Repair Needed: iPhone Cannot Make or Receive Calls [updated] | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Repair Needed: iPhone Cannot Make or Receive Calls [updated]

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Monday, October 15, 2007
Backstage Categories:

It’s the iPhone dialog box you’ve hopefully never seen before: “Repair Needed. iPhone cannot make or receive calls. http://www.apple.com/support” If it had happened only once this week to someone I’d bought an iPhone for, I would have totally written it off. But twice? What are the odds?

image

My wife has been traveling for the past week and a half, and had this message come up on her after several days of iPhone flakiness, in which the phone’s ringer stopped working, then the phone failed altogether. Her experience? She’s lucky enough to be in a city with an Apple Store, where though it wasn’t convenient to give up part of her day for the appointment, the unit was replaced on the spot. Not bad at all. Her only complaint: she lost her photos and other content that hadn’t been synchronized to her computer.

Yesterday, a friend who’s visiting from out of town told me that his iPhone—bought by me for him as a gift—wasn’t holding a charge properly. Last night, the phone said that it needed to be reactivated in iTunes. Then the battery completely died. When it was recharged, the Repair Needed screen came up. “Have I lost all my photos?” he wondered. I suggested that he sync with his Mac and find out. Though iTunes wouldn’t work—he got a message saying that “the SIM card is not installed”—iPhoto saw his pictures and let him pull them off, which would have been good for my wife to know: you can try to recover the iPhone’s contents before taking it in. My friend’s appointment with the local Apple Store is today, so we’ll see how that goes.

image

A few points: neither of these phones was ever (and I mean ever) Jailbreaked, modified, or attempted to be Jailbreaked or modified. Both were upgraded from Apple’s own iTunes updater from software version 1.0 to 1.0.1 to 1.0.2 and 1.1.1. The first one was purchased and activated in the first week of the iPhone’s release, which is to say that it was around 3.5 months old when it failed. The second one was delivered roughly a month after the iPhone was released, which is to say that it was 2.5 months old. Neither one was misused or mishandled. And both my wife and my friend have mid-line Core 2 Duo Apple MacBook computers, which they were using for charging around the time the iPhones experienced problems.

I know that these people aren’t the first two to see this error message; readers, have you experienced this, and under what sort of conditions?

[Update: We visited an Apple Store, which rapidly replaced the iPhone. Overheard during the repair: as of 11:30AM, 6 iPhones had apparently been replaced today with similar symptoms. Sounds like a 1.1.1 firmware problem to me.]

« The Starbucks Song of the Day, DRM-Free

Patience Isn’t My Virtue (Or, Caving and Buying iPod touch) »

Comments

Jeremy -

I figured it out! The phone in the above picture is in Airplane Mode. If you go into your settings and turn Airplane Mode off, you should be able to make calls again.

You’re welcome.

- PK

(LOL - just kidding, obviously. It’s just funny that the one photo of the phone which shows its inability to make calls also makes evident that it’s in Airplane Mode, which turns off the iPhone’s ability to make calls. On a serious note, though, does the problem actually turn Airplane Mode on permanently? Or was this merely a coincidence when you took the photo?)

Posted by PK on October 15, 2007 at 9:42 AM (PDT)

Merely a coincidence. The phone was having charging problems, so I suggested turning off the wireless antennas to reduce power drain. grin

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on October 15, 2007 at 9:47 AM (PDT)

This happened to me when I was playing with the airplane mode because I wanted to use my iPhone with a car FM transmitter.. My screen started changing weird colors and eventually that “Repair Needed” message showed up.

I had to bring my iPhone to an Apple store where they gave me a brand new one (my iPhone was just over 2 weeks old at the time)

My iPhone also had never been tempered with (no jailbreak, 3rd party apps, unlocked, etc) and was upgraded from 1.0.1 -> 1.0.2 -> 1.1.1.

Posted by Justin on October 15, 2007 at 10:23 AM (PDT)

Jeremy -

I had a very similar experience to the previous poster. I was also attaching a FM transmitter in my car when I got a flaky weird flickering screen. I restarted the iPhone and it kept working for a couple hours after that, but once the battery ran down to 20% it would not charge and I started getting that error message you showed in the article. I tried everything from Apple’s recommended steps to no avail. The phone would simply no longer hold charge.

When I took it to my local Apple Store (thank god I live near one), they tested it for about half an hour to see if they could charge/restore it, and then swapped out my SIM card and gave me a new iPhone (At least it looked that way, I assume it’s new - hope it’s not a refurb). Everything was restored except e-mail passwords; and that includes photos that had been taken but not yet downloaded. That was a pleasant surprise.

This iPhone was purchased the day after the price cut in early September, so was about a month old. Needless to say, this was super-disconcerting and I plan to bring a spare phone with me when I travel, just in case.

Posted by Sterling Zumbrunn on October 15, 2007 at 10:43 AM (PDT)

Had the same problem.  Had my iPhone for a month and have taken excellent care to ensure I didn’t do anything to break it and it just died.  I wasn’t able to recover anything and the techs at the store were talking like it has happened more than a few times.  When I asked if it was a common problem, they said that it wasn’t.  Seems like it is.

Posted by Jake on October 15, 2007 at 1:42 PM (PDT)

i’m already on my 4th phone….  and i didn’t get my first one till the $200 price drop.

Posted by jt on October 15, 2007 at 7:37 PM (PDT)

This actually just happened to me. My screen first died, then when I brought it home it started flashing white and abstract line and shape combinations, finally finishing to the above warning and then dying completely. Luckily though, I took it in, and since it was dead, the replaced it right away. Brought it home and it was a simple one click restore process. My phone was also updated to 1.1.1 and had NEVER been jailbroken or any of the modification business. It was purchased Sept 1st. I noticed some slowness and lack of responsiveness post 1.1.1. *shrug*

Posted by Sherif M. on October 16, 2007 at 3:39 AM (PDT)

I’m wondering… it seems some of us have all shared issues with the FM transmitter. Which models do you use? I use a Kensington model, seen here ~> http://us.kensington.com/html/6402.html

Posted by Sherif M. on October 16, 2007 at 3:43 AM (PDT)

yeah same thing happend to me wow plugged it into an iTrip and it worked for a while then when i unplugged it the battery killed itself and the screen started flickering bright white and now it esay needs repair cannot connect to sim card yada yada i have an APT with the so called “genius” at the apple store in a little while ill let u know how it goes

Posted by jacob on October 28, 2007 at 11:47 AM (PDT)

Hi, I had the exact problem above “iphone cannot make or receive calls” didnt have any problems with the other functions just that, I fixed it, basically you need to set the phone in restore mode, then restore the phone , you need to press shirt and restore and you can choose the version you wanna reinstall to, restore to the 1.0.2 version(which needs to be downloaded can be foudn in laods of places) after restoring the phone just run through the normal activation etc, or use the programmes,

Btw I had a hacked unlocked nad jaileded break phone. Basically this problem is becasue of the baud channels, a restore resets everything in the phone. DO this and you will be fine, I have jsut odne this and I am so relieaved, as I lived in the UK smile good luck, look on the pqdvd website if you are lost. jsut follow the exact instructions for the downgrade and one click unlock software

Posted by hhh on October 30, 2007 at 10:00 AM (PDT)

Same problem here, I am in my 6th phone but this time I think we figure it out, I keep my phone in a case that has 4 magnets to hold the lid and that was causing the radio to go crazy. I got rid of it and no problems. Magnetic fields are very powerful and create multiple problems. That is my experience.

Posted by Guillermo Lastres on November 8, 2007 at 10:15 AM (PDT)

Same problem here. First last week noticed the phone going off and no way to turn on unless I conect to a charge cable. Today I get this error although battery was very low (RED). COuld this be because radio is turned of just like wireless when bat is low?

Posted by Javier on November 12, 2007 at 8:36 AM (PDT)

Hey Guillermo, I seem to have the same problem with the iPhone… since I stopped using the case, everything seems fine… Since the problem has stopped, you think I should just let it go or do you think I should try and do something about it (like restoring the phone, etc…)???

Posted by t_man on November 19, 2007 at 6:54 PM (PDT)

put your iPhone in DFU mode with independence, you should can downgarde now wink

Posted by Matthieu on December 6, 2007 at 6:40 AM (PDT)

I have the same problem with my phone- I was using my monster FM transmitter to charge my battery-not to play music over the radio when my phone started showing the “repair needed” message. Soon it would not hold a charge…not more than 20% at least. I was able to revive it a few times by rebooting it but within hours it was running hot and completely shut down on me. I now own a black and chrome brick and have no Apple Store nearby. This phone was purchase right after the price drop and had all updates and no hacks.

Posted by Bryan Rhinehart on December 9, 2007 at 5:04 PM (PDT)

I unlocked my IPHONE for Tmobile.. Everything worked I shut it off and turned on and no service.. I tried to Restore my PHONE.. Said Needs repair cant send/make calls. When I connect to I tunes its says no sim can connect.. Im lost for words here.. Somone please help me

Posted by Bigs on December 15, 2007 at 6:08 PM (PDT)

I’m in the Apple Store right now.. I have the same problem.. My phone is 1 month old and has been treated like a queen. No hacks.. Upgraded per Apple.. Nothing wrong except this funky ..repair needed screen that is pissing me off to no end ! I have a stand by appt…so stay tuned on the result.

Posted by Scott on December 30, 2007 at 5:43 PM (PDT)

Well…they replaced my phone, switched the chip an I walked out with service… The Genius claims they don’t know if the phone I rec’d is New or what but he sid if I can see any wear, then he would give me another one…THis one works great…so I am again a happy
24 year long Apple customer

Posted by Scott on December 31, 2007 at 11:37 AM (PDT)

Now I am on my 3rd iphone. Each time I get one it works great for 2 days then I get the message back. It is getting a bit frustrating here. THey tell me that the mini transofrmer is the culprit and I am waiting for them to oder one. But the Genius folks tell me that my ipod transformers are fine to use with the iphone. They say that you can even use an old firewire ipod transformer for recharging only. Apparentl this is not the problem though becuase I have been recharging from my laptop.

S

Posted by Scott on January 3, 2008 at 2:27 PM (PDT)

Today my iphone gave the need repair screen. I put it in the portable speaker dock. It worked fine at first, butt after a few minutes the sound stopped working and the repair needed screen popped up. When i tried to restore the screen turned all white. Now that’s all it will do. It hasn’t been jailbroken and still had 1.0.2. Anybody know what’s up with this?

Posted by jason on January 9, 2008 at 9:43 PM (PDT)

i have had my iphone for about 4 months and i got the repair needed screen several times.  the first few times, i would restart the phone and it would be fine…then today i got the phone missing a sim card screen too.  i went to apple and they did not have any appointments available so i went to AT&T.  they replaced the sim card at which point i had to restore the phone and then it worked for about 5 min.  now the repair screen is back up…this is frusturating! i am going in tomorrow to see if they will replace the phone but am upset because i have no way to contact anyone as i cannot make or receive calls!!!!

Posted by jenay on January 26, 2008 at 12:38 PM (PDT)

Well iPhone #6… or is it #7… I lost count, out the window. First on Sunday did I run into this problem very late where I was getting very low to ‘No Service’. Then very early Monday morning the phone said a repair was needed. Being that im home recovering from surgery I didnt care too much about setting it up from scratch and didnt restore my settings ether.

Today now two times in the past hour has it said that repairs were needed. Goodie. The first time we did a force restore by turning it off and holding the home button while connecting it to iTunes. Within 5 minutes of the process completing I again had ‘No Service’. Another couple minutes later the repair needed screen was back. The second restore just finished so maybe time will tell, but im on the phone with Apple. I am running 1.1.3 on a OTB 1.1.2 phone.

Posted by Brandon on January 30, 2008 at 5:27 PM (PDT)

HEY! I experiencet the same as you guys!! Except my iPhone is hacked! It took me about 2 hours to fix - i used “iBrickr” to downgrade my iPhone from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 - i didnt touch it for ten minutes, then i took my iPhone and reebotet it manually and installed 1.1.1 via iTunes (my iPhone was in disk recovery) add me to messenger and i’ll try to help you :D!

Of course at own responsibility, and if you try this Apple wont give you a new one i bet:P!

Posted by Unknown on January 31, 2008 at 2:14 PM (PDT)

i’m also on ‘repair needed’ message for last 2 weeks.
i tried lot of things but still no luck.
mine iphone version is 1.1.2 OTB, so if i return this to apple, will i get 1.1.2 or new one i.e. 1.1.3?

Posted by samaxe on February 6, 2008 at 11:37 AM (PDT)

Hey guys I have same problem (iphone needs repair)  first it was jailbreaked i was using on t-mobile, now it has that massage Iphone needs repair cannot make or receive calls. I went to apple store and they said that somebody tried to jailbrake it and thats why it showing this massage, and they said they cannot replace it. because I bought that through ebay.
Can somebody help me! I’ll pay

Posted by Jon on February 20, 2008 at 8:19 PM (PDT)

Hey everyone suffering from the “iPhone needs repair” problem. I encountered a similar problem so I thought I would share my situation in hopes it might help some of you with the same dilemma.  I have an iPhone with (what I know now as) factory installed firmware 1.1.2.  I stupidly was trying to downgrade the baseband firmware in order to do the anysim unlock from 1.1.1 (which can only be done if 1.1.2 was upgraded to from an earlier version not factory installed) I installed the BDS subsystem after jail breaking the iphone and then used the baseband downgrader.  It deleted the baseband and then froze before finishing leaving me with the grayed out disabled wifi and the inability to make or receive calls with the iphone needs repair message.  I am using iTunes version 7.6.0.29.  I decided to abandon all attempts to unlock the phone and upgrade to 1.1.3.  I attached the iphone to the computer and held the home and on/off button until the iphone turned off and then just kept holding the home button to force itunes to recognize the iPhone in recovery mode.  I restored/updated to 1.1.3 and since 1.1.3 updates the modem firmware to 04.03.13_G I am happy to say I am back in business.  I don’t know if this will work for everyone, but if your phone is bricked it might be worth the upgrade to get it working again. Good luck to all.

Posted by runnerxt2001 on February 23, 2008 at 12:08 AM (PDT)

well same here! it sucks i cant stand all the problems ive had with my iphone. the day i got it first call i tried to make it locked up and i had to restore it now it did not say not able to make or receive calls.. it drives me crazy , what do i do will they charge deductables. now my iphone did have a crack at bottom but this definately was not the problem for one all the posted replys says their iphones were in fine condition. i dont know what todo my iphone has been my life for the past 6 months. i dont have the money like you people to buy 5 or 6.. goood luck hope it doesnt happen to anymore victims!

Posted by STEVO on March 5, 2008 at 8:48 PM (PDT)

when u take it to the apple store do u have to take the receipt for it because i cant find mines??

Posted by jay on March 21, 2008 at 8:05 AM (PDT)

Hello Guys,

I am from the Netherlands and I have got an iphone, and it gives the error “repair needed cannot ...”. I read this topic but I couldn’t fix them, can somebody help me please !!!

my msn: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

The person who help me to use my iPhon get 25 euros!!!!

PLEASE HELP MEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Emre on March 21, 2008 at 12:35 PM (PDT)

i jailbroke my iphone yestarday. i played with it all day, then i noticed i wasnt recieving any of my e-maik, so i tested i can send just not recieve, when the ohone says connecting an erro message pops up saying the user name or password for “imap.apple.mail.com” is incorrect. has anybody had the same problem after jailbreak? please help i need my mail cant do buissness without!!!!!!!!!

Posted by joshua on March 24, 2008 at 10:14 AM (PDT)

I was experiencing the same problems with the need repair screen. Well I downloaded Ziphone and restored it with it, so it left it in restore mode and then I used itunes to install 1.1.4 and the problem is fixed, in fact it’s working faster and smoother than before. I was using a jailbroken iphone with 1.1.3 installed. The 1.1.3 firmware is very buggy from what I have researched. I could never get my iphone bluetooth to pair up, now it paired instantly. I hope this helps anyone having trouble and yes you can still jailbrake and/or unlock your phone with the latest ziphone. Ziphone is a great app because it offers a great amount advance techniques as well.

Posted by ken on March 27, 2008 at 8:19 AM (PDT)

Repair Needed/No Service screen appeared today - phone is very unreliable and has to be hard booted to get back to working again. i have an original 1.1.1 jailbroken then updated to 1.1.4 early March. been taking good care/not dropped etc.

but i have been using it as an ipod i my car almost every day using the aux audio jack. i always insert and remove the cable from the iphone when the car is running and not when the circuit was off powered. i now suspect could have damaged something inside reading about all the transmitter/fm related issues above.

do i have good reason to think my bad habit could have killed off my phone?

Posted by gremlok on March 31, 2008 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

Hey guys,

I felt lucky after reading your comments, seriously. I’ve bought a jailbroken iPhone in the US and brought it to Chile, South America where I live. The SIM card (Movistar) was enabled as soon as I plug it in, but after two weeks it started to appear that creepy message you are talking about.

I realized that it appeared only when signal coverage turned miserable, and thought that the iPhone simply understand the lack of good signal as a problem of the device, not the network, while other regular phones simply put an “off area or no service” message in the radio icon under same circumstances.

My iPhone has experienced two “repair needed” episodes. In both, I turned it off, waited for a minute, changed my position and turned it on again. And as simple as this method could be, it has worked so far!

Posted by Alex on April 16, 2008 at 10:29 AM (PDT)

OMG it happens to me! mine is also 1.1.1 fw, charge occasionally on my macbookpro core2 duo. but mine is unlocked. do any of you know how to fix this problem rather than going to apple, because they sure won’t help due to the fact that I’ve unlocked the iphone.

Posted by mayle on April 23, 2008 at 6:02 AM (PDT)

I slightly dropped my jailbroken iPhone on the table from about 3 inch height. I was sending an sms at the moment - it failed, then showed “no service”. After i restarted is showing “repair needed…”
will take it to the store tonight, we’ll see

Posted by Pavel on May 8, 2008 at 2:21 PM (PDT)

Same thing….turned off my phone and then turned it back on. Problem solved

Posted by mary on May 13, 2008 at 8:31 AM (PDT)

hi guys i finally , solve this Problem

guess what its Easy than u think i was working and searching about this Problem for months then i just Find out i have to change my “Sim card” and now my phone Work Fine ;D Enjoy

Posted by iFlickr on May 28, 2008 at 8:13 AM (PDT)

How on earth can the sim card cause this problem??

Posted by pegasus on June 6, 2008 at 12:45 AM (PDT)

I unlocked and jailbroke my iphone and put in a new sim card (in italy)  I can use internet with no problem but I cannot receive calls or make calls, it says ‘call failed’.  There is no problem with the sim card because I tried many different ones.  Please help!

Posted by Julie on June 8, 2008 at 10:02 AM (PDT)

Is this a repairable problem? I just got this exact same message on my iphone this past Wednesday. I’ve been having to use my back-up phone ever since. Any help would be appreciated. My iphone is only 3 months old so I hope it’s fixable!

Posted by Steve on June 8, 2008 at 9:38 PM (PDT)

hey guys, i woke up to this problem this morning saying i cant recieve or make calls. my phone is jailbroken and on 1.1.4 but still i got this problem. 1st my iphone froze for 4 days, when i took it to a local phone shop they had to open it up again to unfreeze it, then this message came on 2 days later. i turned my iphone off then back on straight away and the message disapeared, and the phone worked. but i will say it keeps losing its signal and starting back up. i will never buy a iphone again NOTHING but trouble!..............

Posted by joepb on June 18, 2008 at 12:25 AM (PDT)

I have had my iphone for about 2 months, its an unlocked phone and I originally thought it was to do with magentic interference but this is not the case as it happens at random times
Can anyone help with this issue??? Please

Posted by Darryl Moss on June 18, 2008 at 1:30 PM (PDT)

Hello All,

Need help to pair Iphone 1.1.4 to Nokia E61 via bluetooth. When i turn on the bluetooth on both the devices, nokia searches for the Iphone and then tries to connect. After 20-30 seconds, it asks for a pin (is there a specific pin for Iphone?) when i enter 1234 or 0000 and enter the same on iphone it disconnects saying unable to pair? Does someone has step by step instruction on pairing Iphone via bluetooth or any suggestions to my above problem? (the phone is jailbroken with Zibri and a is a new iphone)

Posted by navin on June 19, 2008 at 7:25 AM (PDT)

i have a iphone in which i can’t make any out going calls. But i am able to call from other mobile and there is no problem with sim. please help me.

Posted by madhuri on July 1, 2008 at 9:30 AM (PDT)

i am an tmobile customer i use an iphone it keeps shutting off for no reason, so i downgraded the firmware restored it to factory, and if i return it to the apple store will they ask for an at&t number? or will they just straight exhcnage it?

Posted by stanley on July 14, 2008 at 5:23 PM (PDT)

wut. :(

I’ve had my iPhone for about ... 4 days and this message comes up. I have no connection whatsoever, no Wi-Fi; cant even enable it. Currently Im using it as an iPOD…

I “tried” updating it to the newest 2.0 in iTunes, this is what ###### it up. I will have to Jailbreak it and stuff, at least thats the current fix. Im in Thailand, and yes I bought it here (haha), but here’s an Apple store and they wont deny fixing it for me.

Posted by Pus on July 27, 2008 at 10:01 PM (PDT)

I am currently on my 3rd i-phone and i continue to have the repair needed message come up. I have to restart the phone over and overjust vto get a signal..I have an appt tonight at the apple store to hopefully fix this problem. Does anyone know if this is a first generation iphone problem or a 3g and 1st gen problem??

Posted by marcus on August 6, 2008 at 10:25 AM (PDT)

i have problem iphone cannot make or receive calls

Posted by MEHUL PATEL on August 21, 2008 at 7:27 AM (PDT)

I’m having the same problem as you mate. alltough mine is jailbreaken… so im gonna try to “reactivate” it with ZiPhone when i have my “AT&T;” card in.

Posted by twonkler on August 29, 2008 at 1:09 AM (PDT)

Solution:
Solution:
Solution:
Solution:
Solution:
Solution:
Solution:
Solution:

jus downgrade your baseband with ZiPhone patched by kIREmK 04.05.04_G

Posted by edgar on September 2, 2008 at 2:37 PM (PDT)

Hi I can receive calls but cannot make calls. I did no get my iphone from an appe store…...its been updated and i updated it with cynia/cyga something like that. I was having issues with it cutting out while in conversation.

Now cannot make calls after this upload of updates from this iconw hicvh appeared on my phone

Posted by mrmagic on September 9, 2008 at 1:44 AM (PDT)

I’ve only had my phone for a week and as of last night I can only send and receive calls when I turn the 3G network OFF!

Posted by Nick G on September 16, 2008 at 12:06 PM (PDT)

I thought I should also add to my above post that I don’t get the error message that others get.  I have full signal and every other function works properly. I can try to call my phone from another one and it doesn’t even ring, but when I turn 3G off it will go right through.

Posted by Nick G on September 16, 2008 at 12:13 PM (PDT)

This phone is a total pos.  Paid for 3G phone, have the same problem.  Anyone come up with a solution?

Posted by Alex M on October 9, 2008 at 8:50 PM (PDT)

***********************************************
SOLVED
SOLVED
SOLVED
SOLVED
SOLVED
SOLVED
***********************************************

*****I would recommend doing the below as a last resort, just incase your Iphone does completely pack up!*****

After 28 hours of trying literly everything, I managed to fix my 1.1.4 jail broken unlocked Iphone that had the (REPAIR NEEDED) message.

This might work on untouched Iphones with the same problem. Please remember this is done at your own risk as it was mine.

READ ON BELOW

Posted by SJD on October 13, 2008 at 9:57 AM (PDT)

Hi I am using the Iphone 3G with Tmobile. I unlocked and Jailbroke it and have had several issues. Firstly 3G has to be switched off for your sim card to even be recognized, Secondly data roaming has to be on in order for you to use any data services and thirdly, I could not make or receive calls so uninstalled Kate(an app in installer) and now my phone works perfectly) hope this helps
MissB.

Posted by Missb on November 21, 2008 at 9:22 AM (PDT)

What is happened? I had this problem too, and i have to change the board logic, because it always failed to upgrade the firmware? Does apple sell some defected product?

My iphone : 3G factory unlock Italy.

Thanks, from Jakarta, Indonesia

Posted by Hendro on December 29, 2008 at 5:49 AM (PDT)

Hi, I have the same problem of Repair needed error, tried restoring & it goes all the way & then gives error 1002 at the last mile. Yes mine is a jailbroken iphone 3G, thats the only way it can work here. :( any tips for me—other than taking it to apple store as I live in Doha, Qatar in the middle east and there are no apple stores in this part of the world.

Posted by Buntoo on February 14, 2009 at 1:28 AM (PDT)

If iphone is unlocked and jailbroken and UNABLE TO MAKE OUTCALLS :

Step-1 Go to Installer >Utilities and find   application name KATE .. Tap on KATE and on top right hit UNINSTALL.

Step-2—-settings>general>reset>reset all settings.

Step 3—-After that POWER OFF your iphone.Wait 2 mins and restart.It will work fine after a short while.

Posted by bjdynamite on April 21, 2009 at 3:17 PM (PDT)

Wow—-same thing here. Just like how the author had said his friend’s iPhone stopped working..samething for mine. Was low on battery, so I plugged it in, then it said the iPhone needs to be reactivated in iTunes…though ok will do that then, plug it in and iTunes says “cannot be used with iTunes because the SIM….” so clicked OK then did a hard reset (in DFU mode) iTunes picks it up, restores back to 2.2.1 but gives an error code, (1013) and same process appears again & again…...taking it to the App Store today and let’s see what they do…

iPhone 3G FW2.2.1
AT&T;[Jailbroken via QuickPWN]

Posted by xBladex on April 27, 2009 at 8:14 AM (PDT)

Well unlike you guys and girls, I am having a different issue. I cant make or recieve calls.. but my data and TXT messaging flows just fine. Called the Iphone support they had me reset my network settings and then turn off the 3g without luck. Had me restart the phone like 4 times in hopes of that fixing this issue(thought that this wasnt a microsoft product). All so she could tell me that I needed to go to an Apple Store in Houston and they will work with it? WOW… What a new experience!

Posted by Chris on May 8, 2009 at 4:55 AM (PDT)

My 3G did the same thing to me, it was like that for a whole day, I was so frustrated.
I just kept trying differnet things and finally I unplugged my mouse and plugged in the wire there, and it started to work!
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by Anna on May 11, 2009 at 1:05 PM (PDT)

I have the same exact problem as xBladex (number 60)... I’ve managed to get my icons back up but I still have “restore needed: cannot make or receive calls. Restore from iTunes…” no wifi no 3g no network no signal. qwkpwn//pwnagetool. I’m on 2.2.1 idk what my baseband is, apple store told me it was the problem but it wasnt their problem, I’m on ATT, I just bought my phone around New Years

Posted by Trey on May 23, 2009 at 11:34 AM (PDT)

got the “repair needed iphone cannot make or receive calls” message.  Restored iphone with latest itunes.  worked briefly, then same message.  Restored again, worked briefly, then same message.  I tried turning it on and off.  Worked for a few minutes, then same message.  Restored again.  If I get the same message again, I am taking it to the Apple Store.

Posted by Chas on July 20, 2009 at 1:07 PM (PDT)

Hey i have the I phone 3G and I hacked it and am using it with T mobile. I has worked great for like 2 weeks then all of the sudden it wouldn’t allow incoming calls! I can make calls and text just fine! the wifi also works just fine! I turned it on and off a couple of times took the sim card out and put it back in and it still wont work! any suggestions??

Posted by Natalie Bergstrom on August 5, 2009 at 2:50 PM (PDT)

Hi,same problem here…

Hi,

To days ago I updated my iPhone 2G (EDGE) with firmware 3.1 Beta 3. Then I jailbreak it with iH8sn0w. After that my iPhone recovered from jailbreak process and start freezing and loosing the GSM signal. I restored it back to 3.0 and jailbreak again. Since then my iPhone displays “NO SERVICE” and “Repair needed. iPhone cannot make or receive calls.”

. I made downgrade even until 1.1.1. version. I downloaded the Baseband until 04.02.13_G modem firmware. I tried all those possibilities, but my iphone is showing NO SERVICE.
My iPhone was bought with 1.1.2 (04.02.13_G modem firmware) version.

Please help me in this case because you’re my last chance.

Thank you very much.

Posted by Pagaman1 on August 20, 2009 at 2:40 PM (PDT)

You guys need to unlock your phone because when you update the software it locks again and will only recognize one network which is AT&T so find someone who can unlock your phone and it should work again!

Posted by Pearl on January 31, 2010 at 3:17 PM (PDT)

I use AT&T. I haven’t done any jailbreak or anything with my phone. The error message popped up that I need to restore. I plugged in to itunes and clicked restore, and at the VERY end of the process, it says an unknown error has occurred (1013). Now I can’t do anything with my phone and itunes says it’s in a ‘recovery state’ and needs to be restored… iPhones are ridiculous and I’m never buying one again. I have the 3GS, this is my fourth iPhone. The first one was broken when I took it out of the box. They would be really nice phones if they didn’t have to be replaced 18 times per year. I had an HTC before this and I’m going to get another one. I had it for about 4 years and nothing ever went wrong with it. For anyone thinking about getting one, don’t. They’re all show and totally not worth the hassle. Although Tap tap revenge is a frigging amazing game. Just sayin.

Posted by Garbear on June 29, 2010 at 12:33 AM (PDT)

Dear all, greetings from india, i have an iphone with the 3.1.3 version, i started facing this issue, that mostly my network seems to be searching and i cannot recieve/make calls, i tried changing the sim to different service provider, but all in vain,  also i found out that even if a single bar from my network is less i am not able to do anything….is it a hardware issue??

Posted by arpit handa on July 16, 2010 at 5:21 AM (PDT)

Hi, I have a 16gb 3gs Iphone, and a few weeks ago my iphone said that it needed to be hooked up to itunes to be restored, but it wouldnt restore after about 16 attempts. I just keep getting error 1002. I have also brought it to the local AT&T store where they also tried to restore it, but got the same error. I dont live near an Apple store, so can anyone help me fix this problem PLEASSSEE!

Posted by Shera on October 13, 2010 at 1:48 PM (PDT)

I have same problem with my iPad. Unfortunately I don’t live near any apple store so i have to send it back in the states. I tried connecting it in iTunes but still the problem wasn’t resolved. I hope you could help me. Thanks!

Posted by Jerome Gile on October 25, 2010 at 11:16 PM (PDT)

Ok, so today i decided to unlock my phone to any sim.. Great it work it now takes my VIRGIN sim card which has free internet on it free texts etc.. But theres a problem… It allows me on WI-FI, allows me on 3G internet from my sim, Allows me on PINGCHAT, Even says VIRGIN in the top left corner with my full signal bar… So the problem?? The phone wont let me SEND or RECEIVE texts and calls at the moment?? Ive tried everything?? Any ideas people?? Isit due to settings which allow out and incoming calls?? Have i got to restore it?? I have no idea what to do, its given me a headache trying everything PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEE!!

Posted by Matt May on November 17, 2010 at 12:16 PM (PDT)

I went to a website, entered login information… lost service in a high service area, turned airplane mode on and off quickly as to search for service again.. iphone still had no service.. reset it.. when it turned on it said ” Restore Needed - iPhone cannot make or receive calls. Restore from iTunes. http://www.apple.com/support ” - I am going to go home and try to restore this thing… all while trying to avoid losing everything to hurricane Irene.. I have to go home and grab my personal documents, clothing, and belongings…. and do this before my computer is wrecked.. please pray for me and my loved ones.

Posted by Joey Joe on August 27, 2011 at 10:59 AM (PDT)

My iphone 4 will not turn on without it plugged into the wall (computer boots it up to the apple logo, then turns back off; repeatedly) and when it is plugged into the wall it brings up “iphone cannot make or recieve calls, restore using iTunes”... well the computer wont turn it on and it looses power once unplugged.. I cant figure out anything about this… guess im going to haave to take it to plano - nearest apple store - and get it replaced?
This is crap though, i was using it all day and then around 5 it just died for no reason and i got home and this is what ive found out so far.. ive had it over a year and no problems till now.

Posted by PatrickH on September 3, 2012 at 10:39 PM (PDT)