Quick Update on Early iPad 2 Case Compatibility | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Quick Update on Early iPad 2 Case Compatibility

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Friday, March 11, 2011
Backstage Categories:

If you’re looking for a real case for your iPad 2, good news: we’ve had a chance to test not only Apple’s iPad Smart Cover for iPad 2, but also iKit’s Carbon Case for iPad 2, Targus’s 360-Degree Rotating Stand Case for iPad 2 and LuxMobile’s Protekto for iPad 2, and they all fit. According to our case reviewer Nick Guy, the best of the bunch is iKit’s Carbon Case, a rubber and hard plastic case that manages to fit the new device’s curves and ports precisely; the Targus and LuxMobile cases are both competent folios, the latter a little more difficult to install than the former, and Apple’s iPad Smart Case obviously works, but is grossly overpriced for what it does—particularly the leather one.

« An Open Letter to Jon Bon Jovi On What’s Really “Killing The Music Business”

Briefly: FaceTime, Now On Your HDTV? (Thanks to iPad 2) »

Comments

Jeremy -

I just got back from Best Buy, and Griffin had a faux-leather copycat of Apple’s iPad 1 case. It looked great, actually. Didn’t get it though… I want exactly that, but with auto-on/off magnets embedded. It’s sure to come - I’ll wait.

What about screen cover compatibility, Jeremy? I would love nothing more than to slap a PowerSupport antiglare film on this thing, ASAP. Can I buy the original, or are the dimensions slightly different? The camera would get covered up, I know…

Posted by Jerrod on March 11, 2011 at 6:44 PM (PDT)

While I’d love to tell you that screen film works from iPad to iPad, the answer is “probably not,” depending on how precisely the film was cut. For something that’s entirely clear, there will likely be a misalignment given that the iPad 2’s glass face is just a little taller and a little narrower. If you can live with the inevitability of the film peeling off and just need something for the time being, give it a shot. Moshi’s iVisor XT has an opaque border around a clear screen protector. This will likely block part of the FaceTime camera and/or ambient light sensor and/or Home Button depending on how you align it.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on March 11, 2011 at 7:16 PM (PDT)

I too am waiting on an iPad 2 case that has the auto-on magnets.

One big selling point of the iPad 2 is the thinness of the device, it would be great if you could show some side views of the case where we can compare the thickness of the device in the case as compared to just the device itself.

Posted by Jack Cox on March 14, 2011 at 6:19 AM (PDT)

Aside from the $40 SmartShell case from Marware, is anyone aware of a iPad 3 back cover that is compatible with the Apple SmartCover?

Posted by Paul on March 17, 2011 at 7:55 PM (PDT)

Is the iKit carbon case compatible with the Apple Smart Case

Posted by Fred on March 25, 2011 at 8:50 PM (PDT)

I bought the speck pixelskin HD today, and I’m a little disappointed. Instantly your lighter iPad 2 is heavier, noticeably. The screen cover is floppy and thick, heaviest part of the cover. And the sticky strip that keeps the lid closed seems to attract hair and whatever else is floating around.

I’m a big advocate of speck, I think their products are top notch although a bit expensive. So this was a heartbreaker for me after carrying my iPad around in a netbook sleeve for a month.

Posted by Zach on April 18, 2011 at 4:47 PM (PDT)