So it begins: Made for Sansa launches, Made for Zune is next
As expected, SanDisk has officially announced and debuted a promotional page for its Made For iPod-style accessory licensing program Made for Sansa. (Sound familiar - super-familiar?) A few interesting things to note: as is the case with Microsoft’s Zune, SanDisk’s licensing terms are substantially more attractive than Apple’s, more transparently voluntary, and - no shock - designed to win over iPod accessory makers. The first seven companies to sign with SanDisk are Altec Lansing, DLO (Digital Lifestyle Outfitters), Griffin Technology, HandStands, Macally Peripherals, Maximo Products and Speck Products; the only unfamiliar one to iPod users will be Maximo, a unit of a company called Debisco, which appears to resell other companies’ cables and wireless devices.
So what sorts of goodies do Sansa owners get? In the “I saw that before” category, Altec’s created iM510, which looks like a recolored version of the low-end iM11 iPod speaker, DLO has some armbands and a car FM transmitter based on TransPod micro, Macally has repurposed virtually its entire line-up of low-end iPod accessories for Sansa, and Speck has several former iPod cases in new shapes. More interestingly - a first - Griffin has not only repurposed iTrip, a couple of chargers, and cases for Sansa, but has actually introduced new Sansa products before launching their iPod equivalents. Centerstage and Disko cases show off a new flipstand concept and a case with rotating lights, both eventually planned for iPod release as well.
Are these first accessories the start of something big for SanDisk, or just another attempt by iPod makers to cash in on their previous inventions? What do you think?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: iOS 9 will bring new security features, improve legacy device support
- Report: Apple’s push for local content may delay Apple’s TV service
- Adobe dropping Photoshop Touch in favor of more focused apps
- Report: Dual app viewing, multiple logins coming to iPad
- Transit coming to Apple Maps in iOS 9?
- Apple and IBM expand MobileFirst apps to Apple Watch
- Report: Pebble facing financial struggles?
- iOS 9 to include new Home app for HomeKit?
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Watch font to iOS 9
- Leak reveals Flow by Outlook, a Microsoft email messaging app for iPhone
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?