mini, an iMac and 2 working SE’s as well as 6 PC’s running a variety of Windows OS’s and a couple of Linux machines. Everything has a use and while I love my Mac’s I am not foolish enough to think they’re bullet proof.

I do think however in this case Apple has wandered from its quality path and worried a little too much on marketing and too little on more thorough pre-deployment testing.

Hopefully they’ll get their house in order again.

Posted by HBeer on January 18, 2011 at 3:56 AM (CST)

2010 unibody Mac Mini server. 10.6.3, 4GB Apple RAM swap on purchase, two weeks later without updates, 174 crashes 34 system hangs, 56 app hangs, most of which running only two apps (Logic 9.0.1 and Chrome). Just driven 20 miles to update to 10.6. updated and its no better.

My first mac purchase and I am not amused. It is NOT worth the money, f**k what the fanboys say. I could built a PC ten times as fast and 100 times as stable as this heavily over-marketed lunchbox shaped paperweight. And it would run OS X better too, if the web can be believed.

Posted by Andrew on January 19, 2011 at 2:08 PM (CST)

pro tools crashes with no warning which means losing s**t that cannot be retrieved ie, spontaneous creation

is there a fix?

Posted by Peter McGowan on January 29, 2011 at 3:06 PM (CST)

My 2010 13” MacBook Pro (2.53GHz Core 2, 4GB Memory, running 10.6.6) keeps hanging and crashing since a few months.  Very often after going in sleep mode, but also other times crashing iPhoto, Mail, and other Apple software.

The sad thing is that it happens so often that it reminds me of the Dell I used to have.

I hope Apple redirects resources from product hype to product development.  I used to be one of those that openly praised Apple to friends and encouraged them to “switch”.  Not anymore.

Posted by Theodore on January 30, 2011 at 3:23 PM (CST)

I am definitely having problems.  My crashes and locks seem to have no rhyme or reason, sometimes my imac crashes while I’m out of the house.

I am incredibly frustrated.

Posted by Elizabeth on February 13, 2011 at 10:19 PM (CST)

I never had any crashes at all with Tiger which fortunately I still have installed on a partitioned drive because I have crashes every day with Snow Leopard with one program or another.I am really disappointed with it because it is the most unstable OS I have ever had to deal with and I have been a Mac user for over 12 years now.
I am using all the same programs as I did in Tiger except a few that I had to upgrade.I cannot figure out what is going on but why should I have to waste so much time trying to as I have never had to do detective work before, and each new OS in the past did just as it was supposed to do without any fuss.Tiger still works dependably. I would not have installed this useless version had I known that it was this crappy.I too hope that Apple does something to rectify the problems with this version.I would not be at all surprised if a large percentage of Mac users have this headache to deal with every day.
I suppose that Apple like most companies these days is just in it for the money and quality has fallen by the wayside, the customer does not really count any more….Very sad, I hope I am wrong.

Posted by Limey on February 25, 2011 at 8:22 PM (CST)

Mac is supposed to be the best for us Photographers and artists. Since I installed Snow Leopard, I am having serious problems with CS4 crashing and doing other weird stuff. I read through most of the above trying to find an answer, but ran out of time. I am not a computer programmer or expert. So, all the stuff about installs really doesn’t help. Is there a fix? Something us general consumers can do about this pathetic excuse for an OS from Apple????

Posted by Mike on March 29, 2011 at 3:26 PM (CDT)

I’ve got to throw this out there! Bought snowleopard and installed -installation went ok. Immediately downloaded xcode- took 1 hour.
As soon as I finished download while safari was open my 2008 imac started beach balling.Finally shut it down and tried to startup, wouldn’t mount my hardrive so I started with new snow leopard system disk and got folder with question mark. Disk utility showed problem with drive so I ran disk repair and it said it repaired two known problems however it still wouldn’t recognize hd at start up. Took to apple and they told me My hardrive was shot. Replaced hardrive. Lost all except what was backed up on external and Ipod. Is there any chance that my drive was not damaged but simply erased by something involving snow leopard. Never, ever had a problem like this and never thought I would have to do a clean install on any system disk purchased by Apple! As you may have guessed I’m not a computer scientist! Did not read about all these problems until I tried installing snow leopard which did not work—with same disk used before. Whats really interesting is that the Apple store did not reconfigure my mac with snow leopard but installed leopard 10.5.8!
GO FIGURE!

Posted by Daniel on April 3, 2011 at 11:31 AM (CDT)

I cannot download any more videos from you tube using realplayer downolader not with SP neither with 11 .... is there a way???

Posted by Rodolfo on April 23, 2011 at 1:29 AM (CDT)

Here’s my problem see my mac was working perfectly then there were a
few applications that crashed no big deal since I am used to Microsoft
scum. Then the problems became worse then the finder crashed I thought I was losing my mind then somebody other than me remotely (don’t ask me how they did it I don’t know activated the system admin
account and stole my password now if this was the first time this happened I could tolerate it but no this has happened multiple times I eventually changed my password everyday to stop it switched to standard accounts and used parental controls. Then finally my dock just
today started acting strangely I could not remove the icons from the dock at all this was so strange but then I wiped the computer this stopped the problem however I really don’t know how this happened according to apple logic this should never happened however you must remember the alternative which is microsoft which make computers like crap they are so unreliable and nasty that it is a abomination.

Posted by Alex John Treviranus on May 14, 2011 at 4:53 PM (CDT)

Snow Leopard sucks, I’m running Imac, and have never had any problems in the past 2 year, I upgraded to Snow Leopard couple weeks ago, and been having major apps Crashing, including the latest Itunes, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH APPLE!!!!!!!!!!,    I Have always support their products.    APPLE PLEASE GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.  Itunes just crashes, cannot do anything with it.    FIX THIS PLEASE!

Posted by Robert on November 5, 2011 at 11:13 AM (CDT)

I have a MacBook (2009 Intel version) with Snow Leopard and an older (2003) PowerBook G4 (857 MHz). Thinking of reverse engineering by putting the old Tiger OS in my MacBook. My older unit, maxed out with 640 mB of RAM is just a tad slower and never, ever locks up. RealPlayer is not compatible with my MacBook. Tried 3 clean re-installs after running disc utility from the original install disc (permissions and hard drive OK). I am wondering if there was an interim difference in the install discs? Anybody also think this?

Posted by Mike Stevens on December 14, 2011 at 5:43 AM (CST)

RECENTLY INSTALLED SNOW LEOPARD ON MY MACBOOK hoping it would solve the many problems I have had with Leopard. It has only made things worse. MUCH WORSE.
SNOW LEOPARD SUCKS! APPLE doesn’t care about it’s computer users anymore. Apple only wants to sell phones and entertainment.
The higher it’s stock valuation the crappier it’s computers. I’ve been using Mac’s since the Apple II. Snow Leopard is driving me insane. Hate it, don’t waste your money, Apple won’t give you a refund.

Posted by Michael Irvine on June 26, 2012 at 4:24 PM (CDT)

I photo open on its own every few minutes.  just upgraded to 9.4.2

Easy share seems to finding a device to import that does not exist.  Not a single device is plugged in the back.

an

Posted by robin on November 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM (CST)

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3