So it begins: Made for Sansa launches, Made for Zune is next
Published: Monday, September 4, 2006
As expected, SanDisk has officially announced and debuted a promotional page for its Made For iPod-style accessory licensing program Made for Sansa. (Sound familiar - super-familiar?) A few interesting things to note: as is the case with Microsoft’s Zune, SanDisk’s licensing terms are substantially more attractive than Apple’s, more transparently voluntary, and - no shock - designed to win over iPod accessory makers. The first seven companies to sign with SanDisk are Altec Lansing, DLO (Digital Lifestyle Outfitters), Griffin Technology, HandStands, Macally Peripherals, Maximo Products and Speck Products; the only unfamiliar one to iPod users will be Maximo, a unit of a company called Debisco, which appears to resell other companies’ cables and wireless devices.
So what sorts of goodies do Sansa owners get? In the “I saw that before” category, Altec’s created iM510, which looks like a recolored version of the low-end iM11 iPod speaker, DLO has some armbands and a car FM transmitter based on TransPod micro, Macally has repurposed virtually its entire line-up of low-end iPod accessories for Sansa, and Speck has several former iPod cases in new shapes. More interestingly - a first - Griffin has not only repurposed iTrip, a couple of chargers, and cases for Sansa, but has actually introduced new Sansa products before launching their iPod equivalents. Centerstage and Disko cases show off a new flipstand concept and a case with rotating lights, both eventually planned for iPod release as well.
Are these first accessories the start of something big for SanDisk, or just another attempt by iPod makers to cash in on their previous inventions? What do you think?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple updates Remote app with improved Apple TV integration
- iOS 7.1 reveals two new iPad models?
- Apple TV 6.1 update released, allows users to hide channels
- Apple releases iOS 7.1
- Apple iPhone trade-in program arrives in Canada
- Apple TV adds iTunes Festival channel
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Doggins
- Apps: Findery, Gmail 3.0, Real Racing 3 2.1 + Star Wars: KOTOR 1.2
- Apple ‘scrambling’ to meet FTC deadline on in-app purchases
- Report: Mercedes working on aftermarket CarPlay installations
- Grovemade Bamboo iPad Case for iPad mini
- Soundfreaq Sound Rise SFQ-08 Wireless Speaker with Alarm Clock
- Chil PowerShare Reactor 5.1 Amp Multidevice Charger
- TwelveSouth SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Neptor NP056K Dual Port Portable Battery Charger
- RooCase Dual-View 360 for iPad Air
- Mophie Space Pack for iPhone 5/5s
- SnowLizard Products SLXtreme 5 for iPhone 5/5s
- Lepow Moonstone 9000mAh Power Bank
- Thought Out PED4 Planet IPA10 for iPad Air
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Whether to include specific apps in iCloud backups
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone