So it begins: Made for Sansa launches, Made for Zune is next
Published: Monday, September 4, 2006
As expected, SanDisk has officially announced and debuted a promotional page for its Made For iPod-style accessory licensing program Made for Sansa. (Sound familiar - super-familiar?) A few interesting things to note: as is the case with Microsoft’s Zune, SanDisk’s licensing terms are substantially more attractive than Apple’s, more transparently voluntary, and - no shock - designed to win over iPod accessory makers. The first seven companies to sign with SanDisk are Altec Lansing, DLO (Digital Lifestyle Outfitters), Griffin Technology, HandStands, Macally Peripherals, Maximo Products and Speck Products; the only unfamiliar one to iPod users will be Maximo, a unit of a company called Debisco, which appears to resell other companies’ cables and wireless devices.
So what sorts of goodies do Sansa owners get? In the “I saw that before” category, Altec’s created iM510, which looks like a recolored version of the low-end iM11 iPod speaker, DLO has some armbands and a car FM transmitter based on TransPod micro, Macally has repurposed virtually its entire line-up of low-end iPod accessories for Sansa, and Speck has several former iPod cases in new shapes. More interestingly - a first - Griffin has not only repurposed iTrip, a couple of chargers, and cases for Sansa, but has actually introduced new Sansa products before launching their iPod equivalents. Centerstage and Disko cases show off a new flipstand concept and a case with rotating lights, both eventually planned for iPod release as well.
Are these first accessories the start of something big for SanDisk, or just another attempt by iPod makers to cash in on their previous inventions? What do you think?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple TV adds FOX Now, CNBC channels
- Popular Bitcoin wallet app Blockchain returns to App Store
- Report: Apple Stores to support carrier early iPhone upgrade programs
- Report: Apple buying talk radio app Swell
- Congress passes bill to legalize phone unlocking
- Bose sues Beats over noise-canceling patents
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Modern Combat 5: Blackout
- Apps of the Week: ShipAntics, Modern Combat 5, This American Life 3.0 + more
- Report: Apple could launch own mobile wallet this fall
- Report: Apple ‘tentatively’ plans mid-September iPhone event
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks